PDA

View Full Version : F/A QANTASLINK - Impulse Airlines

Paulsyd1
12th Jul 2002, 22:40
Expressions of Interest for Flight Attendants

QantasLink, operated by Impulse Airlines, have recently Advertised for expressions of interest for Flight Attendants, for possible future employment.

S.M.H Weekend edition, July 13-14 2002.
Pge 23 of the Career section.

They will ONLY accept on-line applications, inclusive of both the application form and your full resume.

On the Impulse Airlines Website at www.impulse.com.au

Applicants must be Permanent Residents of Australia.

Closing date for expressions of interest is close of business Friday, 19th July 2002.

Interested in hearing from current FA's working for QantasLink or Impulse Airlines on working conditions, Pay, Rosters etc. also the possibility of moving to the main line QF carrier later.

Regards;)

cabinboy
13th Jul 2002, 01:22
Paul,

MrSeatback2 or Ditzyboy would be the best people to speak to regarding employment conditions at Impulse. The Impulse crew are a great bunch and I'm sure you would enjoy working for them. Unfortunatly there is no progression to mainline QF at this stage as with other QF subsidiary carriers.

SydGirl
13th Jul 2002, 05:06
That's not entirely right cabinboy... it is true that you cannot transfer to mainline QF from Impulse. That of course does not mean that Impulse crew cannot apply for Qantas if and when it becomes available - however they will have to resign their position at Impulse and they would go to Qantas as if they had only just started with the company.

Other subsidiaries do not work the same way. Employees of Eastern, Sunstate and Airlink are able to move to mainline Qantas after a qualifying period. Also if you do move to Qantas then your previous years of service count. If you can't wait until that qualifying period is over, then you can apply for Qantas externally but you will go over as if you had just started with the company.

That is my understanding, I am sure DASH would know more about this though.

SG
:)

cloud nine
13th Jul 2002, 07:33
Yes thats correct what Cabinboy said, there is no progression to QF mainline at the moment if you are employed by Impulse. Other Qantaslink carriers do offer progression but it can take a few years to get there.

By all means, anyone can apply when QF advertise externally.

My belief is that Impulse do not give there employees staff travel benefits either. But I have heard that they are a good company to work for.

ditzyboy
13th Jul 2002, 11:11
Impulse staff get staff travel on all Impulse operated services after 6 months employment (I think... When I started it was 3.) The travel includes one's self and your immediate family or a nominated companion.

My opinion (as I always have one :) ) is that it is pretty lame but it is a perk and does come in handy. Yeh, for those raging weekends in HBA! hehehe... Also it seems that a Caterer's Uncle's Friend's Kitten gets higher boarding priority than us when we do travel on our limited network! But we are only new to the QF family so it can only get better with time. Oh and besides, with $66 internet fares to MEL and even the standard $89, it is better to have a confirmed seat than travel on standby for $50 odd each way. And when you start at QF your seniority isn't going to get you anywhere for the first few years on near full flights anyway.

Cloud nine - Yes. I think that is a great company to work for and gets better every day. I got shafted by crewing BIG time this week end but it comes with the job I guess. Grrrr......

Cabinboy - Yes. We are a FANTASTIC bunch of people, if I don't say so myself. And love your work too, sister!

Paulsyd1
13th Jul 2002, 11:51
Ditzyboy, and others... :t

You are a wealth of knowledge and a great asset to others like myself, and those applying to different carriers at the moment.

Thank You;)

Those of you that have obtained positions over the last year understand how us "Newbies" appreciate an insiders point of view.. and their tips for getting thru!!!

Does anyone have any indication of how many FA's they are lookin to recruit.. and when they are talking about conducting interviews?

Mr D :cool: , the interview process >>> was it similar to the QF recruitment process ??
Would Luv to hear more.. feel free to contact me by e-mail.
Look FWD to hopefully workin one day with you! and partying hard in HBA (yeh! hehehe!) CabinBoy, your more than welcome to come dwn and join us... although i'm sure drinkin cocktails poolside in sunny QLD is much more fun!!:rolleyes:

Keep cool kids....

Paul.:D

bella75
13th Jul 2002, 13:45
Hey pauly,
Welcome to Pprune!! your thoughts and contributions for a first time user are much appreciated...I'll share a bottle of bubbly with you at "Biggles" bar...Holiday Inn...anytime...all the best for your up coming interviews...You'll be a great asset to any employer
Regards Bella75:D :D

Jerry Attrick
14th Jul 2002, 01:04
Ditzyboy, I read on another thread that you'd just finished a six day block of 10-11 hour days - is this a normal shift pattern for Qantaslink flight attendants? It sounds very excessive, bordering on illegal. I was under the impression Qantaslink crew were treated very well but I'm afraid six days of 10-11 hour days doesn't sound very promising.

ditzyboy
14th Jul 2002, 06:25
Jerry -

It is very unusual for us to work like we have been lately. A combination of rapid expansion and lots of sick days (thanks to winter!) is the reason. The usual max sectors is 4 for us (some have done 6 but it isnt the norm). The block I have just done was a lot of very long sectors and one or two 2 hour turn arounds thorwn in. It isn't illegal, and unless you have the EBA in front of you it, isnt really your place to comment. A couple of dispensations were sought for a lot of us to extend duties though, to my knowledge nothing 'illegal' was worked. And by dispensation I mean financial rewards and extra days off so I will not be whining next pay! :)

Bella75 -

When for the bubbly? :) Sign me up!

Paul -

Welcome. I don't know about numbers though apparently we are getting even more aircraft, though this hasn't been confirmed by anyone important! I don't know what the QF interview process is like first hand and when I started at Impulse it was VERY different to what is in place now. I have a general idea through chatting with some newer FAs and also talking to recruiters. So I will attempt to email you soon. OK as far as management goes and great colleagues! I almost always have a great time at work! The money is cool and rewards for working hard are in line with industry standards (some exceed!). Single aircraft endoresment and the very basic product QF have us serving make the money seem even better (in my opinion.). The aircraft are new, passengers generally OK (though I don't like MCY flights!) and you aren't really in danger of chipping a nail under normal circumstances!

cabinboy
14th Jul 2002, 11:20
Actually SydGirl your not entirely correct ! hehe

I never said that Impulse staff can't apply externally, I just addressed the issue of " progression" which was what paul asked for " also the possibility of moving to the main line QF carrier later. " Of course anyone can apply externally but only the the staff of Sunstate, Eastern and Southern can progress at this stage. Airlink being a contracter to QF DOES NOT have progession available as these f/a's are employed by NJS, however this would not stop them from applying externally should they wish.

