PDA

View Full Version : Ties Cut With Qatar

Farrell
5th Jun 2017, 04:46
Gulf states, Egypt cut ties with Qatar | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4572336/Gulf-states-Egypt-cut-ties-Qatar.html)

Have they all closed their airspace to them as well or just airports?

PanAmFalcon
5th Jun 2017, 05:03
Even the airspaces are closed. Qatar airways flights to Europe and india seem to be unaffected but Haven't seen flight to N America take off yet

Farrell
5th Jun 2017, 05:12
I currently see outbound QTR traffic over Saudi and UAE

Dave Clarke Fife
5th Jun 2017, 05:18
Not just Egypt now.........

Qatar: UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain cut off relations with fellow Gulf state - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/middleeast/saudi-bahrain-egypt-uae-qatar-terror/index.html)

360BakTrak
5th Jun 2017, 05:19
Overflights are currently not affected.......but could obviously change.

Haven't seen flight to N America take off yet....they're operating; LA en-route with others on the way shortly.

Farrell
5th Jun 2017, 05:29
http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/595402-instability-gcc-should-we-worried.html

Joker11
5th Jun 2017, 06:33
Oh we live in troubled times.

UAL777
5th Jun 2017, 06:45
Qatar seems to be in big trouble for supporting terrorism.

Avenger
5th Jun 2017, 07:02
Saudi Arabia-led Bloc Cuts Ties With Qatar Over 'Support to ISIS, Al-Qaeda' - News18 (http://www.news18.com/news/world/qatar-saudi-arabia-egypt-bahrain-uae-diplomatic-ties-1421881.html) Although it has been known for some time that Qatar covertly supported terrorist/extremist groups it was hoped by the US and partners that the "close links" would allow diplomatic pressure to be placed and moderate the problems in this way. Unfortunately, recent barbaric events means that the administrations in the West have had little choice but to strengthen their alliances with other Arab nations leaving Qatar out in the cold. It is inevitable that aviation will be effected.. life jacket on..jumping ship PDQ! There's little point in living in Bahrain if you can't get to work..be interesting to see how Qatar reacts, maybe they will realise they have more to loose than gain by funding ISIS/Muslim Brotherhood, Although Qatar is a member of the US coalition against ISIS.. didn't we call these "double agents in WW2!" As Qatar uses Bahrain airspace lets see how this plays out..or not!

YYZ
5th Jun 2017, 07:23
Airspace closure in 24 hours. Not good. ��

Dave Clarke Fife
5th Jun 2017, 07:40
Yemen has joined in with the game now..........

Yemen cuts diplomatic ties with Qatar: state news agency | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-yemen-idUSKBN18W0RS?il=0)

Tasmanian
5th Jun 2017, 10:10
Libya also... and all UAE carriers shut Doha service tomorrow.. exciting times ahead...

motojet
5th Jun 2017, 10:33
Out of curiousity, if Qatar Airways was prevented from transiting the Bahrain FIR, would they be able to make Tehran FIR just across the Gulf? I don't know if Doha Approach reaches all the way to Tehrans airspace.
By the way, the Maldives just broke diplomatic relations with Qatar.

gatbusdriver
5th Jun 2017, 11:08
Check out UAE NOTAMS there is one of interest starting at 0000Z on the 6th.

ExDubai
5th Jun 2017, 11:14
Overflights are allowed, even if you have cut diplomatic ties.

That could change....

Tasmanian
5th Jun 2017, 11:15
check out uae notams there is one of interest starting at 0000z on the 6th.

a0812/17 - all acft registered in the state of qatar are not authorized to
overfly emirates fir,depart or land at uae aerodromes.

Operators not registered in uae intending to use emirates fir from
or to the state of qatar require prior approval from gcaa aviation
security affairs on the flw contact:
Tel: 00971 50 642 4911
email: Avsec-di(a)gcaa.gov.ae. 06 jun 00:00 2017 until perm. Created: 05 jun
08:37 2017

halas
5th Jun 2017, 11:17
1a812/17
valid: 1706060000 - perm
all acft registered in the state of qatar are not authorized
to overfly emirates fir, depart or land at uae aerodromes.
Operators not registered in uae intending to use emirates fir from
or to the state of qatar require prior approval from gcaa aviation
security affairs on the flw contact:
Tel: 00971 50 642 4911
email: Avsec-di(a)gcaa.gov.ae

SOPS
5th Jun 2017, 11:19
This is getting interesting.

Tasmanian
5th Jun 2017, 11:22
If Bahrain follows the same....

motojet
5th Jun 2017, 11:27
That was my question. If Bahrain closes their FIR to Qatar Airways can they make it over to Tehran FIR by staying lower and in the Doha Approach airspace? If not they are boxed in.

DuneMentat
5th Jun 2017, 11:37
looks like Bahrain follows with a small loop hole of a corridor into Tehran

A0206/17 - FOR FLIGHTS AFFECTED BY NOTAM A0204/17 THE FOLLOWING AWYS ARE
AVBL:
1-UT430 OUTBOUND VIA RAGAS
2-UR659 INBOUND VIA MIDSI. 06 JUN 00:00 2017 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 05 JUN 11:29
A0205/17 - ALL FLT REGISTERED IN THE STATE OF QATAR ARE NOT AUTHORISED TO
OVERFLY BAHRAIN AIRSPACE. 06 JUN 00:00 2017 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 05 JUN 11:22
A0204/17 - NO FLIGHT WILL BE ALLOWED FROM KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN TO STATE OF
QATAR AND FROM STATE OF QATAR TO KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN. 06 JUN 00:00 2017 UNTIL
PERM. CREATED: 05 JUN 11:17 2017

gatbusdriver
5th Jun 2017, 11:41
The way I read that is aircraft registered in other countries can use those airways to reach DOH, all QR registered aircraft will not be allowed.

DuneMentat
5th Jun 2017, 11:43
You might be right :ooh:

gatbusdriver
5th Jun 2017, 12:04
Saudi joins in
A0593/17

Airmann
5th Jun 2017, 12:09
That was my question. If Bahrain closes their FIR to Qatar Airways can they make it over to Tehran FIR by staying lower and in the Doha Approach airspace? If not they are boxed in.

It's very complicated.

Qatar does not have its own FIR. The Airspace around Qatar is controlled by Doha Radar up to around FL 250. But this airspace does not extend to the Iranian FIR boundary. Consists of the Airspace above Qatar mainland and extends outwards from there to different ranges. When entering through UAE its directly to Doha or vice versa. Entering through Iran directly North of Qatar its a short stint with Bahrain then over to Doha. Technically speaking Qatar could create it's own FIR but that would take a long time.

So any flight leaving Qatar has to contact either Bahrain, UAE or Jeddah FIR. Technically I suppose Doha Radar could extend its range to the Border of Tehran FIR to the North. But then you would have a condition similar to that in the airspace between Cyprus and Turkey with two separate entities both claiming that they control that airspace.

singleseater
5th Jun 2017, 12:10
Could get very interesting if Iran backs Qatar and closes it's airspace to those countries blocking Qatar ie UAE, SAUDI, BAHRAIN etc.
If you look at the FIR's, Qatar can't get to Iranian airspace without transiting Bahrain, BUT, that is because of the air services agreement in which OBBI handles the area. They could just suspend it and the OHHH FIR would border OIII.

Plank Cap
5th Jun 2017, 12:28
Some might suggest this is what happens when you send your top cultural ambassador over the water to help out..... we all knew it would end in tears!

luvly jubbly
5th Jun 2017, 12:34
Well let's hope it doesn't escalate into a Saudi / Iran conflict.

The last time Iran fell out with a neighbour it lasted 8 years and cost 1,500,000 lives

cabot
5th Jun 2017, 12:36
So it looks like my holiday plans in 3 weeks time
from EDI to COL are going down the tubes ?

gearlever
5th Jun 2017, 12:38
Hhm, Mr Trump's vist to Saudi Arabia last week, coincidence?

gtaflyer
5th Jun 2017, 12:39
So are we witnessing beginnings of SCATANA?

ATCO1962
5th Jun 2017, 12:42
This might be a welcome relief for our overworked sectors. If this all pans out the way I hope it does, we might lose around 10% of our traffic and our worst sectors might become manageable again, if only for a short season.

SOPS
5th Jun 2017, 12:50
Some might suggest this is what happens when you send your top cultural ambassador over the water to help out..... we all knew it would end in tears!

I'm sure they could send him back to 'help out'.

Broomstick Flier
5th Jun 2017, 13:16
Saudi joins in
A0593/17

As does Egypt
A0202/17

Xiamen
5th Jun 2017, 13:37
11000 US troops in Qatar! Talk about suddenly having your enemy based in your backyard!
If this situation continues in a "stable" manner, this will benefit EK and EY greatly.
The question is whether the travelers will avoid the ME completely.

If it gets a lot worse, all will suffer.

gearlever
5th Jun 2017, 13:38
ME will be the start of WW III.

Xiamen
5th Jun 2017, 13:43
No, not enough outside interest. War has been the normal situation in ME since forever.

mach 84
5th Jun 2017, 13:46
Uncle Donald was in Saudi Arabia recently and sold equipment for$$$$$, so the Saudis are the good guys! His aim would be to go after Iran as mentioned during his election campaign. But if you cannot go after the master so you kick his dog, which is Quatar. Let's see what happens next, this is just the beginning........lots of pilots jobs will be lost.....and and and.....

puff m'call
5th Jun 2017, 13:51
So it's all starting here in the ME but does this mean the other countries will follow suite?

Now they all know Qatar have been supporting terrorism will they all ban them from flying to their airport and using their airspace? If not does it mean they condone what they do?

Interesting times for Qatar airways.

luvly jubbly
5th Jun 2017, 14:00
Now they all know Qatar have been supporting terrorism will they all ban them from flying to their airport and using their airspace?

This has been common knowledge since the "Arab Spring".
But it has only escalated since Trump visited Saudi Arabia.

Which in itself is kinda strange, don't you think?
His very first foreign visit after taking office was not to a major ally, such as UK/Germany/NATO, but to Saudi Arabia.
The Europe visit followed.

gearlever
5th Jun 2017, 14:01
The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda). Fifteen of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia), and the others were from the United Arab Emirates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates) (2), Egypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt), and Lebanon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon).[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks#cite_note-cia.gov-1) The hijackers were organized into four teams, each led by a pilot-trained hijacker with three or four "muscle hijackers," who were trained to help subdue the pilots, passengers, and crew.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks

Well, but the Saudis recently bought weapons for 110 billions, who cares about 9/11 ?

ExDubai
5th Jun 2017, 14:17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks

Well, but the Saudis recently bought weapons for 110 billions, who cares about 9/11 ?

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2017, 14:22
hate to disrupt you anti-Trump parade, but these issues have been festering behind the scenes long before Trump was elected, or even ran for president...

justforfun
5th Jun 2017, 14:23
hate to disrupt you anti-Trump parade, but these issues have been festering behind the scenes long before Trump was elected, or even ran for president...

Well said!

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2017, 14:28
luvlyjubbly is on many forums blaming Trump for everything from arab spring to the hiroshima bombing

Jet II
5th Jun 2017, 14:55
What are EK going to do with their 380's now? :eek:

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2017, 15:09
What are EK going to do with their 380's now

guess they will be going everywhere else except Doha

minwas
5th Jun 2017, 15:20

The last time Iran fell out with a neighbour it lasted 8 years and cost 1,500,000 lives

Then Saudi shouldn't do the same mistake as Irak did and attack Iran

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2017, 15:24
nobody is going to attack anybody....

minwas
5th Jun 2017, 15:33
Of course no one should do something stupid like this

luvly jubbly
5th Jun 2017, 15:55
luvlyjubbly is on many forums blaming Trump for everything from arab spring to the hiroshima bombing

Oh My God. I must be a bad man. Actually, im in 2 threads Asking if it's coincidence that this happened immediately after Trump visited the region.

But as you showed up late for 2 World Wars, I suppose it's only fair that you start the next one.

Hiroshima was down to a different US President.

Anyway, 3 days before this kicked off I posted this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar–United_Arab_Emirates_relations explaining how it's been simmering for years.

White Knight
5th Jun 2017, 16:01
And all the muppets who have been banging on recently about how QR is a much better choice of employer than EK or EY. Good call🙄🙄🙄

Joker11
5th Jun 2017, 16:14
This is really a case of Arab nations calling the kettle black. Accusing each other exactly of the same things they have done themselves.

gearlever
5th Jun 2017, 16:18
This is really a case of Arab nations calling the kettle black. Accusing each other exactly of the same things they have done themselves.

SPOT ON Joker11:D

johnjonesnine
5th Jun 2017, 16:30

In these of fake news it is important to point out that the Islamic Republic of Iran has never attacked any of its neighbours. The conflict you refer to was started by Saddam Hussein.

FoxForce44
5th Jun 2017, 16:31
And all the muppets who have been banging on recently about how QR is a much better choice of employer than EK or EY. Good call🙄🙄🙄

So now it's a competition?"My job is better than yours?" Geezz...

wizard1
5th Jun 2017, 16:44
I feel very uncomfortable with this development and can only see further escalation and deterioration of the situation.
Let's think it through. In no particular order. If Quatar (sorry spelling) is essentially grounded then there go EK EY Iranian overflight clearance.
How does that alone play out well for anybody?
Escalation of Iran / Saudi proxy wars on all fronts, Obviously the Big Dog (DT) has waved the stick but I doubt the protagonists are going to go down without a fight,
Tourism into the UAE!! Yea right
Real Estate investment in the region!! Same as above
International funds for infrastructure development !!! As if.
Relocate all movable assets now. Attend to licence issues.
Be prepared.

gearlever
5th Jun 2017, 16:47
I feel very uncomfortable with this development and can only see further escalation and deterioration of the situation.
Let's think it through. In no particular order. If Quatar (sorry spelling) is essentially grounded then there go EK EY Iranian overflight clearance.
How does that alone play out well for anybody?
Escalation of Iran / Saudi proxy wars on all fronts, Obviously the Big Dog (DT) has waved the stick but I doubt the protagonists are going to go down without a fight,
Tourism into the UAE!! Yea right
Real Estate investment in the region!! Same as above
International funds for infrastructure development !!! As if.
Relocate all movable assets now. Attend to licence issues.
Be prepared.

Yeah, can of worms....

maples
5th Jun 2017, 17:09
No joy on QR website,you guys had better luck?

Twiglet1
5th Jun 2017, 17:47
Need to send Boris Johnson and Mr Trump to fix it

The Turtle
5th Jun 2017, 20:31
working fine in the USA....advertising a "fare sale" RT from JFK to BKK....

745 usd inclusive!!!

the dirty sensor
5th Jun 2017, 20:34
[QUOTE=Xiamen;9793258]11000 US troops in Qatar! Talk about suddenly having your enemy based in your backyard!
If this situation continues in a "stable" manner, this will benefit EK and EY greatly.
The question is whether the travelers will avoid the ME completely.

Well hopefully Qatar sorts itself out cuz parking issues will be horrible at the World Cup with all the roads riddled with mortar holes! FIFA will not be pleased.😉

harry the cod
6th Jun 2017, 04:41
ADFUS

Ever heard of Noraid?

