PDA

View Full Version : A Walt in court...

Nige321
3rd Mar 2017, 19:01
Walt in court... (http://www.thecomet.net/news/can_do_cocksure_con_man_from_letchworth_narrowly_avoids_jail _after_flying_planes_without_training_or_licence_for_four_ye ars_in_echoes_of_leonardo_dicaprio_s_hollywood_fraudster_blo ckbuster_movie_catch_me_if_you_can_1_4916057)

http://www.thecomet.net/polopoly_fs/1.4916056.1488565228!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

Wesley Tierney, 25 of Letchworth, was given an eight month prison sentence suspended for 14 months after earlier pleading guilty to five charges – including three counts of acting as flight crew of an aircraft without holding an appropriate licence and two counts of forgery with attempt to deceive.

The court heard he was charged on three specific three flights but had flown ‘numerous occasions’ over the course of four years.

In a real life version with similarities to the hit Hollywood film Catch Me If You Can, a 2002 American biographical crime movie directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Leonardo Di Caprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walkern and Martin Sheen – based on the life of Frank Abagnale who posed as a Pan Am pilot – all in court listened intently to the incredible story.

It was heard Tierney flew planes from three RAF bases including Old Warden Aerodrome in Bedfordshire, as well as RAF Wittering and RAF Kirton for four years without a licence or training.

In 2008 Tierney joined a volunteer gliding squadron and obtained a military flying qualification.

However in 2010 as part of frequent checks and validations he claimed to hold a civil pilots licence.

His claim was accepted and he continued to claim he held the requisite licence which allowed him to fly civil registered aircraft – meaning that ‘on multiple occasions’ between August 2012 to August 2016 he flew airplanes completely unqualified.

Among the multiple flights on a number of different aircraft types he took over the course of the four year web of deceit he took his former partner and their four and five-year-old children into the air – along with family and friends and people ‘he wished to impress’.

He had no liability insurance cover – and if there had been a crash Recorder Sandeep Kanith told him ‘there was a substantial risk of harm which cannot be quantified.’

Judge Kanith who told prosecutor Alison Slater wryly Tierney’s case was an “interesting one”, added, “this is about competency and trust. He was never trained and never tested.

“You need requisite stamina and need to have been tested thoroughly. Flying a plane is not easy. I know because I have taken flying lessons myself. Flying an aeroplane is not an easy thing to do.”

Bespectacled, slightly-built and wiry Tierney, who represented himself, arrived in court wearing an expensive grey suit three piece suit holding an umbrella with a tortoiseshell crook handle.

He spoke in a loud, confident voice addressing the judge directly, attempting to explain why he flew on multiple occasions without a licence, saying: “I let my lies escalate. I let the situation get out of control.

“I was trying to fit in with others. I was trying to be able to fit into conversations.

“The only relief I have was the relief of finally being caught and having my cycle of lies broken. It was a relief not to have to pretend in the bar or the mess anymore.

“I was a can-do, cocksure individual – that was the person I was”, adding cryptically, “my guidance in my teens was a little misguided.”

The court heard Tierney now works in a London museum taking home £1,900 a month. He added: “Stability is not having a job you can brag about to people in a bar or in the mess.

“I’ve learned my lesson. I need to be punished.”

He involuntarily shrugged his shoulders when Judge Kanith asked him what he thought of the options of ‘immediate imprisonment’ or receiving a suspended sentence, replying in a well-spoken, confident voice “either of the punishments would be suitable but I feel I have already been sufficiently punished for what I have done.

“Being selfish I would like a suspended sentence.”

In summing up Judge Kanith told the court: “It is quite clear your offending took place over a number of years. You put lives at risk including your former partner. “But what puzzles me is this: You took very young children – aged four and five – into the air, knowing full well you did not hold the requisite qualification.

“Why take the risk?

“Why take the risk with young children who put their absolute trust in you?

“You simply cannot put peoples lives at risk.”

As the judge prepared to hand down his sentence Tierney gulped and his face flushed and he wobbled slightly as the judge told him: “I would not have blinked twice to send you to prison if you had not pleaded guilty.

“To fly a plane you need requisite stamina and training – which was not tested on you. You showed no concern for the welfare of your passengers including two young children.

“Thankfully you were duly caught from doing what you were doing – and the fact you have pleaded guilty means I am going to give you a suspended sentence.”

As the sentence was handed down Tierney nodded and exhaled in relief.

Tierney was given an eight month prison sentence suspended for 14 months. He was also ordered to pay £750 in costs and must undertake 140 hours of voluntary work.

MPN11
3rd Mar 2017, 19:19
Bloody Hell :mad:

SirToppamHat
3rd Mar 2017, 19:41
What sort of gliders did he fly and at which VGS?

NutLoose
3rd Mar 2017, 19:49
Well in a way, when training and doing your solos people are also flying without qualifications bar some of the ground school.

Herod
3rd Mar 2017, 20:13
Ok NutLoose, I'll bite. Don't agree. You don't get sent off solo until your instructor is satisfied that you are safe, and you do not take passengers until you have completed the course (military or civil) and are properly rated.

ACW599
3rd Mar 2017, 20:14
>What sort of gliders did he fly and at which VGS?<

If I remember rightly he was with one of the Syerston VGSs for a while and had some sort of minor staff post with ACCGS. There were various interesting rumours about why his services were no longer required...

Harley Quinn
3rd Mar 2017, 20:17
>
If I remember rightly he was with one of the Syerston VGSs for a while and had some sort of minor staff post with ACCGS. There were various interesting rumours about why his services were no longer required...

Oh go on, do tell why no one queried his qualifications, trustworthiness or integrity.

glad rag
3rd Mar 2017, 20:46
Two minds over this.

One, how on earth did he get away with it in the first place?
Secondly, he looks like a t**t in that picture. Everyone knows how you should wear a chip poke.

Well at least he never modelled a suicide vest....

ollie135
3rd Mar 2017, 21:15
Had my first cadet glider flight with this guy. Obviously it was all safe but I realise that's not the point, although I seem to recall him making a point about a Venture that he flew as well which I assume he was flying with said fake license?

MightyGem
3rd Mar 2017, 21:19
Hmm...a bit more than just a Walt I think.

planesandthings
3rd Mar 2017, 23:56
One article shows the fake CV with 1700 PIC hours and various types as well as a Flight Instructor Sailplanes (EASA).

The only legal flying evidence I can find is within the Air Cadets (Which haven't flown much anyway for some etime). I've certainly never heard of him within the BGA. Disgraceful case tarnishing the good work of everyone else in GA and the RAFVRT.

Bob Viking
4th Mar 2017, 06:56
Since he didn't crash can he now retrospectively be awarded a licence?!

BV;)

(In case my humour is too subtle for some on here that was a joke).

Bob Viking
4th Mar 2017, 07:00
While I'm thinking about it didn't the Royal Navy have an imposter who got quite far through FJ training a while back? Or was it just an urban myth?

We had a guy on my EFT ground school who went through IOT as an engineering officer candidate. When we saw him on ground school he told us he had successfully changed to pilot. It wasn't until the end of ground school when his name wasn't on the list for any of the EFT schools we all realised he had just been pulling a fast one. He had wanted to be a pilot throughout UAS but had failed the hearing tests. He was hoping the system wouldn't notice.

6 weeks of ground school and no flying at the end of it. I can think of few worse punishments.

BV

212man
4th Mar 2017, 08:22
between August 2012 to August 2016 he flew airplanes completely unqualified.
The reporter appears to be confused about which side of the Atlantic we are!

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 08:25
Don't forget that average VGS instructor gets a nose-bleed if they venture more than 10nm from the ATZ. They are taught to fly impeccable circuits and then pass that onto the Cadets. But their cross-country skills, R/T, knowledge of airspace and alike is not so good. That is why their flying time counts little towards the award of a PPL, unlike baby pilots that complete Elementary Flying Training (EFT) get effectively all of their flying time counted towards an NPPL.

What a plonker.

sharpend
4th Mar 2017, 08:41
Interesting that as I prepared to retire from the RAF, with a 'Excellent' flying assessment, flying VIPs, QFI etc etc, of the right age and with a valid medical, oh and 10,000 hrs of flying in fast jets, basic trainers etc etc, I was told I would have to go to HQ Air Cadets for full assessment. OK, one cannot be too careful, but in this case they system was not careful.

ian16th
4th Mar 2017, 10:25
I liked the umbrella with a tortoiseshell crook handle, a nice touch that.

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 13:15
Here is a picture of him in the story run in the Daily Mirror. Walting around in his BBMF Pilot t-shirt...and possibly a black flying suit underneath? :rolleyes:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9960553.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/PROD-Wesley-Tierney.jpg

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 13:21
In fact it gets worse in the Mirror. There is also a picture of him in a BBMF flying suit with Glider Pilots' Wings on it!!

