PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want some A350s?

MacSheikh
3rd May 2017, 04:21
American again defers A350 deliveries; first pushed back to 2020 | Airframes content from ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/airframes/american-again-defers-a350-deliveries-first-pushed-back-2020)

glofish
3rd May 2017, 04:52
I guess EK would jump on the 22 350-occasion ...... if only the 350/380 were MFF, not only CCQ.
The 787 option seems more viable, as the 77W/77X and 787 will effectively be MFF, an enormous cost saver. But getting just 2 is a little thin.
However, what to do with the whales that have to be deferred instead? Airbus would most probably lend a better hand into any kind of deal....
Difficult, but i agree, the occasion is right here!

Octane
3rd May 2017, 06:43
Will Airbus get penalty payments, or would there be a clause in the original contract?

JNPS
3rd May 2017, 14:20
12 380's parked at the hangar line this morning! ��

J.L.Seagull
3rd May 2017, 16:06
It's always amusing to read of a little EK bashing, but let's not make up "alternative facts" right now.

Everything at the hangars are either under maintenance, or in a pre/post maintenance queue. I know because I worked there. I still have my closest friends working there.

If you really think the fleet is underutilized, it's quite simple. Just go through the tech log, and check the date and airframe hours at which the last "A" check or "C" check was performed, and calculate an average daily utilization up to the most recent flight.

This is like calling the earth flat just because it looks like it from your window.

donpizmeov
3rd May 2017, 16:45
JLS, our Boeing fellas are still a bit in denial that the 380s keep showing up.
6 380s, have been deferred from this year to next. Deliveries next year remain the same, as 6 have been delayed to the following year. The third year deliveries are up by 6. This helps smooth out the Airbus 380 production / delivery slow down.

JNPS
3rd May 2017, 17:23
A little touchy are we? Just an observation. On the other hand, high utilization = a few hours from hangar to the line. There's no way this is the case here.

lospilotos
3rd May 2017, 17:30
Everything at the hangars are either under maintenance, or in a pre/post maintenance queue. I know because I worked there. I still have my closest friends working there.

Or one can check in the airplane movement system (Apollo) that most of them are doing flights.

However, if there are 12 380s in pre/post maintenance queue, why is there only one 777? After all, the 777 is a bigger fleet. Just a coincidence?

White Knight
4th May 2017, 04:55

There aren't enough 380 contact gates at the terminals; when the morning rush dies down they get towed over to the gates for the next wave of departures! Don't delude yourself that they are not being used!!!

glofish
4th May 2017, 05:23
Everything at the hangars are either under maintenance, or in a pre/post maintenance queue. I know because I worked there.

Bullocks. If you really worked there, you'd know that there's only so much workplace and manpower, but never for that many airframes at a time.
There are airframes parked and more whales than JDs.
It makes sense, because the window of feasable operation is smaller with whales, but still there are more coming than JDs, who by the way operate outside of theirs as well. The smaller the airframe, the less punishing it is though.

Parking airframes is costly and silly and means managment failure, as simple as that.
We could use less biggies and more tinies. The available 350s would be welcome, however need a seperate fleet, that takes time. 787s could be operated almost instantly in MFF. The fastest solution however would be to integrate FlyDubai's 737. Airframes and crew are here! Deploying smaller equipment will not incite resistence from other countries. The paint job should not take longer than putting oversized grey elephants on oversized white ones, or painting ugly roses on workhorses! But that would only help in conjunction to terminally defer whale deliveries.
It's funny that the same people criticise the overstaffing in the bouncy casle as a profit-problem for EK, when it comes to the oversize of the whale fleet hampering profits, they retreat into their pilot shell and say 'who cares, i'm paid to fly and whatever is under my belt, i don't care'.

The intake of the now available 350s will most probably not happen, just as the FD fleet will continue to unecessarily double serve EK destinations. Too ingrained the management is in the local thick viscosity as to be able to react to changed crcumstances.

