PDA

View Full Version : Basic flying skills and knowledge.

CaptainChipotle
23rd Feb 2017, 10:58
Well chaps, another gentle reminder and private pilots lesson in our weekly newsletter.

Thank you for the pictures of the touchdown zone, aiming point, and end touchdown zone. Again.

Im assuming that's for the generation of Instagramers and flyingDutchies. Pictures are helpful, but it's harder when you don't post pictures of yourself.

Sorry for the rant fellas, but runway diagrams are covered in the private pilot/instrument handbook. I'm losing faith in my fellow aviators by the day...

Safe flying for all. And you might as well look good doing it! And post a damn photo already!

Trader
23rd Feb 2017, 11:13
Well, they used to haul guys in for long landings. Then they had an accident. So this covers them nicely by ensuring the re-emphasize that it is YOUR decision. As it should be.

nolimitholdem
23rd Feb 2017, 11:15
I'm losing faith in my fellow aviators by the day...

Ahh, spotted your initial error. :{

The Outlaw
23rd Feb 2017, 11:15
Careful CC,

Harry will get his shorts in a twist if you make disparaging and hurtful remarks. He's a little over-sensitive about these things for some reason and you stand to open yourself to a meaningless tirade.

WOW..."Instagrammer" and "flyingDutchie"...harsh...very harsh!

nolimitholdem
23rd Feb 2017, 11:38
I'm guessing some of these more sensitive sorts were never in the military or similar fraternal organizations where you routinely gave affectionately pejorative, often obscenely colourful nicknames to your comrades. Particularly when they did things things arguably jeer-worthy, like, oh, I dunno, rhapsodizing about one's employer. Or needing an illustrated how-to guide to landing an aircraft as an airline pilot.

I guess those day are long gone, but it does strike me as odd as I'm pretty sure I'm closer in age to Generation Snowflake than Harry is.

SmilingKnifed
4th Mar 2017, 13:34
Valid points nolimit, but in our military we tended to deliver the banter face to face and not via anonymous internet forums.

nolimitholdem
5th Mar 2017, 02:06
Yes, it's true the internet is not exactly the same as your military. Well spotted. :) But with a fragmented, global operation like an international airline there is no traditional crew room or mess hall to exchange banter. This is it, sad as it is.

As to the anonymity, for every jibe, there is equal potential for anonymous heroes to rush in and offer equally "valid" defense and rebuttal. I call it a draw.

With regards to my own criteria, I only ever offer opinion I would be more than willing to express in person to someone's face. The fact that geography and circumstance make that difficult is beside the point.