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9960554.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PROD-Wesley-Tierney.jpg

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 13:24
Words fail me...:ugh:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9960552.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PROD-Wesley-Tierney.jpg

ShyTorque
4th Mar 2017, 13:26
At least, by all accounts, he has actually qualified to wear those wings.

As for the rest?

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
4th Mar 2017, 13:32
This comes as no surprise. What do you expect to happen when illustrious bodies dish out rewards for lying, whilst hard work and effort is ignored?

ShyTorque
4th Mar 2017, 13:36
I'm hoping to get my new astronaut wings any day now....

Either that or my wife might....most days we're a different planet.

iRaven
4th Mar 2017, 14:06
Rumours are that he is linked to some of the guys that flew the Hunter at North Weald. He was also doing FISO at the airfield as I understand without a licence. He must have been known to the Hunter and Gnat chief pilot as they would have been in the VGS organisation at the same time. Links to the Hunter accident at Shoreham and the Gnat at Car Fest. Just sayin'...

North Weald pilot who flew illegally for six years spared jail | Essex Live (http://www.essexlive.news/fake-pilot-from-letchworth-gc-who-illegally-took-to-the-skies-from-north-wield-airfield-spared-jail/story-30179317-detail/story.html)

iRaven

Flap Track 6
4th Mar 2017, 15:13
Hmmmm, MRAeS without also being EngTech, IEng or CEng. You dont see that very often ...

chevvron
4th Mar 2017, 15:33
At least, by all accounts, he has actually qualified to wear those wings.

As for the rest?
Well he should have been showing 'VRT' on his rank slides.

I met many 'walter' types when I was a VR(T) Officer. They bought themselves No 5s and attended mess functions as if they were 'regulars' and at things like airshows, would sometimes appear in their No 1 apparently having 'forgotten' to attach their 'VRT' badges.
OK we got commissioning parchments just like you guys in the 'real' air force, sometimes even with a genuine signature, but I definitely got the impression a [very] few were in it just to 'pretend' they were regular RAF Officers.

charliegolf
4th Mar 2017, 15:45
but I definitely got the impression a [very] few were in it just to 'pretend' they were regular RAF Officers.

Some people have no shame. At least he didn't go all the way and pretend to be a SNCO!

CG

MPN11
4th Mar 2017, 15:58
Some people have no shame. At least he didn't go all the way and pretend to be a SNCO!

CG
That's too difficult, even for a Walt ;)

Stuff
4th Mar 2017, 16:43
Well he should have been showing 'VRT' on his rank slides.

Are those really worn on flying suits? Seems like they would snag on the harness and present a loose article hazard.

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 17:38
Yeah, but he wasn't doing any flying as he was wearing the flying suit to man the BBMF stand as one of their volunteers. So technically there was no FOD hazard in his car!

GipsyMagpie
4th Mar 2017, 17:48
Hmmmm, MRAeS without also being EngTech, IEng or CEng. You dont see that very often ...
Don't need any of those to be MRAeS as aircrew. It's not the Aeronautical engineer society.

I wonder who let him fly their plane without doing a documents check? They were negligent surely? (However, forging an EASA licence and med certificate wouldnt be hard but would need a little dedication. )

Melchett01
4th Mar 2017, 17:49
Words fail me...:ugh:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9960552.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PROD-Wesley-Tierney.jpg

Well based on your extract / pic, I would have a couple of comments.

1. Wings on right side of chest? Maybe a reversed photo, but suspect not.

2 GCGI - The CGI Graduateship award via the RAF equates to 2 years substantive service as flt lt. What are the rules concerning VR(T) substantive rank? I was told a good while back that VR(T) ranks above fg off are acting; this could well be duff gen or old, so a genuine question here as to whether he is entitled to GCGI.

3. AMIntLM - doesn't exist. Associate Member of Institute of Leadership & Management is AMInstLM. At least try to get your CV right if you're going to make it up!

MPN11
4th Mar 2017, 17:57
Amateur :)

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

NutLoose
4th Mar 2017, 18:12
Ok NutLoose, I'll bite. Don't agree. You don't get sent off solo until your instructor is satisfied that you are safe, and you do not take passengers until you have completed the course (military or civil) and are properly rated.

Herod I totally agree with you, I was referring to

Wesley Tierney, 25 of Letchworth, was given an eight month prison sentence suspended for 14 months after earlier pleading guilty to five charges – including three counts of acting as flight crew of an aircraft without holding an appropriate licence

In that a pilot under instruction and hence flying on his solo would not hold a licence either, that would only be awarded when he qualified. the charge above does not mention accompanied, hence my comment.

It does however prove the theory, any muppet can fly an aircraft.. :E

MPN11
4th Mar 2017, 18:21
Ah, NutLoose, 'Flying' is easy, 'cos I did that. 'Operating' safely and efficiently, especially with pax, is another question.

chevvron
4th Mar 2017, 18:43
Are those really worn on flying suits? Seems like they would snag on the harness and present a loose article hazard.
VRT badges are available with the letters woven on a cloth backing; they're meant for No 5 and hence are a bit costly but all the guys at my VGS' wore them instead of the metal badges.

chevvron
4th Mar 2017, 18:45
2 GCGI - The CGI Graduateship award via the RAF equates to 2 years substantive service as flt lt. What are the rules concerning VR(T) substantive rank? I was told a good while back that VR(T) ranks above fg off are acting; this could well be duff gen or old, so a genuine question here as to whether he is entitled to GCGI.

A VRT Officer is only ever a substantive Fg Off, however when you leave you may (just may) be granted the privilege of using your last 'acting' rank as your title (apart from Gp Capts Vorderman and Foy; dunno what they will do) with the suffix 'Retd'. It's on the letter you receive from the personnel people notifying you of the termination of your commision.

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 18:59
Chevvron

There were 2x current (not Ret'd) RAFVR(T) Sqn Ldrs on the VGS at RAF Halton for a few years. Given your post, how was that done? Was one of them effectively 'Retired' although they would both turn out in uniform regularly?

LJ

UV
4th Mar 2017, 19:51
He was also doing FISO at the airfield as I understand without a licence.
iRaven
Not so, North Weald is Air Ground only and he presented an Air Ground Operators Certificate of Competence when he started.
Don't ask me where it came from....

tmmorris
4th Mar 2017, 20:00
LJ VRT officers can hold acting paid rank when filling an established post in a rank higher than their substantive - that's very common indeed - and currently also acting unpaid Flt Lt after 9 years (though that is likely to be abolished). When relinquishing such a post they are usually granted permission to continue to use their acting rank, now unpaid. Again there are moves to stop the latter practice.

So, an ATC Sqn commander is likely to be A/Flt Lt/Pd; VGS commander would be Sqn Ldr, etc. Probably what you encountered was the current boss and his predecessor; but the second Sqn Ldr could also be holding a post elsewhere (wing staff or CCF contingent commander).

Lima Juliet
4th Mar 2017, 20:53
Chevvron

Thanks for the info. :ok:

chevvron
5th Mar 2017, 05:45
LJ VRT officers can hold acting paid rank when filling an established post in a rank higher than their substantive - that's very common indeed - and currently also acting unpaid Flt Lt after 9 years (though that is likely to be abolished). When relinquishing such a post they are usually granted permission to continue to use their acting rank, now unpaid. Again there are moves to stop the latter practice.

So, an ATC Sqn commander is likely to be A/Flt Lt/Pd; VGS commander would be Sqn Ldr, etc. Probably what you encountered was the current boss and his predecessor; but the second Sqn Ldr could also be holding a post elsewhere (wing staff or CCF contingent commander).
The guy who replaced me as WGLO at 613 was a Sqdn Ldr WSO, so maybe it was him and the OC 613.
By the way, the highest acting VR(T) is normally Wg Cdr; Vorderman and Foy were given 'honorary' commisions as Gp Capts but I don't know how that fits in

ExRAFRadar
5th Mar 2017, 08:00
I was a 'Tornado Pilot' once at a party when stationed at Bentley.

Knew just enough BBB to talk my way into the company of some nice ladies, helped by an SAC mate who really had a cut glass accent (Think Monocled Mutineer)

Didn't seem to phase them that I was wearing glasses so thick you had to have bloody good eyesight to see through them.

Krystal n chips
5th Mar 2017, 08:48
" I met many 'walter' types when I was a VR(T) Officer. They bought themselves No 5s and attended mess functions as if they were 'regulars' and at things like airshows, would sometimes appear in their No 1 apparently having 'forgotten' to attach their 'VRT' badges

Not quite, but very closely aligned to the above, I recently knew a civilian, and he was a pure civilian, not VR or FTRS, who, when he was taxying aircraft, whilst there was a requirement to wear the full kit, minus LJ, would duly appear wearing....Flt.Lt rank tabs because he was the civilian equivalent and thus, to his ego, as he often explained, he was entitled to wear them. He also considered himself to be....the pilot.

