PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pilot- Initial Class 1 medical- CAA and Anthracycline Chemotherapy

B_R95
24th Jun 2017, 21:29
I am wondering if there is any one else out there who has had Anthracycline chemotherapy at all (Epirubicin) and if so would you mind sharing any experiences with the CAA process and how they deal with it- i.e.- is it a complete write off or is there any chance? I understand that a few years ago, people were somewhat hounded if they had this type of chemotherapy, has the CAA's view got worse or has it 'laxed' at all? I appreciate that each medical case is different, but just really keen to try and get a broad sense if at all possible.

Bit of background, now 19 and a half years - clear (had last treatment when I was two years of age), included surgery and Anthracycline chemotherapy (Epirubicin) of which I had a very small dose (well below what the surgeons considered a safe dosage- unsure exactly how much, but thats what they said to me?). Perfectly fit and healthy, heart scans, bloods are all good (touch wood it continue's).

As I have said, if there is anyone else out there that has been through similar 'hoops' I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Many Thanks

Phororhacos
26th Jun 2017, 18:09
This is not answering your specific question about personal experience, but if you have not already done so you might want to look at this https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294973479 which is the UK CAA anthracycline protocol.

Also, looking at https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Oncology/Oncology-guidance-material-GM/

(which is the general Oncology guidance material) may also be helpful.

If you have already seen these, I hope someone comes along soon to pass on their experiences.

wiggy
27th Jun 2017, 11:33
No personal experience of Anthracyclines myself but I'd certainly recommend looking at the documents Phororhacos has referred to.

I do know that even very recently at least some UK AME's were still keen to know if Anthracycline is/was involved in any chemo, so it looks like it's still a "hot" issue..