PDA

View Full Version : Korean Air road show dates ME

bia botal
21st Feb 2017, 12:26
For those who have not had the the opportunity to view a roadshow from Korean Air, here are the dates.

Abu Dhabi Roadshow (Registration not required)

- Date : 15 Mar 2017
- Morning session : 10:00~12:30 - Afternoon session : 15:00~17:30
- Venue : Al Raha Beach Hotel, Abu Dhabi

Dubai Roadshow (Registration not required)

- Date : 16MAR and 17MAR
- Morning session : 10:00~12:30 - Afternoon session : 15:00~17:30
- Venue : Sheraton Creek Hotel, Dubai.

Joker11
21st Feb 2017, 12:39
Pilots only or also ground staff?

bia botal
23rd Feb 2017, 14:46
Pilots only or also ground staff?

Pilot only!

natops
23rd Feb 2017, 16:11
I am going 👍🏻

The Turtle
24th Feb 2017, 07:34
Pretty impressive turnout that last roadshow... The morning session I attended was so crowded, guys were standing against the back wall!

fliion
24th Feb 2017, 07:58
They need to up the $.

Plenty going to Hainan who would otherwise prefer KAL - but low teens v. low 20's - is a tough sell for many.

fatbus
24th Feb 2017, 09:49
KE stands behind their commute policy as the big selling feature vs others 20/10 travel on the 10

Trader
24th Feb 2017, 10:19
At the moment pilots with UAE licenses cant go to China since the GCAA is taking too long to verify the licenses.

Count von Altibar
24th Feb 2017, 11:05
I've heard that the GCAA have screwed up a couple of guys licence verification and they got subsequently got rejected by KAL after resigning from EK. Not a pleasurable situation to be in. Buyer beware

BANANASBANANAS
24th Feb 2017, 11:48
I've heard that the GCAA have screwed up a couple of guys licence verification and they got subsequently got rejected by KAL after resigning from EK. Not a pleasurable situation to be in. Buyer beware

Make sure you have got your GCAA licence privileges transferred onto your EASA or FAA licence before you apply. Then apply using your EASA or FAA licence.

The transfer process is quite straightforward for EASA.

777AV8R
24th Feb 2017, 14:32
I worked there for 8 years on 777. Best commuting contract on the planet. No, money might not be high but if you value family time, this works well. They never violated my days off in those 8

777AV8R
24th Feb 2017, 14:34
I worked there for 8 years on 777. Best commuting contract on the planet. No, money might not be high but if you value family time, this works well. They never violated my days off in those 8 years.

Emma Royds
24th Feb 2017, 23:26
At the moment pilots with UAE licenses cant go to China since the GCAA is taking too long to verify the licenses.
How convenient for EK! Perhaps someone in a lofty position has had a quiet word with the regulator to arrange such 'delays'?

I think the moral of the story here is don't apply using your GCAA licence.

Jetjock330
6th Mar 2017, 13:31
It's looking busy in the Capital soon (https://osmaviation.com/b737-pilot-roadshow-dubai-abu-dhabi/):

B737 Pilot Roadshow – General Information

You are invited to the Norwegian/OSM Aviation Boeing 737 Pilot Roadshow in Dubai (25th of March) and Abu Dhabi (27th of March).
The Pilot Roadshow is open to all pilots and family who would like to know more about this award winning and exciting company.
The Norwegian/OSM Aviation Boeing 737 Pilot Roadshow is an open information session where all your questions will be answered.
Come and see the many opportunities that are offered to First Officers and Direct Entry Captains in Norwegian’s fast expanding network.
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REGISTER IN THE FORM BELOW.
B737 Pilot Roadshow – Dubai

When:

25th of March 2017 (two presentations; 10.00 and 13.00)

Where:

Le Meridien Dubai Hotel and Conference Centre – Le Meridien Fairway
POBox 10001, Dubai UAE
Tel +971 4 2170000

Who:

Open for everyone, but you need to register below

B737 Pilot Roadshow – Abu Dhabi

When:

27th of March 2017 (two presentations; 10.00 and 13.00)

Where:

Khalidiya Palace Rayhaan by Rotana
POBox 4010, Abu Dhabi UAE
Tel +971 2 65701686

Who:

Open for everyone, but you need to register below

felixthecat
7th Mar 2017, 05:44
Hong Kong Airlines also over in June looking for pilots.......

blood is in the water!

TooLow
7th Mar 2017, 05:57
Was there a Norwegian roadshow in DBX for the 787 positions? Seem to remember reading something but can't find the thread.

