PDA

View Full Version : RU Takin your PPL RT Written test - Here's some Hints / Tips

keeders
28th Nov 2001, 21:59
Pleased to say that I have just passed the PPL Rt written test at the second attempt. Anyway, not wishing to blow my own trumpet, I thought that there might be others who as the Confuser doesn't cover the RT side of things might appreciate a few tips. Here goes...

1. Try to memorise the responses to standard messages, I used acronyms for this i.e. for pass your message it was

C - CALLSIGN / AIRCRAFT TYPE
P - POINT OF DEPARTURE / POSITION
H - HEADING
F - FLIGHT LEVEL
I - INTENTIONS
T - TYPE OF SERVICE REQUIRED

You need to do this for responses to, pass your mesage as above, mAYDAY CALLS, In flight - flight plans, Position Reports & MATZ penetration requests.

2.Definitions - you don't need to remember them all, but the major ones definitely. (If anyone wants more detail, please email me. ATIS came up in the exam)

3. Transmission of numbers & Callsigns

4. types of callsigns, i.e. GROUND, CONTROL, TOWER etc.

5. Categories of message - distress / urgency/ DF Comms etc

6. Standard words / phrases i.e. ROGER / WILCO / AFFIRM etc.

7. Differences between clearances / conditional clearances.

8. Types of service - Flight Information Service / Radar Information Service etc.

9. Q Codes, QNH & QFE but also QDR/QDM etc. Also accuracy of DF bearings.

That's pretty much all I can think of for the moment. If anything else springs to mind I will add it later. As above, if anyone wants a more detailed explanation, please email me.

Cheers & hope it helps,

Keeders - ;)

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: keeders ]

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: keeders ]