PDA

View Full Version : Couple arrested over pregnancy

Metro man
9th Mar 2017, 08:27
Engaged couple arrested in Dubai after surprise pregnancy - 9news.com.au (http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/03/09/17/05/engaged-couple-arrested-in-dubai-after-surprise-pregnancy)

A South African man and his fiancée have spent almost two months behind bars in Dubai after authorities discovered the woman was pregnant.

Emlyn Culverwell‚ 29 from South Africa, and Iryna Nohai, 27 from the Ukraine were reportedly arrested in January 29 after they visited a doctor.

Ms Nohai was complaining of stomach cramps which were diagnosed to be the early stages of a pregnancy.

Before the couple could celebrate the doctor notified the authorities who arrested the pair for having sex before marriage.

Since their arrest Mr Culverwell's mother Linda and Ms Nohai's father Karl have been able to obtain little information about the fate of their children who are understood to be behind bars awaiting formal charges, News 24 reports.

Doctors are performing more tests on the 27-year-old to try and determine how long she has been sexually active.

"For heaven’s sake, how can they supposedly determine that?" Ms Culverwell said.

"I can imagine the hell she is going through. It must feel as if she is being raped by the authorities."

Times Live reports the couple appeared before a judge only once and were denied bail and state appointed legal representation.

The couple's parents said it feels like they are "hitting a brick wall" with the South African Government providing little help or advice other than to hire legal representation, the BBC reports.

Mr Culverwell's mother said she had contacted the Ukrainian embassy in hopes of granting the pair permission to be married in prison however the request was denied by a judge, Time Live reports.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd

TowerDog
9th Mar 2017, 08:36
Holy sh!t, I thought Dubai had come a bit lenger in evolution than Saudi Arabia..

MFALK
9th Mar 2017, 10:21
Serves as a good reminder and an eye opener to anyone who is planning to come over, to make sure they are up to date with at the least the basic workings of Sharia Law. I am not being facetious.

gearlever
9th Mar 2017, 10:40
Oh my God what a double moral standard.
Most of us know what those who install these laws are doing when out of UAE....

harry the cod
9th Mar 2017, 10:56
Gearlever

Not even outside the UAE.

A casual visit to the Regal Plaza in Bur Dubai, York International and many other hotels in Dubai will reveal many a male engaged in amorous conversations with Eastern European ladies, Thursday's being the busiest I hear.

Of course, they're probably just using the opportunity to improve their Russian. What else could they possibly be doing?

Harry

SMT Member
9th Mar 2017, 11:08
Read some place, that Dubai is host to 25.000 nightfighters at any given time, and that those of Moroccan descent command the highest tariffs.

Been quite a few years since I paid a brief visit to The Cyclone; never before or since have I witnessed a meat market of such scale and diversity.

Wasn't there also something about the main source of revenue for Kish Air, flying young ladies to and from the island every 30 days to renew their visa?

gearlever
9th Mar 2017, 11:08
Harry,

thx for your update. Haven't been there for years and not missing it to be honest.
Cheers

Mach.888
9th Mar 2017, 11:56
Shocking to hear that this nonsense are still going on.

motley flight crue
9th Mar 2017, 12:09
They should realise when you live in a utopia of such high moral standings that this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. The locals are outraged!!!!!

Jack D
9th Mar 2017, 12:54
Not to mention the Doc passing on confidential patient medical details , if that is indeed what happened .

Plane and simple
9th Mar 2017, 13:44
Oh here comes all the anti-moslem crap again.

I despise the people who live in the U.K. and campaign for sharia law.

It's no different for westerners who move to an Arab country, pocket the Dirham then complain about the laws of the land.

If you live in Dubai you get sharia law.

ExDubai
9th Mar 2017, 14:17
Gearlever

Not even outside the UAE.

A casual visit to the Regal Plaza in Bur Dubai, York International and many other hotels in Dubai will reveal many a male engaged in amorous conversations with Eastern European ladies, Thursday's being the busiest I hear.

Of course, they're probably just using the opportunity to improve their Russian. What else could they possibly be doing?

Harry
There is a reason why Saudis call it "sin city"

Edit: It seems it happend in Abu Dhabi.

harry the cod
9th Mar 2017, 14:37
Plane and simple

Nobody here is knocking Sharia law. It's the hypocrisy that leaves a bad taste and seems somewhat unfair that a couple living together, trying to get medical assistance, are then banged up when there's plenty of other illegal 'banging' going on elsewhere.

If you're going to enforce a rule, do it regardless of nationality and apply it consistently across the board. Plane and simple!

Harry

gardenshed
9th Mar 2017, 14:41
Except they don't even follow their own rules.

motley flight crue
9th Mar 2017, 17:19
Plain and simple, your name is the most appropriate on pprune. UAE hipocracy

Plane and simple
9th Mar 2017, 17:58
Except they don't even follow their own rules.