Monarch Man
4th May 2017, 06:23
I tend to agree with Don on this, there are still plenty of whales to come but likewise the older girls will be out the door as soon as they can do it.
The good news on the Boeing side is that the whale is now picking up one or two crappier destinations, it's also clear to me that a smaller airframe in terms of 737's will most likely be intergrated in the near future...there's been enough hints from the boss and STC.
Can't see any 350's or 787s on the horizon unless they swap some 777x orders for 787's. All that being said the company needs to up its game to respect and retain experienced staff and also get it through their idiotic brains that happy staff treat customers that much better.

CaptainChipotle
4th May 2017, 06:45
However, if there are 12 380s in pre/post maintenance queue, why is there only one 777? After all, the 777 is a bigger fleet. Just a coincidence?

Or the tractor is more reliable, higher dispatch ratio, and less hassle?

fliion
4th May 2017, 08:25
Making authoritative calls on an aircraft utilization by what one sees during their taxi out 'window' without the statistical facts - is suspect.

Link below is quite good, looks like the utilization rate on the 380 is around 13.38h per day, respectable in relation to industry norms.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1361741

donpizmeov
4th May 2017, 08:26
Monarch, history here proves the 380 will continue find less desirable places to go. And 380 rosters will only get worse. Has happened to every fleet.

fliion
4th May 2017, 08:43
I tend to agree with Don on this, there are still plenty of whales to come but likewise the older girls will be out the door as soon as they can do it.
The good news on the Boeing side is that the whale is now picking up one or two crappier destinations, it's also clear to me that a smaller airframe in terms of 737's will most likely be intergrated in the near future...there's been enough hints from the boss and STC.
Can't see any 350's or 787s on the horizon unless they swap some 777x orders for 787's. All that being said the company needs to up its game to respect and retain experienced staff and also get it through their idiotic brains that happy staff treat customers that much better.

MM

The latest from the rumor mill is that post merger - FZs order for 75 MAX's will become a 78/Max mix & that 350's replace some 380's on the EK side.

Don't shoot the messenger - it's a rumor site! (I doubt we would do two medium heavy types)

The air show this year could be a bit different.

None above matters though - pay us what's due.

High Energy
4th May 2017, 12:24
flydubai's 75 B737 MAX 8 order and 25 options are eventually all owned by the same company/person. As is everything is Dubai. Behind the scenes EK can already change the breakdown and type to whatever suits them. Look at Westjet recently. 10 B789's for 15 MAX 8's with deliveries already in 2019. Or keep the MAX but get some MAX 10's for routes where runway performance is not too critical but you need seats due low yields. Rumor has it flydubai already has options on 787's as part of the initial MAX order. Wishfull thinking or truth?

With flydubai now having WiFi, Live TV and shortly full flat beds in the new MAX cabin it is not too far fatched to just apply a different color on the outside and be done with it. But then there is ego, pride and common sense too...and we know how that works in this region.

By changing the arrival/departure banks timings and perhaps the number of waves slightly it should be possible to create more slots in DXB as you can get rid of many overlapping flights/routes, make more effective use of airspace and use the right aircraft for the demand. Like everyone else in the ME is doing. But wot do we know.

The Turtle
4th May 2017, 12:33
so true!!

how many inta-gulf flights carry @100 pax

deploy those WB's on $$$ flights and let the 737's do the TA's

littlejet
4th May 2017, 13:16
With flydubai now having WiFi, Live TV and shortly full flat beds in the new MAX cabin it is not too far fatched to just apply a different color on the outside and be done with it. But then there is ego, pride and common sense too...and we know how that works in this region.

Have you ever flown and used their wifi or live tv there? It is appalling. I use it regularly, two thirds of the screens are frozen, and the frustration from the pax behind you is projected directly into your brain when they try to activate the touchscreen by tapping it aggressively throughout the flight

Internet is poor to non existent and costs 20USD!

