PDA

View Full Version : Tornado farewell to Lossie

FleurDeLys
16th Mar 2017, 10:49
I hear XV(R) are taking a formation round some NE Scotland landmarks tomorrow to mark last day of Tornado operations at Lossiemouth. Does anyone know itinerary/timings?

Speedywheels
16th Mar 2017, 13:01
Itinerary
To mark the end of this period in the Station’s history Tornados from XV(Reserve) Squadron will carry out a final formal sortie that will include flying by Aberdeen and Leuchars airfields and Tain Air Weapons Range. These sites have all been instrumental in the training of aircrew at RAF Lossiemouth to operate the Tornado. The aircraft will return to RAF Lossiemouth in the early afternoon to carry out a series of flypasts over the Station.

Timing - sorry, I don't have those details

bluetail
16th Mar 2017, 13:03
There is a NOTAM out for Lossie for an Airfield Attack between 1300 & 1345. To be repeated on the 31st.

If rumour control is correct XV will put up 6 jets

downsizer
16th Mar 2017, 14:28
If rumour control is correct XV will put up 6 jets

Have they got 18 spares to get those 6 up?

fallmonk
17th Mar 2017, 08:48
Was lucky enough to catch one low and loud over Edinburgh airport .Wednesday at 13.00 ish I wonder if this was anything to do with it ?
Cheered my day up

5 Forward 6 Back
17th Mar 2017, 09:23
As an ex-Lossie GR4 guy, I popped on to the station's website to see if there was any sort of announcement about it, to see if I could catch some flying at the right times.

The "latest news" was the Lossie raft race in August 2016, and absolutely no mention of this anywhere.

Twitter to the rescue; lots of comments about it being that last flight of XV(R), but again not a lot of details.

ANGRYBEARD
17th Mar 2017, 09:52
Finally after a life time of wanting to be near them, I move an hour away and they leave....
Will head through this afternoon and see what's going on.
Thanks for the heads up.

glad rag
17th Mar 2017, 10:32
Ruskies must be laughing their ******* socks off, let alone ISIS..

wvkvpF_10m4

Red Line Entry
17th Mar 2017, 14:27
What, that a 40 year old aircraft type is slowly being retired and its place being taken by a more recent design?

Or that, after years of decline, the UK Defence budget is to rise in real terms?

Have you seen what's happened to the Russian Defence budget?

gr4techie
17th Mar 2017, 14:36
Glad Rag. The Marham Sqns are still very busy.

Timelord
17th Mar 2017, 16:15
Very nice five ship vic fly past, airfield attack and 67 wing echelon break at Lossiemouth in dodgy weather. Farewell XV and good luck one and all.

ANGRYBEARD
17th Mar 2017, 18:30
Nice to see a bit of formation flying by a combat type, at the South end of the runway where I was there must have been a hundred odd cars. Shall miss them screeching through the hills. Hopefully the Marham ones visit occasionally.

6foottanker
18th Mar 2017, 07:47
Didn't come tanking though. Lame.

Buster15
18th Mar 2017, 13:06
It is a mistake to confuse age with capability. By that, would America retire F16, F15, F18, B52 and A10. Of course not as they all provide vital capabilities. And of course the Russians will be pleased Tornado is soon to be retired. It was they that it was designed to counter. Its replacement may be newer and much more modern but does it have the same capabilities. Still not yet operating Brimstone or Stormshadow. Tornado has been on operationAl deployment for over 27 years non stop and take a look at the Mod website for what it is still doing.

99 Change Hands
18th Mar 2017, 17:55
A grand yet sad day at RAF Lossiemouth ? FighterControl ? Home to the Military Aviation Enthusiast (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=143511)

OffshoreSLF
18th Mar 2017, 22:18
A Couple of short video clips here -
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/moray/1198227/video-fond-farewell-tornado-jets-take-off-raf-lossiemouth-final-time/

Buster15
20th Mar 2017, 14:05
I remember some time ago when tornado was first deployed to Lossiemouth to replace the buccaneer and I recall that the aircrew were very complimentary about the buccaneer and loved flying it. I wondered if any current or past tornado aircrew had any interesting comments about flying the GR4.

yellowtriumph
20th Mar 2017, 15:54
Please don't jump on me! What will happen to the jets stationed there? Will they be distributed to other bases? Kept for spares? Scrapped?

Green Flash
20th Mar 2017, 19:43
All flyable airframes and all the spares will go to Marham, all the u/s ones will go to museums/Cosford(some have already been trucked out)/gate guards and whats left will probably end up in the Lossie retirement home for Distressed Flying Machines - Williamsons yard.
Given that the first Joint Warrior isn't far away it will free up a bit more space on the pan. Oh, and three RNAS Merlins have taken up residence at Lossie too.

drustsonoferp
23rd Mar 2017, 07:48
It must be time for a new garage to be opened in Elgin, with suitable Tornado forecourt guardian.

Rossian
23rd Mar 2017, 15:39
......I don't think that the Tornado Taxi firm in Elgin have got enough space outside their office for it. Nice idea though.

The Ancient Mariner

SpazSinbad
24th Mar 2017, 11:58
The Last Tornado Student By Flight Lt. Nathan Shawyer 22 Mar 2017

The Last Tornado Student | SLDInfo (http://www.sldinfo.com/the-last-tornado-student/)

Pontius Navigator
2nd Apr 2017, 12:14
Bump. .