So what? What's it got to do with you?
I break my own country's laws all the time. Don't you?

I don't understand why us westerners take their money and live in their country then slag off their laws.

DirtyProp
9th Mar 2017, 19:08
I don't understand why us westerners take their money and live in their country then slag off their laws.
Sure, why complain about some medieval law?
After all, when they come to Europe they never complain regarding our laws and traditions, right? They respect all of them all the time.

Emma Royds
9th Mar 2017, 21:42
Such as driving through Knightsbridge. :}

LongLats
9th Mar 2017, 21:55
Just to clarify. This happened in Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. The posted article from 9 News is written by an 18 year old 'online journalist' who skipped too many geography classes last year when he was in school.

VijayMallya
10th Mar 2017, 21:39
They are out of jail...

Consol
10th Mar 2017, 22:21
Nobody here is knocking Sharia law.

I am. It's the 21st century. Any laws that allows chopping off heads, limbs, stoning adulterers (or those unlucky rape victim women who don't happen to have three witnesses to support them), flogging or any other barbaric treatment of human beings is plain wrong.

The Islamic world is desperately in need of reform.

GMC1500
11th Mar 2017, 01:35
We all knew the rules before we came in, and if we didn't, we certainly did within a short time. The guy was here for 5 years, he should have known better.
Buddy of mine got a british fa preggers about 7 years ago. She went home to get an abortion. That's what you're supposed to do, or get married.
We can't change the laws of the sandbox.

hassamun
11th Mar 2017, 02:11
In Dubai I have met many expats who complain about the Laws of UAE. Its hypocritical to say the least because if they don't like the Laws then why do they stay here and earn good salaries. One of the most important reasons why we are here is because there arn't enough job opportunities in our countries of origin. We should be grateful to have an opportunity to work and provide for our families as there are millions of people all over the world who can't even earn a Dollar in a day...

People who do these kinds of things should grow up. Either they stay here and don't complain or they can try to find the same level of jobs in their own countries...

Below article gives an insight into UAE's Law.

Defining Sharia's role in the UAE's legal foundation | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/defining-sharias-role-in-the-uaes-legal-foundation)

Lantern10
11th Mar 2017, 03:57
The Islamic world is desperately in need of reform.

I pray I live to see the day when that happens.

Officer Kite
11th Mar 2017, 04:13
stoning adulterers (or those unlucky rape victim women who don't happen to have three witnesses to support them)

This ruling you imply is the case is actually not the case. You need to produce 4 witnesses who each claim to have witnessed a person (whether male or female, as many are unaware) commit unlawful sexual relations in order for them to be prosecuted under Shariah law.

Raped women are not punished under sharia law, maybe a few lunatics dishing out their own twisted judgment do, but it's not ordained. In that case the man (assuming the female is the victim) is liable for the punishment - 100 lashes minimum (likely more as he raped her too).

This is easily one of the most misinterpreted laws of the faith in existence.

BANANASBANANAS
11th Mar 2017, 15:02
In Dubai I have met many expats who complain about the Laws of UAE. Its hypocritical to say the least because if they don't like the Laws then why do they stay here and earn good salaries. One of the most important reasons why we are here is because there arn't enough job opportunities in our countries of origin. We should be grateful to have an opportunity to work and provide for our families as there are millions of people all over the world who can't even earn a Dollar in a day...

People who do these kinds of things should grow up. Either they stay here and don't complain or they can try to find the same level of jobs in their own countries...

Below article gives an insight into UAE's Law.

Defining Sharia's role in the UAE's legal foundation | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/defining-sharias-role-in-the-uaes-legal-foundation)

Fair point at first reading. However, what about the hypocisy of the nationals from these countries who come to live in our countries and then demand that our laws don't apply to them as they are bound only by sharia law.

Feather44
11th Mar 2017, 16:08
A doctor notified the authorities who arrested the couple (or not) for having sex before marriage. Sentence 2 months in jail

"I don't understand why us westerners take their money and live in their country then slag off their laws.
If you live in Dubai you get sharia law"

Ah ah, man you made my day!

Honestly, it's time for you to go back home......The sun is heating too much apparently!!

PDR1
11th Mar 2017, 17:08
Fair point at first reading. However, what about the hypocisy of the nationals from these countries who come to live in our countries and then demand that our laws don't apply to them as they are bound only by sharia law.

We say "if you don't like our laws then leave" in exactly the same way. There are stupid ME people who expect (mistakenly) that they can insist on shariah law in the west, and there are stupid westerners who expect (mistakenly) that they can insist on living by western laws in the ME.

The common factor here is the individual stupidity (found in both cultural groups) - not hypocrisy.