In terms of seniorty being transferred as far as I was aware this was non existant. The reply I have been given by management is that my " Date of Joining " for staff travel purposes will be forfeited with a new QF mainline date being assigned, but my J class upgrades on intl sectors will be recognised from my first joining date of any QF company. ( confused !
:confused: ) Biscut Chucker maybe you can help with this ? Is there any other type of seniorty in SH that would be carried on from a regional carrier ?

Bubbly ? Sign me up too guys ! I'm never late for an appointment with the opening of any champaigne bottle.

CB

Cart_tart
14th Jul 2002, 14:32
Cabin Boy is right SydGirl. Airlink FA's/Pilots do not have any sort of progression into mainline QF. We have to apply the same way as the general public do.
We don't get ID travel on mainline, we can only get it on Airlink operated flights and even thats hard to do. And besides - who wants to go on holiday to the majority of places we fly to anyway. Most of us do it for the love of the job, not the money or the perks cause we don't get a huge amount of either.
Ditzy is right with the 6 day blocks and 10 - 11 hour days. All normal in the regional world I'm afraid. They work your cotton socks off! I just had my first block of 2 days off in a row in ages. I worked 3 weeks only having had 2 days off in there - all legal too! Can't complain too much though. I love the job and you have to work hard to get anywhere in life. I'd love to end up in Longhaul and i can't wait for the day I get there! Till then I'll keep on going, working hard for little in return, knowing that it will get me to greener pastures eventually!

SydGirl
14th Jul 2002, 20:37
Eeek sorry about all the confusion! I typed up Airlink but I should have typed Southern - can't you guys read my mind? Sheesh!
Once I reread your post cabinboy I realised what you said - and you are totally correct! Please pardon my confusion!

SG

cabinboy
16th Jul 2002, 07:17
Hey Sydgirl - no problems ! we all make mistakes. We only ever see you every now and again on this site ? What airline you with ?

Cart Tart - long haul would snap you up in flash, I highly doubt your experience would go unoticed. Anyone who can operate PER-AYQ-CNS with 2 f/a's and 65 odd pax on a 146 has my respect.

Ciao for now

CB

jayne
18th Jul 2002, 07:48
Hey cart -tart. Doesn't it suck that we can't get staff travel on Qantas mainline. I work for impulse/qantas link/ qanpulse whatever you want to call us. It just doesn't seem right how we wear the qantas uniform, do everythibg the qantas way, have qantas-link on the side of our planes yet they won't give us staff travel. Qantas mainline can get staff travel on our flights yet we can't on there flights. Where is the fairness in that? And like ditzyboy said, our priority to get on our own planes is the lowest. A Qanatas mainline F/A grandmothers cat gets on before us and we work on the bloody plane. It just doesn't seem fair? What do you guys think?? Am I being too harsh. I don't think it is too much to ask to be treated equally. We are the "outcasts" of qantas and are treated that way.
Anyway some goss about Impulse. Wear a nice suit to interviews, smile, eye contact, confidence (not too much), listen. Blah blah.
Usually group interview first with tables of 8. Group activities. DONT BE NERVOUS. Be relaxed. Approx 2hrs. 2nd interview with two on one. Questions, Why work for impulse? Why they should choose you? Difficult situation with a customer? How you have gone out of your way for someone? Think of specific examples. Be prepared. Practice in your car while driving. ( the process may have changed but i'm sure it's similar). The results centre has a fantastic book about interview questions.
Depending where your base is depends on your overnights. Usually 7 overnights a month. Money good for overnights but heard they are trying to cut them right back to save $. If no overnights usually get approx $1100 a fortnight. Coming into a new EBA so things may change. 6 weeks holiday a year and you have to choose all 6 at beginning of the year. Seniority counts if you want xmas off. Rosters done by computer so goodluck in getting a weekend off. Some rosters are good. They do work you 6days straight with one day off then another 5 days on 2 days off etc but you do get 10 days off a month and a few standby days which you always get called out for. Lots of early starts (getting up at 4.00am is not fun) especially out of sydney. It's hard on your body as you get up early one day then late the next. You can't get into a routine. Gosh I sound like a negative nancy but it's true. Flying is hard work. I guess you don't know if it's for you untill you do it.
We are a great bunch of people and have great time together when we work. I wish you all the best of luck with your interviews and if you have any questions please ask away!
GOODLUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!
Love jaynexoxoxo
P.S Is it true that you can't donate your organs after 5 years of being a pilot or flight attendnt?

tyra
20th Jul 2002, 11:12
for all of you wishing to apply to impulse/qantaslink, good luck, but be prepared to work very HARD! Sure we dont get paid the same as mainline, but we are only endorsed on one aricraft type, dont offer business class, and between 4 cabin crew, the max amount of pax we look after is 117. If you are going for an interview, here are some friendly tips; smile (lots) dont be too loud or over the top, remember to speak properly and have good mannerisms, speak from the heart(not too rehearsed) and look like you are enjoying yourself. Remember though, we are not mainline, so please dont expect the same pay and conditions as the mainline f/a's get. Its true, our organisation needs lots of improvement, but in the 2 yrs I have been with the company, its come a long way and will only get better. We have a unique culture at Impulse and warmly welcome like minded individuals to come and join our company. So good luck with up coming interviews1

tyra
20th Jul 2002, 11:57
pay for impulse f/a's is $35000 and $42000 for pursers. That is the base and then you get allowances on top of that for a whole range of things like; live days, overnights, rest break allowance, day off pay(where u work on a day off $250 per day ) shoe allowance etc, etc

flightbunny
21st Jul 2002, 02:40
hi,

well i sent my application to impulse. i was wondering if anyone else did not receive an automatic email response saying the usual 'we have received your application' etc? i did not get one and the other times i applied they sent one back straight away.

also did everyone else who applied have trouble with the font and colour on the application form..mine was doing some weird stuff when i downloaded it???

any replies would be appreciated. thanks:) :D :cool:

vdd
21st Jul 2002, 11:30
Hey Flightbunny

I had some problems with my application as well. I found some of my typing became automatically bold and that I couldn't type in the shaded boxes... so I had to delete some of the boxes and type in the place they were in.