Funny how so many Americans fail to remember how prevalent their fundraising was along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States throughout the eighties. Funds that supported The Provisional IRA, a terrorist group that killed and maimed hundreds of innocent civilians during the conflict, both in Ireland and in mainland Britain.

Support was reduced significantly after 9/11. I guess the Yanks suddenly realised that it wasn't very nice to have terrorist attacking them too!

Careful before pointing fingers.

Harry

fliion
6th Jun 2017, 05:10

Indeed Whitey - I always found it interesting how in recent years you would rarely have current QR pilots on here calling their mgt to task for misdemeanors similar to EK & FZ pilots. No complaints ? Really? Hard to believe with the combover king.

So now they must be in turmoil over there at DOH and no QR pilots on here spelling out what the word is from flight ops in QR -

What gives boys - all good in da hood as usual?

Farrell
6th Jun 2017, 05:12
QTR871 PVG-DOH has stopped here in MCT to refuel?….and raid Carrefour for Saudi milk! :)
Sorry about photo quality as the view from my ivory tower is not great on iPhone.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p448/WayneFarrell/IMG_3008_zpsztjkbse0.jpg

Aluminium shuffler
6th Jun 2017, 05:15
Spot on Harry, but you know the rules - it's only bad when it's not the US doing it. :hmm: I remember seeing USAF personnel in the UK with medals and ribbons for serving in a "war zone", which is how they classified the UK. A "war" that they funded.

shorthauler72
6th Jun 2017, 06:07
Dear forum members, with Bahrain FIR extending all over Qatar territory, how comes QR airplanes still seem to able to get in and out?

Holger

Jetjock330
6th Jun 2017, 06:25
Mauritius and Maldives (https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d636a4d3345444e/share_p.html) join the support of the Saudis and cut ties with Qatar as well now.

"
One more nation, Mauritius, has severed diplomatic relations with Qatar, following seven other nations, Khaleej Times reported on Monday.
As of now, a total of eight countries have cut ties with Qatar, namely Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt, Yemen, Mauritius, Libya and Maldives.
UAE’s Emirates News Agency said that the UAE has severed all relations with Qatar, giving Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the UAE.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and Bahrain said they will suspend air, sea and land transport with Qatar amid the diplomatic row, Doha-based Al Jazeera media reported on Monday.
Meanwhile, major airlines have reportedly suspended travel to and from Qatar. Qatar Airways said it has stopped flights to Saudi Arabia, starting at noon on Monday. Dubai's Emirates and Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways will suspend all flights to and from Doha, starting Tuesday morning. " end quote

Eric Janson
6th Jun 2017, 06:25
This is allegedly what triggered these events:-

http://http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-05/shocking-trigger-behind-todays-gulf-scandal-qatar-paid-al-qaeda-iran-1bn-hostage-dea (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-05/shocking-trigger-behind-todays-gulf-scandal-qatar-paid-al-qaeda-iran-1bn-hostage-dea)

Chrome
6th Jun 2017, 06:26
shorthauler72 maybe this?

OBBB FIR NOTAM A0208/17 - FOR FLIGHTS AFFECTED BY NOTAM A0205/17 THE FOLLOWING AWYS ARE AVBL: 1-UT430 OUTBOUND VIA RAGAS 2-UR659 INBOUND VIA MIDSI. 06 JUN 00:00 2017 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 05 JUN 12:00 2017

shorthauler72
6th Jun 2017, 06:36
shorthauler72 maybe this?

Obviously, thanks!

halas
6th Jun 2017, 07:12
Mean while in Tel Aviv…. they must be watching through the venetian blinds having a bit of a giggle at what the neighbours are up to…again.

halas

Tankengine
6th Jun 2017, 07:29
Dear forum members, with Bahrain FIR extending all over Qatar territory, how comes QR airplanes still seem to able to get in and out?

Holger

Mirages? Of course then Bahrian could send F16s. ;)

TOGA!
6th Jun 2017, 09:41
Spot on Harry, but you know the rules - it's only bad when it's not the US doing it. :hmm: I remember seeing USAF personnel in the UK with medals and ribbons for serving in a "war zone", which is how they classified the UK. A "war" that they funded.

AS

please explain in greater detail where and when you saw USAF personnel wearing ribbons and medals for action while in the UK?

I only recall US personnel stationed in the UK to help protect against the Soviet Union and definitely do not recall them being involved in any actions against any other force.

The only reference to US troops in action in the UK I can find are those that helped out with the German problem in the early 1940's.

There seem to be many here with chips on their shoulder about Americans and not only from those associated with this forum. I have seen it/read it and experienced it here. Say/think what you may, but you were liking us 77-79 years ago. Ever been to Cambridge Cemetery?

olster
6th Jun 2017, 10:24
Well said, TOGA.

fantom
6th Jun 2017, 10:42
Well, the UK-based Aardvarks flew the long way round to bomb Tripoli.

Talparc
6th Jun 2017, 10:42
Wait till they discover that the UAE is also supporting various terror groups, then we can talk about grid lock.
The UAE has promoted such a double standard for a very long time.

recceguy
6th Jun 2017, 11:29
Say/think what you may, but you were liking us 77-79 years ago.
No, we didn't like you.
They came because it was part of their agenda, and they liberated a couple of countries simply because it was on their way.
Just quote the number of French, Dutch and Belgian civilians killed by allied bombings - higher numbers than those victims of Germans ...
Soviet Union did much more to bring down Nazi Germany. Only that it's now convenient to forget it.

harry the cod
6th Jun 2017, 13:20
ADFUS

I have no idea where you're from, I do not care. My point was to merely highlight the irony of your statement blaming only the UAE and Saudia for supporting terrorism. It's often forgotten that the major protagonist in the fight against terrorism is also a former supporter of the very principles it despises. Only when the US mainland became a target did it's 'protected citizens' take a less jaundiced view to the British occupation of Northern Ireland and their often blind support for a terror organisation that was killing innocent people in the name of freedom! My point being that until the US itself became a victim of terrorism, there may not have been a shift in attitude away from IRA support. Fundraising had been significant up until then and it's subsequent reduction was certainly a catalyst in the cessation of the conflict. It's just such a shame that it took a monumental event such as 9/11 for the government and it's people to grasp that everyone is vulnerable.

This should not become an anti US forum. Many hundreds of thousands of lives, on both sides of the pond, have been lost in major conflicts over this last century. Tit for tat spats on this forum achieves nothing other than highlighting our own ignorance and immaturity. More importantly, it disrespects those that have given their lives in the name of achieving real freedom.

Perhaps we need to reflect on who the real enemy is here?

Harry

AAG1
6th Jun 2017, 13:30
What has the midget leader of the airline "The Baker", has to say now? I wonder how come he hasn't slam people from neighborhood countries as he did to people from the West?

ohhh, I got it, he knows the one who would get hanged to the wall would be him, not Delta's former CEO!!

What a clown this midget is!! I guess he should man up now and start begging for some airspace

Joker11
6th Jun 2017, 13:30
ADFUS

I have no idea where you're from, I do not care. My point was to merely highlight the irony of your statement blaming only the UAE and Saudia for supporting terrorism. It's often forgotten that the major protagonist in the fight against terrorism is also a former supporter of the very principles it despises. Only when the US mainland became a target did it's 'protected citizens' take a less jaundiced view to the British occupation of Northern Ireland and their often blind support for a terror organisation that was killing innocent people in the name of freedom! My point being that until the US itself became a victim of terrorism, there may not have been a shift in attitude away from IRA support. Fundraising had been significant up until then and it's subsequent reduction was certainly a catalyst in the cessation of the conflict. It's just such a shame that it took a monumental event such as 9/11 for the government and it's people to grasp that everyone is vulnerable.

