PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Crash Toowoomba March 2017

Hasherucf
1st Apr 2017, 04:17
Another one claimed by bad weather ?

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/helicopter-crashes-near-toowoomba-school/3161220/

runway16
1st Apr 2017, 04:37
Could not see the video clip for all the adverts.

malabo
1st Apr 2017, 05:44
This is a professional pilot group, bad weather is never the cause of an accident. It can be a related factor that exacerbates inherent or latent weaknesses, but it is never the cause. Bad weather as a cause is a myth perpetuated by an ignorant and sensationalist media, and parroted by non-professionals believing the tripe spooned to them by the media.

AnFI
1st Apr 2017, 07:04
malabo
+1.0

mickjoebill
1st Apr 2017, 13:21
A little colour to the story

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1297026217000016&id=209825109053471&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F7jOpG0dX1b&_rdr

Mickjoebill

1st Apr 2017, 15:33
AnFi - welcome back. And, no I'm not taking the p*ss.

We may not see eye to eye on some matters but your experience and knowledge is valuable to this forum.:ok:

Hot and Hi
1st Apr 2017, 16:42
What aircraft type is it?

Bell_ringer
1st Apr 2017, 17:54
Looks like an enstrom

GoodGrief
1st Apr 2017, 18:21
Looks like a 350 to me.
What a cool customer...Drives his heli into the ground and goes home to his wife pouting.:E

mickjoebill
2nd Apr 2017, 01:04
Looks like a 350 to me.
What a cool customer...Drives his heli into the ground and goes home to his wife pouting.:E

Just what he needed, he bends his helicopter then gets dragged away from the sports channel by 1st responders!

Mickjoebill

Scamp Damp
2nd Apr 2017, 04:37
I heard the rego was KCE?

POBJOY
2nd Apr 2017, 08:33
I am a very weather orientated fw pilot and have just come back from Queensland (last week)
There is a huge difference in weather changes in Aus especially in what I would describe as 'running squalls'
The change from NSD (nice sunny day) to extreme is very quick and also far more extreme than in the UK. The % wind/gust change is very high and the rain (comes down in 'rods') and causes immediate local flooding.
The size of the cells make it difficult to exit if you were in the average light aircraft and would have to be given a very wide berth of several miles.
Ok this can also happen in the UK, but the size, strength ,and power of this weather in Australia is as they say 'awesome',and to be avoided.

Vertical Freedom
2nd Apr 2017, 08:54
Weather flying is for the serious professionals ONLY!!! :rolleyes:

Try flying in the Himalayas where winds can swing around in any & every direction from 0 to 60knots any day everyday, massive updrafts & downdrafts, varying visibility from infinitely to just a few metres within a few minutes. Plus ultra high DA & elevations :hmm:

Don't respect the weather it'll kill faster than any game of Russian roulette :eek:

If Your think Ozz is a challenge for weather flying, cheeezuz please don't come to the Himalayas as this Mountain weather will surely kill You. Think ahead, plan ahead; get it on the ground early & go have a beer or two, rather than delaying & ending up with a bend machine, worse still end up dead :mad:

The 350 in this prang looks to me like poor weather decision making, or worse still no decision making at all till it was way too late :\

Never gamble with poor weather, don't second guess, if Your not sure then your in the wrong place already. I'm just saying (my opinion) :ooh:

Happy Landings :ok:

Georg1na
2nd Apr 2017, 08:57
Spot on VF - chicken out early...............

POBJOY
2nd Apr 2017, 12:35
VF Mountain operations are in a class of their own, and as alluded too can see violent changes that actually are well outside of the capability of most aircraft not having the 'design strength' to cope. However the main factor in any aviation activity is the DECISION FACTOR OF WHETHER TO FLY OR NOT.
This is relevant for any type of aviation activity and any location.
In the commercial world there will be a set of operational limits laid down and indeed 'flight planning' for diversions (for any reason) is one such guideline that frequently gets less attention than deserved with operators trying to 'interpret' rules to suit the commercial requirement.
Aircraft in general are reliable and capable however the weather (wherever you are) is the most destructive of elements and affects all sizes of aircraft.
In the past few weeks there have been two serious incidents with rotary aircraft in the UK and Ireland. The common factor in both was the local weather factor at the time, and I suspect is still the real main cause of serious incidents. Because we choose to operate in this 'uncertain' environment we have to be extra careful to RESPECT ITS POWER.

havick
2nd Apr 2017, 20:50
Weather flying is for the serious professionals ONLY!!! :rolleyes:

Try flying in the Himalayas where winds can swing around in any & every direction from 0 to 60knots any day everyday, massive updrafts & downdrafts, varying visibility from infinitely to just a few metres within a few minutes. Plus ultra high DA & elevations :hmm:

Don't respect the weather it'll kill faster than any game of Russian roulette :eek:

If Your think Ozz is a challenge for weather flying, cheeezuz please don't come to the Himalayas as this Mountain weather will surely kill You. Think ahead, plan ahead; get it on the ground early & go have a beer or two, rather than delaying & ending up with a bend machine, worse still end up dead :mad:

The 350 in this prang looks to me like poor weather decision making, or worse still no decision making at all till it was way too late :\

Never gamble with poor weather, don't second guess, if Your not sure then your in the wrong place already. I'm just saying (my opinion) :ooh:

Happy Landings :ok:

Where can I post you a medal?

2nd Apr 2017, 21:19
Where can I post you a medal? No need - just look at some of his photos and you will realise VF can walk the walk, not just talk the talk:ok:

Vertical Freedom
3rd Apr 2017, 03:35
Hey Havik....awesome thanks kindly for the medal, please send to PO Box 12292 Kathmandu, Nepal :ok:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/rotors99/rotors99005/IMG_7437.jpg

megan
3rd Apr 2017, 05:59
If Your think Ozz is a challenge for weather flying, cheeezuz please don't come to the Himalayas as this Mountain weather will surely kill YouTaught myself mountain flying in the Tasmania part of Ozz VF. The mountains are no where near as big as yours, but the weather was just as bad, you name it, Tasmania had it. Located in the Roaring Forties and the wind last saw land in Africa.

By the way, you do deserve a medal, because you're nuts (said in the nicest possible way :p) for doing what you do. Couldn't get out of Tasmania quick enough - too many of the nine lives spent. Admiration VF. :ok:

helonorth
3rd Apr 2017, 06:45
Who had the job of naming places in Australia?

Vertical Freedom
3rd Apr 2017, 07:25
Hi Megan.........I hear You & believe Tasweejia is quite unique & ****e for weather :eek: Thank You kindly :ok:

John Eacott
3rd Apr 2017, 07:28
Who had the job of naming places in Australia?

Funny you should ask: Guidelines for the Consistent Use of Place Names (http://www.icsm.gov.au/cgna/consistent_place_names_guidelines.pdf)

:p

heliduck
3rd Apr 2017, 16:36
I've been living & flying in Tassie for years, it's not that bad! We had at least 3 days of summer this season.