PDA

View Full Version : For low altitude to commence approach in IFR

twinbird
20th Mar 2017, 02:58
In IFR flight, upon reaching IAF with preceding trfc exsisting and can't get a descend clearance by IAF. In this case we need to hold over IAF to descend to the ALT wchich we can commence safe (not too deep) APCH.

I wonder which phrase is the appropriate one to request to ATC controller.

I use as follows, " request hold over ××(designator of IAF) to lose alttitude". I'm not a english native speaker and want to use a natural expression as possible in ATC.

Thanks in advance.

DOUBLE BOGEY
20th Mar 2017, 05:32
Twin bird, if you are under "Radar Control Service", ATC should position you to commence the approach at an appropriate altitude.

If you are flying procedurally, and not in receipt of a Radar Service, you would position yourself.

If what you described happened to you, the simple answer is to request a descent to a nominated altitude and you do not need to give the reason as it should be obvious to ATC. So just "Radar this is (callsign), request descent to altitude xxxx feet".

If, you are subsequently cleared for the ILS, and you are above the glideslope, you have no option but to go-around and reposition. I would suggest under such circumstances ATC would be at fault and you should have been requesting a descent in accordance with the procedure.

Finally, unless a hold is prescribed at the IAF on the approach plate, holding and descending at the IAF would be irregular and likely to chaos chaos is a busy ATC environment.

tottigol
20th Mar 2017, 15:35
DB, this guy is asking about Japan's airspace.
It may differ somehow.

DOUBLE BOGEY
20th Mar 2017, 19:51
Tottigol, most ICAO contracting states do it the same way with minor differences posted in the AIP. Otherwise there would be complete chaos as the big jets nip around the globe. Pansops etc.

I would think the guidance I gave him would be relevant but maybe he will come back with some feedback.

twinbird
20th Mar 2017, 21:05
DB, this is the thing when we approach to non radar airport and fly procedurally. It's easy for pressurized aircraft to descent deeply with big rate of descent but I'm on non-pressurized A/C and cannot descent that deeper.
Of course holding pattern is published at IAF and we request hold and cleared to hold there. I think It would be bettter off adding the reason after " request hold" to improve situational awareness for both pilot and controller.

EDML
25th Mar 2017, 16:40
Jets get even more problems with steep decents before commencing an approach due to the energy state of the A/C.