This should not become an anti US forum. Many hundreds of thousands of lives, on both sides of the pond, have been lost in major conflicts over this last century. Tit for tat spats on this forum achieves nothing other than highlighting our own ignorance and immaturity. More importantly, it disrespects those that have given their lives in the name of achieving real freedom.

Perhaps we need to reflect on who the real enemy is here?

Harry

Talparc

You're talking bollocks as usual!

Well said. A lot of Trump bashing etc. Can we focus on the issue and thats a melt down in relations between Arab nations. As I mentioned before it is a case of nations calling the kettle black. Quite a lot of hypocrisy going on and all us expats are caught in the middle of it.

AAG1
6th Jun 2017, 13:41
Not to start controversy here, but I would suggest reading or listening to this audiobook,

"The Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade" The Shadow World (http://www.theshadowworldbook.com)

and realize what is the level of corruption in the ME and how nations including the one where I am from, have been battered by war and terrorism.

By the way, I wonder if prince Bandar still flying his A340 given as a gift to him by BAE for an arms deal?

DCS99
6th Jun 2017, 13:48
Back on thread: QAT passports can't even transit DXB now.

The FT calls for:
"All parties to the Gulf dispute would be wise to de-escalate tensions"

Emma Royds
6th Jun 2017, 14:36
Politics aside, I can't help but feel there are significant 'commercial' motives at play here in an airline context.

QR dumps significant capacity into the UAE with DXB alone being its biggest destination in terms of the number of seats available and the target audience is the traveller originating or ending their journey in Dubai. When you add up the capacity going to and from AUH, DWC, SHJ and RKT, then you have a massive operation that is targeting travellers right in the back yard of the UAE operators. As an aside, QR were in the process of adding their ninth and tenth destination in the Kingdom.

From friends outside of the industry, they consistently tell me that QR seems to always beat EK on price and often by a significant margin from DXB and most seem to favour the QR product as well. Perhaps it is little wonder that we are seeing such strict flying restrictions in such challenging times for the industry as a whole and especially so for EK.

fliion
6th Jun 2017, 14:52
No, we didn't like you.
They came because it was part of their agenda, and they liberated a couple of countries simply because it was on their way.
Just quote the number of French, Dutch and Belgian civilians killed by allied bombings - higher numbers than those victims of Germans ...
Soviet Union did much more to bring down Nazi Germany. Only that it's now convenient to forget it.

What an awful post - really piss poor, even after all these years.

185,000 Americans buried in Europe. No allied military leader wanted to kill allied civilians - it was a terrible war. The US and U.K. in particular can hold their heads very high in what they achieved and sacrificed in the liberation of Europe - which to this day is widely celebrated and acknowledged by Europes leaders on various Remembrance Days.

Back on topic - stop talking revisionist shyyte.
ps. The reason the Russians don't get enough credit - is because they never left!

Aluminium shuffler
6th Jun 2017, 14:54
TOGA, yes I have visited the USAAF cemetery near Cambridge. And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that the Pacific War wasn't fought by the US alone.

As for where I saw these medals, that the wearers told me for UK service, I saw them at Lakenheath and one who was on a drug interception joint op in Belize. I have no idea about US ribbons, but unless three people independently played the same joke, I am assuming they weren't winding me up. One did tell me that the UK was categorised a combat theatre in the early 90s. That however is not the point, is it? The point was, as made by Harry, that a lot of Americans were proud to fund and support the IRA during the 70s, 80s and early 90s, especially in Boston and NYC. Not a huge percentage, I'm sure, but enough to fund them and lead to deaths into four figures, and it wasn't seen as shameful.

The timing of this local trouble also seems rather coincidental. It may be that the US did nothing at all, but it does appear that something during Trumps visit has stirred things up, just like he is stirring in Europe.

TOGA!
6th Jun 2017, 16:11
TOGA, yes I have visited the USAAF cemetery near Cambridge. And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that the Pacific War wasn't fought by the US alone.

As for where I saw these medals, that the wearers told me for UK service, I saw them at Lakenheath and one who was on a drug interception joint op in Belize. I have no idea about US ribbons, but unless three people independently played the same joke, I am assuming they weren't winding me up. One did tell me that the UK was categorised a combat theatre in the early 90s. That however is not the point, is it? The point was, as made by Harry, that a lot of Americans were proud to fund and support the IRA during the 70s, 80s and early 90s, especially in Boston and NYC. Not a huge percentage, I'm sure, but enough to fund them and lead to deaths into four figures, and it wasn't seen as shameful.

The timing of this local trouble also seems rather coincidental. It may be that the US did nothing at all, but it does appear that something during Trumps visit has stirred things up, just like he is stirring in Europe.

recceguy you have just reinforced my previously stated observations.

fliion has effectively responded as I would.

A/S and harry almost make it sound as if support of the IRA was a US government policy. I do see the similarities of that conflict and what is going on in the Gulf now, point taken.

Anyone earning medals or involved in conflict out of the UK in the 1990's would have been involved in either the 1st Desert War or the breakup of Yugoslavia and is entirely possible.

fantom the 111 operation to Libya was much earlier and flew the long way because the French would not allow the use of their airspace enroute to the target.

I am done.

Officer Kite
6th Jun 2017, 17:07
All my BEIN Sports channels that I am paying extortionate fees for are now blocked. Refund now Du!

Are you sure it is them that cut your connection? ... maybe look closer to home!

Phil A Buster
6th Jun 2017, 19:38
Back on thread: QAT passports can't even transit DXB now. Spiteful?

Wow! Even Israeli passports are allowed TWOV for 24 hours in UAE

ExDubai
6th Jun 2017, 21:25
All my BEIN Sports channels that I am paying extortionate fees for are now blocked. Refund now Du!

Be careful, with your subscription you support the bad guys ;)

Officer Kite
6th Jun 2017, 22:56

I didn't know what Du was and assumed you were suspecting bein themselves stopped your coverage (being a Qatari based company I suspected maybe you thought it was some small form of retaliation). Definitely stopped on the UAE side. Isn't it like £20 anyway?

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/bein-sports-blocked-in-the-uae-as-diplomatic-row-with-qatar-deepens

Very unholy acts for this holy month

donpizmeov
7th Jun 2017, 02:18
Officer kite. You have no idea of this region. Please don't sprout opinion of things you know nothing about.

Joker11
7th Jun 2017, 07:04
http://m.khaleejtimes.com/nation/abu-dhabi/strict-action-against-anyone-showing-sympathy-with-qatar-uae-

Joker11
7th Jun 2017, 07:05
Wow! Even Israeli passports are allowed TWOV for 24 hours in UAE

Wait, what? I thought they were always allowed to transit.

Laker
7th Jun 2017, 07:35
be careful out there.

Qatari sympathisers to face fine, jail | GulfNews.com (http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/government/qatari-sympathisers-to-face-fine-jail-1.2039631)

Talparc
7th Jun 2017, 08:13
The UAE is getting scared now too.
They know why! Great supporters as well!

Officer Kite
7th Jun 2017, 08:37
Officer kite. You have no idea of this region. Please don't sprout opinion of things you know nothing about.

shouldnt have pized off donpizmeov ...

luvly jubbly
7th Jun 2017, 08:45
Isn't it like £20 anyway?

In a word, no

gearlever
7th Jun 2017, 09:43
This could get a lot messier, very quickly.

Maybe bouncing along to Saudi sword dance wasn't very wise....

Bergerie1
7th Jun 2017, 09:55
And now attacks in Tehran:-
Iran's parliament and Khomeini mausoleum attacked by gunmen - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40184641)

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 09:57
Maybe bouncing along to Saudi sword dance wasn't very wise....
That was a hugh boost for the Saudi ego.....

