PDA

View Full Version : India Retires Last Maritime Bears

ORAC
8th Mar 2017, 13:50
After Viraat, Navy to bid adieu to Albatross patrol aircraft | India News - Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/after-viraat-navy-to-bid-adieu-to-albatross-patrol-aircraft/articleshow/57519906.cms)

NEW DELHI: Another iconic naval platform is now set for retirement after aircraft carrier INS Viraat. The Soviet-origin Tupolev-142M aircraft, which helped the force keep a hawk-eye on enemy warships and submarines in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) for almost 30 years, will be decommissioned later this month.

The world's largest and fastest turboprop aircraft, aptly named the 'Albatross,' the Navy had inducted eight TU-142Ms since 1988. "They were the backbone of our long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) and anti-submarine warfare operations. But only three are fully operational now. They will now be retired at the naval air station INS Rajali in Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu at a ceremony on March 29," said an officer.

The TU-142Ms are being replaced by the 12 Poseidon-8I long-range patrol aircraft- eight have already been inducted- acquired from the US for $3.2 billion. Packed with radars and armed with deadly Harpoon Block-II missiles, MK-54 lightweight torpedoes, rockets and depth charges to destroy enemy submarines, the Navy also operates the P-8Is from INS Rajali........

Rosevidney1
8th Mar 2017, 19:57
Hmmm. 8 Tu-142s need to be replaced by 12 Poseidon? There's progress for you!

ORAC
8th Mar 2017, 20:16
3 replaced by 12 - and far more capable. That's more like a quintuple rather than quadruple improvement in capability.

GlobalNav
8th Mar 2017, 20:51
I wonder what the cost comparison is between keeping the Tu-142 mission ready and the P-8? I also wonder about the relative mission capability Tu-142 vs P-8. I suspect India is dramatically increasing their mission capability with the P-8 over the their Tu-142 fleet, not simply replacing it.

sharpend
8th Mar 2017, 21:11
And don't forget who is paying for them!