PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here based in Rapid City, SD?

yldouright
8th May 2017, 10:33
More specifically, I need a regular route from a major to Provo, SD/Ft. Igloo, SD. Sound off if you're interested.

SASless
8th May 2017, 20:26
Fly to Denver....rent a car and drive from there.

yldouright
9th May 2017, 10:13
SASless
That's a 6 hour drive after a 5 hour flight. It's doable but there has to be a better way. Which carriers do direct to Rapid City, SD? (90 minute drive)

Cyclic Hotline
9th May 2017, 14:07
I'm not sure why this question would be relevant and posted here on Rotorheads? You obviously have access to the Internet, so why you can't figure this out is beyond me. You seem to know what doesn't work, so it should be equally easy to figure out what does work.

LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flight+between+SLC+and+RAP)

yldouright
9th May 2017, 16:50
Cyclic Hotline
What makes you believe I haven't done any legwork on this? There are direct flights to Rapid City (~$500 fare) but with four passengers, charters become an option so that's not the headache. The problem is the last leg to Ft. Igloo, SD. Nothing serves it, not even buses and that is why I thought I would try my luck here. A heli from Rapid City to Ft. Igloo is ~40m minutes and it saves the daily car rental. This is a potential market for an enterprising propeller head. Currently at 50 annual trips and likely to grow to 1000 in a year or so.

SASless
9th May 2017, 17:14
Use either United or American Airlines reservations web sites and do some searching for flights.

Also consider wait times, security delays, ground transport delay, then hiring a car once you get to Rapid City.....don't think public transport or even Taxi's are be ready when you are in Edgerton.

Cyclic Hotline
9th May 2017, 18:49
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your initial request. You're in the middle of nowhere there, we just got gas and kept going in that part of the World! You're only immediate operator appears to be these guys Black Hills Aerial Adventures | Mount Rushmore Helicopter Tours (http://coptertours.com/). I'm sure they would be delighted with your business.

yldouright
9th May 2017, 22:12
SASless
You aren't kidding! The issues you cite make timing car rentals challenging. A copter is a much more elegant solution.

Cyclic Hotline
I've sent them an email and expect them to get back to me by tomorrow. I thank you for the reference, I probably wouldn't have found them on my own in time. I'm liking this site so far but having to wait for my posts to show up really sucks (still under moderation).

Gordy
9th May 2017, 23:15
A heli from Rapid City to Ft. Igloo is ~40m minutes

So, for a Jet Ranger to carry 4 people, (assuming weights work), you are looking at a cost of around $1,800.

MarcK
10th May 2017, 15:31
There's an airport in Edgemont, SD. No facilities, but maybe a King Air charter to get you there.

SASless
10th May 2017, 17:22
There is a lot of empty space in that part of the USA....and choices of Motels, Cafe's, even Petrol Stations have to be done with care....as it can be a long way between any of them.

MightyGem
10th May 2017, 20:37
Currently at 50 annual trips and likely to grow to 1000 in a year or so.
So what's going to be happening at Ft Igloo over the next year or so?

Cyclic Hotline
10th May 2017, 20:47
I'd buy a Cessna 206 and base it at KRAP (have to love that identifier). Buy a truck or van and leave it at Edgemont and either work a deal with one of the Operators to use their pilots (flying it Part 91) or look locally for a pilot for your own 206. With the number of trips you plan on doing, do it yourself. You'll save a fortune - you could even afford to buy your own helicopter for that matter!

SandBlaster214
10th May 2017, 21:14
Have you looked at flying a major into Denver and connecting with Boutique Air into either, Alliance, Ne. or Chadron, Ne.? Alliance is a two+ hour drive and Chadron is a little over an hour.

SASless
10th May 2017, 21:40
I spent two weeks in Chadron one night!

FloaterNorthWest
10th May 2017, 21:47
Mighty Gem,

May be this.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/01/11/vivos-xpoint-south-dakota-bunker-field-worlds-largest-survival-shelter-community/

FNW