PDA

View Full Version : THY

soakingpilot
15th Mar 2017, 22:30
Anyone current or old have general information on Turkish ( THY ) . I know there are issues in the country but I also have my reasons for wanting to go there.

Currently there seems to be a hiring freeze. When that opens up? Mins? Treatment towards yabangees? I also have a driving record from 2001... instant de-qualification?

thanks

Bosphorus
15th Mar 2017, 23:31
Anyone current or old have general information on Turkish ( THY ) . I know there are issues in the country but I also have my reasons for wanting to go there.

Currently there seems to be a hiring freeze. When that opens up? Mins? Treatment towards yabangees? I also have a driving record from 2001... instant de-qualification?

thanks

Treatment towards yabangees? LOL :)))
Seems that you have not really visited Turkey.:))
Regarding THY; they have just declared some tens of million dollars loss for the last year, recently. Also No raise for the wages for the present year.
Not the right time to work for THY. More than 10 aircrafts grounded, and most of the pilots are like a cat on hot bricks.
But i am sure that it will change with the opening of the new, third airport in the city. The main problem is the capacity of the Atatürk Airport.

Yarra
16th Mar 2017, 03:37
Regarding THY; they have just declared some tens of million dollars loss for the last year, recently. Also No raise for the wages for the present year.
Not the right time to work for THY. More than 10 aircrafts grounded, and most of the pilots are like a cat on hot bricks.
But i am sure that it will change with the opening of the new, third airport in the city. The main problem is the capacity of the Atatürk Airport.

Make that a Billion Dollars..

psychomantic
16th Mar 2017, 08:43
Make that a Billion Dollars..

Do you have a link?

psychomantic
16th Mar 2017, 08:45

Not true: raise of 1.5% + 1.5% this year

PapaEchoIndia
16th Mar 2017, 10:48
At the moment hiring F/Os with Turkish ID for the 737 fleet, 20 people will be hired.

gearlever
16th Mar 2017, 13:39
I'm afraid currently no need for foreign pilots, oranges and cows.
:ouch:

soakingpilot
16th Mar 2017, 13:52
so no more foreign pilots ever?

Kapitanleutnant
16th Mar 2017, 14:07
Psychomantic is correct... 1.5% plus 1.5% 6 months later for 2017.

Yes, we are losing money but it's all in how the accounting is done to say we've actually lost "billions". The official tally was a loss of 77 million which I think may be an underestimate... but simply not sure.

I had lunch with one of the recruiters from the last big hiring we did. He mentioned that we will be a little short for the planned summer season and will be looking to hire starting in September for this year.... his words.

For you EK guys:

* Far, far superior quality of life and much less flying
* Less money though (Paid in Lira) and your overhead is higher as well
* People are much nicer and helpful here than I found at EK. (My perspective)
* It's more a commuting contract... e.g., great for Europeans but doable for all
* Equivalent of an ALT each month to anywhere...even not on the route system
* Widebody DEC's get about $750/month for housing (in IST only)
**** NO FATIGUE ****
**** NO ALL NIGHT TURNS ****
Flying about 65-70 hours/mo (Over 70 is overtime). 3 to 4 trips per month - 2 ULR type and one or two short or turn trips.

To reiterate... this is a job for those looking for a Quality of lifestyle change... you won't get as rich here.

My 2 cents

Kap

soakingpilot
16th Mar 2017, 15:52
sounds perfect for me...... so foreigners are back on in sept? mins ?

Flyboy_SG
17th Mar 2017, 10:04
But looking at the terrorist threats, TK doesn't seem like an ideal place to live.

soakingpilot
17th Mar 2017, 12:39
Like I said I have my own reasons for going to THY and the terrorism is not a concern in terms of working for them....

gearlever
17th Mar 2017, 13:57
Good luck, but be careful....
https://www.austrianwings.info/2017/03/wiener-turkish-airlines-mitarbeiter-aus-politischen-gruenden-gekuendigt/

basically it says:

- fired after 20 yrs with THY, accused to have "stopped" a THY plane and to have "put stress on pilots". 17 out of 22 employes were "exchanged" within the last years at VIE.

TBSC
17th Mar 2017, 21:42
Like I said I have my own reasons for going to THY and the terrorism is not a concern in terms of working for them....
One would assume that a bit of a mortar fire at an Istanbul airport is a concern for the employees as well.

soakingpilot
19th Mar 2017, 13:49
right right.. like i said living in turkey is not a concern so back on topic please.

Avenger
19th Mar 2017, 17:00
THY were planning to scale down the pilot numbers, seems they have done a deal with the unions to keep the numbers but miss out on the 3 monthly bonus in lieu of a fixed pay rise over 2 years. Many A330 grounded, moat AJ ops done by or planned to be done by SXS, generally -ve on the hiring front. Driving record for say speeding would not be considered too much, on the other hand a " criminal prosecution" for say drinking a driving may be.

soakingpilot
19th Mar 2017, 17:33
THY were planning to scale down the pilot numbers, seems they have done a deal with the unions to keep the numbers but miss out on the 3 monthly bonus in lieu of a fixed pay rise over 2 years. Many A330 grounded, moat AJ ops done by or planned to be done by SXS, generally -ve on the hiring front. Driving record for say speeding would not be considered too much, on the other hand a " criminal prosecution" for say drinking a driving may be.

Thanks, thoughts on whether or not to put it on the application when the window opens up if it opens up? i want too but yeah ya know... FAK