PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour Holter report

benF
28th Jul 2017, 17:11
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice... I had my initial Class 1 at Gatwick ~2.5 months ago. My ECG showed sinus tachycardia (103 bpm and then 110 bpm on a repeat - I blame white coat syndrome) and I was told to do a 24 hour Holter ECG. I've finally received the report (AME didn't seem in too much of a hurry...) and a referral to see a cardiologist. I'm a 24 yo male, don't smoke, don't drink, no medication, no family history of heart problems, no symptoms and, as far as I know, I'm fit and well.

Frustratingly the cardiologist isn't available for another 5 weeks! I'm posting the report findings below in the hopes that someone can advise what the likely outcome of this will be, and whether I need to brace myself to shell out more money for tests (and time). I've added other info from the report in square brackets.

Max HR: 124 bpm
Mean HR: 73 bpm
Min HR: 41 bpm

Sinus rhythm with infrequent periods of sinus tachycardia and nocturnal sinus bradycardia [53 beats between 11pm and 2am, min rate 35 bpm].
3 dropped beats were seen within the context of sinus arrhythmia [between 5 and 7 am - I was asleep].
Very infrequent short pauses terminating in what appear to be junctional escape beats were identified, please see operator selected disclosure [an ECG trace added at the end shows one gap of 1.6 secs between the big 'spikes' - RR interval I think? - again I was asleep at the time].
2 multifocal ventricular ectopic beats were detected [between 9 and 11 am].
No patient diary was provided and no events were activated on the recorder.

A bit of Googling (dangerous I know) seems to suggest that nocturnal short pauses and sinus bradycardia might be common in healthy young people? http://www.bhrs.com/editorial-arrhythmias-during-sleep)

Any advice welcome, but I appreciate it's up to the medical people in the end. I'm trying not to worry too much but the long delays between hearing anything doesn't help. :ugh:

Cheers!

Homsap
29th Jul 2017, 11:06
BenF... are the CAA Gatwick still doing initial class ones, I thought initial class ones could only be done by three private London clinics?

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Jul 2017, 14:18
No the CAA does not longer do initial Class 1 examinations, however one of the AeMCs is in Gatwick.

obgraham
29th Jul 2017, 16:36
I won't predict what the aeromedical folks will say, except that it would surprise me if they say anything significant. Your report seems very benign to me, and certainly less impressive than my own bizarre Holter report with 4000 pvc's!

I think my medical profession does not appreciate the frequency and severity of the "white coat" syndrome -- especially when it is a doctor!

benF
30th Jul 2017, 11:12
That's reassuring to know - thank you obgraham.