PDA

View Full Version : BCPL - JAR CPL

MJR
13th Feb 2002, 15:29
Having read the relevant AIC regarding converting a BCPL with all the necessary ratings to a JAR CPL(R), I don't actually know what the process is to do this. Has anyone done this? can you please tell me the method of carrying this out so I don't have to spend 3 hours on hold trying to get through to the CAA.

PS How much does it cost to get the night restriction removed off a FI(R) rating

cheers

. .MJR

Quarternion.
13th Feb 2002, 17:57
Its quite simple.

Did mine straight after they announced the changes as opposed to joining the rat race of throwing money at hour building to get a CAA CPL or ATPL. After all what's the point of having an ATPL when you just fly C150s !!! You will still end up with a JAR licence at the end of the day.

5 dual hours training on a complex type aircraft like an arrow. Then a simple general handling flight test - nothing difficult but to CPL standard.

You will need a CPL examiner (But not necessarily theough the CAA). They charge 150 pounds as a test fee.

For night instructor - 1 hour dual training at night and I think 5 hours ground school -> maybe slightly more.

Regards

MJR
13th Feb 2002, 18:17
I appreciated most of that thanks, I was just wondering what the process was to actually convert the BCPL to JAR CPL i.e what form, how much etc.

cheers

Ja
13th Feb 2002, 19:54
The route to the JAR CPL from the CAA BCPL is basically two stages. Stage one - achieve all you need to upgrade to the CAA CPL (700 hours TT etc.). Stage two - achieve all you need to convert the CAA CPL to the JAR CPL. There is no need to have the CAA CPL issued first and no rush to do this before end June. See <a href="http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_policyupdate.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_policyupdate.pdf</a>

MJR
13th Feb 2002, 20:17
Yes I know all this and I believe I have got all the requirements I just want to know how to get the piece of paper with JAR CPL(R) written on it.

Quarternion.
14th Feb 2002, 00:45
You need to get a JAR CPL application form, fill it in with your breakdown of hours. Send it to the CAA with logbook and flight test certificate.

Don't forget to pay the usual extortion fee (I think its 170 pounds) for a new licence (thats on top of what you paid for your BCPL) - shout aloud "Rip me off again", and the CAA return to you another blue folder with the front cover saying JAA instead of CAA.

If you can't get through on the phone, try emailing FCLWEB, the last reply I got (last month) took 20 days !!! Good Luck.

Here in the states you turn up, get your licence issued straight away and you don't pay at all. Funny old world isn't it?