Thanks

Jetjock330
7th Mar 2017, 13:28
OSMaviation does the recruitment for Norwegian. All the same thing really (https://www.facebook.com/osmaviation/)!
I hope that answers your question :ok:

Emma Royds
7th Mar 2017, 13:36
Thread drift I know but worth pointing out for those that don't know that MK is now at OSM following on from his tenure at EK, should anyone be interested.

thrustidle74
8th Mar 2017, 03:08
Thread drift I know but worth pointing out for those that don't know that MK is now at OSM following on from his tenure at EK, should anyone be interested.

I heard that too, could anyone PM me his contact details please? Just need to talk to an insider to clarify a couple of issues wrt my EU/UK residency status.

Cheers

TI74

Emma Royds
8th Mar 2017, 06:12
I heard that too, could anyone PM me his contact details please? Just need to talk to an insider to clarify a couple of issues wrt my EU/UK residency status.

Cheers

TI74
Just type his name and OSM into Google (or any search engine of your choice).

(Sorry for thread drift...)

EK380
8th Mar 2017, 06:55
It proofs again that having a valid license outside the UAE is vital; especially "before" one resigns! Know of two guys over the last few months that had serious validation issues with the GCAA.

GET YOUR LICENSES IN ORDER IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY NOW! It might cost a bit of money to keep a valid type rating in order, but believe me it is cheap insurance the day you need it.

thrustidle74
8th Mar 2017, 08:34
Just type his name and OSM into Google (or any search engine of your choice).

(Sorry for thread drift...)

Although I google every single stupid thing you can imagine, never thought about this.
Worked like a charm!

Thanks
TI74

Fear_of_heights
18th Mar 2017, 06:12
I worked there for 8 years on 777. Best commuting contract on the planet. No, money might not be high but if you value family time, this works well. They never violated my days off in those 8 years.

Would you mind giving us some details about Korean ? How many actual days you spend back home ? 3-4 trips a month? Can you request 11 days at the end of a month followed by 11 at the beginning of the next one ? Any Info from ex EK drivers would be highly appreciated comparing lifestyles.

natops
20th Mar 2017, 14:41
Did any new info come from the roadshow?

Apart from what we know from Rishworth?

Plank Cap
21st Mar 2017, 03:39
Well don't know if you'd call it new, but one ex-EK Captain now working for Korean gave a little presentation on the day, and is more than happy with his new life in Seoul, and his 11 consecutive days a month at home. He confirmed that ex EK guys are well thought of by Korean (they've probably all still got the big EK-Escape smile on!) and the company is very happy to take more from DXB. Particularly from those airlines that don't seem to comprehend the concept of quality of life.

It was stated that no ex-EK guy has ever failed to get on line with Korean, after joining. Typical medical failure rate about 5% of new joiners, and pay during training reduced by about 20% from normal approx. 3-5 months to get on line after arriving in Seoul. Screening process (in Seoul) can be split up should one be lacking in sufficient consecutive days off to do it all in one go.....

Money not the best, but lifestyle would seem to suit many. Reverse basing was also discussed, though it would appear KE are aiming to have most folks commute (9 days off per month, + 2 leave days, + 3 travel days = 14 days off the job, which achieves 11 consecutive days at home). Some KE expats have over 20 years service.

Good luck to all who may wish to go for it.

bringbackthe80s
21st Mar 2017, 13:36
Thanks for the info.
Just playing devil' s advocate here, but how exactly is 11 days at home (using annual leave) and 18 days at work every month good lifestyle? All of this with major jetlags.
I am sure it works for people and there's many worse deals around, and I'm sure they have great airplanes to fly. But is the 11 days at home really the selling point?

Just trying to get the general views here, but I'd be more attracted to moving my family to a nice expat enviroment with decent enough rosters and get on with it.

Plank Cap
21st Mar 2017, 14:16
You are of course correct that 11 days at home may or may not be everybody's idea of a good lifestyle. The words 'good lifestyle' here are totally subjective, depending on one's expectations, and current or previous working patterns.

My previous post above is by nature somewhat brief, and more feel-good factors were mentioned at the roadshow. The timing of the block days off is routinely adjustable by negotiation between rostering and the crew member, and allegedly it seems possible to arrange one's time off to coincide with family holidays, birthdays etc. There was a claim that home time for Christmas and birthdays is rarely ever missed. On the B777, nil night turns, and layovers for almost any duration of sector, even after a 90 minute hop to Japan.