He was challenged about this, but, duly ignored the relevancy of the question.

He was also a "walt" in the cockpit, operating the aircraft in a very aggressive manner, exceeding the power limitations, you always knew who was in the cockpit by the noise alone, as well as making histrionic gestures to those outside....the minor details of rpm and temps for example, plus any captions that may have appeared, being not so much disregarded, more simply not monitored.

Quite how the "when" not "if" accident never happened is something of a miracle really.

Thankfully, this manifestation of the ego has now ceased.

Lima Juliet
5th Mar 2017, 09:05
Tmmorris - my apologies, the 3 pints of Kingfisher meant that I had thought Chevvron had given the explanation!

Chevvron - no, not a WSO. There was an OC and and ex-OC on the squadron both wearing a VRT scraper. Not really interested in a 'witch hunt', it's just that your comments didn't accord with what I had seen. Anyway, all gone now.

NWFR01
5th Mar 2017, 09:51
More than a Walt - Full blooded con man

thunderbird7
5th Mar 2017, 10:57
[thread creep]reminds me of the Sunday morning SAR standby breakfast in the mess, recently 'demoted' Fg Off Sir P Hine sitting at our table, dull Nav2 comes and sits next to him, "so what do you do when youre not flying cadets then?"..."oh, I recently retired"...[/thread creep]

The B Word
5th Mar 2017, 11:23
I just read this on another forum:

Tierney still faces an upcoming trial by Essex Police for the alleged theft of aviation manuals, aircraft spares and historic memorabilia that were recovered by police from Tierneys lock up in May 2016.

POBJOY
5th Mar 2017, 19:46
Whats all the fuss about; he never seems to have claimed to have been a Staff Cadet so no harm done !!!!
Of course the reason why is he would have never had got past his Staff Cadet 'interview' with the senior staff cadet.
Sad indictment on the selection/checking process for VGS entry for this individual.

chevvron
5th Mar 2017, 20:44
Not so, North Weald is Air Ground only and he presented an Air Ground Operators Certificate of Competence when he started.
Don't ask me where it came from....
Anyone can have an A/G certificate known as a Radio Operators Certificate of Competence (ROCC). Civil and military ATCOs and FISOs with a CURRENT unit endorsement or validation can simply apply to the CAA on the requisite form paying them £35 for the issue of the certificate. All others ie controllers/FISOs without a current qualification and civil and military pilots must pass a simple 2 part exam invigilated by an authorised examiner (like me!)

Brian W May
5th Mar 2017, 21:32
I reckon he should go for the Labour Party leadership - he'd fit in really well . . .

The B Word
6th Mar 2017, 08:30
There are now allegations on another flying forum (Flyer GA) that the same individual was sacked by the district council that own the airfield that he worked at for allegedly stealing AVGAS from aircraft.

200lts of Avgas from the C421 then 80lts from the Saratoga. Nobody could work it out at the time

said to be using it in a microlight. I believe suspicions were first aroused by the amount of flying hours V the lack of purchased fuel. Then he was caught with the fuel.

Allegedly when the CCTV was checked the only thing they could see was the ops vehicle and so it was discounted from inquiries at the time. He sounds like a complete wrong-un and if true should probably be doing time. I wonder if any of this brought up in the trial?

The B Word

Grobling About
6th Mar 2017, 11:51
I suggest that we are very careful regarding discussion of the case that is yet to come to court. As a colleague from his VGS and subsequently a fellow member of a syndicate in which I was also taken in, I have been watching the saga with great interest. The story will become more bizarre and impact a number of highly respected organisations which trusted him. We need to ensure that we do nothing that jeopardizes the outcome of that case.

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2017, 16:40
Point noted - do you suggest I change my post?

grobbling about
6th Mar 2017, 18:54
Cheers LJ, I don't think any change is necessary.

Rallye Driver
6th Mar 2017, 19:15
The allegation from the Flyer forum is also wrong. No one was sacked for stealing Avgas. Someone did resign for a separate, non-aviation related incident. That was several years ago, well before Tierney worked at the Airfield.

BBK
6th Mar 2017, 19:24
LJ. You wrote the following:

"Don't forget that average VGS instructor gets a nose-bleed if they venture more than 10nm from the ATZ. They are taught to fly impeccable circuits and then pass that onto the Cadets. But their cross-country skills, R/T, knowledge of airspace and alike is not so good. That is why their flying time counts little towards the award of a PPL, unlike baby pilots that complete Elementary Flying Training (EFT) get effectively all of their flying time counted towards an NPPL."

Apologies for the thread drift but this has nothing to do with the dishonest person being discussed. It's merely your latest unjustified criticism of your local VGS as was. Have you even a shred of evidence? This VGS had an exemplary record and was highly rated by CFS/CGS.

As for the not so thinly veiled jibe at the two VRT officers that is beneath contempt. They have spent decades teaching cadets to fly and encouraging air mindedness not to mention being excellent ambassadors for the RAF. If you really want to say something I'm sure as simple "thank you" would suffice.

I have the pleasure, in my day job, of working with a lot of ex RAF pilots and I have great respect for their experience and training. However, the fact remains that where the VGSs were concerned the RAF let them down in the utter fiasco described elsewhere on this forum.

BBK

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2017, 21:07
It has everything to do with this thread. There are those that think that this individual's VGS training equipped him with the same skills as a PPL pilot - it doesn't. You have assumed that this impression was formed from your own VGS - it wasn't. It came from a discussion from a very experienced VGS pilot from another VGS who is not a military aviator and is a private pilot examiner. This individual used his knowledge gained from VGS flying and then invented a CRI/SEP/TMG/ME/SPL FI fantasy that the training he had received could never stand up to scrutiny - it didn't.

Also, I'm not maligning 2 individuals in my other post that you have misread - I was questiioning Chevvron's post as at first it didn't accord with my understanding of what I had seen. No criticism made or intended. Please re-read.

'Thank you'

LJ

chevvron
7th Mar 2017, 00:22
Chevvron - no, not a WSO. There was an OC and and ex-OC on the squadron both wearing a VRT scraper. Not really interested in a 'witch hunt', it's just that your comments didn't accord with what I had seen. Anyway, all gone now.
I'm not sure if it's still the case but RAFVR(T) Officers are normally, but not always, retired at age 55, however they may stay on as CIs and instructors until (I believe) 65. A CI who is a retired officer is entitled to wear rank slides showing his authorised 'title'.
There used to be no age limit on VRT Officers at AEFs provided they could pass the annual medical, which meant you would often encounter a VRT Fg Off who was actually a Gp Capt or even Air Cdre. I believe these types can only fly until age 65 nowadays too, leading to the loss of many very experienced AEF pilots when some idiot changed the rules.

Pegasus107
7th Mar 2017, 06:00
I'm not sure if it's still the case but RAFVR(T) Officers are normally, but not always, retired at age 55, however they may stay on as CIs and instructors until (I believe) 65. A CI who is a retired officer is entitled to wear rank slides showing his authorised 'title'.
There used to be no age limit on VRT Officers at AEFs provided they could pass the annual medical, which meant you would often encounter a VRT Fg Off who was actually a Gp Capt or even Air Cdre. I believe these types can only fly until age 65 nowadays too, leading to the loss of many very experienced AEF pilots when some idiot changed the rules.

Upper age for uniformed staff was raised to 65, followed by 2 year extensions if required, about two years ago. Probably an attempt to ensure we had enough uniformed staff to continue until the 100th anniversary of the RAF 😉

tmmorris
7th Mar 2017, 06:31
There's certainly an age limit on AEF pilots now. The introduction of the new Cadet Forces Commission this year, while it makes practically no difference to most of us (apart from new rank tabs, lettering regiment/RAFP style instead of pins) might pave the way to more flexibility on age based on medical fitness. That's not been done yet but legally I believe it could be easier now.

ImageGear
7th Mar 2017, 06:57
I have "walted" in growbags for almost every rank including Air Rank, Gp Capt, Wg Cdr and Fl Lt, while flying gliders in the RAFGSA.

I always felt very self conscious even though they were loaned to me while winch driving, retrieving, bus driving and flying. They usually honked to high heaven and had the weight of a suit of armour. :eek:

Being 19 or 20 at the time there was no way I could carry anything off so no deception here. Personally, I believe that these people feel the need to overcome a massive inferiority complex and are prepared to deceive to achieve it.

Imagegear

Pegasus107
7th Mar 2017, 07:59
Thread creep, sorry

might pave the way to more flexibility on age based on medical fitness

What medical fitness!?!? As long as you are breathing, they keep you on. I know of uniformed staff with walking sticks, can't stand too long on parade......

pulse1
7th Mar 2017, 09:30
When I was in Grammar School during the 50's one of my class mates had a brother who was apparently a pilot in the RAF. I remember this guy because, on my first day at the school, he was balled out in front of the whole school for forging his report. As the years went by we heard how he was flying Sabres in Germany and I once saw him in full uniform riding a bike through the town. At the time I thought that was a bit unusual.

It must have been two years after I left school that I saw a double page spread in the Telegraph describing his court appearance charged with impersonating an officer of the RAF. Apparently he had gone into the RAF for national service and was accepted for pilot training. When he was chopped he put off telling his father who was a retired Wing Commander and started to lie about his life as a pilot. He bought a second hand uniform but was too stupid to remove the medals,one of which was a Croix de Guerre. When asked how such a young airman could have this award he claimed that he received it in the Suez crisis. Apparently it was this which led to his exposure as a Walt.

What I have never understood, having proudly followed my son through military pilot training, is how he kept his ex RAF father away from things like Wings award ceremonies and passing out parades.

Homsap
7th Mar 2017, 14:00
I remember a few years ago a police air suport unit got fooled into beliving a chap was a CPL(H) in fact the pilot was in fact a PPL(H).

The PAS unit manager and chief pilot who were good guys interviewed him and he passed the flight assesment te in the EC135, and offered a job, only to discover that he had forged the CPL(H). I will not comment on the manufature of forged licences here, but it was quite impressive someone not military trained or with commercial experience could pass the flight test.

It got in to local media, but then the police and the CPS quietly dropped the case, as I think it was highly embaressing for the police.

But isn't it odd I can check a doctor, radiographer, social worker, solicitor, online, but not a pilot. Likewise a care hire company can check your licence online (with your consent) from anywhere in the world.

When I examined PPLs who hadn't met me before, I would often ask at the end of the flight test why as PIC U/S why they hadn't asked to check my licence, medical and examiner authorisation, as it is a check list item. I should also say when I have hired aircraft from flying schools I have rarely been asked for my licence, but in part because I was a familiar face at airfields.

I think there is alot of complacency about licences and the CAA could make it easier for instructors to check licences, not least post 911 to give the instructor peace of mind.

Davef68
7th Mar 2017, 14:27
Google 'fake pilot's licence' - there is more of it about than you might beleive. Makes me wonder about the ones who haven't been caught.

Reading Tierney's CV I do love the fact he puts his 'A2 QFGI" claim along with the manual handling course he did at the council!

hoodie
7th Mar 2017, 15:58
... why as PIC U/S why they hadn't asked to check my licence, medical and examiner authorisation, as it is a check list item.

Which checklist do you mean?

(I'm not suggesting that the student/PICUS shouldn't do this; it is clearly good practice. I ask simply because I'm not aware of a prompt that most people would have immediately available to them, and wonder if I am missing something).

chevvron
7th Mar 2017, 16:45
I've even heard of an Air Traffic Controller who had 2 licenses in different names. He came unstuck when going for a job at one particular airfield, claiming he had worked at Farnborough. None of us had heard of him when the other airfield phoned to check, so ATSD were informed.

uffington sb
7th Mar 2017, 20:42
And my fellow controller from RAF Wyton.

Cheating pilot?s new career is flying high | UK | News | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/51398/Cheating-pilot-s-new-career-is-flying-high)

FantomZorbin
8th Mar 2017, 07:14
Uffington sb
Well, well,well ... Gibbo, who'd have thought it! On second thoughts tho' ...

Sideshow Bob
8th Mar 2017, 08:06
leading to the loss of many very experienced AEF pilots when some idiot changed the rules
So a Senior Officer making an informed decision based on the outcome of the Service Investigation into an accident that lead to the deaths of two young cadets is now an Idiot!! Your arrogance staggers me.

blind pew
8th Mar 2017, 08:29
Had two club members with a ppl persuade that crook recruiting for Colonel Cullen's lot in Angola that they were qualified to fly choppers as well....both luckily got out alive although one was in the line up where Cullen executed some of his own.
One returned through Brussels with a semi automatic pistol in his camera case as he was going to execute the recruiter (King?) and got pulled by Heathrow customs. Got away without a custodial sentence.
In a similar vein had an instructor who said he was RAF...actually assistant controller at Ipswich...went onto great things in the CAA including prosecution of Glen Stewart...hounded a mate on Concorde who caught him out when he boasted that he was on spits...

Brian W May
8th Mar 2017, 14:36
And my fellow controller from RAF Wyton.

Cheating pilot?s new career is flying high | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Hmmm, not the only pilot who lied about his hours joining Airtours - especially around the time they were recruiting for the DC10 . . .

Fitter2
9th Mar 2017, 08:35
While not condoning in any way Tierney's flying without a licence (and therefore insurance I guess) and his Walting, I have seen nothing to indicate he ever damaged an aircraft, or was caught infringing airspace or annoying air traffic. Maybe this flying lark isn't as difficult as some people think? :E

Planemike
9th Mar 2017, 08:54
Seem to remember a thread some while back that gave the impression quite a few pilots flew in Alaska without the "formality" of a license.

jt00010
9th Mar 2017, 12:38
I had the pleasure (!!!) of working with Wesley, and had absolutely no idea that he was a complete con artist. Not only has he been charged with flying without a licence, he is also under investigation for theft from multiple organisations.

My PPL lapsed a year or so ago, and when I was talking to Wes about flying, he offered to sign me off...so glad I didn't accept!

He also leant me his lovely Irving flying jacket for an open air flight I had last year...no doubt that's stolen too.

He played to the court (and represented himself), and deserves so much worse than community service and a fine. It'll catch up with him, no doubt.

dongivashit
9th Mar 2017, 15:32
STATEMENT - BBMF AND WESLEY TIERNEY

Some of you may have read and seen images in FB and media recently of a gliding instructor, Mr Wesley Tierney, charged with illegal flying activities. Mr Tierney was associated with BBMF some 4 years ago, but in the non-operational capacity of Public Relations Volunteer - a duty related to ground representation at air displays. Mr Tierney was removed from these duties after the season was concluded and has enjoyed no other relationship with the BBMF since.

Fournier Boy
9th Mar 2017, 16:13
For those that haven't seen the second page of his claims to fame. Posting here for people to understand a little more of the wild claims that were being made that he had now admitted were false.

I hate to think how many more individuals were taken in by him, hopefully never more.

FB

tarantonight
9th Mar 2017, 18:56
Clearly a serious matter and I can't add to anything above really.

However, I have to say I would have loved to have been in that courtroom as he defended himself. Now that, would have been entertaining!

TN.

MPN11
9th Mar 2017, 19:05
Sadly, the infamous Jim Shortt* of AARSE fame never went to court.

* Apologies, that's James, Baron Castleshortt, [insert numerous bogus post-nominals]

tarantonight
9th Mar 2017, 19:40
Sadly, the infamous Jim Shortt* of AARSE fame never went to court.

* Apologies, that's James, Baron Castleshortt, [insert numerous bogus post-nominals]

......just Googled him - he is quality and would probably be far more entertaining than the current Walt in the 'Self Defence' stakes. As it were.

MPN11
9th Mar 2017, 19:48
To an extent. I had personal threats from him on AARSE. Seriously deranged, but also dangerous.

barnstormer1968
9th Mar 2017, 20:13
MPN

Did he threaten you with court action or something from the IBA?

The only thing funnier than his farcical IBA courses is the fact the RAF hired him to teach their personnel :)

tarantonight
9th Mar 2017, 21:15
To an extent. I had personal threats from him on AARSE. Seriously deranged, but also dangerous.

Probably could have chosen different words, but was solely referring to the time standing in a witness box.

TN.

MPN11
10th Mar 2017, 08:43
He threatened the website and several individuals with legal action ... but did nothing. I've just had a nostalgic flick through some of the pages at https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/baron-castleshort.93251/

treadigraph
10th Mar 2017, 09:02
I think I may have been in conversation with him in a Croydon pub one night a few years ago. The "gent" in question certainly looked very like the photos on ARRSE and he picked up on my conversation with a friend about the RAF (I was probably talking total bollocks!).

He then told us about his involvement with the local TA, teaching judo or some such, then got on to his time with the Paras followed by some unsubtle nods and winks towards a certain Herefordshire regiment. By this time I had him figured for a bull-****ter after a free pint, so drained mine and dragged my mate off to a different boozer!

Two of my acquaintances in my regular are ex Paras and it would have been interesting to see what they made of him.

goudie
10th Mar 2017, 09:50
Probably a nasty mess on the pavement outside the pub Treads

barnstormer1968
10th Mar 2017, 11:18
Treadigraph.
The funniest thing is that his claim to have been in the SAS has enough truth (in his mind I suppose) for him to be able to embellish it ever so very very slightly ;)

He was accepted for training in 21 SAS, but didnt get past holding, didnt complete basic training, trade training, get badged or serve in a Sqn :)

Try looking him up on the UK paramedic register, or any other of his 'occupations' and you will see he appears on very few lists.

treadigraph
10th Mar 2017, 11:59
Probably a nasty mess on the pavement outside the pub Treads

:ok: My regular is in the market. so the mess would have been swept up with the rest of the sh!t!

A grain of truth, eh Barnstormer!

MPN11
10th Mar 2017, 12:40
Ah, there were so many Threads on Shortt, as the investigations went on. I think the main one went to Part III, aside from the one I linked above. It kept a fair few people busy and amused for quite a long time! Deconstructing all his false medals was a particularly interesting phase, as they were all revealed to be purchased cr@p :)

Fournier Boy
10th Mar 2017, 17:54
I'm amazed nobody has passed comment on the second part of Tierneys CV - running operations at Brize before the age of 25!

FB

MPN11
10th Mar 2017, 18:02
"I covered the role of Duty Operations Controller..." could, of course, mean "... while he went to the loo".

Deconstructing CVs to reveal the truth at interview is enormous fun. The use of 'covered' should ring an automatic alarm bell.

Lyneham Lad
10th Mar 2017, 18:56
The ultimate Walt:-

A man sees a sign in a house window - 'Talking Dog For Sale.' He rings the doorbell, the owner appears and tells him the dog can be viewed in the back garden.
The man sees a very nice looking black Labrador sitting there.

"Do you really talk?" he asks the dog.

"Yes," the Labrador replies.

After recovering from the shock of hearing the dog talk, the man asks, "So, tell me your story."

The Labrador looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help society, so I applied to join the SAS. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one imagined that a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years".

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at Heathrow Airport to do some undercover security work, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded several medals".

"Then I got married, had a few puppies, and now I've just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back into the house and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog.

"Ten quid," the owner says.

"£10!!? But your dog is absolutely amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheaply?"

"Because he's a lying bastard, he's never been out of the garden."

I know, I know - hat, coat, door...

MPN11
10th Mar 2017, 19:38
hahahaha :D :D

SirToppamHat
10th Mar 2017, 19:58
Lynham Lad

Thanks bud, that really tickled me:D:D:D

STH

Tengah Type
10th Mar 2017, 20:04
Fournier Boy and MPN11 #91 & 92

Running Brize Operations before the age of 25 was possible, as after 2005 a couple
of lady first tourists were Duty Operations Controllers. Between 1998 and 2012 there was nobody
" Covering the Duty Operations Controller" Usually it would be the Ops Corporal covering for the minutes
you were visiting Met or taking a natural break.

Nobody called Tierney worked in Brize Ops between 1998 and 2012.

newfieboy
11th Mar 2017, 00:43
LL
Awesome tale/tail!!!!
Talking of Walts, someone mentioned earlier Costas Georgiou, aka Colonel Tony Callan and the Angola unpleasantness in 1976. It was John Banks and another Walt Leslie Aspin did the hiring for that mad adventure. I happened to meet Costas, Nick Hall (lived in Lincoln),Sammy Copeland (RSM who did the shooting at Maquala) Mick Wainhouse and Shotgun Charly Christodoulou, the original four mercs that went to Angola in 1975/76 at a wedding of a good Para friend in Lincolnshre. All mad as a box of frogs, but seemed like good guys at the time.Well they brought the beers!!! All members of 1Para all apart from Charly spent time in Colechester with dishonourable discharges. Went home to Louth Lincs for the millennium in 1999 New Years Eve in my old local bumped into John Banks....living in Gainsbourgh,free beer off him ,but Jeez, what a bull****ter, made Shortt look honest. My brother signed up with Banks but thought better of it after meeting him....:eek:

treadigraph
11th Mar 2017, 08:11
someone mentioned earlier Costas Georgiou, aka Colonel Tony Callan and the Angola unpleasantness in 1976. It was John Banks

When that was mentioned, I was trying to remember John Banks' name. I was at school, he was in the papers and one of my mates thought he was a hero. I like to think now that I thought then he was bloody mad!

The B Word
11th Mar 2017, 14:44
Full story here on Wes Tierney - https://thewaltercumpershunterclub.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/wesley-tierney/

Much, much, worse than I thought. A Walting Bloater and a common Tea Leaf to boot it would seem...

MPN11
11th Mar 2017, 18:23
Oh, an excellent exposé

Fournier Boy
11th Mar 2017, 22:54
Damn, beat me to it!! Some of the content of that article that wasn't previously in the public domain will be heard in front of a judge within the next month, so I'm sure there will be much more coming out about this young chap!

newfieboy
12th Mar 2017, 01:49
Sounds much like Robert Weaver a la the thread on another pprune story. I shake my head after 16800+ hrs of commercial helicopters how these Walts manage to last so long!!!!!:ugh:

NutLoose
12th Mar 2017, 03:41
200lts of Avgas from the C421 then 80lts from the Saratoga. Nobody could work it out at the time

It isn't the theft of the fuel that is the main concern, light aircraft guages are notoriously inaccurate and it isn't possible to dip the tanks on everything, therefore someone loading the family knowing he filled it the night before might suddenly find himself over sh*t creek with no powered paddles.

UV
12th Mar 2017, 11:37
Quote:

It isn't the theft of the fuel that is the main concern, light aircraft guages are notoriously inaccurate and it isn't possible to dip the tanks on everything, therefore someone loading the family knowing he filled it the night before might suddenly find himself over sh*t creek with no powered paddles.

Not relevant. See post #56 above. Long time before Tierney was at NW.

Jetblu
12th Mar 2017, 14:17
Quote:

Not relevant. See post #56 above. Long time before Tierney was at NW.
The 200lts from the C421 was stolen between 22nd December 2011 and 2nd January 2012.

The 80lts from the Saratoga was stolen between 17th May 2013 and 28th May 2013.

When did Tierney take-up the position at NW?

I wouldn't say, not relevant quite yet.

Jetblu
12th Mar 2017, 14:45
Sounds much like Robert Weaver a la the thread on another pprune story. I shake my head after 16800+ hrs of commercial helicopters how these Walts manage to last so long!!!!!:ugh:
Don't jest! I am unsure if someone was just having a laugh with me but they said Tierney had on his CV that he was/had been a ferry pilot for Classic Wings.
They went on to say that Tierney was gingers London,UK representative. I could see the funny side and took it as a wind-up, but who knows???

Fournier Boy
12th Mar 2017, 18:57
Tierney did indeed claim in writing on his CV to be a Ferry Pilot for Classic Wings. Classic Wings are aware of these claims. These claims are very false.

FB

Jetblu
12th Mar 2017, 20:50
The allegation from the Flyer forum is also wrong. No one was sacked for stealing Avgas. Someone did resign for a separate, non-aviation related incident. That was several years ago, well before Tierney worked at the Airfield.
You seemingly appear to know the answer to this... At what date did Tierney start working for EFDC at NW?

Auster Fan
12th Mar 2017, 21:04
Fournier Boy and MPN11 #91 & 92

Running Brize Operations before the age of 25 was possible, as after 2005 a couple
of lady first tourists were Duty Operations Controllers. Between 1998 and 2012 there was nobody
" Covering the Duty Operations Controller" Usually it would be the Ops Corporal covering for the minutes
you were visiting Met or taking a natural break.

Nobody called Tierney worked in Brize Ops between 1998 and 2012.

I'm pretty sure he was on an ATC overseas camp in Cyprus in 2006 as a Cadet (maybe 2007) when I was an escorting officer (not from my Wing though - I'm fairly certain he was in Herts & Bucks Wing), so he would only have been about 15 or 16 at the time.

mopardave
12th Mar 2017, 21:05
The ultimate Walt:-

Quote:
A man sees a sign in a house window - 'Talking Dog For Sale.' He rings the doorbell, the owner appears and tells him the dog can be viewed in the back garden.
The man sees a very nice looking black Labrador sitting there.

"Do you really talk?" he asks the dog.

"Yes," the Labrador replies.

After recovering from the shock of hearing the dog talk, the man asks, "So, tell me your story."

The Labrador looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help society, so I applied to join the SAS. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one imagined that a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years".

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at Heathrow Airport to do some undercover security work, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded several medals".

"Then I got married, had a few puppies, and now I've just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back into the house and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog.

"Ten quid," the owner says.

"£10!!? But your dog is absolutely amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheaply?"

"Because he's a lying bastard, he's never been out of the garden."
I know, I know - hat, coat, door...

Thanks for making my dad's hernia a whole lot worse!

Jetblu
12th Mar 2017, 21:15
Well I have found the EFDC North Weald Operations Manager job description advertisement, however, I cannot see any closing date.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9sI-v7tHSAhXiC8AKHeENBPsQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eppingforestdc.gov.uk%2Fhome%2Ffile-store%2Fcategory%2F406-vacancies%3Fdownload%3D4116%3Annw08%26start%3D60&usg=AFQjCNEX7HazYv_FK9-D2WaAhUEfh-OhQg

When you're ready 'Rallye Driver' or 'UV'.

Lima Juliet
12th Mar 2017, 23:22
According to his CV he started at North Weald in Aug 14 - however, seeing as his CV is riddled with lies then it isn't exactly safe to trust it! :hmm:

Rallye Driver
13th Mar 2017, 08:15
That statement is correct

Jetblu
13th Mar 2017, 08:52
That is disappointing. What that now effectively means is that the Avgas fuel thief is still at large at North Weald.

*Edit - Rallye Driver - what particular part of that statement do you agree with as being correct?

Basil
13th Mar 2017, 10:22
Back in the mists of time, performing walkround of Varsity at Oakington for first flight of the day, discovered fuel drain panel unsecured. Rather grumpy QFI now delighted by Basil's attention to detail and off we go.

A couple of weeks later noted unfortunate airman was to be court-martialled for pilfering HM's Avgas.

Rallye Driver
13th Mar 2017, 11:17
That he started at NWA as an Ops Officer in August 2014

Fournier Boy
6th Apr 2017, 18:47
Just an update for those interested. Tierney is due back in court on the 12th April to answer theft charges, more to follow on the day...

Lima Juliet
6th Apr 2017, 22:04
Yes, and I hope he is judged accordingly....

TorqueOfTheDevil
7th Apr 2017, 11:51
So a Senior Officer making an informed decision based on the outcome of the Service Investigation into an accident that lead to the deaths of two young cadets is now an Idiot!! Your arrogance staggers me.

+1. Although wasn't it the second midair (ie the one where only one cadet died plus the pilot) which lead to the cull of KOSs?

I believe these types can only fly until age 65 nowadays too, leading to the loss of many very experienced AEF pilots when some idiot changed the rules.

And anyway it's 60 not 65.

Kittyhawk89
14th Apr 2017, 19:48

This happens all the time. Used to be a guy from Scotland who used to prance about in his VRT uniform all the time. He even got married in his uniform! These people give others a bad name! Normally they are easily identifiable, from what I remeber nobody from ACCGS much liked him as they knew exactly what he was like!

Such a good organisation can be spoiled by these Walter types. If you want it that badly, go work hard for it like the rest of us had to do!

Scary how it went unnoticed for quite so long!

Tankertrashnav
15th Apr 2017, 09:32
Those of you who have read Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann will remember the chapter on a pilot who was engaged as a pilot on a new commercial airline in the immediate post war years without being asked to show his licence. Only after a display of spectacular ineptitude lead to an immediate flight check was it discovered that not only did he not have an ATPL (or equivalent) but did not even have an instrument rating. Makes you wonder how many are still flying similarly unqualified.

tmmorris
15th Apr 2017, 13:18
VRT officers are actually allowed to get married in uniform (and wear a sword!) though like you I'd question the motives of someone actually doing so.

chevvron
15th Apr 2017, 15:56
VRT officers are actually allowed to get married in uniform (and wear a sword!) though like you I'd question the motives of someone actually doing so.

Must've changed the rules since I was 'demobbed' in '98; in my day there was a rule that VRT Officers were not to carry a sword under any circumstances.

tmmorris
15th Apr 2017, 19:01
Weddings were a stated exception last time I looked (allegedly because no actual drill required so you can't make a tit of yourself)

MPN11
15th Apr 2017, 19:16
Weddings were a stated exception last time I looked (allegedly because no actual drill required so you can't make a tit of yourself)
Apart from weighing 18 stone, and with the uniform bulging in all directions at once.

You know the photo ;)

Lima Juliet
16th Apr 2017, 10:56
One of my all time favourites is 'that photo' :ok:
http://i64.tinypic.com/29dtpg8.jpg

Anyway, any news what happened in Court this week?

Fournier Boy
16th Apr 2017, 16:28
What happened was he pleaded not guilty to the alleged thefts. Due to the seriousness of the charges and the value of the items recovered from his lockup, it has been passed to Chelmsford Crown Court for trial. The PTPH is in early May and a full trial date will be set then. Obviously he might well change his plea, but at the moment he is looking at taking the long road!

It's good though as he certainly now has some interesting explaining to do

FB

Lima Juliet
16th Apr 2017, 17:26
Cheers FB :ok:

Wander00
16th Apr 2017, 18:44
In 1971 I carried a sword as O i/c GoH at a Beds/Cambs/Hunts Wing annual parade at Henlow. Mind you, until a year or so previously, as a regular, I had commanded the GoH at RAF Watton

MPN11
16th Apr 2017, 18:47
I carried a sword too, albeit as a Regular. Once commanding the Guard of Honour for AOC's, and once for my wedding. I wore no medals on either occasion ;)

Fournier Boy
19th May 2017, 22:37
PTPH occurred a couple of weeks back at Chelmsford Crown Court - his trial begins in October, will certainly be interesting to hear what he has to say!

FB

thunderbird7
20th May 2017, 19:04
I carried a sword too, albeit as a Regular. Once commanding the Guard of Honour for AOC's, and once for my wedding. I wore no medals on either occasion ;)

..but you deserved one after the latter...

Dundiggin'
20th May 2017, 19:49
My word! that Walt really is a sack of sh@t!

BEagle
21st May 2017, 07:06
He might look a right mess in uniform, but he isn't a 'Walt' and has probably done more for the benefit of the Air Cadets than PTFN and the screwed-up gliding 'pause' has.....:mad:

chevvron
21st May 2017, 07:35
He might look a right mess in uniform, but he isn't a 'Walt' and has probably done more for the benefit of the Air Cadets than PTFN and the screwed-up gliding 'pause' has.....:mad:

But he's not wearing a CFM medal ribbon.
I would have got a 'clasp' to mine if my WingCo hadn't sacked me at the age of 51 just because he was jealous of me flying with the Air Cadet microlight operation which he himself had used to get his PPL(M)!

Dundiggin'
21st May 2017, 07:55
I stand corrected - but what a bloody mess!

Dan Winterland
21st May 2017, 15:19
Those of you who have read Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann will remember the chapter on a pilot who was engaged as a pilot on a new commercial airline in the immediate post war years without being asked to show his licence. Only after a display of spectacular ineptitude lead to an immediate flight check was it discovered that not only did he not have an ATPL (or equivalent) but did not even have an instrument rating.

IIRC, Gann later mentioned that this pilot had crashed, killing himself, his crew and passengers. Gann felt remorse for not 'outing' him.

ShotOne
22nd May 2017, 07:16
...which is why flying an aircraft without a licence is a serious criminal offence but pretending to have been in the military when you haven't is (usually) just evidence of sad loserdom.

Is the "Walt" thread title really accurate? It seems his RAF GS and BBMF connections were about the only bits on his cv which were more or less true, and rather than being a Walt, he used his genuine RAF connections, ID card, flying clothing and station access to hoodwink aircraft owners to gain the use of their aircraft.

bobward
22nd May 2017, 19:13
Beagle,
Thanks for the comment, much appreciated by we 'part time' officers and gentlemen.

....and it isn't me in the picture either.:hmm:

Brian W May
23rd May 2017, 12:27
'part time' officers and gentlemen.

I thought they dropped that tie a few decades back when so many proved it wasn't necessarily so . . .

Herod
23rd May 2017, 15:15
As in..."It took an Act of Parliament to make you an officer, but it would take an Act of God to make you a gentleman"...the old ones are the best.

Ilpswichboy
10th Jun 2017, 16:52
What sort of gliders did he fly and at which VGS? Grob Acro ( Viking) with 644 VGS, much more to this story than you'd ever realise.

Jetex_Jim
10th Jun 2017, 20:12
I've seen Donald Trump wearing a military jacket and he managed to totally avoid military service. (Vietnam being on at the time he was able to buy a medical waiver)
Does that make him a Walt? (As well as a dick)

Tankertrashnav
10th Jun 2017, 23:23
Isn't he ex officio C in C of US Military Forces?

(God help them!)

ricardian
11th Jun 2017, 13:38
Mr Trump in his younger days

http://skyvalleychronicle.com/999/news/img201507210944241953838860.jpg

Two's in
11th Jun 2017, 13:50
If you look carefully you can see the life-threatening bone spurs that caused him to get his 5th medical deferment and sadly avoid selfless devotion to his country fighting in Vietnam.

Whenurhappy
12th Jun 2017, 06:38
If you look carefully you can see the life-threatening bone spurs that caused him to get his 5th medical deferment and sadly avoid selfless devotion to his country fighting in Vietnam.

His trousers look a tad short, too. That says a lot about the man.

3wheels
7th Oct 2017, 09:48
What happened was he pleaded not guilty to the alleged thefts. Due to the seriousness of the charges and the value of the items recovered from his lockup, it has been passed to Chelmsford Crown Court for trial. The PTPH is in early May and a full trial date will be set then. Obviously he might well change his plea, but at the moment he is looking at taking the long road!

It's good though as he certainly now has some interesting explaining to do

FB

Just heard he changed plea to Guilty and so he appeared last week.
Another suspended sentence...i.e. Let off.
I suspect his previous suspended sentence for flying without a licence had expired.

airpolice
7th Oct 2017, 15:53
Full story here on Wes Tierney - https://thewaltercumpershunterclub.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/wesley-tierney/

Much, much, worse than I thought. A Walting Bloater and a common Tea Leaf to boot it would seem...

Well, it's on the RAF website, so it must be true.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=E7B15C85-5056-A318-A863F5AE28923A22

Friday - An early start for some of the engineers and the Boss, however a possible Spitfire sortie was cancelled because of the very poor weather. Driving winds and nearly storm force winds most of the morning, getting worse throughout the day. Flt Lt Wes Tierney from RAF Syerston, Central Gliding School visited this morning with some of the gliding students, for a hangar tour.

dongivashit
10th Oct 2017, 07:17
The Comet (Letchworth).

Letchworth fake pilot avoids jail again after admitting aircraft part thefts.

Wesley Tierney, of Lindon Green, received a suspended jail sentence in March after he admitted repeated unlicensed flying and forgery over a period of four years.

The self-styled “can-do, cocksure” 26-year-old was then found to have stolen and hidden around £10,000 worth of aviation items from North Weald Airfield in Epping Forest.

Tierney appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court on Thursday charged with three counts of theft after the stolen goods were found in a storage room he was renting.

He changed his pleas from not guilty to guilty, upon which Recorder Sandeep Kainth – who also sentenced Tierney in March – imposed a fresh 16-month prison sentence, suspended for a year.

A former employee at North Weald Airfield – who asked to remain anonymous – told the Comet: “I’m shocked that he has got away with not going to prison.

“Considering he already has a suspended sentence, I can’t quite understand how he gets away with having another.

“He’s living the charmed life. As soon as cracks started to appear in his persona it got worse and worse.

“He fooled everybody into thinking that he’s a respectable young lad.”

The crimes happened between March 2015 and May 2016, with the stolen items including historic aircraft parts and propeller blades.

This conviction comes after Tierney received an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for 14 months, in March – after admitting three counts of acting as flight crew of an aircraft without holding an appropriate licence and two counts of forgery with attempt to deceive, committed between 2012 and 2016.

He flew planes from the Old Warden Aerodrome in Bedfordshire and two RAF bases – RAF Wittering and RAF Kirton – for four years without a licence or training.

The court heard that Tierney had piloted a number of aircraft types over this period, and among other things taken his former partner and their four and five-year-old children into the air – along with other people “he wished to impress”.

He had no liability insurance cover – and Recorder Kainth told him on that occasion that if there had been a crash “there was a substantial risk of harm which cannot be quantified”.

Tierney told the judge at that hearing that he had “let lies escalate” and “let the situation get out of control”.

He said: “I was trying to fit in with others. I was trying to be able to fit into conversations.

“The only relief I have was the relief of finally being caught and having my cycle of lies broken. It was a relief not to have to pretend in the bar or the mess anymore.

“I was a can-do, cocksure individual – that was the person I was. My guidance in my teens was a little misguided.”

It was also said at that hearing that Tierney now worked in a London museum, taking home £1,900 a month.

In addition to his new suspended sentence, Tierney must observe an 8pm-to-5am curfew for six months.

Lima Juliet
10th Oct 2017, 10:39
Crikey, I was sure he would be sent down for this with his previous suspended sentence still extant.

airpolice
10th Oct 2017, 13:24
Crikey, I was sure he would be sent down for this with his previous suspended sentence still extant.

He didn't offend (that we know of) after the first suspended sentence was imposed.

You can't lock him up for doing it again, unless he did it again.

What will get him jailed, is if he's found to have committed an offence, any offence, while service the suspended sentences.

Musician
10th Oct 2017, 13:26
8 months plus 16 months = 24 months prison, which is the limit for suspending a sentence.
When a court imposes a custodial sentence of between 14 days and two years (or six months in the magistrates’ court), the court may choose to suspend the sentence for up to two years.(Source: Sentencing Council (https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/about-sentencing/types-of-sentence/suspended-sentences/)) He didn't commit the other offense while on suspension.

NRU74
10th Oct 2017, 18:42
You can't lock him up for doing it again, unless he did it again.

What will get him jailed, is if he's found to have committed an offence, any offence, while service the suspended sentences.[/QUOTE]

He can be jailed if the offence which preceded the suspended sentence crossed the cutody threshold and the Court decided it was serious enough not to suspend it.
Also committing any offence during the currency of a suspended sentence theoretically carries the risk of activation of the 'bender' as it's called, the sentence is rarely activated if the new offence is not itself imprisonable eg minor motoring, D and D etc

Wrathmonk
10th Oct 2017, 22:29
Tierney now worked in a London museum, taking home £1,900 a month

Hope that's all he's taking home from the museum each month.

Could always send stuff to himself....can't be many with the same name working as a curator (http://kfps.website/index.php/museum-of-philately/) in London.;)

Wander00
11th Oct 2017, 09:36
Cannot understand why this point of fundamental origin was not sent to prison the first time - quite happy for him to be a danger to himself, but clearly a significant threat to others. Get him off the street, I say

Danny42C
11th Oct 2017, 13:26
Why don't we copy the US "Stolen Valor" Act ? and should we not reluctantly admire the Walt of All Time, the "Captain of Köpenick" ?

Anybody suggest a more worthy candidate for the title ?

Mil-26Man
7th May 2018, 07:15
I'm hazarding a guess this chap's a Walt... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/06/thousands-of-far-right-protesters-march-in-london-in-support-of-free-speech

air pig
7th May 2018, 10:49
I've seen Donald Trump wearing a military jacket and he managed to totally avoid military service. (Vietnam being on at the time he was able to buy a medical waiver)
Does that make him a Walt? (As well as a dick)

Didn't stop Clintom wearing one either and he avoided Vietnam by being a Rhodes scholar at Oxford.

ShotOne
7th May 2018, 16:31
“Why don’t we copy the Stolen Vslor Act” even if we did, Mr Tierney couldn’t be charged as he hasn’t stolen any valor. Although he has apparently stolen other stuff!

NutLoose
8th May 2018, 12:16
http://skyvalleychronicle.com/999/news/img201507210944241953838860.jpg

So he used to wear his hair in a quiff, tucked up into and through his hat back then?

Finningley Boy
8th May 2018, 16:58
Two minds over this.

One, how on earth did he get away with it in the first place?
Secondly, he looks like a t**t in that picture. Everyone knows how you should wear a chip poke.

Well at least he never modelled a suicide vest....

RE-Chip Poke, crammed on to one side like in the old war movies...right!
FB

Basil
8th May 2018, 19:39
glad rag,
chip poke
Location: London, New York, Paris, Moscow - Goanny add Glasgow tae that? ;)

he looks like a t**t
Well, he already has three of the letters in his initials. :E

megan
3rd Oct 2021, 06:33
Posting because it has personal interest.WO1 Clive "Clive-o" H. Collins was a VHPA member who died after his tour in Vietnam on 04/27/2021 at the age of 84.7Stuart, FL
Flight Classes 70-25 and 70-21
Date of Birth 08/22/1936
Served in the U.S. Army
Served in Vietnam with B/3/17 CAV in 70, 135 AHC in 70-71
Call signs in Vietnam STOGIE, EMU 22, TAIPAN 33
This information was provided by Sammie Williams - obit

