PDA

View Full Version : Flying Bull Cobra landing went wrong

skadi
25th May 2017, 14:37
The Bell Cobra of the austrian Flying Bull team was destroyed when the main rotor struck a roof after landing for refuelling on a small airfield in Austria. The well known pilot was lucky, he had already left the helicopter.

http://www.tt.com/home/13023887-91/hubschrauber-in-h%C3%B6fen-abgest%C3%BCrzt-pilot-blieb-unverletzt.csp

skadi

hairline
25th May 2017, 16:02
The report linked above said the accident happened after the pilot left the cockpit - not the case according to the emerging video footage...
Tyrol seems to see a spike in helicopter accidents this month - at least nobody got hurt in this one.

skadi
25th May 2017, 16:40
Mmh, it was obviously flown into the building

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3f1_1495721793#ckQzy5sqB5AO3pwO.03

skadi

hueyracer
25th May 2017, 17:54
Maybe its the angle of the video....or the quality..but that looks like a beginner trying to land and hover it....of course difficult to say......

muermel
25th May 2017, 21:01
Sigfried "Blacky" Schwarz flew the aircraft (chief pilot of the helicopter division of the flying bulls) who's highly experienced. I can't imagine him just flying it into the building trying to park next to the fuel pump. Maybe part of the roof or some sort of canopy over the pumps was dislogded by the downwash and touched the blades. Or maybe he just made a mistake....

imuney
25th May 2017, 21:02
A truly embarrassing moment for Austrias' top dog. Red Bull is trying its best to put a good spin on the story and distance Mr. Blacky from the mishap. First they claim the pilot was already outside the cockpit when the blades struck the building, once the video surfaced the narrative was changed to "the skids were already on the ground when a gust of wind pushed the helicopter towards the building"!

Would it be so unimaginable that a pilot of this excellence and skill could simply have misjudge the distance to the building?

25th May 2017, 21:19
No gust of wind, no extraneous influence - that is just a f*ckup.

Why? if he is flying from RHS then cross-cockpit judgement of distance would be tricky. If from LHS then no excuse.

Don't they have ground marshallers?

Bing
25th May 2017, 21:23
Why? if he is flying from RHS then cross-cockpit judgement of distance would be tricky. If from LHS then no excuse.

Tricky to do either in a Cobra!

Watching the video it sounds like the blades initially just clip the building before part of it comes loose and it all goes south quickly.

H Peacock
25th May 2017, 21:30
Looks as though contact was made as the Cobra was descending with its blades above the building.

Crab. Not sure a Cobra has left or right seats, is it not a more warry type with front and back!

rjtjrt
26th May 2017, 01:58
This video is from the first post link.
Lucky cameraman.

http://www.tt.com/home/13023887-91/hubschrauber-in-höfen-abgestürzt-pilot-blieb-unverletzt.csp?tab=video

skadi
26th May 2017, 05:02
No gust of wind, no extraneous influence - that is just a f*ckup.

Don't they have ground marshallers?

He was flying from the aft of the two seats of the Cobras tandem cockpit...

skadi

WASALOADIE
26th May 2017, 08:26
Just watched the video, pausing and playing. Looks like he landed a couple of feet clear, light on the skids and slid slowly left towards to building until contact was made.

Pilot mishap IMHO

Lychee
26th May 2017, 08:40
Sad loss of a rare machine, must be pretty expensive to replace? (if they can get one)

cattletruck
26th May 2017, 09:23
Should have gone to spec-savers.

sycamore
26th May 2017, 09:38
Was there a press conference,and were the floats armed...?

Pretty basic stuff ,rotor effects near buildings....
Good job he wasn`t flying the Sycamore....

26th May 2017, 13:06
Doh! should have gone to Specsavers! me for missing the aircraft type and the pilot for not missing the building:)

Self loading bear
26th May 2017, 13:16
Doh! should have gone to Specsavers! me for missing the aircraft type and the pilot for not missing the building:)

Crab you are partially right:
Cobra was flown sideways,
Pilot looks therefore to be in the left hand seat.
No excuses!
I think the rotorblades were just above the roof. When pitch was reduced the whole thing exploded.

SLB

Two's in
26th May 2017, 13:22
A pilot of his caliber most certainly adheres 100% to the regulations.

Never conflate experience with judgement. Some pilots get there by sheer luck alone.

