PDA

View Full Version : What does "ICUS Day" stand for?

HeloSammy
31st Mar 2017, 14:53
I'm completing the online registry for HNZ and it ask for hours of ICUS Day and Night. Can Anyone please tell me what it means?

helicrazi
31st Mar 2017, 14:54
Usually PICUS pilot in command under supervision

HeloSammy
31st Mar 2017, 15:03
So I guess that means as 'acting PIC'? Do pilots actually keep track of that?

helicrazi
31st Mar 2017, 15:05
So I guess that means as 'acting PIC'? Do pilots actually keep track of that?

Depending what and where you fly, but yes i think most do! Especially multi crew p2's hour building for p1

HeloSammy
31st Mar 2017, 15:39
Thanks. I may need to find a good accountant.

malabo
31st Mar 2017, 15:42
In Command Under Supervision is recognized as PIC time by both customers and licensing authority, sometimes to a maximum amount or percentage. Think about all those cadet programs where you go from an R22 license directly to an S92 copilot. 5 years later how do you get the PIC time to qualify for an ATPL or meet oil company minimums for captain? (P)ICUS is the only option. No value for single-pilot bush work, but driving the bus on the railroad track to an offshore platform and back on the same base for 20 years it can be made to work.

Most companies have formal guidelines on how to "qualify" a particular flight for PICUS (commander qualification, briefing, copilot experience level, CP letter on file etc.). However when applying outside your previous company I doubt if any "credible" number you put down would or could ever be challenged.

albatross
31st Mar 2017, 18:00
"ICUS" sounds like a weather forecast term..."How's the WX?" "THe forecast is calling for ICUS after 12Z!" "Good gawd, ICUS! Cancel the flight and get the AC back in the hangar!" LOL.

rudestuff
31st Mar 2017, 18:43
I read a post a while back where a guy claimed to have something like 2400 hours pic/us!

helicrazi
31st Mar 2017, 18:46
I read a post a while back where a guy claimed to have something like 2400 hours pic/us!

Why is that questionable?

Fareastdriver
31st Mar 2017, 18:50
In the companies I used to work for to claim P1 u/s you had to be approved and sit in the commander's seat before you could count the time. There was a grey area as to whether the supervisor had to be a line training captain or have a supervising role but I used to bung them in the RHS and sign up the time anyway.

I don't think anybody queried it.

hueyracer
31st Mar 2017, 20:31
ICUS is nothing someone can log whenever he feels like it-there must be a company-approved and written program for it, telling when and how each pilot can log "ICUS" time.

It is usually also limited to something between 50-100 hours...

Ascend Charlie
31st Mar 2017, 22:05
"ICUS DAY" is similar to Groundhog Day, every day you fly the same route in the same aircraft and do the same things, and at 6am the next morning you are still a Co-Pilot.