PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and/or skint EK retirees/DXB hotels

Dropp the Pilot
1st Mar 2017, 02:04
Are there hotels in town that offer discounted rates to retirees? How about elsewhere in the network?

777boyo
1st Mar 2017, 07:48
Dropp

Good question. In DXB, I've failed totally to find a Travel Industry/EK/Airline rate for retired staff at any hotel, including the "big" names. Best deal I've been able to find is the Holiday Inn Express at the airport, which is actually OK for a transit stay or single night. About Dhs 250 net including breakfast if memory is correct.

Elsewhere, I've tried the crew hotels with no success - rule seems to be "current employees" only. The only place that gave me an airline rate was the Hyatt Regency in MEL, who were really good about it - "of course, no problem with a retired staff id". Otherwise, and I've tried many countries and hotel chains, including UK, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, HKG etc etc, without success.

You could try interline sites such as Vacations to Go, Dargal, TIS (UK), but they tend to be USA/Mexico oriented, big resort type places. The only DXB hotels I've found on these sites are actually in RAK/Fujeirah.

Its one of the disadvantages of having "Retired" in big letters on your retired staff id. If you find any hotels/chains which will give a discount to retired staff, I'd be interested to hear - maybe post it here. Good luck.

7B

gehenna
1st Mar 2017, 10:20
I assume that you guys are retired from EK. Did you manage to keep your Emirates Platinum Cards, if you had one? I ask as I handed mine in, and now find that some hotels will give discounts if you have one, even when retired. I'm trying to get info from EK about getting one in retrospect, but so far no-one has replied to emails!!

Thanks

777boyo
1st Mar 2017, 11:05
Gehenna
Negative, had to hand it in as part of the departure formalities. Wasn't given the option of keeping it, but probably wouldn't have done anyway - after nearly 34 years in the Gulf, time in DXB is mainly limited to transit these days!!
7B

blorgwinder
1st Mar 2017, 16:06
777 See your PM. Its pretty clear but PM if you have questions.

Dropp the Pilot
1st Mar 2017, 17:01
boyo:

Did you depart before age 60? If so, how and when did you get your retiree ID?

777boyo
2nd Mar 2017, 00:18
Dropp

I left just before 60, id card arrived in the mail shortly afterwards, days before 60th birthday if I recall correctly. I had tried to get it issued prior to departure on basis of proximity to 60, but it became something of a battle requiring authority from way up high. They do issue a Service Letter prior to leaving which confirms you were employed, length of service and position - Dargal and Vacations to Go will accept that letter for discount cruises, resorts etc

7B