PDA

View Full Version : Is an IR mandatory for work in the Delta?

Wireless
11th Jul 2002, 18:38
Evening folks,

When I first joined Pprune the first thing I did was delve into the African forum, because that is what interests me. I remember that about a year ago there was a lot of info floating about on a seemingly marvellous place called Maun. I remember that a Pilot with the username Swamprat had lots of really useful info for the tyro bush Pilot when it came to Delta flying. I could not find the answer to one question though.

Do you need an instrument rating for the kind of work that is peculiar to the game reserves of Maun such as flying tourists around in C206s? I know through a good Pilot friend of mine in Canada that all Canadian "float" flying tends to be VFR. The main reason that I ask is that I have spent too many years trying to get ahead in building up my flying qualifications. I would be only too happy to do the IR at a later date if it were only possible to find some flying work in Africa on a CPL alone (which I am currently working on folks).

If anyone has any pointers for someone like myself who intends making a CAREER out of flying light aircraft in dusty places (I wouldn't look too good a white shirt and braided airline cap) then please feel free to post or e-mail me.

By the way, is anyone out there flying in the Delta? I would love to hear how you managed to get your big break in Aviaton

Cheers, Bill

Oh, thanks Bert for the advice that yourself and Gerry, your friend in S. Africa gave me about 2 months ago. I found really useful;)

lizzard
11th Jul 2002, 20:16
Hey Wire
To answer your question, no, you don't need an IR,
The requirements are:
1 A good sense of humour
2 Comm
3 Stong liver

Best just to get a ticket over there, best times, November and February, when they are looking for people for the next season which starts in May.

Prepare to hang around for anything from 1 week to 3 months.
You'll need about 3000 pula a month ( about 7pula/$ when I last checked)

When you arrive there, go to the Bull & Bush across the road from the airport, that should sort out where you'r going to stay and maybe organise a flight over the Delta.

If you need more info, email me
Good luck

nonradio
12th Jul 2002, 07:21
Two more questions: Can you work there on UK tickets or are US preferred,and is there much Helicopter activity and any job opportunities?
cheers

Wireless
12th Jul 2002, 19:39
Thanks Lizzard, it sounds right up my street. I'll e-mail you tomorrow regarding more info'

Thanks, Bill

Cardinal Puff
17th Jul 2002, 08:47
Flying in Botswana on Bots reg aircraft will require a Bots validation. Usually arranged by your employer as far as I know but if you arrange it yourself before you get to Maun it could be an advantage.

Where does the idea originate that a JAA or FAA qualification is sufficient to fly an African registered aircraft in Africa?

Wireless
17th Jul 2002, 20:53
Might I add that I did not infer that it were possible to fly on an FAA licence alone. Indeed, I have just e-mailed Lizzard regarding the very matter of validations to Bots standards.

Cardinal Puff, is it harder to validate an FAA ticket or a UK CAA ticket to a Bots licence is what should have, and what I will ask?
I am interested to know because I understand that you have to have 50 (or is it 30) hours of right seat time to qualify for a validation in Bots.

Keep it coming guys. What I am really interested in is a question that I posed that no one has responded to: If you are a first timer in the Delta or anywhere in Africa for that matter then please, patronise this thread with the anecdotes of how you found work etc. How you managed to stay in Africa, and what you did before you came out to Africa. Also the expriences and the characters that you met whilst on your adventures out there. I genuinely find deep pleasure in reading stories of other's experiences. No one talks much about their first time in Africa on this forum, and it may be for a reason, but I am just all ears.

Cheers, Bill

AMEX
17th Jul 2002, 21:17
Licence conversion:
JAA, FAA, DCA, DGAC,.... No difference. Air law, C of T/Type Rating (and it is a Type Rating you get on your Bost licence, even for a 206!!!!)
Guide to get a job in Africa:
- Get a World Atlas
- Pick a country
-Get there
-Knock on doors, Get beers to the pilots already employed.
- Hang until it pays off (time scale varies a lot but outcome usually positive).

Personally I chose Bots for two reasons.
-Had seen a programme on TV (or seemed to remember seeing one anyway).
-Could get cheaper flights on the BA network (at the time BA was going to Gabs via JNB).

Went to Zaire later on for two reasons:
- They had lots of DC3s (always wanted to fly one)
-Dodgy country so was expecting to earn big £££

Not so long ago I did another tour in Africa and this time to Gabon. Again two reasons.
- Jobless in Europe (Post 11/9 consequence)
-Got a good tip and a job offer over the phone with a ticket to collect at the airport. The whole thing taking 6 days from the tip to my arrival in LBV.

