PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary Systolic Murmur as reason for not being able to become pilot?

FlyMario
27th Jul 2017, 13:24
Hi guys. I am 21 years old guy that dreamed of being a army pilot, but now my dreams are crashed. I was on medical exam because I applied for army pilot, but they discovered pulmonary systolic murmur (https://www.symptoma.com/en/ddx/pulmonary-systolic-murmur). I was thinking about maybe applying for some airline, but I am not sure they will let me be airline pilot due to that murmur. Or maybe I should just try for PPL ? Or sport pilot? I really don't know anymore..

Radgirl
27th Jul 2017, 18:24
So the doctor has heard a noise with his stethoscope - a murmur is doctor speak for noise.

He is being clever and thinks it is coming from the pulmonary valve, although several studies have shown that our ability to make a diagnosis just by listening in fit adults is about the same as a monkey tossing a coin

So you need an echocardiogram which is an ultrasound of the heart. Takes 15 minutes, completely safe, and done by a cardiology ultrastenographer. That will give a diagnosis. It may just be a flow murmur which is a normal valve, but lets not guess. Once you have a diagnosis you can discover what sort of medical you can pass

B2N2
27th Jul 2017, 19:06
What type of tests were done?