I didn't get an immediate automatic response either, it came about two days later.

Cheers
:D :D

penny_benjamin
22nd Jul 2002, 06:46
The "dashers" only get $1100 if they have major meal allowances earned by working a five or six day week of 9-10hr days and you only get them once a month.
Good pay/bad pay. If the "dashers" got $1100 every fortnight, I'm sure they would more than appreciate it!
The last 12mth period averages $31000-32000, $33000 if ur a trainer(!!!) AND that's a third year wage!!!
Why do we do it to ourselves???
Why do we work our guts out for peanuts???(or minties for that fact!).
What were the good things again???
pb

:rolleyes:

cloud nine
22nd Jul 2002, 07:15
I hear you Penny B,

It's definatley for the love of it huh? Oh, and the CBR overnights ( very Ritzy) :)

cabinboy
22nd Jul 2002, 07:52
Hey Cloudy is that the " spa " rooms you are talking about ? I've heard a few stories of what you Eastern crews get up to on those o/n's ! ( No doubt that your the most common offender ! :eek: )

cloud nine
22nd Jul 2002, 11:36
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Paulsyd1
24th Jul 2002, 00:53
Flightbunny, Vdd.

I too had problems with my application. I have sent it through to Impulse, but as yet have had no response... (No error msges either, which i spose is good:confused: )

Hope to hear something from them soon...

All the best kids!

:D

Maradona
25th Jul 2002, 00:04
Where does Impulse fly too?

flightbunny
25th Jul 2002, 01:10
hi all,

i've got an impulse interview on tue from 10-1130am.. was told only to wear business attire and not to bring anything as they have resume!!!! i hope i get somewhere with this... anyway if anyone else going to that session let me know...

the girl i spoke to at impulse said there will be about 50 people at that session...

:) :D :p

ditzyboy
25th Jul 2002, 06:48
Impulse fly:

SYD-NTL MEL-HBA
SYD-HBA MEL-LST
SYD-LST MEL-OOL
SYD-OOL MEL-MCY
SYD-MCY
SYD-ROK OOL-HBA
SYD-MKY OOL-ADL
SYD-HTI
SYD-PPP
STD-TSV

I think that's it.

bella75
26th Jul 2002, 01:58
how did u guys find out you had an interview with impulse..i sent them email..no response as of yet
:confused:

flightbunny
26th Jul 2002, 02:07
hi bella,

i got a call from them on the 23 july. i also got no reply from them advising that they received my resume and app form. i'm not sure if it has something to do with the preferences for bases. as the lady i spoke to said that they are interviewing for syd and hba bases this time round.....

they might be getting round to you so u never know...fingers crossed for u...:) :cool: :D and every one else...

bella75
26th Jul 2002, 02:37
thanks flightbunny,
i did state in my application form that i would prefer syd or mel base. Goodluck all the best!
regards bella:cool:

cabincrew
26th Jul 2002, 03:15
I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview.
Good Luck

stevemelb
26th Jul 2002, 16:32
Howdy,

Have interview with impulse next week and understand that positions are only in Sydney and Hobart. MORE than happy to move if successfull but just wondering what impulse/qantaslinks policy is on transfers? Would they let existing crew transfer (eg. Sydney or Hobart crew) to Melbourne before employing new crew for the Melbourne base in the future?

Any Impulse/Qantaslink crew able to help?

Thanks and good luck to all with interviews next week.

ditzyboy
26th Jul 2002, 22:59
There has never been much interest within our ranks at Impulse for SYD FAs to move to MEL or vice versa.... I guess if I was to put in an expression of interest to move to MEL I would get the next slot. Don't know.

Oh and I'll be darned. Last night at the Impulse Staff Pep Rally (the bubbly was great!) it was announced that we shall recieve full unlimited QF Staff Travel Benefits from October 1. There you go - didn't think that would happen for a while.

flying_fox
27th Jul 2002, 07:30
And so you should! You guys must have had an extra glass of bubbly or two after THAT announcement! QF Staff Travel is just brilliant - Roll on Oct 1st.

nickmelb
27th Jul 2002, 08:51
hey everyone

i got a letter in the mail this week from Impulse/QFLink...they sent me my computer application and have asked me to send this in with my resume...did anyone else get this? weird!?!

cheers

nick:p

oh ps well done to Impulse staff for getting QF staff travel bout time!!

ditzyboy
27th Jul 2002, 09:25
It is great - the whole staff travel thing! I am very pleased that we finally got it. Feel like more of a member of the QF family now.

However I must post a cynical comment to keep the fans happy. With my overly impressive 'seniority' of a November 2000 start date and the fact that I work for a 'division' of Qantas I have as much a chance getting on a packed BKK flight as a drunk knife wielding maniac! There now I feel better :)

No, really it is a good thing and I can't stress that QF were never obligated to give us staff travel. We are lucky and things are getting better all the time.

stevemelb -
There were actually a whole bunch of girls from MEL that relocated to HBA to start with the company. So, yeah, I guess any MEL position (not due any time soon) would be offered to those who have indicated they want to move back.

flying_fox
27th Jul 2002, 10:08
Ditzy,

Isnt it sad that we are on PPRUNE on a Saturday evening! Your life must be as exciting as mine, at the mo! I hope you are chomping away on a great glass of red, too!

cabinboy
27th Jul 2002, 12:41
Great news, I must say

Ditzy you'll find that QF staff travel is not as bad as you think. You are still well ahead of travel agents etc etc on ID75 tickets and as long as you are wise with your choices on destinations and travelling times then you are about to experience one of the great perks for being employed as a " link-chick ".

Great news, I must say

CB

Paulsyd1
27th Jul 2002, 23:25
Howdy all...

I will be attending the Interview session on Tues 30th at 12:30.. If anyone else would like to catch up for a meet and greet beforehand let me know and well organise something (It would be great to know someone before we actually go in.. we'll give each other some moral support.. )

For those attending before or after this session best of luck to you all... Enjoy the day!