Expatriates residing in Qatar and in possession of a Qatari residence visa will also not be eligible for visa on arrival in the UAE, Etihad spokesman said in an email.
What a mess..... popcorn I need more popcorn

Rabbitwear
7th Jun 2017, 10:07
Typical Middle East , take it out on everybody.

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 11:58
So why bring in the Iranians? http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2017/06/07/Iran-s-Revolutionary-Guards-protecting-Qatari-emir-inside-palace-.html
Egypt source...... There are enough US and Turkish troops in the country. Looks for me like they try add fuel to the flames.

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 14:42
If it is true that the Iranian military is guarding the Emir, obviously a coup is much closer to reality.
Obviously the Emiri Guard could not be trusted which the job.
Yepp, but Iranian revolutionary guards in the backyard of 10 K US troops? Can't imagine that this is possible.

Balango lover
7th Jun 2017, 15:45
Historically EK and QR had a "gentleman's agreement" in which pilots could not leave one company for the other. In my view that new situation may be beneficial for EK Boeing guys tired of the lack of leave and very heavy rosters.

Tasmanian
7th Jun 2017, 15:58
24 Hour Ultimatum! Saudi Arabia threatens Qatar to submit to list of demands or face war

https://theduran.com/24-hour-ultimatum-saudi-arabia-threatens-qatar-to-submit-or-else-face-war/

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 16:40
24 Hour Ultimatum! Saudi Arabia threatens Qatar to submit to list of demands or face war

https://theduran.com/24-hour-ultimatum-saudi-arabia-threatens-qatar-to-submit-or-else-face-war/

Turkey to fast-track troop deployment in Qatar | Qatar News | Al Jazeera (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/turkey-fast-track-troops-deployment-qatar-170607151127104.html)

Holy sh.......

Cloud Bunny
7th Jun 2017, 16:46

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one praying to every God there possibly could be that this is fake news. The region would not survive this. It also seems to be moving waayyy too quickly over something that really requires nothing more than a stern telling off and a promise not to do that again.

halas
7th Jun 2017, 16:59
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/world/middleeast/iran-parliament-attack-khomeini-mausoleum.html

halas

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 17:03
Well I'm sure I'm not the only one praying to every God there possibly could be that this is fake news. The region would not survive this. It also seems to be moving waayyy to quickly over something that really requires nothing more than a stern telling off and a promise not to do that again.

I certainly hope that this are fake news. But it seems that the whole mess escalates very quickly.
Turkey to fast-track troop deployment in Qatar | Qatar News | Al Jazeera (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/turkey-fast-track-troops-deployment-qatar-170607151127104.html)

Another player in the game

Airmann
7th Jun 2017, 17:06
Yeah but numerous stern telling offs haven't worked in the past. And now the Saudis are all pumped up since they started a military confrontation with Yemen. They are in fighting mode and want to take care of all their problems at once.

If the Saudis believe that Qatar's help or at least their less than complete hostile attitude toward Iran is in some way helping the Houthis in Yemen then as part of their plan in Yemen they might well want the Qatari's to quit their independent foreign policy immediately​. Therefore, attacking Qatar could well be part of the overall Yemen policy.

If Trump has green lighted this the Americans aren't going to do anything, they'll just sit and watch from their air base.

crewmeal
7th Jun 2017, 19:15
Qatar crisis: Turkish parliament approves troop deployment | Middle East Eye (http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gulf-tension-more-threats-qatar-russia-us-dragged-crisis-892649938)

I really must watch Lawrence of Arabia again, I can't remember the outcome :ok:

ExDubai
7th Jun 2017, 19:58
Qatar crisis: Turkish parliament approves troop deployment | Middle East Eye (http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gulf-tension-more-threats-qatar-russia-us-dragged-crisis-892649938)

I really must watch Lawrence of Arabia again, I can't remember the outcome :ok:
I believe it was something like "the Saudis cut the water supply and we need the english engineers" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhBIPZCVj84

luvly jubbly
7th Jun 2017, 20:00
I really must watch Lawrence of Arabia again, I can't remember the outcome

He crashed his motorbike in Dorset

Yousaidit
8th Jun 2017, 04:21
nobody is going to attack anybody....

So the Saudis are at the border. Meanwhile 10000 trigger happy US troops, freshly terrorized Iranian republican guard and now wannabe dictator Erdogans Turkish Army will all share a plot of land of just 4000 square miles.

Not so cocksure now, eh Iron Butt

Your Mr Trump has done an incredible job with the Middle East

justforfun
8th Jun 2017, 11:34
So the Saudis are at the border. Meanwhile 10000 trigger happy US troops, freshly terrorized Iranian republican guard and now wannabe dictator Erdogans Turkish Army will all share a plot of land of just 4000 square miles.

Not so cocksure now, eh Iron Butt

Your Mr Trump has done an incredible job with the Middle East

This has nothing to do with Trump etc...This has been simmering for years. If you have lived in the ME for more than 4 or 5 years you would know this.

Ironbutt57 is spot on.

justforfun
8th Jun 2017, 11:44

Think he/she may be back as "Yousaidit" ... one post

anson harris
8th Jun 2017, 12:28
He crashed his motorbike in Dorset

That was actually at the very start.

Mr Good Cat
8th Jun 2017, 12:37
That was actually at the very start.

:E

Didn't he also spend a night as a guest of a Turkish General at some point in the movie. He knows what it's like to be an EK crew member ;)

ExDubai
8th Jun 2017, 14:49
Blocking the QR website in the UAE but still importing a lot of gas from Qatar. That's pragmatism

Deep and fast
9th Jun 2017, 10:14
Trumps middle east strategy.
1 inflame the situation?
2 Incite war between the arab states?
3 Sell them huge amounts of weaponry
4 No more Arabs, slip in and steal the oil and gas.

Well, he is a businessman :sad:

jetjockey696
9th Jun 2017, 13:11
Expats residing in Qatar will not be eligible for visa on arrival in UAE - Gulf Business (http://gulfbusiness.com/expats-in-qatar-will-not-be-eligible-for-visa-on-arrival-in-uae-etihad/)

justforfun
9th Jun 2017, 14:12
Expats residing in Qatar will not be eligible for visa on arrival in UAE - Gulf Business (http://gulfbusiness.com/expats-in-qatar-will-not-be-eligible-for-visa-on-arrival-in-uae-etihad/)

FFS! :ugh:

Airmann
9th Jun 2017, 16:05
Qatar stopped issuing visa stickers in passports around 2 years ago. They only issue IDs to expats in the country. So the question is if you hold a passport that is elegible for arrival visa in the UAE how would they know that you live in Qatar?

Odins Raven
9th Jun 2017, 18:43
Trumps middle east strategy.
1 inflame the situation?
2 Incite war between the arab states?
3 Sell them huge amounts of weaponry
4 No more Arabs, slip in and steal the oil and gas.

Well, he is a businessman :sad:

Whilst I agree with you, is this actually any different to US/Western foreign policy for the last 40 years? That's not a dig at the US by the way, just an observation.

crewmeal
9th Jun 2017, 19:51
Am I reading this correctly? So BA operate a daily service to and from DOH, therefore they will not be allowed to fly into the UAE?

The UAE banned all international flights serving Doha from flying through its airspace amid an escalating diplomatic crisis between Qatar and its Arabian Gulf neighbours.

UAE closes airspace to all flights to Qatar as Gulf crisis intensifies | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/world/middle-east/uae-closes-airspace-to-all-flights-to-qatar-as-gulf-crisis-intensifies)

Or is it about over flying Qatar to get to the UAE?:ugh:

CCGE29
9th Jun 2017, 20:26
It's flight to Qatar that currently overfly the UAE. For example Oman Air still uses UAE Airspace on flights from Muscat to Doha. Thus flight would no longer be able to operate through UAE airspace.

crewmeal
9th Jun 2017, 20:35
In that case a badly worded piece of journalism.

skkm
10th Jun 2017, 01:06
Am I reading this correctly?

