PDA

View Full Version : African Dreaming

helldog
12th Jul 2002, 03:50
G'day all,

I dont ever seem to hear much about Zambia here. There seems to be some great operators over there. Stabo Air for one. Does anyone know anything about this mob? Or others in that country.

Also for you people in Africa, where would you say is the "dream" place to work in Africa? ie which country in terms of living conditions, pay and the professionalism of the operators?

One more just to be a real pain. Whats going on in aviation in Zimbabwe? Are pilots being treated like farmers?

Cheers.

Flying Bean
12th Jul 2002, 04:47
Zambia and the region as a whole is good at this time for the Light twins and singles operations.(Caravans also really developing). But I see from your profile you are 737. Not my field but I think this area is a lot tougher.
Stabo are not an actual Jet operator. They do Charters with a single Baron. They do a lot of international freight ops by sub leasing on specific routes from other operators.
The jet airline ops are with Zambia Airways,Zambia Skyways & Nationwide, but I doubt they are recruiting.

helldog
18th Jul 2002, 05:31
Thanks Bean. I was going to send you a private message but I read your other post and thought I would ask a couple of questions here, so others can benefit from your replies.

I am quite ignorant on the whole African thing, you sound like you know what the go is, so it would be great if you could answer these questions.

1) What aircraft could one expect to fly in Zambia with a bit over 1000 total time(Almost all remote bush flying in Australia)?

2) Is there other work available to keep the cash flowing while you wait for flying work?

3) Is licence conversion much of a drama? Do you need a test, or is it just an admin fee?

Thats all for now mate. Thanks again.

Cheers