They need to completely strip that airplane and refurbish it from the green coating up.

And to be frank there are FD/CC guys/girls who did not make the cut at EK and took the job there. How would you integrate them into the system which once deemed them unsuitable?

Calmcavok
4th May 2017, 13:57
As far as I understand 737s aren't compatible with ULDs. How would that work with the fancy baggage system in T3 and the new MCT60? I reckon on A321s, but who the f knows?!

Crashlanding
4th May 2017, 14:11
FZ wifi, coverage is poor at best.

The IFE supplier went bankrupt many many months ago so most aircraft are carrying a silly amount of screens not working with no replacement possible.

It's a low cost airline, no way they are getting fully reclining seats unless the seat is broken 😉

High Energy
4th May 2017, 14:46
Have you ever flown and used their wifi or live tv there? It is appalling. I use it regularly, two thirds of the screens are frozen, and the frustration from the pax behind you is projected directly into your brain when they try to activate the touchscreen by tapping it aggressively throughout the flight

Internet is poor to non existent and costs 20USD!

They need to completely strip that airplane and refurbish it from the green coating up.

And to be frank there are FD/CC guys/girls who did not make the cut at EK and took the job there. How would you integrate them into the system which once deemed them unsuitable?

Very true. But IF there is any EK takeover surely they'll do it properly because the brand/product has to be consistent. For now we can use the 'looks good on paper' product.

Not sure how to handle to crew integration. That's way above my paygrade.

donpizmeov
4th May 2017, 17:41
Rumour says those FOs at EK under 32 or 35 (fleet dependent) will get a chance at Dec at fly Dubai. At least they get to the left hand seat.

Emma Royds
4th May 2017, 21:58
Rumour says those FOs at EK under 32 or 35 (fleet dependent) will get a chance at Dec at fly Dubai. At least they get to the left hand seat.

For those that had a command prior to joining EK, wouldn't this be a step back in terms of career progression?

dubaigong
5th May 2017, 00:31
At least they will get back to the left seat... And if later on are allowed to get back to EK on the left seat , I don't think so

Land Hopper
6th May 2017, 05:31
Calmcavok,

The T3 baggage system doesn't care about what the aircraft type that operates a sector is. Bags for any given flight are allocated a specified build-up carousel and that's where they fall after leaving the main part of the system. From here they are scanned and loaded in to ULD's or if a bulk operated aircraft, a mail trolley.

Calmcavok
6th May 2017, 05:57
Good info, thanks. I'd imagined that baggage would be directed to a specific ULD or set of. Would bulk loading not be a lot more time consuming?

crewmeal
6th May 2017, 05:58
Maybe the Trump administration has had a word with Doug Parker and suggested he change the order to Boeing and now AA are trying to sort out the financial penalties.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/boeing-debuts-787-10-dreamliner-trump-celebrates-rollout/

Land Hopper
6th May 2017, 10:20
Unfortunately DXB has not progressed as far as automated loading in terms of robots for bags to bins as of yet. Actually this is quite an expensive undertaking and considering the labor costs here does not make sense. Not only that but the dynamics of baggage that pass through in terms of shape, does not really allow for this anyway as we encounter all weird shapes, especially through Asia.

As for the bags being directed, they will head to the specified carousel where the ULD's are lined up alongside thereof. The bags have to have their associated tags scanned and linked to the specific ULD (which is how the guys know where to find it when the pax goes walkabouts).

In terms of speed, it doesn't really matter whether they go into a ULD or mail trolley. If anything, a mail trolley is slightly quicker to load as you don't have to worry about fitting the piece within the unit itself as they will just be removed at the aircraft side anyway.

troff
6th May 2017, 11:34
There are 12 380's parked outside (what's inside?) every morning.

SILENT_BADGER
12th May 2017, 19:50
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/delta-defers-10-a350s-orders-30-more-a321s-437134/