PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 ATC - Digestive System

bdpj
22nd Feb 2017, 16:51
Hello,

I have Crohn disease for 6 years. I take Remicade® (Infliximab) for 4 years now, each 2 months and all is going well.

Could I get the EASA Class 3 with this disease ? As Remicade® is seen as an "heavy treatment", would I be able to get EASA Class 3 ?

Should I ask to my doctor to write a report about my case prior to going to the medical examination ?

Would there be some delay to get the medical licence do to my disease ?

Thanks for your answers.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_44184819a.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=44184819a.jpg)

gingernut
22nd Feb 2017, 20:12
bdpy, I think it is a "DMARD" which is quite a powerful drug, that has the ability to cause a whole host of potential adverse effects.

I'm not an AME, but I'm guessing that that the authorities will be interested in several things: Is the underlying condition stable ? Has it resulted in incapacitating episodes ? How often do exacerbation's occur ? What was the result of those exacerbations ? (eg hospitalisation/time off work)

The medicine itself can be quite toxic, to some people. The fact that you are stable goes in your favour. I'm guessing that you are carefully monitored, in terms of blood tests. Your quack should quite easily be able to print off your results. LFT's, U+E's and FBC's (white cells and neutrophils) will be of interest to the AME's. Try and print out the "reference ranges" (limits of normal) as AME's, despite being well educated, sometimes need you to lead them to the answers !

If all are stable, then I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

bdpj
23rd Feb 2017, 08:15
Thank you ! 😊

bdpj
14th Apr 2017, 10:18
Hello,

I went to my medical Class 3 initial a few days ago. All went well at the beginning (eyes, ears, lung,...) until I saw the AME. He looked at my folder and when he saw "crohn disease", he said that he had to send my folder to the Licence Delivery Authority because he couldn't take a decision himself about my disease. He said that I should be considered as fit but he said that Infliximab/Remicade has many side effects though... I gave him a report written by my gastro-enterologist + a report from my school which says that I've never missed a day of school due to my disease.

I don't know what to think... I have to start my ATC training in +- 20 days :{

gingernut
14th Apr 2017, 10:59
The AME is covering his are.

Keep us informed and good luck.

Phororhacos
15th Apr 2017, 19:32
actual regs are here...

Applicants with an established diagnosis or history of chronic inflammatory bowel disease may be assessed as fit if the disease is in established stable remission, and only minimal, if any, medication is being taken. Regular follow-up should be required.

Phororhacos
15th Apr 2017, 19:44
In the UK Infliximab is sometimes allowed with a multicrew limitation for pilots.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Gastrointestinal/Medication-used-in-GI-conditions/

I do not know about Belgium, nor about the situation for an initial ATCO medical. It may depend on the state of issue.

Gingernut posts "The AME is covering his are. (sic). Keep us informed and good luck." I think Gingernut may be misinformed about the duties of an AME performing an initial Euro Class 3 medical. It seems to me that your AME is doing exactly what he is obliged to do by the EASA regulations in referring this decision to the Aeromedical section of the licensing authority.

As set out here... https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/faq/content/documents/official-documents/2015-08-easa-cl3-atco-medical-requirements.pdf see p 137

if the applicant does not meet the applicable medical requirements or if the fitness of the
applicant is in doubt:
(i) refer the decision on medical fitness to the licensing authority as indicated in
ATCO.MED.B.001;

Like Gingernut, I also hope all works out for you.

Edited for clarification.

bdpj
24th Apr 2017, 21:16
I get it :E

They just put a limitation on my licence : I have to bring a Gastroenterological report at each renewal exam.

Thanks all for your help :ok:

Phororhacos
25th Apr 2017, 05:29
good news..well done.