PDR

BANANASBANANAS
11th Mar 2017, 17:42
We say "if you don't like our laws then leave" in exactly the same way. There are stupid ME people who expect (mistakenly) that they can insist on shariah law in the west, and there are stupid westerners who expect (mistakenly) that they can insist on living by western laws in the ME.

The common factor here is the individual stupidity (found in both cultural groups) - not hypocrisy.

PDR
I am not sure I entirely agree with that - at least as far as UK goes. There are areas within UK where the police do not patrol and sharia patrols exist to keep control of areas which are exclusively muslim.
I blame UK leadership lack of moral fibre and running scared of the politically correct brigade. But, nonetheless, these areas do exist.

Brief example

https://youtu.be/b2nlIfn8tNA

DirtyProp
11th Mar 2017, 19:47
We say "if you don't like our laws then leave" in exactly the same way.
Oh, pleeaaaseee.....
The jungle of Calais rings any bell?

luvly jubbly
12th Mar 2017, 06:57
There are areas within UK where the police do not patrol and sharia patrols exist to keep control of areas which are exclusively muslim

Think you've been listening to too much Trump fake news mate.

These areas do not exist and never have.

The nearest we got to that was the Toxteth riots and the Broadwater Farm Estate in the 80s. And these are not moslem, but almost 100% Anglo Saxon English

Oh, and this couple who got arrested? If you're unmarried and sexually active in Dubai, you had better piss on a pregnancy test before going to your Doctor with tummy problems. Especially if your period is late.....

Deep and fast
12th Mar 2017, 10:38
I think you'll find those issues were afro Caribbean and black youths in those areas causing the unrest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwater_Farm_riot

As for this issue, it seems a little harsh even allowing for their religious beliefs. If they want to attract westerners to work and play, they need to maintain a more balanced and tolerant view of things. Otherwise you might as well go to Saudi.

luvly jubbly
12th Mar 2017, 10:51
I think you'll find those issues were afro Caribbean and black youths in those areas causing the unrest

Apologies D&F, you are correct. I was confusing them with the North Shirlds riots from the 90s.
My point is they are not moslem areas

There are zero no-go policing areas in Great Britain today. (I don't say U.K. as I'm not sure of the current state in Belfast)

Having had chats with several Emiratis, many believe the UAE laws now pander too much to expats, and some are quite upset at the things people of all faiths are getting away with in Dubai.
Some live in Sharjah because they feel more at home there.

It takes a long time for cultures to change. Look what's happened to Dubai in the last 40 years.
Sure, they invite the prestige and progress, but at what cost to their culture?

BANANASBANANAS
12th Mar 2017, 11:43
Think you've been listening to too much Trump fake news mate.

These areas do not exist and never have.

The nearest we got to that was the Toxteth riots and the Broadwater Farm Estate in the 80s. And these are not moslem, but almost 100% Anglo Saxon English

Oh, and this couple who got arrested? If you're unmarried and sexually active in Dubai, you had better piss on a pregnancy test before going to your Doctor with tummy problems. Especially if your period is late.....

Have you not been to Luton or Bradford recently? Not all of the towns, just areas within them.

Did you not look at the video link in which they openly say that they do not have to comply with UK law while living in UK?

luvly jubbly
12th Mar 2017, 12:06
Have you not been to Luton or Bradford recently? Not all of the towns, just areas within them

No. But the police have. I have WPC in immediate family.

And who cares what these few people think. If they are arrested and charged, they answer to the Law of England and Wales, or Scottish Law.

Just like this couple in this thread are being subjected to UAE Law.

BANANASBANANAS
12th Mar 2017, 18:11
No. But the police have. I have WPC in immediate family.

And who cares what these few people think. If they are arrested and charged, they answer to the Law of England and Wales, or Scottish Law.

Just like this couple in this thread are being subjected to UAE Law.

Interesting.

johnjonesnine
13th Mar 2017, 10:39
I am a priest of The Church of the Latter Day Dude:
Dudeism: The Church of the Latter-Day Dude (http://dudeism.com/)

For a small fee I would be happy to formally regularize this (and any other) irregular relationship.

luvly jubbly
13th Mar 2017, 11:40
I am a priest of The Church of the Latter Day Dude:
Dudeism: The Church of the Latter-Day Dude (http://dudeism.com/)

For a small fee I would be happy to formally regularize this (and any other) irregular relationship.

You're more likely to get stoned in public. And not in the way you like, dude!

johnjonesnine
13th Mar 2017, 11:59
White Russians only for me!

hassamun
14th Mar 2017, 08:33

Can't argue with you...The oath that immigrants take when they become nationals is not on Shariah Law, its on the Laws and the Constitution of the country. Shariah Law is mostly for Civil Disputes in the West...

US Oath:-
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test/naturalization-oath-allegiance-united-states-america