PDA

View Full Version : FAA to EASA CPL(H) / ATPL(H) conversion

Mikka82
8th Jun 2017, 19:45
Who knows where to find more information about the agreement between EASA and FAA to simplify the CPL FAA to EASA conversion?

I have heard from two pilot colleagues that EASA planned this simplification to become effective in April this year. However I could not find any further (official) information about it yet.

ersa
9th Jun 2017, 02:07
There is NO simple process.... You will need to pick an easa country and look at there icao conversion process...

Most straight forward is Ireland , followed by UK........Last Germany

In effect its 14 ATPL exams ( or 13 CPL exams ) depends how many hours you have will determine what minimum flight hours you need to complete ....

The CPL modular is 30 hours flying.....the more hours you have, will reduce this number

A Class 1 medical, An english language proficiency test and a flight radio operators licence is also required.

For IFR Same thing a IFR skills test in a multiengine helicopter , if you have an FAA IR reduced hours are available but must have a multi engine type rating

paco
9th Jun 2017, 05:44
Try a few years ago - it was thrown out by the FAA. There is an individual agreement with an airline in Canada, but have heard of nothing else.

rudestuff
9th Jun 2017, 16:03
Where are you based an how many hours do you have?

Mikka82
9th Jun 2017, 17:04
Thanks for the answers! Maybe this simplified way is not official yet, they are still working on it, or the information I received from two different pilots independently is incorrect.

I am based in Florida, working on my hours (420 now). I want to convert my license within the next 2 years. IŽd like to prepare as soon as possible so I can convert quickly once I am back in Europe.

ersa
10th Jun 2017, 01:55
Mikka82

There is NO simplified process coming soon....Don't listen to pilot talk ask EASA States directly.

The CPL conversion course is 30 hours assuming you have an ICAO compliant licence .

If you have between 500-1000 hours flight time, you will get 20 hours credit, so in effect you will need minimum 10 hours + test.

+14 ATPL or CPL theory exams.

Contact capt.gs (http://www.captonline.com) for theory provider or BGS

paco
10th Jun 2017, 04:37
If you are in the US, talk to Martin Sims at Atlantic helicopters in Fort Pierce - they do FAA and EASA training, including check and licensing rides. As they are one of our satellite bases you can do your ground school there too.

If you have an FAA CPL it's 400 hours of study for the EASA ATP and if you have an FAA IR it's training as required.

BillieBob
10th Jun 2017, 09:54
There is NO simplified process coming soonDepends on your definition of 'soon'. There is a Bi-lateral Aviation Safety Agreement (BASA) currently under negotiation between the EU and the US to allow for the mutual recognition of licences, initially covering the PPL and IR. Whilst agreement may still be some way off, there are changes on the way.

Mikka82
10th Jun 2017, 19:53
Thank you BillieBob! This seems to be what I was looking for. Do you have any further information about the status of this agreement or how close in the future we can hope for this agreement to become effective (also and especially concerning CPL)?

@paco: thanks for the hint with Atlantic Helicopters. I sent them a request about one week ago, waiting for an answer.

BillieBob
11th Jun 2017, 13:27
No idea how close we are to agreement, if indeed we are close. Considering the BASA has been under discussion between the EC and US Congress since at least 2011, I doubt that we're talking weeks or even months.

paco
12th Jun 2017, 17:46
As many details as anyone has:

• About the current state of the BASA with the USA: https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/bilateral-agreements/eu-usa
• About the extension being discussed to pilot licensing: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/general-aviation/licensing-general-aviation

Umar96
30th Jul 2017, 04:12
Hey guys
I am in florida doing my IR right now and after my cpl i wana do my conversion to EASA atpl. If anybody could please advise me where to go for that . I would be really thankfull
I have heard that i need my IR on ME but it would be too much
Thank you

paco
30th Jul 2017, 16:49
Atlantic Helicopters in Florida..... if you want to stay in the US.

custardpsc
30th Jul 2017, 17:44
Paco - to clarify the above - if one is already holding a FAA CPL/IR (A) and desires an EASA ATPL(A) its 400hrs of self study and 40 hours classroom for the ATPL, plus training as required for the IR , right?

My other question is can you mix and match classroom days between UK and Atlantic Helicopters? or all have to be in one location? ( Good choice of training partner by the way, Martin is excellent)

paco
30th Jul 2017, 21:13
That would be it!

As long as the training is in an approved classroom, it doesn't matter where but we have permission to do 50% over the internet.

Didn't realise you were doing (A), but the above still stands. We are approved for all courses.