PDA

View Full Version : FMS training devices or books sought

jackalope
10th Jul 2002, 02:06
I have heard from more than a few friends going onto jet courses that the biggest problem is learning how to program the FMS...was wondering if there was any info on the net in the form of downloadable software that would let a guy play with some of the features of a typical FMS?

If not, how about some software available out there, or at least a book that would point out the basics?

Any info helpful!

Cornish Jack
10th Jul 2002, 08:33
A single-person-affordable program for the computer is the Aerowinx PS1. http://www.aerowinx.com . (This may infringe Danny's advertising rules but I don't know of any other way of passing on the information.) It's 747-400 specific and comes with a rather better handbook than Mr Boeing's own version :)

QAVION
10th Jul 2002, 09:40
I think it's important to pick the appropriate software for the aircraft you wish to fly. Learning to use one type may confuse you if you are training for a different aircraft type. Aerowinx's sim is suitable for 747-400's and possibly 777's. A reasonable FMC simulator for 767's and 757's can be found in the Microsoft Flight simulator (2000/2002) add-on "PIC 767". With both sims, you get a complete aircraft and manuals, not just an FMC.

There are forums for both sims which may help you decide which sim is more suitable. If you already have a computer, it's important to determine whether on not it will run this simulation software.

Regarding books... The FMC "bible" is Bill Bulfer's "Big Boeing FMC Users Guide" (applicable to all Boeings, highly detailed and full of useful tips). However, it is heavy reading and really requires a freeplay simulator such as those mentioned above to help you absorb what you are reading.

Rgds.
Q.

Bally Heck
10th Jul 2002, 16:57
Try This! (ftp://ftp.wilcopub.com/767_FMC.pdf)

flch10000
11th Jul 2002, 12:48
can somebody email me that pdf to: [email protected]
(girlfriends e-mail has 10mb capacity!) !

It's just that I can't download anything on the corporate PC (desktop locked!)
Cheers!

Frank M
11th Jul 2002, 21:14
FLCH,

just mailed it to your girlfriend.

Good Luck !

regor
12th Jul 2002, 11:04
I have a hard copy of 'A Basic Guide to FMC' by Tim Berry. This is based on the B737-300 FMS, and gives an excellent overview of all the functions accessible through the CDU.

If anybody wants a photocopy of this, e-mail your address to me and I'll send you a copy for free! What a nice chap I am.

R.