Regards

Paul;)

flightbunny
28th Jul 2002, 02:19
hi all,

excellent to hear that you guys get qf benefits..that means i'll still be able to get my trips to hkg for cheap shopping. anyway does anybody been to one of these impulse recruitment sessions...???

any tips on what to expect...????

all help appreciated.

p.s paulsyd1 did they say to u not to bring anything???? i'm at the 1000am session, get it over and done with..plus my boss would not give time off...

well good luck everyone!!!!thanks:D :cool: :)

ditzyboy
28th Jul 2002, 08:01
Hi peoples! Good luck!

I hit a recruiter up at this party we had on Friday and asked what were the things that they looked for in candidates. This person had the following high up on their list:

Well Groomed
Great Smile
An 'at home' sort of vibe
Balanced Personality
Worldly
Passion for the job that people can see through not what you say or do but how you say or do it. Subtle enthusiasm over hyperactivity (which is how some people come across).

They also said that anyone that got through would have to have "shined" during interviews. I don't know what that means.... Perhaps wear glossy foundation or really bright clothes. Maybe bring a torch. Heaven forbid I work in recruiting!!! :)

Oh and research all about the 717 and Impulse as a company. ie. They started as a newspaper forwarder for Fairfax and consumed Oxley Airlines, which was founded in 1983. The Boeing site has some great info about the 717. I don't mean statistics or fuel burn ratios but stuff like the 2-3 seating config and Easy-Fit overhead lockers and handrails that light up at night....

**They will ask you what you know about the 717 and Impulse as a company so be prepared.**

About the 717:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/717technical.html

http://www.airtran.com/info/aircrafts/passenger.jsp
(some of the info doesn't relate to Impulse 717s but you get the idea)

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/inTheAir/ourAircraft/boeing_717_200

Hope that helps kids.

vdd
28th Jul 2002, 09:27
Ditzyboy

Your comments are a hoot! Always make me laugh! Thanks for sussing things out for those attending interviews. I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much. I've not been invited to attend an interview.... not shining bright enough maybe.:p

Good luck all!:D

flightbunny
30th Jul 2002, 07:04
Hi all,

Well I went to the impulse interview.

It was ok as far as these f/a interviews go. The impulse reps there all seemed really nice.Sounds like a great company to work for. I have my fingers crossed that I make it to the 2nd stage.

It was a group interview with 4 questions. First question was on a slip of paper that they hand out. Type of question was; tell us about your work history, why u want to work for impulse and the other usual suspects. It was good because you only have to answer the one. I was lucky enough to get the one 'tell us about your work history'. The other 2 are situation questions that have nothing to do with travel. I think they were just to see how you communicate with people.

Last but not least they ask you to write an answer 2 one of 2 questions on a sheet of paper. I ran out of time so I don't think they are going to like what I wrote....

Any way I gave it a go and I’ll just have to wait and see.... Like they said if they knock you back just keep reapplying,.

;) :p :) :( :o :mad: :eek: :cool: :confused:

p.s ditzyboy, thanks so much for the info u posted. It helped heaps. so thanks heaps...

ditzyboy
31st Jul 2002, 00:26
Opps! I am so sorry I didn't tell you people about that 'essay' they get you to write at the end. Sorry sorry! I forgot. I am such a ditz!

Is it still the "Service versus Safety" one?

Hope you all went well :)

Paulsyd1
31st Jul 2002, 05:54
Well kids.... what a couple of days!!!! my poor head hurts!

We had the best time at our group interview on Tuesday.. The Interviewers were all so nice.. and the the people at our table??? What a hoot! It was very relaxed and an enjoyable experience.

I was surprised when i received a phone call at 8:30pm that night to tell me that i was successfull in making it through to the final round, and if i could come in at 9:30am for my interview.. (Man talk about short notice). Must have been the flashlight i mounted on top of my head that caught their attention.. he he he!:D

Well once again the Interviewers were so friendly and really made me feel at home..they are a great asset to the company. I must say if this is the company culture I cant wait to work with them... and would think twice about ever applying to another airline.

The panel Interview was typical questions about 15 i think (cant really remember coz we kept talking/laughing).

Should hear by next week so fingers x'd...

Ditzy!
Your the Bomb!!!!
Thank you so much for your advice and help.. without your insight i dont think we would have made it this far! ( I'll have a bottle of bubbly waiting on ice for you.)

Best of Luck all!!

flightbunny
31st Jul 2002, 06:10
hi,

good to hear u got 2 final stage....i think i stuffed up my chances as they rang me last night at 7.30pm, for the interview 2day but i said i could not becasue i could not get time off work...

the lady i spoke to said that it would be ok as they would be conducting interviews over the next couple of weeks!!!! i hope so...probably should have said yes but i had a meeting 2 attend and could not get out of it!!!!

any opinions ditzyboy, do u think they might not call back????

thanks

ditzyboy
31st Jul 2002, 07:23
Don't dispair....

I know of people that put off the second interview for whatever reason. They understand that you can't just drop everything with 16 hours notice! A friend of mine had 7 weeks between interviews.

I myself put off a groundschool after I was accepted because I didn't want to leave my employer in the lurch. Impulse (or Air Crews as it was known then) appreciated that as it showed I wouldn't do the same to them.

So don't fret. A lot of the new guys I spoke to were called with minimal notice and the company understands we have lives. May I suggest calling/emailing them in a week and half if they don't get in touch sooner. They are very approachable.

Well done people :)

jayne
31st Jul 2002, 12:30
Ditzy, I just have to say that you are a legend for making such an effort to help these guys out. I hope you all get in and soon we can meet you. How stoked are we for getting QF staff travel. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

GOODLUCK TO YOU ALL............

xoxoJayne

Cart_tart
1st Aug 2002, 00:29
Are you impulse guys starting to get ID travel on MAINLINE???!!
Lets hope you are as that would pave the way for the NJS QFlink crews to get it to!! Won't hold my breath though. We've been around 10 years and still haven't got it - why would they change their mind now?

FloatJockey
1st Aug 2002, 05:52
I applied on-line 3 days ago with Impulse. I went to an interview in Sydney in May but didn't make it (I mentioned it on the form).

Does anyone know if there are more 1st stage interviews taking place in the next few days? I have the feeling I applied too late... or too early... :D

Cheers!

Mrs. FloatJockey

Airtart
1st Aug 2002, 06:05
:) Hello Mrs FloatJockey,
I know of 4 people (myself included) who have applied with Impluse and still haven't heard anything from them as yet.
So try and not worry ! Easier said than done !
I think they are a little over whelmed with applications, I applied back in April and recieved a email dated the 30thApril saying 'will be in contact soon' !!! That was four months ago !!!! I still haven't heard from them so I sent another application off.
We will see..........

flightbunny
1st Aug 2002, 06:38
hi,

i don't know if it makes a difference but the interviewes they last conducted was for bases in syd and hba, maybe that is a reason why they have not contacted you...i could b e totally wrong though...they might still have to interview more people..

p.s. goodluck paulsyd1
and thanks ditzyboy for your input to my previous message..really put my mind at ease...

juliet juliet
1st Aug 2002, 07:36
hello everyone
i went to an interview in may too. i didn't hear anything for a long time and telephoned the personell department who told me i have to wait for 12 months before sending another aplication. i met two girls at the qantas interview who had been to impulse interviews too and tehy said they never heard anthing either. don't impulse send letters to the unsucesfull people ? the girls i met rang them up as well and one was told she had to wait 12 months and the other was told 6 months but i have heard of people going to interviews a few weeks after going to one. does anyone know what is right? ditzyboy do you know? its very confusing!:confused:

nickmelb
1st Aug 2002, 12:48
julietjuliet

i have had 2 interviews with impulse within the last 5 months! I must have slipped thru...and yes impulse do send rejection letters to u..sometimes it just takes a while!

paulsyd1 best of luck with them mister...

and to everyone else :)

cheers

nick:eek:

ditzyboy
1st Aug 2002, 22:01
There is some method in their madness though... I am sure.

I know of a guy who went to first and second interviews then was told "no thanks apply again in 12 months." Then they called him about two months later for another first interview. He was again told "no thanks." About two ro three months later he again asked to go to a first interview. Again it was "no thanks." Then he was called a month after that and asked for anoth first interview. Got a second interview too and was again told "no thanks." Four rounds of interviews from one application and he got a letter telling him to apply again in 12 months each time!

If you people can work that one out you deserve a medal. How traumatised would you be if you were that guy!

juliet-
12 months is the standard time until you reapply. Having said that you can slip through the system quite easily I am told.

Cart-tart-
I reckon you guys deserve some sort of perks. I have a friend that works out of Darwin so I know that you all work hard and represent Qantas very well. I mean you should all be given staff travel as a reward for doing so well. I have flown a couple of sectors on NJS (I even flew on the first DRW-GOV-CNS flight in August 1991) and Qantas is very lucky to have you guys. Such high professional standards.

Now that Impulse is wholly owned I think it was hard for the QF group to not give us travel benefits. Unfortunately they are 'benefits' and not a 'right'. Sucks though. And is it still the case that the girls on the Dash 8 charter contract don't get travel on NJS operated flights?

Mr Seatback 2
4th Aug 2002, 05:22
:) God love ya Ditz!

Good luck to all those who've applied! Hope to
see you all flying as link chicks real soon!

Been a long time since I rejoined the PPRUNE
community! All that flying! Sigh!! :p

Ditz - where's that who weekly and my bottle
of water? State your business!

2daddies
4th Aug 2002, 06:20
Ladies and Gents,
I'd just like to say that from the pointy-end of the aircraft (my usual home) I find it refreshing that you're all so incredibly kind and helpful to each other. It makes an enormous difference from most pilot bulletin boards and if it is a reflection of the attitude you all take into the air with you then I must say that poor CRM will never be an issue again.

I am one of the 15 or so Impulse B1900 pilots just made redundant by the company and although this is a fairly bad time for all of us, the fact that we are (were!) working for Impulse does give us a lot to hope for. It IS a great company with enthusiastic and dedicated staff and I would recommend working here to anyone unsure about whether to apply or not.

We may be on the street for the moment, but we will be automatically re-employed as soon as enough slots become available on the jet. I look forward to working with you all on the 717 some time in the not-too distant future.

For now though, wish me luck because I am about to start driving taxis for a living. :eek:

ditzyboy
4th Aug 2002, 11:12
Mr Seatback -

Sorry love, what was that? Was busy filing my nails. Oh! You want my 'Who' mag? Well it is right next to my bottle of water and make up bag near the jump seat.

The Purser wants me to do kid's packs. You do them. I don't do kid's packs. Hand out pillows and blankets? Sorry love, this ain't Ansett! Service? What? Hmmm?

What what what? I have to do the service? Sorry doll. I am starting at row 8. 1 to 7 aint my zone, luvvy! Offer drinks too? I had better not chip a nail!

Pass me an Atlas box to sit on and a crew lunch - there's a love.

hehehehe - It is so hard to be a Link Chick!

"State your business!" was exactly what I said when crewing rang the other morning at 0505 by mistake. grrrrrr

**Just having some fun guys coz I am very bored.**

2daddies -
Sorry to hear about the situation you people are in. Hopefully won't be too long before you are flying the Barbie Jet. Just don't p*ss me off then ask for a coffee :D Kidding! I know you will enjoy working alongside characters such as ourselves.

2daddies
4th Aug 2002, 15:36
And I'm sure you'll enjoy working alongside us, too. :D

P.S - You can't hold me to ransom over the coffee. If I do p**s you off any given point I'll just pull out my thermos full of piping-hot Mocona. Flying a non-toastie equipped aircraft (1900) teaches you to adapt! :p

FloatJockey
5th Aug 2002, 01:14
Hello 2daddies!

Nice to meet someone who used to enjoy the full GLI experience! Hehehe! Since you guys left, things have changed really little up here... Imperial, Royal, RSL... :D Life is what you make of it! Isn't it? The bird is smaller, the money as well... no space for the coffee mug... the only big difference is probabily the amount of Polish these guys use!! :(

Whatever job ur doing right now, remember at least you are in sunny Brissy! (no frost!!)

My best wishes for your career on 717s! ;)

Mrs. FloatJockey

flightbunny
8th Aug 2002, 02:35
hi

well i'm waiting by the phone praying and hoping and wishing that impulse will call me back re 2nd interview...it's been a week now from when they called and asked me to go in for a 2nd interview and i said i could not!!!!! if anyone out there did the same thing as me or nows of anyone who said no and has this week been contacted re 2nd interview...could u please let me know...

thanks heaps

p.s u could say i missed the plane on that one!!!!:) :D :( ;) :o :p :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

Paulsyd1
8th Aug 2002, 04:04
Hello Flightbunny,

Last week when i was contacted for my panel interview I wasn't sure i could make it at such short notice, so i asked if i wasn't able to attend when would my next option be and i was told that the recruitment team wouldn't be back in Syd untill next Thursday.
Dont fret pet.. You obviously have the qualities they are looking for and they seem very genuine in their approach, so I'm sure you will hear soon. I know how your feeling!
I was told after my interview that they would be in contact with me this week, however I'm not sure how they can contact me this week if they are conducting more interviews next week :confused: (a liitle confusing I know). So I wont be expecting a call this week, but come this time next week I'm sure I'll be biting my nails:rolleyes:
My advice... if you dont hear from them by mid next week take the initiative and contact them. Look at other forums Re: How long ppl are waiting to hear Y/N. The Airline recruitment is obviously an extremely long and involved process so just hang in there and keep positive (or try to just forget about it and enjoy your weekend).

My fingers will be X'd for you.

Regards

Paul:D

flightbunny
12th Aug 2002, 07:39
hi,

not that i think anyone would be reading this, but if paulsyd1 or ditzyboy happen to have a glance..or anyone else for that matter..just wanted to let u all know that i have my 2nd interview 2morrow at 0930hrs...so nervous...i have never been to a 2nd intveriew for f/a b4...i just hope the questions are not bad...

any tips anyone from impulse or anyone who has had the pleasure of getting 2 a 2nd interview......

anyway paulsyd1 if you read this let me know if u heard anything!!!!

p.s ditzboy are they real strict on the validity on your first aid cert????????

bye... till 2morrow, the sun will come out 2morrow bet your bottomdollar that 2morrow.......

i think i better go take a chill pill:D :cool: :rolleyes: ;) :( :) :o :eek: :confused:

nojacketsrequired
12th Aug 2002, 21:48
To all you Aussie flyers,in mid September there are going to be some great additions of the Australian section of

www.worldairlinephotography.co.uk

including Impulse old and new,Eastern,Airlink,QF 737's,Virgin Blue
and more.

NJR.

'Fly for fun,life's too short'.

:D :D

Paulsyd1
13th Aug 2002, 03:54
Sooooo Flightbunny how did your interview go today????
I'm sure you did really well.. :D
I just had a phone call too...
Was asked if i could start training Skool on the 26th Aug.
Damn right i can:D :D :D :D :D
I can now see that light at the end of that horribly long tunnel:p

flightbunny
13th Aug 2002, 04:08
hi paulsyd1,

congratulations, congratulations, congratulations.....i'm really happy for u!!!!! are u going to be based in hba or syd??????

my interview went really well (well i think it went well), i had the flight attendant guy who was at the group interview and a lady from h/r... they advised that they will let all successful applicants know by this friday... i sooooooooooooo hope i get it!!! i'll have to keep everything crossed till fri...

anyway let me know were u will be based!!!! once again congrats!!!!!!
:) :D

ditzyboy
13th Aug 2002, 05:52
Flight Bunny -
I did not have my current first aid cert until the day before training. They ask for it on the first day.

Paul -
Well done! Congratulations! Yay! Yes, now that bubbly.....:)

bvkboy
13th Aug 2002, 07:08
Congratulations Paul
Ive also been successful and start training 26 aug
Hobart base

bella75
13th Aug 2002, 11:37
CONGRATULATIONS HUNNY!!!!!
YEEEHAAAA i am so happy for you...your pain and perserverance has finally paid off...looks like ill be taking myself to interviews now!!!...All the best for a happy high flying career
Regards bella xx:D :cool: :D

skypryncess
14th Aug 2002, 11:50
I have two questions for you at Impulse:
1 What is your base wage? I can ask and not feel rude coz I work @ eastern and it just doesn't get worse
2 Are Impulse strict on height requirements? Do you have them?
I eagerly await your reply!!!

FloatJockey
14th Aug 2002, 12:38
"YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN! YOU'RE IN!................... "
I can't imagine otherwise....
That's what I'm repeating to myself, jumping and running around the room, keeping my fingers crossed for you! :D ;) :p :D ;) :p

Mrs. FloatJockey
--------------------------------------------------------------------
CONGRATULATIONS PAULSYD1! WELL DONE!

Paulsyd1
14th Aug 2002, 15:05
To EVERYONE who has sent posts of congratulatons and encouragement thank you all soo much!!
I'm still sitting here nervous.. I dont want to get my hopes up untill I have the offer of contract in-front of me signed.... :rolleyes:
My Criminal history check is still being conducted so nothing will be concrete untill Impulse receive it back, (although i've been told that it is being fastracked) I've been a good boy though... squeaky clean.. so i'm not worried about that!:D and my medical and reference checks have all been done!!
As soon as i hear anything i'll let you all know!;)
BVKBOY - when were you interviewed and told? I have friends who live in HBA, they are looking at accomodation; Location/Price etc. Rent down there is sooo cheap.
Flightbunny - you heard anything yet? B sure to let me know!
Bella - I'll still be there for you during interviews, It wont be long for you now... I'll be there, before you go in, and be there waiting for you with a bottle of bubbly (at "Biggles" ) for when you come back out..
Ditz - Now while we are talkin about Bubbly!!!!:p

Paully

ditzyboy
14th Aug 2002, 16:30
Skypryncess -
First year salary is $35 484... From memory. Allowances and all the bla bla bla is on top of that.

Yes they are very strict on height requirements. They have recently changed, as with all the minimum requirements, to equal that of short haul. So some girls that got in under the old conditions are under the hieght requirement.

Hope that helps.

Paully -

Yes. Bubbly. Where?

cloud nine
14th Aug 2002, 17:24
A few days ago, myself and our flight crew, snuck onto an empty 717 at Newcastle just for a little look. It was beautiful. I was suprised at how large the cabin was inside.

As you can imagine the boys headed straight for the flight deck whilst I investigated the galley.

Skypryncess, the galley was to die for! ;) And the overhead lockers, they were huge!

We were impressed, very nice indeed.:cool: :cool: :cool:

ditzyboy
14th Aug 2002, 22:49
cloud nine -
I am assuming it was one of the new aircraft with the J class cabin and all the Atlas boxes in the galley and only one oven. If it was you may also have noticed the coat locker which is fabulous for crew rest!

That J class cabin is really starting to annoy me. The large leather seats and the curtains and all make pax think they are upgraded. It usually upgrades their attitude atleast from bearable to TOTAL PRAT! Just kidding most aren't too bad...

They are cute planes, aren't they. The oldest is only two and a bit years old so we are very spoilt to be working on them only. Passengers also seem to like them too.

flightbunny
14th Aug 2002, 23:41
hi everyone!!!!!!,

well it has now been 2 days from the interview and i still have not had a call from impulse.... as i sit at work, i have my phone on my desk and i'm staring at it going ring, ring, ring damn it!!!!! the waiting is driving my nuts...because i keep on thinking about what i said, and then start worrying that it was really bad!!!!!!! yesterday i was rejected from an international job were i am now and so i'm hoping since that job has closed it's door on me.. maybe the door for this job will open!!!!!! i sooooo hope so...i'm already looking at places to rent down in good old tassie!!!!!!!

anyway will just have to wait....

p.s thanks floatjockey and everyone else for the great vibes u have sent to not only me but all of us!!!!!:D :) :( ;)

p.s. paulsyd1 did they do the ref checks b4 they called u??? i know stupid q but just wanting to see!!! thanks

Paulsyd1
15th Aug 2002, 01:19
Hey FB
I know they are busy calling around trying to follow up on peoples reference checks, criminal history etc. so they may be a while in getting back to you... but dont worry!!! easier said than done I know!
In answer to your question they contacted one of my referee's before they called me and the second one they called after, so i spose that doesn't help much..
Try not to agonise over your interview.. it will only make you age quicker:p...
Send me a pvte msge if you like and I'll e-mail you.
Regards

Paully

bvkboy
15th Aug 2002, 03:56
Hi PAULSYD1
I HAD MY FIRST INTERVIEW 0N 30JULY THEY CALLED ME THAT NIGHT AND INVITED ME BACK FOR THE SECOND THE NEXT DAY. THEY THEN CALLED ME ON TUE AND ASKED ME TO DO MY MEDICAL I DONT THINK THEY HAVE CALLED MY REFEREES YET
I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT HBA IS VERY CHEAP FOR ACCOM I ALSO HAVE A MATE LOOKING FOR ACCOM FOR ME HOPEFULLY FIND AN APARTMENT AROUND WEST HOBART SANDY BAY OR TAROONA AREAS I HAVE HEARD THAT THEY ARE THE NICE SPOTS BUT REALLY IVE GOT NO IDEA NEVER FLOWN THERE BEFORE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU IN GROUND SCHOOL AND ALL THE OTHER SUCCESSFUL CREW

flightbunny
16th Aug 2002, 00:16
hi,

:( i did not get it....i got the thanks but no thanks letter 2day... i am now going to drown my sorrows with some ice cream!!!!

but anyway good luck to every one who got jobs...u guys are so fortunate!!!

Airtart
16th Aug 2002, 04:01
Hey Flightbunny !!!!
Enjoy that icecream.... but not too much of it... there is work to be done !!!!
Don't forget Australian will be taking more crew anytime from December onwards and a rumour that Qantas Longhaul is about to take a lot of crew on.
DON'T GIVE UP !!!!!!!

Paulsyd1
16th Aug 2002, 08:38
FB
Dont make me come over there and dig you out of that tub of ice-cream... I let you have the weekend off but then......
Jump back on that bike and start applying for other airlines..
Hey Bvkboy - are you in Syd or still in Perth?

bvkboy
19th Aug 2002, 01:28
HI PAULSYD1
HAVNT HEARD FROM IMPULSE AS TO WHEN IM COMING TO SYD
I WOULD SAY PROBABLY SAT OR SUN

flightboi
20th Aug 2002, 02:29
Hello to everyone. Just became a member today and have been reading all of your responses. Wow.
Can someone pls answer a few questions for me.
I applied to Qantaslink Impulse back in March for their Melb base, went to the group seminar and was unsuccesful after being mailed a "no thanks"letter 4 weeks later. I have now reapplied about 4 weeks ago and have not heard anything from them. Not even an e-mail to confirm reciept of my application. i have read that some of you have also had alot of trouble sending your aplications to them as i did when filling in the form. Is this normal (i dont think so)
I would love to work for Impulse and have flown on the 717 before and was fantastic.
Would luv to hear from any of you in the same postion as me.
Regards,
flightboi

skypryncess
21st Aug 2002, 07:57
Hi Cloudy,
Came back from Newcastle on one last week. Very impressed with the shiney new aircraft........ not that I don't LOVE Charlie and Papa!!!

Mr Seatback 2
21st Aug 2002, 14:35
Hello all...

It's been a very busy couple of weeks at the Pulse. Ditzy - have you seen my pillow and blanket - someone took it from the coat locker when I wasn't looking (oops - crew rest I should say babe!)

To Paul and Bvb - congrats kids - look forward to seeing you on the day of training school on the 26th (am doing a presentation to you all before I start airport standby - knowing my luck I'll be flying away before the standby starts!!!)

To flightbunny - babe, don't take things too harshly - these things happen! I soooo know how you feel (hey - 11 interview rejections make you a VERY strong person afterwards!)...as the guys have said, there is work to be done! The joy of getting that job offer is such a high, it's worth all the work in the world to achieve it! Believe me - I've been on a high since I started and still going strong!

As for all those out there in HR limbo - please understand that apart from anything else, airline HR departments are one of the most overworked and underappreciated sections of any company. Given the amount of expansion that has gone on at the pulse in the last year (almost doubling our fleet in 6 months), they've handled things well...however, some applications do slip the net, and some good applicants get missed. Reapply - and not just to the pulse - if you want to fly bad enough make it show! Apply to all and sundry as much as possible!

Cabinboy and I spent years trying to get flying - we could get every other job we wanted within each of the airlines we worked for - except that one elusive area...but hey presto, after many tears, hard work and hard core grooming, we got there in the end! IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU - and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Now that I am off my soapbox, I look forward to seeing all and sundry who were successful at the interviews on the 26th for a pep rally (let's hear an I, let's hear an M!)

