PDA

View Full Version : Hardened Aircraft Shelterss

terry holloway
26th Feb 2017, 20:55
How interesting to see a1980s HAS in use in the TV programme SS-GB which is based in 1941!

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2017, 20:57
TH,I figured that too. Glad to see some use from them.

terry holloway
26th Feb 2017, 21:34
TH,I figured that too. Glad to see some use from them.
Quite! I wonder where that one was!

Blanket Stacker
26th Feb 2017, 21:39
It seemed wider than normal, unless it was clever camera work. I wondered was it one of the U-2 ones at Alconbury.

MAINJAFAD
27th Feb 2017, 07:03
Most likely Bentwaters, as there is a film production company based there and it has been used for a number of films and TV shows.

MPN11
27th Feb 2017, 07:49
Thanks for confirming my thinking, as I'm not that familiar with HAS :)

As to the programme itself, I get really tired of stuff filmed in almost total darkness :mad:

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
27th Feb 2017, 09:05
Most likely Bentwaters, as there is a film production company based there and it has been used for a number of films and TV shows.
The filming location company is called Bentwaters Parks and there are images of the shelters up on their website ( Hardened Aircraft Hangars - Bentwaters Parks (http://www.bentwatersparks.com/location/hardened-aircraft-hangars/) ). Hopefully these will help ID the ones in the programme.

Although I have watched both episodes so far, I don't find it to be knicker-gripping viewing and the dark (arty-moody) lighting and mumbled dialogue makes it hard to follow what is going on. It had so much potential but seems to have missed the opportunity to make a great TV series.

MPN11
27th Feb 2017, 09:27
Fully agree, SWB. We described it last night as 'pedestrian' and lacking any sense of excitement [except when she got her kit off ;)]

terry holloway
27th Feb 2017, 09:31
It seemed wider than normal, unless it was clever camera work. I wondered was it one of the U-2 ones at Alconbury.
I would be interested to know more about U2 operations at Alconbury. I didn't realise they were HAS based. I had a lot to do with the U2 at Mildenhall in the 70s and 80s and they were in purpose built Hangars there. Ditto at Akrotiri in the early 80s

terry holloway
27th Feb 2017, 09:39
What you were looking at was the 1941 Nazi megastructure design. It took the winners of the real war much longer to get the design right

It is dark because its the Germans. Didn't you know Berlin is still in black and white ...
Hoho! And they don't speak very clearly either!

Davef68
27th Feb 2017, 10:40
Thanks for confirming my thinking, as I'm not that familiar with HAS :)

As to the programme itself, I get really tired of stuff filmed in almost total darkness :mad:
Cheaper as you don't need to decorate the set as fully - same reason so may US dramas have key sequences set at night!

MPN11
27th Feb 2017, 10:52
Cheaper as you don't need to decorate the set as fully - same reason so may US dramas have key sequences set at night!
By the time they finish, especially with my hearing, all I can do is read the sub-titles [if they're large enough!] which makes the entire exercise faintly pointless :)

Pontius Navigator
27th Feb 2017, 12:32
Well just finished two US mini series. Some times I couldn't understand the dialogue but for the large part that dialogue was just space filler.

NutLoose
27th Feb 2017, 12:50
You tend to find they have a long shelf life too, after all the hardened cruise missile stores at Greenham were still in use in Hans Solo's time

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/85/7e/eb/857eeb01b7e0cfb99df4f19b8183c831.jpg

TEEEJ
27th Feb 2017, 13:15
I would be interested to know more about U2 operations at Alconbury. I didn't realise they were HAS based. I had a lot to do with the U2 at Mildenhall in the 70s and 80s and they were in purpose built Hangars there. Ditto at Akrotiri in the early 80s

During the 1980s the TR-1 variant was based at Alconbury.

17th Reconnaissance Wing

The Strategic Air Command arrived at Alconbury on 1 October 1982 when the 17th Reconnaissance Wing (17th RW) was activated. The 17th RW was assigned to SAC's Eighth Air Force, 7th Air Division. The operational squadron of the 17th RW was the 95th Reconnaissance Squadron, flying the TR-1A, a tactical reconnaissance version of the Lockheed U-2. In 1992 all TR-1s were designated U-2Rs.

See more info at following link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Alconbury

Images at following link.

RAF Alconbury (http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/raf_alconbury.htm)

AR1
27th Feb 2017, 13:26
I abandoned it in favour of holiday hunting on the I-Thing. Had I have realised Kit was about to come off, I may have left it on in the background.

Wont be tuning in again.

MPN11
27th Feb 2017, 14:01
I abandoned it in favour of holiday hunting on the I-Thing. Had I have realised Kit was about to come off, I may have left it on in the background.

Wont be tuning in again.
Nothing to see, really.

And the lights were dim :)

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Feb 2017, 19:19
AR1
I banged out this week as well and headed to the I thingy for the last Death in Paradise. No debagging but nevertheless some very nice shots from various aspects ;)

barnstormer1968
27th Feb 2017, 19:53
NutLoose
I thought those scenes were filmed at former RAF Caerwent.

NutLoose
28th Feb 2017, 09:08
Nope
More footage of 'Greenham's role' in latest Star Wars film emerges online - Newbury Weekly News (http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/16673/More-footage-of--Greenham-s.html)

116i
7th Mar 2017, 16:13
What I can tell you is those doors dont stop for Land Rovers! Trust me....it cost me a week of my life!

Bob Viking
7th Mar 2017, 21:22
Nutloose.

You're right about the location but your chronology is way off. Han solo lived a long time ago. Quite some distance from here as it happens.

BV

Dark Helmet
8th Mar 2017, 09:07
@116i Indeed they don't. Not even for a 'Bread' van.

NutLoose
8th Mar 2017, 10:37
And those ones that drop down and you taxy over, make a real mess of your pushbike when you leave it resting up against the door..

k3k3
8th Mar 2017, 10:41
If you reverse at speed in a J2 the door stop will come through the back window and leave you hanging there...

langleybaston
8th Mar 2017, 10:42
We have given up on SS GB.

By the way, there are HASs used in the old Ultimate Force or whatever the SAS thingy was.
Shurely none at "where they are based" are there?

Wander00
8th Mar 2017, 13:11
T-H - greetings
W
formerly of Ely

NutLoose
8th Mar 2017, 14:38
If you reverse at speed in a J2 the door stop will come through the back window and leave you hanging there... And I can also confirm the door locking bars on a HAS can slice through both the inner and outer skins of a bowsers tank full of fuel ..... I can also confirm a Flight Sgt with a sandbag is no Little Dutch Boy... however he did try, even though the hole was longer than the said bag by some margin.. :E

Cornish Jack
8th Mar 2017, 17:43
Perhaps noone else is old enough to notice that the 1940s Jaguar (Episode 1) had TWIN rear lights!!:* Probably sealed beam headlights instead of P100s as well? Very forward looking, were Jags!!:rolleyes: