PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Speed

litkid_2000
13th Jul 2002, 19:14
2 weeks ago I flew from Manchester to Palma with air 2000.

The 757 touched down- spoilers up and reverse-thrust activated etc, we then left the runway pretty dam fast. The reverse thrust still activated, feeing the aircraft braking we taxied.

Is this acceptable?

the gate was right infront of that particular taxiway the aircraft taxied alnong.

Must have left the runway at 70kts at least.

comments?

Wino
13th Jul 2002, 19:40
Hispeed turnoffs (they look like forks in the road) are designed for just that thing. 66 knots I believe is what they are designed for, so 70 knots aint a bad guess <G>..

Cheers
Wino

GoneWest
14th Jul 2002, 00:38
Can I ask you - where were you sitting in that 757 (front, back, window, aisle, etc) and what computation you used to measure the 70 knots (at least).?

expedite_climb
14th Jul 2002, 08:54
At Palma they've just (in the last couple of months), opened a new high speed taxiway of rwy 24L, it goes right up to the 'cul de sac' area of stands.

Just because the speedbrakes were out doesnt mean they were intended for slowing down, in my company the capt retracts the speedbrakes as a signal for FO to commence the after landing scan. Don't know about Air 2000, but speed brakes will make very little difference at 60 / 70 kts, christ they hardly do anything at 200 kts !

Reverse idle can be used down to taxi speed safely.

litkid_2000
15th Jul 2002, 09:45
Yeah expedite, we did land on 24L and taxied straight up to the cul-de-sac, so it was the high speed taxiway you were refereing to.

That explains then.

Thanks guys.