PDA

View Full Version : weather radar problem

alikiashemshaki
6th Jul 2017, 18:09
hi a320 weather radar after lift off is inop?
can you help me

Capt Scribble
6th Jul 2017, 22:36
If you think that your route is clear of storms, continue. But you might consider the next sector and whether you get stuck down route.

CaptainMongo
7th Jul 2017, 03:33
Did you get a WX FAIL message? Did you cycle the radar? Did you check for tripped CB's? What did your preflight review of enroute WX indicate? Scattered storms or a line? Is there an enroute stop before a line where mx can fix the radar? What does your operations manual suggest to do in that situation?

I had this a few years back, at night over Atlanta. I gave the aircraft to the FO and told him to fly where he could see the lights on the ground so we would avoid over flying a cell (of course notifying ATC of our problem) . ATC was as helpful as possible - their radars aren't set to specifically look for storms but can help. Other aircraft were in the area which also provided more info. Dispatch conferenced in with system maintenance - there was no reset for the radar. Our aircraft are equipped with internet - it was not yet authorized for cockpit use. None the less, I purchased internet and loaded up our weather app. and continuously plotted our position (new WX app does that automatically) . That coupled with dispatch info, ATC info and other aircraft info provided us with a comprehensive picture which allowed us to pick our way in the clear through the scattered thunderstorms.

Had it been a line of storms I would have reversed course and diverted if circumnavigation would not have been an option. Yeah that problem is a gut check, that's why you get paid the big bucks...

Uplinker
7th Jul 2017, 03:38
From the MEL:

Weather radar: One fitted, none required.

If IMC, day or night, the forecast weather conditions must be clear of CB's on your route.

If VMC daytime you can look out of the window.

Caution, your Predictive Windshear system will be inop too.

CaptainMongo
7th Jul 2017, 12:42
For our operations we do not apply MEL limitations for a malfunction which occurs after take off thrust application.

Intruder
7th Jul 2017, 17:45
However, the MEL/DDPG contains information that is often useful for decision-making after any non-normal procedures are completed.

albatross
7th Jul 2017, 18:12
Well said Intruder!
Just as an example ..
Blast Off into the murk and Mr. Radar resigns...Your destination has forecast CBs..."OK what do we do now?"
"MEL doesn't apply so we're good to continue." would not be my go-to-decision.
In Offshore Helicopter World ...if the destination is IFR ..the approach requires a WX Radar so you are not going to press on.

Amadis of Gaul
7th Jul 2017, 19:36
hi a320 weather radar after lift off is inop?
can you help me

I would cry like a little girl.

CaptainMongo
7th Jul 2017, 22:55
However, the MEL/DDPG contains information that is often useful for decision-making after any non-normal procedures are completed.

No argument there. Just as speaking with system maintenance and dispatch regarding a post departure maintenance issue helps in decision making. However I am not going to unnecessarily hamstring myself by applying MEL limitations which are not in effect.