PDA

View Full Version : EK Australian recruitment roadshow.

Icarus2001
25th Mar 2017, 10:53
Time to fish in the antipodean pond again and see what bites...

Roadshows and Pilot information sessions | Explore our Careers | Emirates Group Careers Centre (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/careers_overview/pilot_jobs/roadshows.aspx)

Brisbane, Sydney and Perth. Followed by Auckland and Christchurch.

Icarus2001
8th Apr 2017, 09:23
The fact that my post attracted no replies in two weeks is informative I think.

Just spoke with a friend who attended a presentation. Around 12 people including him, at least 50% were over fifty, some closer to sixty. The presenters "announced" the new freighter contract but were careful not to call it a commuting contract. They said it will be on the web by Monday. He detected an air of frustration from the presentation team with management as they simply cannot find enough crew but continue to add routes. They acknowledged that "the guys" are working hard and flying too much, well above the 84 hour target.

Has anyone else attended and got any feedback?

Icarus2001
10th Apr 2017, 04:30
Straight from the camels mouth...

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/system/images/Emirates-Pilots-%20Pay-Benefit-Grid-Layout-V7.pdf

DHM 24,935 per month salary, which is AUD$9074 per month or AUD$109,000 pa.

Incredible, considering current wages for FOs in Australia. Forget adding the housing allowance because you will spend it anyway.

LongLats
10th Apr 2017, 05:53
DHM 24,935 per month salary, which is AUD$9074 per month or AUD$109,000 pa.

If you attempted to "commute" on this contract, you would still be an Australian resident for tax purposes too. After tax, you'd be clearing about the same as a Dash 8 pilot when you include their usual allowances. This is also far less than an FO on the A320 for Australia's LCC.

What a bogus offer. It's like they didn't even try.

Icarus2001
10th Apr 2017, 06:19
That is a good point. Either commute to somewhere cheap and pleasant to live (SE Asia?) or sit in your cheap (haha) room eating noodles for 13 days.

JAARule
10th Apr 2017, 06:26
Trawling for pilots in Aus... TCK must be turning in his grave!

halas
10th Apr 2017, 20:52
He's dead?

halas

Icarus2001
22nd Apr 2017, 08:30
I have not heard much positive feedback from the handful of people I have spoken to who went to one of the presentations.

I would be interested to hear from someone who was tempted by the roadshow to apply.

Arewegettingjets
23rd Apr 2017, 04:39
I have not heard much positive feedback from the handful of people I have spoken to who went to one of the presentations.

I would be interested to hear from someone who was tempted by the roadshow to apply.

I went, applied, went to Dubai, got an offer and am now weighing it up.

donpizmeov
23rd Apr 2017, 05:02
Better off waiting for the link to get jets.

Arewegettingjets
23rd Apr 2017, 05:08
Better off waiting for the link to get jets.

Good call. That boat sailed when Cobham got the 717 contract for another 10 years.
Pretty similar output at link to EK TBH. Q400 crew typically do 85h per month with 8 days off.
Major difference is Link has a solid EBA and mutual respect between union and mgmt. This is a major reason why I'm still weighing it up.

Still Don why do you stay if things are as dire as many make them out to be?

Avid Aviator
23rd Apr 2017, 05:50
"Golden handcuffs"!!

MacSheikh
23rd Apr 2017, 07:52
Golden handcuffs is definitely one reason. You'll also find that most guys in the left seat are more "stabilised" with family etc.

If you come here as an FO, we now have the age limits for upgrade plus a reduction of expansion (as opposed to a contraction) with a net gain of, I think, 1 or 2 a/c this year which could mean a glut of FOs waiting to upgrade in the future.

Until recently, the management seemed to be trying to be more reasonable in disciplinary terms but that is a variable and you have no union to argue your case.

It's not all bad but you need to very carefully weigh the pros and cons. The golden days of expansion are past, we are in an "adjustment" phase and that doesn't usually mean good things for any workforce.

Personally, for those who chose to come, I now see EK as a career transit airline rather than the end game that it was when I joined. How the mighty can fall.

donpizmeov
23rd Apr 2017, 10:51
Getting jets,
A fair question. I have been in the left seat here for a good chunk of change over a decade. Not even China offers the salary I am on at the moment.
So like all of aviation your luck and timing makes a huge difference between a good job and an average one.
Commands when I joined were happening within 18mths for some. Fellas upgrading now have been in the company 5yrs. Time for a new joiners is going to be much longer than that as the fleet is almost at the 260 aircraft they keep talking of. Most Boeing deliveries now are replacing aircraft retiring. This starts on the 380 in a few years.
Mainline may be as boring as bat****e, but it would be a better option now.

parabellum
24th Apr 2017, 00:00
Interesting to see the road show didn't list Melbourne, friends in the training business are flat out, predominantly with self funded endorsements from experienced pilots as well as some P2F.

puff m'call
25th Apr 2017, 07:12
How would you read that ad?

PILOTS

Locations.........turns out to be recruitment places!!!

fatbus
25th Apr 2017, 10:10
It's called "desperate times call for desperate measures"

sluggums
25th Apr 2017, 14:48
What a croc the second paragraph is. Absolute spin...

Icarus2001
26th Apr 2017, 07:33
So the question to ask is how many DUTY HOURS per month?