Or is it about over flying Qatar to get to the UAE?:ugh:

It's about overflying the UAE to get to Qatar

Scuderia46
10th Jun 2017, 11:42
Finally getting what they deserve.

gearlever
10th Jun 2017, 11:56

Yes, but what about the Saudis...?

The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda). Fifteen of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia), and the others were from the United Arab Emirates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates) (2), Egypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt), and Lebanon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon).[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijackers_in_the_September_11_attacks#cite_note-cia.gov-1) The hijackers were organized into four teams, each led by a pilot-trained hijacker with three or four "muscle hijackers," who were trained to help subdue the pilots, passengers, and crew.

DCS99
10th Jun 2017, 19:12
Called Etisalat and they said they will refund our BeIN Sports subscription this month.

If anyone knows where we can watch the Canadian Grand Prix in Dubai, let us know.

surveytheworld
10th Jun 2017, 22:14
Called Etisalat and they said they will refund our BeIN Sports subscription this month.

If anyone knows where we can watch the Canadian Grand Prix in Dubai, let us know.

PM me if you want an "unofficial" live feed link from Sky.

UAL777
11th Jun 2017, 05:41

Yes, they certainly are and this is just the begining :D ...Of the end for the GCC, especially Qatar :{

Obbie
11th Jun 2017, 10:30
Shouldn't you be off somewhere, beating the crap out of one of your passengers ?

When is IATA going to grow a pair and pull EK membership ?
They are the only one actually breaking an international air law.

On a plus note, the Turkish milk is much tastier than that crap from Saudi !

afcwxm
11th Jun 2017, 10:34

park regis kris kin hotel in karama open as usual and they have all the bein channels no sign of ramadan or ban on their sports channels.. busy now lots of folk watching sa v ind in the cricket.. amber juice flowing!

afcwxm
11th Jun 2017, 10:37
f1 on live at 2130 grandstand bar just off the lobby

gearlever
11th Jun 2017, 14:10
Iran sending 90 tonns of fruits and vegetables with Iran Air to Qatar.
Katar: Iran schickt Flugzeuge mit Lebensmitteln - SPIEGEL ONLINE (http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/katar-iran-schickt-flugzeuge-mit-lebensmitteln-a-1151593.html)

Cazalet33
11th Jun 2017, 14:22
The Qataris won't forget who their friends are.

gearlever
11th Jun 2017, 15:27
Now the Qataris hired John Ashcroft as consultant, 2.5 Mio USD.

Piloto Maluco
11th Jun 2017, 23:00
Ryanair is coming in DOH in few days to recruit you guys...

Obbie
12th Jun 2017, 06:25
Hahaha, I would rather drive a taxi, seriously :)

Kapitanleutnant
12th Jun 2017, 13:19
One man's trash can be another man's treasure...

UAL777
12th Jun 2017, 17:41
I would start packing if I was in Qatar. Atleast fly the wife n kids back home if that applies to you. Sh!t is about to get a lot worse in Qatar as they defy the other GCC members. Donald Trump will not help Qatar so that hope is gone. It's funny because Akbar Al Baker used to boast about how good of a friend Donald Trump is to him, lol, AAB was naive. It's like a form of strong black magic has hit Qatar. Very strange.

Also for those in QR making fun of the likes of Ryan Air, be very careful in mocking any potential employer at this time as you may need them. Or, you can always drive a taxi...

Qatar shouldn't have supported terrorism but they did it and now they will pay the price. Again, I would leave Qatar just to be safe. It's not safe being in Qatar at the moment.

6000PIC
12th Jun 2017, 19:08
If the nameless airline and EK really wanted to do QR the final death blow , they would offer jobs to all QR crew. Would love to see the look on AAB`s face then.

UAL777
12th Jun 2017, 19:27
Qatar Airways will become a thing of the past, all QR employees should be very worried. Abu Dhabi and EK should encourage QR employees to join.

ExDubai
12th Jun 2017, 19:36
I would start packing if I was in Qatar. Atleast fly the wife n kids back home if that applies to you. Sh!t is about to get a lot worse in Qatar as they defy the other GCC members. Donald Trump will not help Qatar so that hope is gone. It's funny because Akbar Al Baker used to boast about how good of a friend Donald Trump is to him, lol, AAB was naive. It's like a form of strong black magic has hit Qatar. Very strange.

Also for those in QR making fun of the likes of Ryan Air, be very careful in mocking any potential employer at this time as you may need them. Or, you can always drive a taxi...

Qatar shouldn't have supported terrorism but they did it and now they will pay the price. Again, I would leave Qatar just to be safe. It's not safe being in Qatar at the moment.

That sounds like POTUS.....

BTW, if we talk about financing terrorism; Saudia should be a domestic airline. I don't see any reason why it isn't safe in Qatar. The Saudis can't manage the conflict in Yemem. Going into another "adventure" with the risk that this will end up in a war with Iran and Turkey would be foolish. Keep in mind that they have a large Shia minority in the eastern province.

UAL777
12th Jun 2017, 20:08
That sounds like POTUS.....

BTW, if we talk about financing terrorism Saudia should be a domestic airline. I don't see any reason why it isn't safe in Qatar. The Saudis can't manage the conflict in Yemem. Going into another "adventure" with the risk that this will end up in a war with Iran and Turkey would be foolish. Keep in mind that they have a large Shia minority in the eastern province.

If the U.S pulls out of Qatar, then it's game over. Donald Trump seems to be on the sides of Saudi and its allies. Let's see what happens but it doesn't look too bright for Qatar..

Obbie
12th Jun 2017, 20:22
If the nameless airline and EK really wanted to do QR the final death blow , they would offer jobs to all QR crew. Would love to see the look on AAB`s face then.

I think you would be shocked at how few would apply.
The satisfaction rate at QR is actually quite high.
Unlike the two UAE twins.

mmorel
12th Jun 2017, 21:53
on one wants to join Emirate or other airlines from Qatar.

we have a better schedule than Emirate. We get full leaves every year and every month we have at least 4 off days in a row by default.

Maybe Emirate's pilot should join Qatar.

Qatar Airways will become a thing of the past, all QR employees should be very worried. Abu Dhabi and EK should encourage QR employees to join.

ExDubai
12th Jun 2017, 22:13
If the U.S pulls out of Qatar, then it's game over. Donald Trump seems to be on the sides of Saudi and its allies. Let's see what happens but it doesn't look too bright for Qatar..
And Turkey just started to deploy troops to Qatar. Did you recognize that the left hand in the US administration doesn't agree what the right hand says.
I bet if the US pulls out a couple of tenants are ready to move in. The enemy of my enemy is my friend......

CCGE29
12th Jun 2017, 22:57
Some reports suggest that the POTUS didn't know about the US base in Qatar...

I would rather fly with QR than any of the big three US Airlines, especially UA & AA who are probably one step up from Air Koryo.

ExDubai
12th Jun 2017, 23:04
Some reports suggest that the POTUS didn't know about the US base in Qatar...

I would rather fly with QR than any of the big three US Airlines, especially UA & AA who are probably one step up from Air Koryo.
WTF..... stop bullying Air Koryo. The best Burger ever ;)

UAL777
13th Jun 2017, 01:31
on one wants to join Emirate or other airlines from Qatar.

we have a better schedule than Emirate. We get full leaves every year and every month we have at least 4 off days in a row by default.

Maybe Emirate's pilot should join Qatar.

I understand Qatar Airways may be a better employer than EK but you may not be left with many alternatives just in case all this escalates and you get furloughed. Just sayin, anything is possible at this point.

