PDA

View Full Version : EK crew transport.

falconeasydriver
15th Mar 2017, 18:58
Just heard via the jungle drums that a fellow aviator is in a not so good way after suffering a calamity on the drive home a night or two back. Im long gone hence the post, anyone know any more? wishing the unfortunate passenger(s) a speedy recovery.
Know the risks potential new joiners, driving in the UAE is still a bloodsport!

harry the cod
15th Mar 2017, 19:38
Accident occurred on SZR around 4am, hit a Police car and rolled. Perhaps the specific details of injuries should be confidential from a public forum and with respect to the thread starter, discussed on the EK dedicated forum.

As an aside, 4200+ pilots going to & from work on average 12 times a month. That's around 50,000 journeys per month or 600,000 a year. Statistically, there is bound to be one or two accidents a year and would not be unique to Dubai. I personally know of several cabin crew who tragically died in road accidents in the UK, driving themselves home after long night duties. One was decapitated as the car went under a lorry. Insurance Companies normally place a premium on policies involving flight and cabin crew as they're well aware of the tiredness we face after work.

I know this Company monitor drivers quite closely regarding working hours, breaks etc but no amount of rest can prevent tiredness and errors in the early hours. Ironically, 4am is THE most dangerous time for alertness as the core body temperature is at it's lowest. Next time matey asks you to turn up the heat as he's feeling cold, look at the clock. Between 3am and 5am.....always!

Whilst blessed with some of the best quality roads in the World, they are unfortunately inversely related to the idiots that pervade them! It is, without doubt, the biggest threat that we and our families have to face on a daily basis in what would otherwise be a very safe City

Wishing both driver and occupant a speedy recovery.

Harry

Rainman7
16th Mar 2017, 03:14
Oh, I am certain that Ek uses the same "fatigue analysis" for their drivers that they use with their pilots.....hoping for a quick recovery for these 2.

ruserious
16th Mar 2017, 06:19
Jeez Harry, you are not all wrong, but could you make it sound a little bit less like a broadcast from the bouncy castle.

Trader
16th Mar 2017, 08:05
Unfortunately Harry that is not quite correct. Just ask any driver and they will tell you that they have tightened the timings and they have no time for food, breaks or the toilet.

They have also reduced the vehicle count from 115 to 100. Hardly conducive to safer conditions.

fatbus
16th Mar 2017, 08:14
Trader , give it a rest!

5star
16th Mar 2017, 12:37
I agree with ruserious....Hi reply reads like a comm. from the BC.

The Outlaw
16th Mar 2017, 13:53
Judging from many of Harry's posts, one can be easily lead to believe that he is part of, or wishes for a cubicle at the castle.

ruserious
16th Mar 2017, 17:26
Judging from many of Harry's posts, one can be easily lead to believe that he is part of, or wishes for a cubicle at the castle.
I wouldn't put him in that basket, he does have some good insights sometimes and tries to take a balanced view, personally I think he adds value to the forum. It's just this last one makes him sound like he has been drinking too often at the Costa Kool-Aid fountain

The Outlaw
16th Mar 2017, 17:49
RU,

I do agree. There are times when I think he is on the mark but others when I wonder what universe he calls home.

What I do think is that for the many of us that have spent more than 12 years in this amusement ride, we wonder where all the common sense and simple humanity has gone with regard to this company. Although I agree that this gig still may be a utopia for some, personally I don't feel the same way. I don't dispute the right for some to defend or accept the treatment that we get from this management, i just don't agree or accept it.

It is frustrating to see the unnecessary downward trend in terms and conditions that have been a part of this culture for about the last 10 years. Yes...I know I should just leave because I don't like it. However that sentiment, as stupid as it is, does not explain the immense ignorance of those in power given that many of us gave up so much based on false promises to be a part of the great lie

I can assure you that that ignorance on my part shan't happen twice!

The Outlaw
16th Mar 2017, 17:57
PS...

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet:

AIRBUS is far better than boeing!

Discuss.....

Don't forget to use those well thought out terms such as "tractor" and "dugong".

Trader
16th Mar 2017, 18:15
Fatbus-- give what a rest? I simply stated what I have been told by drivers. So it is not all rosy. I agree the stats are good. But they are squeezing the drivers now as well.

TangoUniform
16th Mar 2017, 19:00
I have noticed in the last few months the amount of times I have had to tell a driver to slow down, back off the car in front of him as he is flashing his lights. The quality of drivers has deteriorated IMHO.

LHR Rain
16th Mar 2017, 19:22
Great post Outlaw! You know the company is in a death spiral when even the Canadians are leaving. 3 just this month and that's unprecedented for them.
Don't worry Trader, Fatbus thinks this Airline is still good and will do anything to discredit any post to the contrary.
This airline and its defenders are so sad.
Waiting for the above mentioned posters to reply with "if I don't like it leave" comments.

keepitrealok
17th Mar 2017, 03:56
The quality of drivers has deteriorated IMHO.

Agreed.

But it is merely the most visual or symbolic representation to pilots of the quality that has deteriorated right across the airline.

thatwasclose
17th Mar 2017, 04:35
Simple ,
Ask your driver if the new times that they work is better or worse and if they really get all the rest the company claims . Ask a
Couple . That should solve the question .
And Harry , why are you always so well informed ?

Trader
17th Mar 2017, 04:46
I don't think the quality of the drivers has declined as much as they are being pushed. I've asked a few about the sudden propensity to speed and they always say it's because their next pickup will be late.

I think they are the doing the best the can.

I also find it interesting that in a recent company correspondence that it is mentioned to inform fleet if there are any driver issues. Reading between the lines - large increase in complaints but fleet unable to effect much change since it's a different department.

Dropping 15 cars isn't going to help.

White Knight
17th Mar 2017, 04:48
The quality of drivers has deteriorated IMHO.

It's always been bad; I had one fall asleep on me heading down SZ Road very early one morning - must have been at least ten years ago!

Edited to add 'on me' not in the literal sense...

5star
17th Mar 2017, 05:06
And according to the same drivers, we are getting rid of the volvos and going back to audi/bmw.
I think most drivers are pretty good for Dubai standards. The odd thing is they're not allowed to use the cruise control ... The motion sickness one gets when some of them try to imitate cruise control with on/off the throttle...
but again... i have no real complaints... it is what it is, and it will never be perfect.

ruserious
17th Mar 2017, 07:49
Outlaw, yes of course Airbus is better ;)

I have no doubt the drivers are having the last drops of juice squeezed out of them, just like us. It is the management philosophy these days, send lots of emails and talk lots about safety, but squeeeze that lemon until it is as desiccated as a factored ULR pilot.

Yes the cars are being changed to BMW's this has even been acknowledged by management, so they are probably trying to optimise things in the lead up to that.

Personally I would much rather drive to work, I honestly believe that regardless of fatigue I can drive more safely than how I am driven a lot of the time, I usually have much cleaner smelling socks too! If there was parking at the bouncy castle, I would be driving to work.

TransitCheck
17th Mar 2017, 20:04
That will all be solved with the new generation of crew transport. Take the fatigue...and the stench out of the vehicle.

Dubai plans flying taxis (http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/middleeast/gallery/flying-taxis-dubai/index.html)