Paulsyd1
21st Aug 2002, 20:15
Howdy Kids....
Just had the confirmation I was lookin for............................
I'm In!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Received that life changing phone call 2day...
I start on Monday 26th..
Man, after many years of dreaming about it, I cant actually believe that I'm about to start my dream career..
I remember I first caught the 'BUG' when I was five years old.. I was the little boy who used to walk down the aisle handing out lollies (I like Lollies!) to pax!! I used to travel the Tasman 3times a year as an unaccompanied minor for schooling....
And today (Many years on) I'm about to start doing that for a living... WOW how things change!!!:)
For those who believe they have it in their blood...... Live It !! coz if you do... and you pursue this dream... all the hard work you put into achieving your dream will pay off!!!
Remember dreams are made to come true!!!
I'm so ecstatic to be joining Impulse/Qantaslink I can only hope that eventually I will get to meet you as one of my fellow crew members...
Once again a big Thank You must go out to Ditzyboy!! :D He has been soooooo helpfull to us all... you are definately a credit to QF
See Ya in the Sky!!!!
Paully

Paulsyd1
22nd Aug 2002, 08:24
P.S I'm SYD Based.

A300Man
22nd Aug 2002, 10:08
Paul,

Don't have a bloody clue who you are mate. But Congratulations on getting the job.

Your very enthusiastic and very-well put previous post gives hope to everyone out there who is trying to achieve something.

May I wish you many, many, many years of very happy and safe flying.

A300Man

Paulsyd1
24th Aug 2002, 22:12
Hello BVKBoy and welcome to Sydney...
See You tomorrow at school!!!

flightbunny
25th Aug 2002, 05:16
hi paul,

just a quick note...i wish you all the best for school 2morrow...i'm sure you will make a very good f/a...thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement...

hope 2 one day be able to join u!!!!! :)

till next time

happyrainbow
25th Aug 2002, 06:45
Paul All the best, for ground school. I start my ground school for national Jet Systems/QantasLink on the 9th of September. What an honour it will be to put on that Qantas Uniform. Im sure we will both wear the uniform with pride and honour. All the best and make sure you keep in touch.

ditzyboy
25th Aug 2002, 22:43
Paul -
Hope you have fun over the next few weeks in ground school. I had a blast but back then they sent us to CBR for three weeks!

When is your CRM? I have mine on 3 and 4 September. I looked up the crew list and don't recognise any of the names of cabin crew, could they be on your ground school? I am with a lot of tech crew by the looks. I wasn't aware that we even had to do CRM every two years but there you go. Looks sort of interesting. The CRM I did in 2000 really sucked!

So have fun and study hard. Nah, it isn't that hard. The trainers are really nice and you'll make friends really fast. Good luck! Drop me a line over the next few weeks.

Happy Rainbow -
Hope you enjoy NJS. I have a friend that works for them in Darwin. She loves it!

Paulsyd1
27th Aug 2002, 07:16
Wow.... it's now starting to sink in...
I now have my uniform!!!
It's real!!!!:cool:
The 'chosen ones' in our groundschool, 14 in total (3males - 11females) are a fantastic bunch of people.
(I would feel comfortable trusting them with my life)
Ground school is awsome... we're so keen to learn.. everything from how to unblock the toilet to the cute little safety demo:D :D
(i think i'll need to practice that one:p )
Our trainers are very nice and extremely helpfull....
We're having so much fun.. this is the best thing ever..
Let me tell you .. all the hard work of getting here has paid off.
Go for your Dream!

Ditz.. Howdy sunshine.. i think our CRM training is scheduled for about the 16th or 17th... though not confirmed yet. So if your at the Jet Base on the 3rd and 4th we'll do lunch and I'll introduce you to the new crew!:cool:

Paully

ditzyboy
27th Aug 2002, 09:11
Paul -
As a general rule - do NOT trust crew you have known for two seconds with doing your equipment checks, let alone your life!!!

Like I said the above is a general rule but I guess you need to get burned a few times before you learn. It all seems like harmless stuff. "Yeah Paul, it's between you and me..." behind the galley curtain but don't be surprised if you have a guy or girl fly with you weeks later and say "Oh, you are the one that...." Honey it ain't worth it. This industry relies on gossip. Idle gossip is cool but don't make yourself, or anyone else the subject of it. We all get bored in the galley and things will slip. It is all innocent chatter but things get passed on and stories embelished out of boredom. If you don't want the whole world to know something do not tell a soul!

Happy Flying :)

flightboi
3rd Sep 2002, 02:24
Hello all
Hope all of you guys who have started your ground schools recently are enjoying them and having a great time.
I'm still waiting to hear from impulse hr as to if they recieved my application on-line. I rang them last week and they explained to me that they have had trouble with the web site and if i could print off a copy of the application form, fill it out and send it normal mail to them with my resume attached. This is is what i'm in the process of doing now.
This is a real pain, but i suppose if it gets me one step closer!! I really am only interested in Melb base at this stage though, and explained this to them. The girl i spoke to was really nice and encouraged me to apply again.
Is anyone else in the same boat?
Regards,
flightboi

nojacketsrequired
6th Sep 2002, 08:18
Just thought I'd let you know there's some nice pics of the B717 on

www.worldairlinephotography.co.uk

NJR.

F27Friendship
24th Nov 2002, 07:01
Has anyone recently had an iterview? or participated in the Group Interview?

I would be interested to know if anyone from Adelaide has made it through, and what bases they are currently recruiting for.

Any pointers for the interview with regard to the questions?

Thanks muchly...

ozflyboy
24th Nov 2002, 09:35
Hey all.....

Are the interviews only being conducted in ADL?? Are they interviewing anywhere else - and for which bases?

Any info muchly appreciated!

F27Friendship
7th Dec 2002, 12:24
I went to the group interview, and later that night was phoned and asked to attend a 2nd interview the next morning.

'Polita' and 'Natalie' were very nice, and made me feel relaxed. They said they will get back to me within 3 weeks after they had interviewed in MEL and HBA. They said only half a doz. were asked for a 2nd interview, so for 800 or so ADL applicants, I guess just to have got this far was a bonus :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed!