PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter made in Tanzania

Spunk
6th Mar 2017, 16:47
Helicopter From Tanzania (http://www.wex.co.tz/?p=1879)

krypton_john
6th Mar 2017, 19:24
I'm sure they have plenty of money for this and that no school in Tanzania is short of books and no hospital is short of medicine....

HLCPTR
6th Mar 2017, 19:32
I love this part:

will be available to ordinary residents at affordable prices

to ease the country’s transport woes

<mental image of "The Birds">

Shudder! :ooh:

Flying Binghi
7th Mar 2017, 00:41
"...VW flat engine on board. The motors, manufactured by Volkswagen in Germany, are the same used to make the ‘Robinson’ helicopters..."

Ah! That would be the Nigerian involvement. Sourcing build parts..:E

Reefdog
7th Mar 2017, 01:52
OMG
They couldn't even get my licence done in 3 months
TIA,TIA

noflynomore
7th Mar 2017, 08:13
Two months from concept to completed fuselage with "VW" engine fitted? No way.

This looks more like an exercise in fiction-writing than anything else, little here makes any sense at all.

Is it a kit perhaps? Anyone recognise it?

Nige321
7th Mar 2017, 10:49
Looks better than the prototype...

VpXGWbH4FHY

Revolutionary
8th Mar 2017, 00:23
Ah, Tanzania and helicopters...

If you ever find yourself in the skies over Dar, there's a helipad on the roof of the Holiday Inn but don't land there! It was the brainchild of the hotel's owners and a brave chap from Everett actually landed a Dauphin there once as a kind of proof-of-concept. With the front wheel all the way forward of the pad, the rear wheels apparently cleared the rear edge by about 4 centimeters. Beyond the edge: a twenty-storey drop-off. To their credit, the Tanzanian CAA denied the hotel a license for their pad. So nevermind arriving by helicopter but do visit the rooftop bar if you can for sweeping views of the city and good food.

Tickle
8th Mar 2017, 00:45
Hope it's better than this one (video which came up after that one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKL6-VqjShg

onetrack
8th Mar 2017, 01:51
What is it about African aeronautical engineering that leaves one with a feeling that it's all lacking a little, in design and construction professionalism? :)

The interviews with constructors, pilots, and persons in authority, all appear to be about 20 times longer than actual, successful, flight trials!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGMc7RHwoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2ojuhTJ0Y

soggyboxers
8th Mar 2017, 10:08
Revolutionary,

Ah, Tanzania and helicopters...

If you ever find yourself in the skies over Dar, there's a helipad on the roof of the Holiday Inn but don't land there! It was the brainchild of the hotel's owners and a brave chap from Everett actually landed a Dauphin there once as a kind of proof-of-concept. With the front wheel all the way forward of the pad, the rear wheels apparently cleared the rear edge by about 4 centimeters. Beyond the edge: a twenty-storey drop-off. To their credit, the Tanzanian CAA denied the hotel a license for their pad. So nevermind arriving by helicopter but do visit the rooftop bar if you can for sweeping views of the city and good food.

What utter nonsense. It wasn't a brave chap who landed there. Everett have flown their Dauphin and BK117s there many times as it's a licensed helipad and well able to handle a Dauphin. I have personally landed there on numerous occasions in both the 365 and the 117.

The rooftop bar does have good views, but I have never found the food there to be particularly good.

Revolutionary
9th Mar 2017, 06:19
*Sigh* Ok. This was many years ago so admittedly the details may be fuzzy but this was the owner of the place who took me up to the rooftop to show me his helipad. It was a helipad alright but not built to anything approaching international standards. It might have fit a Dauphin with a few inches to spare but there wouldn't have been any room to disembark the passengers. As I recall, it was denied certification at that time. I think we might be talking different timeframes here, not that you stopped to ask me first before jumping in headlong with a stern rebuke. My god man, you even find fault with my characterization of the food. You insufferable know-it-all Limey ****.

Moderators, I am done with this forum. Please feel free to delete this post, my previous post and any and all previous posts by my hand. Also, please do de-register me as a member of this forum.

soggyboxers
9th Mar 2017, 10:26
*Sigh* Ok. This was many years ago so admittedly the details may be fuzzy but this was the owner of the place who took me up to the rooftop to show me his helipad. It was a helipad alright but not built to anything approaching international standards. It might have fit a Dauphin with a few inches to spare but there wouldn't have been any room to disembark the passengers. As I recall, it was denied certification at that time. I think we might be talking different timeframes here, not that you stopped to ask me first before jumping in headlong with a stern rebuke. My god man, you even find fault with my characterization of the food. You insufferable know-it-all Limey ****.

Moderators, I am done with this forum. Please feel free to delete this post, my previous post and any and all previous posts by my hand. Also, please do de-register me as a member of this forum.

Oh dear, Mr Revolutionary is touchy at being caught out spouting nonsense! Why should I ask you about the timeframe you were talking, when you just quote something as a fact?

I used to live in the Holiday Inn in 2013 and was also shown the helipad by the owner, though an Everett 365B2 Dauphin made the first landing there in 2010. It is available to view on You Tube. When I last assisted in offloading 6 passengers from a Dauphin on the roof, there was more than enough space for them and all their baggage and then to fit the blade tie-downs before leaving the helicopter parked there.

The pad is licensed as a private category aerodrome by the TCAA http://www.tcaa.go.tz/files/AIP%20SUP%20%2018%202012%20%20Private%20Category%20Licenced% 20Aerodromes.pdf as it complies fully with international standards.

You would do well to check your facts first before insulting others you don't know with derogatory remarks. I will not lower myself to your level.

DOUBLE BOGEY
9th Mar 2017, 13:54
Revolutionary. I know how you feel as I often want to smash my fist into the PC screen when I read some irritating post. However, don't lose it completely as there is more good than bad on PPRUNE and we are all guilty sometimes of upsetting each other.

Soggyboxers. You should be a little more gentle with some folk.

Fareastdriver
9th Mar 2017, 14:01
Unfortunately we are to old and too far away from each other to go to sort it out over a few cans in a bar.

DOUBLE BOGEY
9th Mar 2017, 14:34
Fareastdriver, it's probably because we are all A type extroverts who got bottle fed. We should all try to be a bit more like Topoftheworld man who has found Kama in the Himalayas!