Thracian
26th May 2017, 13:35
Pilot looks therefore to be in the left hand seat.
There is NO left hand seat in a Cobra, unless you're standing on the skid and reaching into the cockpit...

hairline
26th May 2017, 13:57
The article linked in the first post has been updated with some quotes from the pilot himself directly after the incident. He said "I flew there pretty close, had the heli already on the ground and got out. The blades were spinning down. Then the machine must have been moved a little and the blades touched the roof."
That the Bell is now just a pile of junk is "annoying, but she wasn't worth much. She is really old."

Now (http://www.krone.at/oesterreich/unfallpilot-war-ein-fehler-wie-beim-einparken-heli-zertruemmert-story-571249) he admits "I took back power which causes the rotor to be pushed down. During that it touched a wall. It was really windy, that certainly played some role. Yes, I unfortunately misjudged the situation. It was like a parking accident."
He also said that the Cobra will be repaired and should be serviceable again.

So I guess the first statement was some kind of shock-induced reaction...

Old Age Pilot
26th May 2017, 14:28
There is NO left hand seat in a Cobra, unless you're standing on the skid and reaching into the cockpit...

I think you're missing the joke here, Thracian ;)

imuney
26th May 2017, 15:03
This video is from the first post link.
Lucky cameraman.

http://www.tt.com/home/13023887-91/hubschrauber-in-höfen-abgestürzt-pilot-blieb-unverletzt.csp?tab=video

I swear, the helicopter was on the ground and I have already left the cockpit. The blades were coasting down as a gust of wind pushed the helicopter into the building! Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

Not sure why he thinks he can get away with this intentional untruth, there were cameras and cell phones everywhere. Fess up and own it for Pete's sake, after all you're the sky god of Austria!

ShyTorque
26th May 2017, 15:36
It's not the first time that a helicopter pilot has failed to realise that because he sits forward of the rotor disc centre, the disc is "wider" than what he can see.

Sevarg
26th May 2017, 16:05
All got it wrong, the building walked into the blades. Builder to blame. Case closed.

Bell_ringer
26th May 2017, 16:22
Apparently the building will be hosting a press conference tomorrow thanking the people for their awesomeness!

BluSdUp
26th May 2017, 16:35
Another good landing in the FlingWing department .
Press conference in progress.

Reminds me of what the definition of a helicopter is:
10 000 parts flying in tight formation!
Hence def. helicopter accident:
10 000 parts flying in 10 000 different directions!

No , that never gets old!!!

Anyway, no RIP on this one, minus the old lady.
A rather pathetic way to go compared to Nam or Iraq!?

Oh, and RIP to PIC pride!:E

ericferret
26th May 2017, 16:45
The building is apparently suing the airfield, Bell, the pilot and Lycoming.
Its also been approached about movie rights. Working title to be "A complete Bulls up"

"He also said that the Cobra will be repaired and should be serviceable again".

T Cut check
Speed tape check
Gorilla glue check
Duct tape check
Bailer twine check
Old coke cans check

Ok you maintenance chappies I'll collect it in the morning.

LRP
26th May 2017, 21:33
Those blade tips fly a little lower at flat pitch.

krohmie
26th May 2017, 21:37
I think he fell into old habits.

He flew EMC Helicopters for 21 Years and knows the field very good.
It is possible he was just using the standard position for refueling (for the chopper with the smaller rotor disk).

Interview excerpt:
Sie kennen den Flugplatz in Höfen doch genau?
Ich bin als Notarztpilot für die Christophorus- Flotte öfter dort gelandet. Ich war 21 Jahre bei der Rettungsstaffel und bin insgesamt rund 7000 Einsätze für sie geflogen.

aa777888
27th May 2017, 00:34
There's piles of room at the airport. Why act like you're the bloke trying to land between an inn and the river in the UK?

Hot and Hi
27th May 2017, 12:30
The contact lens story is hilarious!

whoknows idont
27th May 2017, 12:41
When I first clicked on this thread I expected to see this again:

ye5dRqS7Pm4

Vertical Freedom
27th May 2017, 13:48
Hey whoknows idont...what an unbelievable pick-up :yuk: I've had 10hr students perform better :ouch:

Hey Skadi.......that's a bad hair day, or rather hangar rash day :rolleyes: Sheesh looked like a classic trainee approach onto the runway :O

mickjoebill
27th May 2017, 15:54
He was flying from the aft of the two seats of the Cobras tandem cockpit...

skadi
Does that mean he began to approach the landing site having seen the two people with cameras nearby?

whoknows idont
27th May 2017, 18:36
Basic mistakes that should not be made, esp on a Red Bull a/c.

