PDA

View Full Version : Instruments of Darkness

polecat2
15th Mar 2017, 20:59
I thought some of you would like to know that Alfred Price's "Instruments of Darkness" is available again.
It's been published in a revised and updated edition by Frontline Books and is available in paperback at £19.99 from the usual sources.

Polecat

radar101
15th Mar 2017, 22:07
How updated?

Pontius Navigator
15th Mar 2017, 22:28
radar on that site it just says 1939-45 so don't expect it to be up to current period

polecat2
15th Mar 2017, 23:00
The book is sub-titled "The History of Electronic Warfare 1939-1945" so it just covers that period. Just thumbing through the book, which I received today, there are chapters on the 8th AF's use of radar, and also it's use in the Pacific war. I cannot remember if these were covered in the original (1967) edition.

Polecat

India Four Two
16th Mar 2017, 07:43
A very good book.

It should be read in conjunction with RV Jones' "Most Secret War".

Evalu8ter
16th Mar 2017, 08:00
A most worthy tome. For those looking for a slightly more modern slant, I heartily suggest you visit the AOC website and order a copy of Price's "History of US Electronic Warfare" Vol 3 which covers the 1964-2000 period. Mario De Arcangelis' book "Electronic Warfare" is available cheaply and covers some of the non-US EW campaigns (especially the Israeli wars and Op CORPORATE) and is very readable....

radar101
16th Mar 2017, 08:22
Polecat2: The book is sub-titled "The History of Electronic Warfare 1939-1945"

The original was subtitled "The History of Electronic Warfare" and went up to Vietnam. does this revised and added edition open the way for him to produce a second volume?

Hm!

Shackman
16th Mar 2017, 09:18
Another book that is frequently overlooked is 'Glidepath' by Arthur C Clarke (of SF fame). It's a slightly fictionalised account of the development of radar for GCA during the war, in which he was deeply involved.

Heathrow Harry
16th Mar 2017, 14:32
The tile is of course from Macbeth - Banuos warning re witches etc (and workstations and IPhones, EXCEL spreadsheets, code breaking and experts....)

But ’tis strange. And oftentimes, to win us to our harm,
The instruments of darkness tell us truths,
Win us with honest trifles, to betray ’s
In deepest consequence.

polecat2
16th Mar 2017, 15:29
does this revised and added edition open the way for him to produce a second volume?

Hm!
I couldn't really say. I know the author has written several books but don't know if he's still writing.

Polecat

oldboffin
16th Mar 2017, 22:06
There are 3 Editions of Instruments of Darkness
1st ed 1967
2nd ed 1977 - includes chapters on cold war and vietnam
3rd ed 2005 - Completely revised. No cold war or vietnam chapters. New chapter on WWII pacific.
He also wrote "War in the Fourth Dimension" 2001 which covers US involvement from Vietnam to Kosovo

David Thompson
16th Mar 2017, 22:39
I couldn't really say. I know the author has written several books but don't know if he's still writing.

Sadly passed away in January , some details here ;
Price Alfred It is with great sorrow that the family would like to announce the death of Alfred Price on 29th January 2017. Alfred (Freddie) lived in Bayley Close, Uppingham for over 40 years. Freddie, and his wife Jane, moved to Uppingham when he was stationed at RAF Cottesmore and they stayed when he left the RAF to become a successful Author Historian. - See more at: Alfred Price Obituary - Stamford, Lincolnshire | Stamford Mercury (http://announcements.johnstonpress.co.uk/obituaries/stamfordmercury-uk/obituary.aspx?n=alfred-price&pid=184093191#sthash.MSjb5AET.dpuf)

polecat2
16th Mar 2017, 22:55
Sadly passed away in January

Sorry to hear that. I was stationed at Cottesmore at the same time as he was, but as a techie on the other Canberra squadron. Alfred Price was an Air Electronics Officer on 360 Sqn, as befitted his area of expertise.

Polecat

Pontius Navigator
17th Mar 2017, 18:32
One day, as Alf made his way in to the Ops block he recognised this chap in the back of a car parked close to the door and gave him a welcoming wave.

The AOC waved back :)

Lovely chap.

radar101
17th Mar 2017, 18:48
Some 10-15 years ago I used to give talks to local aviation societies and IEE branches on Radar and/or EW.

I turned up to give my EW one to the Uppingham District Aviation Society only to find Alfred Price on the front row.

Since a reasonable amount of my EW talk used information (and diagrams) from his books I was a bit twitchy - but afterwards he complimented me. Phew!

A gentleman. RIP