PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exam validity (IR in particular)

floating_rock
24th May 2017, 20:42
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am shortly to finish my ATPL A exams, and have been working to the idea that an IR must be opened within 36 months of the last exam.

However, some investigation of the CAA website would suggest that the bulk of the IR must be complete within 18 months of the last exam:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Regulations/IR/IR-(A)-requirements---aeroplanes/

Procedural Instrument Flight Module
40 hours single-engine or 45 hours multi-engine instrument time under instruction, and the theoretical knowledge course for the IR(A).

This instruction must be completed in one continuous approved course of training, and the ATO will determine if you are competent in basic instrument flying skills. Refresher training may be required.

This module must be completed within 18 months of passing all the theoretical knowledge exams.

Can anyone confirm that my understanding is correct? I had thought that if an IR wasn't opened within 36 months, then 5 x exams would need to be re-sat. This seems to suggest 18 months.

As an additional complexity - has anyone considered adding an SEP IR to a PPL, with a view to completing the MEP \ CPL \ MEP IR upgrade at a later date? This seems to be less than ideal, but with no prospect of getting three months off work to complete these in one go, doing the qualifications a*se about face might need to be the way forwards.

If anyone can give me any happy news on this, or an alternative idea, I'd be most grateful!

rudestuff
24th May 2017, 21:19
I'd say that the CAA website is wrong regarding the 18 months. It doesn't match with what cap804 says. It also says that an IR(H) holder can have the IR(A) course reduced BY 10 hours, which is wrong. (It can be reduced TO 10 hours)
My bet is that web page was written by someone with poor knowledge of the regulations.

rudestuff
24th May 2017, 21:22
You don't need to bother with MEP either!

felixflyer
25th May 2017, 10:28
There is another route now that I would expect to become more popular.

You can get an IR(R) after 25 hours post PPL. You can then use your hour building to fly IFR hours which count both towards the 100 hour CPL requirement and the CBIR. All this can be done before the ATPL's as well as the MEP leaving only a 15 hour CBIR course to do after the last exam. You may need more than 15 hours but it is still better than the 55 hour course.

The CPL is then reduced by 10 hours as you have an IR.

ABZ777
28th May 2017, 13:35
This module must be completed within 18 months of passing all the theoretical knowledge exams.

This terrified me as I read the same thing on the CAA website one week into my IR. It is incorrect. I had no issues and my IR was successfully issued 30 months after passing the ATPL theory exams.

All the best.

floating_rock
4th Jun 2017, 18:57
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The 18 vs 36 month thing is quite a relief (although I've yet to be able to find it in CAP 804 - bedtime reading tonight I think!)

Interesting thoughts on the IFR hours building as well - thanks for your thoughts Felix.