PDA

View Full Version : R66 Limitations Question

Veveritza
9th Jul 2017, 09:08
Can anyone please advice me on the limitations of the R66 Turbine helicopter on operating at high altitudes? I would like to know the dangers when operating at over 10 000 feet landing and picking up on average 3 pax.

What is the opinion of the experienced pilots on here operating a R66 at 10 000 feet plus altitudes for mountain rescues etc.

In my opinion and experience I am sure the engine has enough power but the tail rotor loosing efficiency is my concern?....please advice...

Gray 14
9th Jul 2017, 12:16
Check the performance section of the aircraft flight manual.

FSXPilot
9th Jul 2017, 13:48
https://robinsonheli.com/r66-pilots-handbook/

helicopter-redeye
9th Jul 2017, 15:33
I wouldn't have had the R66 high on the list of candidates for mountain rescues

Veveritza
9th Jul 2017, 15:46
Check the performance section of the aircraft flight manual.

Thank you...that was first on my list....now I want practical opinions and not graphs in the POH...

Veveritza
9th Jul 2017, 15:47
I wouldn't have had the R66 high on the list of candidates

Thank you I fully agree with you....I just need a bit more "pro" feedback to change the minds of the "cowboys" actually doing it...

Veveritza
9th Jul 2017, 15:51
https://robinsonheli.com/r66-pilots-handbook/

Thank you....I have the POH...I know of a Eurocopter crash that was executed "excatly" as the POH subcribes it and they crashed! I need hands on opinions here please...not referring to graphs in a POH....the POH is just a guideline and to be quite honest Robinson says it can hover like OGE at 10 000 feet....it can not....it falls to the ground over 8000 feet on a OGE hover....so I am not very keen on figures when flying helicopters...

12th Jul 2017, 11:33
If you are within your torque and MGT limits - and remember the graph is for 5 minute power only, not continuous - then if it won't hover OGE at altitude you should probably ask Robinson why not.

nigelh
12th Jul 2017, 11:37
You could use it then use a proper helicopter to rescue both lots ....

spbh
17th Jul 2017, 14:23
If you look at the limitations of any Robinson they've capped performance at 14,000. The 66 is a couple hundred pounds lighter with a turbine engine so naturally it will outperform a 44.

The performance charts in the POH are heavily underrated. If it doesn't hover OGE at 8,000 you should check your aircraft or pilot. We've flown them up to 14,000 with no problems. Keep ETL until you're IGE and you're well within limits. Tail rotor authority is also much better than expected.

Edwardwilson
17th Jul 2017, 19:20
Thank you....I have the POH...I know of a Eurocopter crash that was executed "excatly" as the POH subcribes it and they crashed! I need hands on opinions here please...not referring to graphs in a POH....the POH is just a guideline and to be quite honest Robinson says it can hover like OGE at 10 000 feet....it can not....it falls to the ground over 8000 feet on a OGE hover....so I am not very keen on figures when flying helicopters...

How exactly does the POH describe the proper way to crash a helicopter?

herman the crab
18th Jul 2017, 04:38
If you are within your torque and MGT limits - and remember the graph is for 5 minute power only, not continuous - then if it won't hover OGE at altitude you should probably ask Robinson why not.

And probably the FAA...

HTC

Twist & Shout
18th Jul 2017, 06:45

It "falls to the ground over 8000 feet on an OGE hover"

Does it:
Over pitch (lose RRPM - in case your lack of keenness on "figures" extends to technical terms.)?
Hit the collective up stop?
Become affected by an evil spirit?
Something else?