UAL777
13th Jun 2017, 01:33
And Turkey just started to deploy troops to Qatar. Did you recognize that the left hand in the US administration doesn't agree what the right hand says.
I bet if the US pulls out a couple of tenants are ready to move in. The enemy of my enemy is my friend......

It sure won't be pretty if the U.S pulls out, I can tell you that much. We'll have to see how this plays out.

north flyer
13th Jun 2017, 01:33
Ran into a QR crew in PVG in the lobby of the hotel 2 days ago, a 3 man crew, all 3 were western expats, when I asked if any of them were thinking of jumping ship to EK, they all said basically the same thing, that if QR falls apart, none of them would even think about going to EK.

richard III
13th Jun 2017, 20:30
UAL...you seem to be as clever as POTUS, do you think EK and EY can afford an escalation? if this doesn't stop, its game over for everyone in the gulf, ... and BTW , how many qatari citizens are in the terrorist lists?, because Saudi and Emirati are plenty, starting with the 9/11 mob....you bought the saudi and UAE story just like POTUS whose tweets BTW, are just like your posts....draw your own conclusion mate

Emma Royds
13th Jun 2017, 22:42
The US will not be pulling out of Qatar and there will be no escalation for the simple reason that there is too much at stake, should either or both of these happen.

The US stands to loose the most out of any country situated outside the Middle East, should things deteriorate further. Not only would they have a lot less influence in the region but there is currently around $20 Billion in defence sales with Boeing, that is pending agreement at present.

I suspect we will see a rapprochement in US vs Qatar relations and the US will walk the diplomatic tightrope by attempting to be cordial with all the GCC countries. Easier said than done I suspect!

gtaflyer
14th Jun 2017, 03:43
Definition of a Catalyst
1 technical : a substance that causes a chemical reaction to happen more quickly
2 : a person or event that quickly causes change or action

Sounds like POTUS to me. Getting Saudi and UAE to do the dirty work. When it's finished and all parties exhausted and weak he will move in for the kill and wipe out all of them and takeover. Careful Saudi and UAE!! Does catalyst not sound like terrorist?
I'd have to go and do the maths who's really gaining and whose really loosing but having control of the region will outweight all other considerations such as military contracts lost etc

fatbus
14th Jun 2017, 16:25
Funny listening to the pilot political experts

SilverSeated
14th Jun 2017, 22:01
[QUOTE=fatbus;9802142]Funny listening to the pilot political experts[/QUOTE

To true fatbus, it's entertaining though...

crewmeal
15th Jun 2017, 06:05
Qatar does have friends

Donald Trump news - US to sell £9.4 billion worth of jets to Qatar | World | News | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/817336/Donald-Trump-Qatar-fighter-jets-sale-deal-purchase-terrorism-US-relations-Rex-Tillerson)

luvly jubbly
15th Jun 2017, 06:37
Qatar does have friends

Donald Trump news - US to sell £9.4 billion worth of jets to Qatar | World | News | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/817336/Donald-Trump-Qatar-fighter-jets-sale-deal-purchase-terrorism-US-relations-Rex-Tillerson)

Well, he is a businessman. Cause the friction and sell arms to both sides

Emma Royds
15th Jun 2017, 08:57
Funny listening to the pilot political experts

It is a rumour network after all! :p

glofish
15th Jun 2017, 15:39
We typically use more fuel going around weather en route than we do going around the UAE.

That doesn't surprise me at all, listening to QatarRadio 121.5 ...:ugh:

Flyboy_SG
16th Jun 2017, 01:07

I beg to differ UAL. They have a strong economy. It's highly likely that they will sort out the issues soon.

Flyboy_SG
16th Jun 2017, 01:17
And well I did hear a Qatare super cruise at F400 on the way back from Far East.

The Outlaw
16th Jun 2017, 02:51
And well I did hear a Qatare super cruise at F400 on the way back from Far East.

Was he at the correct level and in contact with ATC? They're funny about that out that way.

donpizmeov2
16th Jun 2017, 08:42
I'm going to pee in my diaper if QR is the first one to offer a real commuting contract ...

lederhosen
17th Jun 2017, 16:20
I remember seeing a yield study of middle eastern routes. The local traffic had dramatically better profitability than say connecting long haul traffic. Cutting off everyone local bar the Iranians, who I cannot imagine make up the biggest premium cabin market, would not strike me as great for Qatar.

ExDubai
23rd Jun 2017, 08:25
It looks like the Saudis demand a full kowtow....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

h3dxb
23rd Jun 2017, 09:09
Gents, careful what you post and what you link.

It is not Lala Land anymore.

500k fine and 15 years jail might appear.

H3DXB

momo95
23rd Jun 2017, 10:22
Arab states issue list of demands to end Qatar crisis | Qatar News | Al Jazeera (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/arab-states-issue-list-demands-qatar-crisis-170623022133024.html)

qwertyuiop
23rd Jun 2017, 10:28
The chance of Qatar agreeing to those demands seems remote.
More worrying for those presently in the gulf is h3dxb's legitimate warning.

GEB74
23rd Jun 2017, 14:38
Looks like a temporary home for some of Qatar Airways planes might have been 'conveniently' found.............
Apparently BA wants nine of them flying to cover the upcoming two week mixed fleet cabin crew strike.
So instead of being banned flying into your neighbours airspace, you can now spend a fortnight on scab labour duties.
Nice!!

gearlever
24th Jun 2017, 10:36
No worries, only a"family issue"....

White House: Qatar Gulf row is a 'family issue' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40387894)

Rule3
24th Jun 2017, 18:36
gearleaver et al.

Always has been and always will be a FAMILY ISSUE.

Ask anyone who has lived in the ME for any length of time.

The "United Arab Emirates" and the GCC are a joke and a laughing stock. Can't agree on Rail Link. One Currency etc etc etc .

Why? My family wants it it in Saudi, mine wants it in Dubai and mine wan..ts it in Abu Dhabi. Always has been and will be a willy waving exercise by those suffering small man syndrome.

gearlever
24th Jun 2017, 18:44
gearleaver et al.

Always has been and always will be a FAMILY ISSUE.

Ask anyone who has lived in the ME for any length of time.

The "United Arab Emirates" and the GCC are a joke and a laughing stock. Can't agree on Rail Link. One Currency etc etc etc .

Why? My family wants it it in Saudi, mine wants it in Dubai and mine wan..ts it in Abu Dhabi. Always has been and will be a willy waving exercise by those suffering small man syndrome.

Wise words Rule3 :ok:

Dubaian
25th Jun 2017, 11:30
It was once said of a GCC summit meeting that if you put a clock in the middle of the conference table they wouldn't agree the time.

donpizmeov2
25th Jun 2017, 14:20
I'm pretty sure BA asked everyone in UK before QR ... but it's summer and it's busy like every summer!

JAARule
25th Jun 2017, 16:04
you can now spend a fortnight on scab labour duties.
Nice!!
It's not scab labour if you outlaw workers even discussing the idea of unionisation in your own country. The scab concept wouldn't rate a single single thought.

edi_local
25th Jun 2017, 22:18
UAL777 so you'd just up and leave Qatar would you? Doesnt say much for your judgement or your loyalty.

QR just posted record profits, it's a great place to work and I for one am proud and happy to be working here. I wouldn't consider moving to EK or the other if things did get worse. I'd stay and do my best to help out.

I hope this situation gets sorted out soon but I for one haven't seen much of a change.. We typically use more fuel going around weather en route than we do going around the UAE.