Africa always worked for me so who knows when i ll be back next. Probably before I want to ;)

4granted
18th Jul 2002, 09:14
Id like to think that having an Instument Rating would make me a better pilot than not having one.
If I were interveiwing Id hire the guy with an IR and not the guy without it....
Getting a job in the Delta lets say, sure you wont be doing ILS's everyday but you never know when you might have too, doing a charter to Vic Falls etc or even going into Joburg airspace in your 206.
IFR flying breeds good procedures that you could and maybe even SHOULD be applying when flying VFR.
So its worth having ..Hey itll save your life ..ONE DAY!
Just how professional do YOU want to be at the end of the day?
cheers
hb4g:rolleyes:

4granted
18th Jul 2002, 09:22
I know how you feel.
Ive also been here in Euro-toblerone-county having done JAR blahdibloops...NO Work...!
Went back to Africa to do a contract in March for a couple of months. WOW!!!! It was so good to be back...almost wanted to give it all up here in disney- "first world" and head back there permanently...But alas it all wares off and the frustrations and of course saftey issues start telling you : "Hey get the F^&*CK back to EU mate and get your **** into an Airliner...so
Here I am un employed, hunting hunting and I just hope its going to be worth it?
There will always be Africa...
Cheers
zs-9q-9j-a2-hb4g :cool:

Cardinal Puff
19th Jul 2002, 11:36
Remember it's tricky keeping your IR current out in the bush unless you can get in the occasional let down or cloud break procedure at approved facilities.

As for jobs, I got in by nagging, nagging, nagging, more nagging and general all round irritation of management until they finally gave me a job to shut me up. Hasn't worked yet, I still bitch and moan but now it's about little things like leave, salary and per diem allowances. Hey, I guess I can live with those.

Wireless
19th Jul 2002, 18:22
4G

I am not looking to become a cowboy Pilot. It is simply a matter that I will not be able to afford an IR for many many years, so rather than not flying commercially at all, for a long time I was simply asking wether it is still possible to find work that doesn't require an IR such as Crops spraying or work in the Delta.

I would like to think that I do not have the same attitude as a 17 year old wannabe with no licence and no staying power in aviation who wants it all now. I have spent years doing really mundane jobs such as factory work just to save scrape my hours together and I am looking for anyway to start in aviation as time is dragging on. The IR can wait 4 years if it isn't definately needed. Anyway, my old instructors didn't have IRs and I thought they were professional. Mind you I had nothing to compare them against:D

I do appreciate you all taking the time to help me out with this question.

Bill

4granted
21st Jul 2002, 07:05
Wireless
I dont mean to preach the " Mr Professional" thing here:
I would say that you gota get flying asap, aggreed. However be prepared to come up against the competion who have IRs and questions like: Why dont you have an IR?
In SA I dont think you can even get a CPL with out an IR, but I stand to be corrected on that.
I still believe the extra couple of months grafting in the factory to get the IR would be the better option.
Good luck anyway
hb4g

AMEX
21st Jul 2002, 14:02
I see your point Wireless and from the money point of view the I/R is a very relevant one.
Although I never flew or used my instrument rating in Bots, I do not recall any of my fellow pilot without one. That is not to say you need one to get a job there but only to state a fact, now a few years old (I am not hundred years old though!!!).
Mind yo, if you had asked me if you need a 727 rating to fly one in some parts of Africa, I would defintely have answered: Errr....a Type what ?!?!?. So there we go mate, Africa is a land of opportunities for all of us who are ready to give it a good go. No I/R won't make the job hunt easier but there is always a possibility somewhere. As an indication though, the least they (your future employer) require the more challenging the type of flying is likely to be.
Personally I had a go at dodgy ops (not in Bots by the way) and I came to the conclusion that Thanks but no Thanks.

a2(96),tf(02):cool: :cool:

Kiwi Flyer
21st Jul 2002, 14:49
Just a couple of points from someone whos been flying in bots for 4 years now:

You dont need an IR, lots of guys here flying without them, even a few of the Chief pilots.

I dont think it is even considered when your looking for a job here, its not really about your CV, its about wether your going to fit in. that said different companies have different ideas about hireing there pilots.

Like its been said before, but you pretty much just have to pitch up to get a job, best time DEC-MAR.

Anyway, good luck on your job search

KF