More detail on this person: Clive Herbert Collins, 84, of Stuart, FL passed on Tuesday, April 27, 2021. Born in Southgate London, England, son of Herbert and Myrtle Collins. Clive was raised in England, completed primary school, graduated from Mincheden High School, and attended London University in the UK. He joined the British Army from 1955 to 1957, where he served his country honorably earning the British General Service Medal and Suez Medal. Clive then traveled the world from the Canary Islands to the Caribbean, Thailand, and Australia working various aviation-related jobs. He arrived in the United States in 1967 as an Operations Officer for Braniff International Airlines in Miami and worked there until he began his military career with the United States Army. Clive, a true patriot, volunteered for the United States Army in 1969 and served for 11 years, including a tour in Vietnam as a Helicopter Pilot flying the Hughes TH-55, Bell TH-13, OH-58, and, mostly, his beloved Bell UH-1 gunships as Aircraft Commander. He also flew the CH-47 in Europe after Vietnam. He earned the rank of Chief Warrant Officer and was the recipient of numerous awards including a bronze star, purple heart, Distinguished Flying Cross among others before his retirement in 1980. Clive then followed his love of the ocean becoming a 1st Mate on a commercial fishing boat and private yacht before purchasing his own 30' commercial fishing boat. Clive's love of flying and his experience in both the British and United States Military led him to a successful civilian career as a helicopter pilot for Air Logistics, Louisiana until 1991 when his cancer diagnosis and laryngectomy forced his retirement. In retirement, Clive focused on his passion for gun and military antique collecting and history. He also enjoyed collecting, tinkering, and driving his many cars and motorcycles. A lifetime patriot and military man. He was a life member of VFW, Post 10132 Hobe Sound, FL, and a life member of The Military Order of the Purple Heart. He is survived by: his children: Justin A. Collins and his wife, Ellison, of Naples, FL; Nicole Perlman and her husband, Glen, of Walpole, MA; his brother Barry Collins; his grandchildren, Ellie, Jack, and Travis as well as his future granddaughter, daughter of Justin and Ellison; Dear friend Stephanie Yerkes of Stuart. A service will be held graveside at All Saints Cemetery, Jensen Beach, FL on Saturday, May 1, 2021, at 9:30 am. All County Funeral Home, Stuart, Florida Published in TC Palm from Apr. 29 to Apr. 30, 2021

Burial information: All Saints Cemetery, Jensen Beach, FLProblem is, the period he claims to have served in Vietnam I was there, and 2i/c of the platoon he claims to have been in, also the call signs he claims to have used he couldn't have, as they belonged to other individuals.

You might note that he also claims being in the British Army 1955 to 1957, and has the British General Service Medal and Suez Medal. Any way of checking his British Army bona fides?

Asturias56
3rd Oct 2021, 07:37
Best left in peace is my opinion - too late to call him out on any fabrication and all it'll do is hurt people who weren't responsible for it.

Not as if he's a major historical personage with a record that needs correcting

I'd hope the history is mainly correct but it's too late now :(

RIP

Archimedes
3rd Oct 2021, 23:56
Posting because it has personal interest. Problem is, the period he claims to have served in Vietnam I was there, and 2i/c of the platoon he claims to have been in, also the call signs he claims to have used he couldn't have, as they belonged to other individuals.

You might note that he also claims being in the British Army 1955 to 1957, and has the British General Service Medal and Suez Medal. Any way of checking his British Army bona fides?

Tricky - I'd suspect that'd be his two years of National Service. He may have been involved during Op MUSKETEER, and the GSM with Near East clasp would've been issued as a result.

Using Ancestry there is a Clive H Collins with a USA Aviation background who has the date of birth given. The record is from 1972 and has him as a CW2 in the USAR.

There's a photo of him - here (https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/tcpalm/name/clive-collins-obituary?pid=198499369)

I wonder whether this is more a result of confusion (either the late Mr Collins's memory failing him towards the end of his days, or on the part of a proud relative attempting to decipher personal papers and getting entirely the wrong end of the stick - the RAF Historical Branch has regular instances where someone's great uncle clearly wasn't adopting a Mitty-esque approach but that his family pieced together information from stories and personal papers and ended up with a very different career for their late relative, and one which said relative had never, in fact, claimed for himself...)

megan
4th Oct 2021, 05:13
Using Ancestry there is a Clive H Collins with a USA Aviation background who has the date of birth given. The record is from 1972 and has him as a CW2 in the USARDoes Ancestry give any details of his Vietnam service Archimedes?

Asturias56
4th Oct 2021, 07:58
"I wonder whether this is more a result of confusion (either the late Mr Collins's memory failing him towards the end of his days, or on the part of a proud relative attempting to decipher personal papers and getting entirely the wrong end of the stick -"

I've dabbled in Family History and seen the same effect - people's memories change and when they are related 2nd or 3rd hand they become quite unreliable - often a useful guide as to where to go and look but the actual dates and facts are often skewed badly

Hydromet
4th Oct 2021, 08:37
I've dabbled in Family History and seen the same effect - people's memories change and when they are related 2nd or 3rd hand they become quite unreliable - often a useful guide as to where to go and look but the actual dates and facts are often skewed badly
Not even that many generations apart. My Grandfather was in the army at around the turn of the 18-19th century, but denied having gone to the Boer war. However, one of his friends told my father and uncle that he definitely had. There's no one by his name on the nominal roll, but it's possible he changed his name for some reason - it seems there was some sort of family estrangement. Another family member claims that he went to Sydney University, but they have no record of him. Where does the truth lie? Who knows, and it's unlikely we ever will.

treadigraph
4th Oct 2021, 08:41
My paternal granddad was a Spitfire pilot in WWII. So my brother told me. A bit of simple investigation shows he was actually in the RFC/RAF in WWI so MAY have been a pilot. I don't know. But the Spitfire bit was cobblers, appropriate as he later owned a shoe shop in Birmingham.

SimonK
4th Oct 2021, 09:17
My paternal granddad was a Spitfire pilot in WWII. So my brother told me. A bit of simple investigation shows he was actually in the RFC/RAF in WWI so MAY have been a pilot. I don't know. But the Spitfire bit was cobblers, appropriate as he later owned a shoe shop in Birmingham.

Maybe he flew one for a 'jolly'? I have a logbook to a Cornell instructor who spent the whole war in Canada teaching pilots to fly exclusively them, although he once flew a Hurricane for a 30 minute air experience flight and I guess he would always be known as "a former Hurricane pilot". Maybe that is how your grandad became known as a Spitfire pilot? Although on the flipside, several former WW1 German pilots also flew frontline missions (and scored kills) in the Luftwaffe in WW2, so you never know!

I worked with a lovely bloke a few years back who was insistent that his grandad was a Spitfire pilot in WW2, joining up at 16 and becoming a Squadron Leader at 17. I don't doubt he believed it was true (he was a very honest chap) as it was established family legend, but enough about his story flagged alarm bells to me and I could find no records of his grandad when I tried to help him research this character. Happy to leave him with the story though, could be true I guess but very unlikely and no need to burst his bubble....

Haraka
4th Oct 2021, 09:33
I was asked to check on an "Ex Meteor pilot" who used to sound off down our local pub. I got him into conversation then , when he was in full flow, off handedly asked him what marks he flew .

He couldn't remember.

Archimedes
4th Oct 2021, 09:53
Does Ancestry give any details of his Vietnam service Archimedes?

Not that I could find. There is a site which covers 135 AHC and the yearbooks don’t seem to have him amongst the personnel, of whom there are mugshots at the end. Of course, he may have been omitted for some reason other than the obvious one of not being part of the unit in the first place. The yearbooks, I think, show the actual holder of at least one of the EMU or TAIPAN callsigns attributed to the chap in the obit.

212man
4th Oct 2021, 11:25
Does Ancestry give any details of his Vietnam service Archimedes?
Megan - based on your knowledge, is it feasible for a 33 year old to have been recruited into the Pilot training programme? The current age limit is 32, for the US Army. Also, how would he have been enlisted as a Warrant Officer as a non-national? Current rules forbid it (only into enlsited ranks) unless he had somehow gained US citizenship before then?

No mention here of a DFC: https://valor.defense.gov/Portals/24/Documents/ServiceCross/Army%20Vietam%20War%20DSCs%20-%202021%2006%2001.pdf?ver=jTBDkAjG4ot-bO4xca3DgA%3d%3d

treadigraph
4th Oct 2021, 11:51
Maybe he flew one for a 'jolly'?.

No, he may have been in the Home Guard or something in WW2 but he returned to civvy life after the end of the First World War. My brother knew little about aircraft and "flew fighters" might have been translated into "Spitfire". My dad and his sister both had the aircraft bug.

megan
4th Oct 2021, 12:45
based on your knowledge, is it feasible for a 33 year old to have been recruited into the Pilot training programmeThe Americans I've talked to find it questionable, doubtful, and not believable, in 1967 the age limit was 30, don't know what it may have been in 1970. In any event, 1970 doesn't matter, because he most certainly didn't serve in the unit post January 1970.

The unit only served in Vietnam for four and a bit years, having been formed in Vietnam on the 29th September 1967, and have been a fairly close knit bunch up until very recent years. Thus far I've been unable to find any one who has heard of him in three of those years, but still have one response to come.