This is exactly what I hear from my QR crew buddies and numerous ex-pats I know in Doha. Literally 1 is thinking of leaving, but has been thinking of packing in her crewing job for the last year or so anyway, so is totally unrelated. Everyone else I know, in Ops and various other roles at DOH have no intention of leaving. Like has been said, QR have posted record profits recently, they are still going ahead with their expansion plans, are looking into the Indian market and are trying to buy a share of AA. It has just won a range of skytrax awards again, boosting it's profile higher than the other gulf carriers. Those are hardly the signs of an airline in decline. El Al has survived all this time amid countless conflicts and airspace restrictions with it's nearest neighbours and faces hefty bills for security, why would much wealthier and larger QR be worse exactly?

The country is still trading with non gulf states, so is ticking along just fine. The Qatari government is not kicking anyone out or making demands. Indeed if they wanted to, they could cut off the gas to the UAE, but take the moral high ground. As this all goes on I am sure more and more countries will start to wonder what exactly is driving all this. The sheer diplomatic brutality being exerted on Doha is ridiculous and I think the world is starting to realise this.

golfyankeesierra
25th Jun 2017, 22:18
I'd be more worried about BA keeping their long haul passengers once they have have been on board a QR aircraft
You bet the QR aircraft will arrive shiny as new at LHR; good thinking sharing your customers with the competition..

fatbus
1st Jul 2017, 07:19
All 4 still there

crewmeal
1st Jul 2017, 10:40
Now some banks are cutting ties with Qatar.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2017/06/30/Britain-s-Tesco-bank-has-stopped-selling-Qatari-riyals-at-its-stores.html

desert_dog
2nd Jul 2017, 15:17
Not a big deal as Qatari Riyal is not "free market currency" like others.

For banks Qatari Riyal is some kind of exotic currency and if somebody was dealing the reason was only to make business smooth for good number of local customers (London great example) but when this crisis came is no wonder banks stopped as Q.Riyal has no real value and currency can sink by xx% in a day without warning

In continental Europe I can not recall any bank dealing with Riyal even before crisis. Also my bank ask me deal with dollars and offered VIP exchange rate to do business directly in QAR instead.

So not a big surprise.

I can see bigger problem what happen in few hours after 10 day deadline as Saudi apparently preparing some more sanctions for Qatar.

gearlever
2nd Jul 2017, 20:01
I can see bigger problem what happen in few hours after 10 day deadline as Saudi apparently preparing some more sanctions for Qatar.

Yep, interesting days to come....

Paper Lad
4th Jul 2017, 04:16
Now some banks are cutting ties with Qatar.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2017/06/30/Britain-s-Tesco-bank-has-stopped-selling-Qatari-riyals-at-its-stores.html

Qatar riyal back near peg as local banks assert control, cool speculation (http://www.qatarscoop.com/qatar/qatar-riyal-back-near-peg-local-banks-assert-control-cool-speculation/)

PanAmFalcon
30th Jul 2017, 13:46
So... how much longer will the boycott last ? Heard a lot of things happened in today's meeting 🤔

Fuel-Off
30th Jul 2017, 14:12
Is EK still accepting the Qatari Riyal for in flight duty free purchases? I was speaking to a purser when the blockade was into it's first month, she said that Service Delivery had issued a directive to cabin crew to still accept the QAR.

Blockades due to differing ideologies, but if their cash is still green... :hmm::=

Fuel-Off :ok:

Black Pudding
30th Jul 2017, 18:43
I hear BEIN Sports maybe working again over there ? Any truth in this rumour

fliion
30th Jul 2017, 21:34
Yes - confirmed to subscibers via email.

EPL, F1 et al - all back

nitro rig driver
31st Jul 2017, 08:07
I hear BEIN Sports maybe working again over there ? Any truth in this rumour

It never went away----on satellite ;), i even renewed the subscription long after the spat started..

givemewings
31st Jul 2017, 12:09
Actually it was NOT to accept Qatari riyals onboard. That was like 2 days after everything started and I don't think it has changed since.

donpizmeov
31st Jul 2017, 18:11
There was an update wings about 7 days after the don't accept that it was OK to accept QR for duty free.

Lepo
9th Aug 2017, 00:59
UAE and Bahrain grant Qatar Airways new routes

Qatar calls it a "great success" as planes registered in the country gain some access after over two months of blockade.

Qatar Airways can now access a new route over international waters in the Gulf controlled by the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, the world aviation agency announced.

The Montreal-based International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has been working with "various Middle Eastern states to ensure equitable access to airspace for Qatar-registered aircraft" since sanctions were announced on June 5, ICAO spokesman Anthony Philbin said on Tuesday.

"Some existing air route availability has been assured, and some new temporary or contingency routes have also been developed," including through Bahrain and UAE airspace, he told AFP news agency.

Qatar had asked the ICAO to approve new routes after Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt banned Qatar Airways from their airspace as part of economic and diplomatic boycott.

The air traffic restrictions have caused headaches for the 2.4 million residents of Qatar, 90 percent of whom are foreigners, as flights were forced to take longer routes, for example, to Southeast Asia.

"The ICAO and the states involved are continuously monitoring related air route suitability and ATM (air traffic management) measures, which may still be subject to further modification if necessary, by mutual agreement," Philbin said.

Saj Ahmad, chief analyst at the aviation consultancy Strategic Aero Research, said the new corridor, though temporary, bodes "well for a longer term solution that may provide much needed breathing space for Qatar Airways".

Ahmad told Al Jazeera that while he does not "see any resumption of pre-June 2017 normalcy in terms of flights to and from Doha", it will enable Qatar Airways to fly a little more efficiently, particularly when it could not previously fly over UAE airspace.

The UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Egypt cut ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of supporting "terrorism", an allegation Doha vehemently denies.

As part of the blockade, the countries restricted airspace for all Qatari-registered aircraft.

The announcement on Tuesday follows a close-door meeting last week between delegates and UN aviation agency's governing council in Montreal.

Those at the meeting discussed contingency routes that had been planned as part of a preliminary agreement reached earlier this month, but not yet opened to Qatar-registered flights.

Doha had asked ICAO to intervene after its national carrier was denied access to the Saudi-led group's airspace.

Qatar's Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement that the new route "was great success for Qatar, given its ability to convince the International Civil Aviation Organization of the importance of compliance by the siege countries to the Chicago Convention".

Strategic Aero Research's Ahmad said that while the ICAO meeting may have prompted conversations, there was "no indication that the ICAO directly influence" the decision of the blockading countries.

He warned the new corridor could be "rescinded in minutes" if the UAE or Bahrain decide to do so.

Link: UAE and Bahrain grant Qatar Airways new routes | Qatar News | Al Jazeera (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/uae-bahrain-grant-qatar-airways-routes-170808161602538.html)

Airmann
9th Aug 2017, 07:29
I think it's just a route from Doha to north side of UAE FIR and then north to Iran or Muscat.

Edit

Confirmed: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/qatar-flights-granted-access-to-uae-corridor-440068/

Qatar Airways flights have been granted limited access to United Arab Emirates airspace in order to ease operations over the Gulf.

NOTAMs issued by the United Arab Emirates state that a temporary air traffic services route has been created between Iranian airspace and Bahraini airspace, passing through the UAE flight information region.

This corridor, designated T665, extends from waypoint DAPER in the east through ITMUS, some 70nm north-west of Abu Dhabi, to the OVONA waypoint bordering Bahrain.

The NOTAM states that the corridor – from cruise altitudes of 22,000-30,000ft – is intended for Qatari-registered long-haul aircraft inbound to Doha.

Qatar's civil aviation authority states that the opening of the air route follows an extraordinary meeting of the ICAO Council within the last few days, during which it had considered the impact of the airspace blockade on Qatar's aviation industry.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE banned Qatari-registered aircraft from their airspace in early June.

PanAmFalcon
9th Aug 2017, 09:21
Don't think qr will return to Saudi UAE or Bahrain . But things are quiet now and that's always a symbol of negotiations