Especially when there are loads of spectators close by!

SASless
27th May 2017, 22:22
I guess if the guy can afford the Toy he can play with it all he wants....but gee....Cobra's are scarce as Hen's Teeth.....and should not be treated like this one was.

NRDK
28th May 2017, 16:02
No left or Right seat armchair pilots.

Most of us know what happens to the disc as the collective is lowered!

Lucky spectators.

Just glad it wasn't pilot error 🤓

krypton_john
28th May 2017, 20:54
If he was sitting in a Bo-105 he would have still had 9' of clearance!

skadi
29th May 2017, 10:20
Another video:

t0j7OqpcRD0

skadi

havick
30th May 2017, 02:20
Of course.
But no matter what type of helicopter you are flying if you must get very close to an obstruction you have someone standing there to quide you.

I guess you've never flown any firefighting ops, especially a tanked helicopter.

newfieboy
30th May 2017, 14:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Vibs
Of course.
But no matter what type of helicopter you are flying if you must get very close to an obstruction you have someone standing there to quide you.

Guess you've never done confined areas in Canada either.....

ShyTorque
30th May 2017, 19:03
Point is, though - someone could have been marshaling the heli in this particular instance and obviously wasn't.

aa777888
31st May 2017, 02:47
Marshalling, getting close to obstructions, blah, blah, blah. This guy had an entire airport to land on. This was no confined space operation. There was absolutely no reason to get that close to that structure. He couldn't walk an extra 10 feet or drag a fuel hose an extra 10 feet? Or 20 feet?

What am I missing?

Throwing myself under that same bus, mind you, as there is a hangar that I regularly land at where I tuck close in order to minimize effort pushing the ship down an alley into a side door. Maybe time to reassess that behavior...

retoocs
31st May 2017, 14:25
The whole Red Bull brand IS about pushing the limits.

Spunk
31st May 2017, 14:29
He couldn't walk an extra 10 feet or drag a fuel hose an extra 10 feet? Or 20 feet?
Is anybody familiar with the airfield and the length of the fuel hose at that particular fuel pump?

hairline
31st May 2017, 15:57
Duct tape check
Bailer twine check
Old coke cans check

Ok you maintenance chappies I'll collect it in the morning.

Thy should at least use their own cans, like so (http://www.redbullartofcan.com).

Or make some special edition cans out oft the aircraft's aluminium, maybe add some diluted all-natural cobra venom instead of the taurin, and sell them at an auction.
Should get in enough money to sponsor adequately long fuel hoses for that airfield (if they aren't in place already).

Self loading bear
31st May 2017, 18:33
They sure make a mess out of it at Red Bull

https://youtu.be/hm5SMGkSjSs

hm5SMGkSjSs

Cheers SLB

LRP
31st May 2017, 19:17
Is anybody familiar with the airfield and the length of the fuel hose at that particular fuel pump?

He could have done a 180 and put that fuel port a lot closer.

whoknows idont
31st May 2017, 21:58
The whole Red Bull brand IS about pushing the limits.

So true! Intriguing thought. Maybe this was a publicity stunt... :);)

chopper2004
2nd Jun 2017, 20:12
This week she is in Hangar 8 @ Salzburg-Mozart International so here is my photo taken from Hangar 7,

cheers

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IMG_5003_zpsrgtekyn2.jpg

RotorBabe
3rd Jun 2017, 05:20
hmmmm doesn't look like much skills there, I would not want to fly with this pilot, thank you :(

belly tank
3rd Jun 2017, 10:51
An complete fark up.

As other posters have said, there is a whole airport and even the huge apron out the front of the hangar to land. Marshalling!.....spare me!.

Pure and simple the guy just Fkd up!. Deal with it.

RotorKraft
4th Jun 2017, 02:58
that's incredible....incredibly disappointing :ugh:especially his lift off at the airshow......as rotorbabe said I too would not want to fly with this chap :rolleyes:

rotorrookie
5th Jun 2017, 19:23
It is only pure luck and blessing at none of the bystanders got injured with flying bits and pieces of that big heavy blade.
see this video here, close call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHCbGmsuX4s