PDA

View Full Version : US Blackhawk trims trees in Austria

Flyting
29th Jul 2017, 08:30
VIENNA — Austrian defense officials say a U.S. military Black Hawk helicopter with seven people on board had to make an emergency landing west of Vienna after it flew too low during a storm and scraped against tree branches.

Austrian Col. Michael Bauer says the chopper was to be repaired Friday by U.S. technicians, a day after landing in a field. Nobody was injured.

Bauer says the Blackhawk was returning to Germany from NATO exercises in Hungary when the crew asked Austrian authorities for permission to land after the branches damaged the cockpit and the tail.

US-Militärhubschrauber musste auf Feld notlanden - Bäume gestreift - Österreich - krone.at (http://www.krone.at/oesterreich/us-militaerhubschrauber-musste-auf-feld-notlanden-baeume-gestreift-story-580788)

Lonewolf_50
30th Jul 2017, 04:21
That will be an awkward conversation with the CO.
http://imgl.krone.at/Bilder/2017/07/28/US-Militaerhubschrauber-musste-auf-Feld-notlanden-Baeume-gestreift-story-580788_630x356px_a95c34bcc821c1c9313d47cbdd14d850__anhang_3_ _jpg.jpg

Self loading bear
30th Jul 2017, 20:55
But easier than the one they nearly had with their God ....

I think God threats every pilot equally.
I only wonder sometimes if He would need to think about traffic separation as it gets quite busy on Flight level infinity.

Cheers SLB

gulliBell
31st Jul 2017, 02:52
That will be an awkward conversation with the CO.

Yes. One of those meetings with the CO for coffee where there is no coffee, and the conversation is mostly one-way. Unless of course the CO was driving, in which case it wouldn't be the first time a CO had clipped a tree and had to schedule one of those coffee meetings with himself. Although the Brigadier usually invites himself to those coffee meetings.

Ascend Charlie
31st Jul 2017, 05:20
"It was a birdstrike, sir!"

"Maybe so, but the bird was in a f****g big tree at the time!"

westhawk
31st Jul 2017, 06:32
The UH-60 is an expensive, but effective weed whacker and tree trimmer. The US Army could open a side business! Well let's just say they've trimmed allot of trees. When I was stationed in Germany in the eighties, I went on a recovery mission to the forest where one of our 60s had created a whiteout while landing and drifted some. We sling loaded some replacement blades out and helped to install them so they could fly it home. Another time, speed tape was deemed sufficient by the Sikorsky tech rep to get a bird back to base. I guess one could say it's almost routine! Nothing compared to the stories I've heard from the old-timers about the UH-1 in Vietnam though

gulliBell
31st Jul 2017, 11:42
...I guess one could say it's almost routine!..

Maybe, but those meetings for coffee with the CO after one of those mentioned routine episodes is never routine.

SansAnhedral
31st Jul 2017, 19:49
reminiscent of the infamous lumberhawk incident

https://i.imgur.com/dIipvlJ.jpg

krypton_john
31st Jul 2017, 20:44
Meh. If it was a Huey they'd just fly it away and send someone back later to plant some new trees.

westhawk
31st Jul 2017, 22:10
Maybe, but those meetings for coffee with the CO after one of those mentioned routine episodes is never routine.

I'd imagine not. Unless said officer wants to be assigned as the new chow hall or base beautification officer!