PDA

View Full Version : A-320 Anti Ice use

WING7
16th Jul 2017, 01:29
Airbus FCOM´s FCTM and QRH recently deleted all references directly stating anti ice use - for the cruise segment -
No doubt we can be at cruise and find icing conditions with need for anti ice use.

Anyone knows why they decided to delete the mentioned info?

safelife
16th Jul 2017, 10:07
Within common sense, and general aviation knowledge?
Unless that got deleted also?

PEI_3721
16th Jul 2017, 10:41
WING7, I do not know about the specific Airbus position, but in common with some modern aircraft, experience may indicate that continuous ‘anti icing’ during cruise may not be justified.
Much of this depends on how the aircraft system has been certificated. Anti icing is normally associated with continuous use, more likely at low altitudes, whereas in-flight intermittent ‘de-icing’ could be used as required, either where ice accumulation has been identified, or if there is temporary risk of encountering higher categories of icing during the cruise; in which case the system's use becomes anti-icing; crew awareness / decision.
Ask the manufacturer to comment on the certification standard and recommended practices for the system.

I recall that there has been a significant rethinking (amendment) of the icing certification standards. This may change definitions and system use.
Also, even if the new regulations are not retrospective, Airbus may have adopted the best best-practices in operation or has related previous certification to the higher standard; indicating that an older aircraft would meet a new standard, even if formal documentation does not state that.

compressor stall
16th Jul 2017, 11:35
From Airbus...

Recommendations related to the use of Wing Anti-Ice and Engine Anti-Ice are moved from the FCOM PRO-SUP-30 Ice and Rain Protection to the FCOM PRO-NOR-SOPs.

FlightDetent
16th Jul 2017, 12:11
It is a bit of a mess. There are E-AI paragraphs in SOP CLB and DES/preparation, and a new LIM part to define what constitutes icing conditions. However, there is no CRZ anti-ice use section.

Previously, which is the OP's concern if I am not mistaken, the guideliness for cruise were:
- in cloud and SAT below -40: not required
- in cloud in the vicinity of CBs, even if SAT below -40: required.

When I tried to deduce the present CRZ rules from the new CLB and DES/prepartion paragraphs, I came to opposing results. Too lazy to post pictures of the text at the moment.

It seems the CRZ section is missing (wrongly), and whoever worded the CLB paragraph got me confused. Unless, for cruise now they want us to keep the E.A-I ON in cloud regardless of SAT - because that's what the CLB section wording implies.

PRO-NOR-SOP-13 "A: After Take-Off" -> ENG ANTI-ICE pb-sw
PRO-NOR-SOP-16 "A: Descent preparation" -> ENG ANTI-ICE pb-sw
LIM-ICE_RAIN "A: DEFINITION OF ICING CONDITIONS"

We should have a look into the AFM, actually.

FlightDetent
16th Jul 2017, 12:16
No changes to the rules in AFM.

FCOM new wording definitely NOT helpful.

WING7
16th Jul 2017, 15:31
Spot on Flight Detent.

They now present this very confusing and even a guess on what they want ends up with contradictions based on their statements
/ lack of statements.

Superpilot
16th Jul 2017, 15:40
I thought Airbus changed this (for the A330 after AF)? Wasnt the saying now that you can get ice even below -40?

Lantirn
22nd Jul 2017, 13:46
Hm, strange.

Usually Airbus takes some time to refine changes, i figured out it is about 1 year. (like starter limitations, residual EGT in manual start lol)

Our SOPs have the "old way" use of anti ice, but in FCOM is unclear.

applecrumble
22nd Jul 2017, 14:02
- in cloud in the vicinity of CBs, even if SAT below -40

I have never seen that written in an Airbus manual. Have you get a screen shot of that from an old manual?

Lantirn
22nd Jul 2017, 21:02
Our SOP's state the same. However I cant find it in the FCOM.

dream747
23rd Jul 2017, 01:18
I don't have access to the old manuals now, but I vaguely recall that it's written somewhere in the FCTM. Something along the lines of engine anti-ice should be on when operating in icing conditions or near CBs. Does anyone still have that reference?

Separately, the new FCTM does have a lot more write-ups about icing and how it can occur - Ice crystal section. In the region where I operate, very often even when the OAT is -50 degrees Celsius we see ice forming on the wipers after a while. Maybe the new procedure is to cater for possibilities like this.

sierra_mike
24th Jul 2017, 14:52
from FCOM-PRO-NOR-SOP-Descent Preparation

ENG ANTI-ICE pb-sw.....................................AS RQRD
Engine anti-ice must be set to ON before and during descent, event if the SAT is below -40 °C (-40 °F).