PDA

View Full Version : No more multiple choice questions on ATPL exams?

MattMurphy77
15th May 2017, 12:40
Hi all,
I'm currently at the enrolling stage for a flight school and after a bit of research I've found that EASA aren't doing any more multiple choice questions?

Is this true? Or is it just some of the questions?

Also, say I sit my exams 8 months from now, I've also heard it's best just to study question banks religiously rather than using the books.

Does anyone in a flight school at the minute/Taking ATPL exams at the minute know the situation? Would love to know beforehand.

Cheers

paco
15th May 2017, 15:25
I don't know where your research came from - some exams will have this for August this year in the UK, by no means all. And even then it won't be every question.

paco
15th May 2017, 16:13
That's the idea! :) The Germans have been doing it for a long while.

Rottweiler22
15th May 2017, 17:30
It will certainly have an impact on those who just annihilate the question banks as their sole method of studying. If it's done well, I don't see a problem at all. I've heard they will only be for simple, numerical answers, nothing qualitative, like "Explain the characteristics of the Harmattan wind".

I remember about a decade ago when my old school decided to use an online programme for maths homework. The software was absolutely terrible, the quiz marking system was sensitive to spaces, upper-case letters, decimal places, and all sorts of rubbish. (If you wrote your answer as 1.2873, it would be wrong, as the computer only recognised 1.287 as the correct answer, etc). I'd hate to be the person who fails because you spelt "airborne weather radar" as "airbourne weather radar" or something like that! :}

cavok_flyer
16th May 2017, 05:26
That's the idea! :) The Germans have been doing it for a long while.
The LBA in Germany had/has it that if the answer is a question in PoF, GNAV, W&B, FP is a number, then fill-in-the-blank. Have fun with the 737 cruise tables and try and get your fuel answer +/- 10kg.

TryingToAvoidCBs
16th May 2017, 21:13
" I've also heard it's best just to study question banks religiously rather than using the books" :ugh:

If you care about the industry, and you care about knowing and understanding anything, you'll read the books cover to cover.

I hate the question banks. I don't care how good they are, and I don't care what percentage of the ATPL syllabus is pointless.
Memorising the question banks is a demonstration of lazyness and shows a lack of ability in being able to learn and retain information. Not the kind of person I want in charge of my life at 500mph.

MattMurphy77
16th May 2017, 23:20
Awesome, cheers for the insight everyone! Heard mixed stories so had to ask here as you guys know best.

TryingToAvoidCBs:
I know mate I get that, I've just heard from several people who have learnt the books off by heart that they've got around 60% in an exam compared to someone who learnt the questions banks who got 98%! I just wanted to clarify. Obviously I wouldn't just learn the question banks :)