The 11 days off may suit those guys perhaps who don't have to travel too far, or cross too many time zones to get home. Perhaps Seoul is better positioned for those commuting to the east coast of Australia, to New Zealand or living in South East Asia.

It's not Nirvana, but it is an alternative. As you say, you are looking for "a nice expat environment with decent enough rosters". (That certainly rules out the Middle East in general, as any concept of good lifestyle is long gone.) Please feel free to post on here when you find one that works!

DesiPilot
21st Mar 2017, 20:08
Thanks for the info.
Just playing devil' s advocate here, but how exactly is 11 days at home (using annual leave) and 18 days at work every month good lifestyle? All of this with major jetlags.
I am sure it works for people and there's many worse deals around, and I'm sure they have great airplanes to fly. But is the 11 days at home really the selling point?

Just trying to get the general views here, but I'd be more attracted to moving my family to a nice expat enviroment with decent enough rosters and get on with it.

I've been with KE for a bit over 5 years now. In those five years I have not missed a single birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring and fall break or any other time my family needed me home. Yes, you get 11 days off a month, but you choose which 11 days off you want and KE builds your schedule around your requested days off.

It may not be much, but ask all the pilots in ME whose families has had enough of ME and wanted to move back home; it is a blessing for them. I guess 11 days at home are a lot better then living away all the time. Having said that, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Living out of suitcase for 16 days gets old very fast, and jet lag is something you have to cope with every month if you live in EU or US.

globalexpat
22nd Mar 2017, 05:17
I'm not convinced that moving to Korea will be in the best interest of my famil either, 11 days off or not .
Not when there is a nut job North of the DMZ with his nukes pointing South & with Trump rattling his cage.

TOGA!
22nd Mar 2017, 14:16
commuting sucks no matter which airline you fly for

been there done it (same time zone) for over 12 years, never again

people seem to overlook poor pay at Korean to just commute home. this may be OK for the first 6 months but after that, you will not be happy with poor pay and living out of a suitcase.

good luck

Bindair Dundat
22nd Mar 2017, 16:50
If you are someone who places money above everything else then, no, Korean is not for you. There are better paying gigs out there. However as you should be painfully aware, that money comes at an extreme cost. If you are still residing in the M E then clearly you will put up with a lot of $@it to claim a 'tax free' salary that has not kept pace. If you're never home and flying the back side of the clock living in an expensive polluted city with a toxic mindset how does 'living out of a suitcase' for 17 days a month become a death sentence when compared to the sewer you wade through daily?

Emma Royds
23rd Mar 2017, 01:45
commuting sucks no matter which airline you fly for

been there done it (same time zone) for over 12 years, never again

people seem to overlook poor pay at Korean to just commute home. this may be OK for the first 6 months but after that, you will not be happy with poor pay and living out of a suitcase.

good luck

Remember that there are some of us that would be in a low or no tax situation with KAL and if you have the home paid off and living debt free along with cheaper living costs than in the UAE, 14K USD (50K AED) can go quite far.

Cloudchase.r
23rd Mar 2017, 20:09
Yeah, yeah... The grass is always greener on the other side! Isn't it...

777-200LR
24th Mar 2017, 00:28
If you are someone who places money above everything else then, no, Korean is not for you. There are better paying gigs out there. However as you should be painfully aware, that money comes at an extreme cost. If you are still residing in the M E then clearly you will put up with a lot of $@it to claim a 'tax free' salary that has not kept pace. If you're never home and flying the back side of the clock living in an expensive polluted city with a toxic mindset how does 'living out of a suitcase' for 17 days a month become a death sentence when compared to the sewer you wade through daily?

Polluted city? Have you tried Beijing or HKG?

Bindair Dundat
24th Mar 2017, 02:30
Polluted city? Have you tried Beijing or HKG?

I wouldn't live there either. Difference is those cities post pollution levels.....UAE doesn't. Particulate in the ME is often just as bad and worse as Asian cities given time of year and weather conditions. Given the choice, I'll raise my kids in a place with clean air and food that is grown locally. It's hard to put a price tag on the things these expat posts cannot offer.

Upshitscreek
5th Apr 2017, 14:01
Guys a few things to consider about this mob.. korean air..

1) You will have the run around to get all the docs they need ... They will not give you any docs if you want to leave them ... nothing ..

2)Training is a nightmare .. Makes our guy that went to Qatar and back look like an angel , at least he can fly also.. these guys if you get the wrong one will speak to you like you are a worthless piece of snake sh1t
A guy .. ex EK was failed because he planned for an intersection and took full length ... the point is common sense is not that common here .. ... its a joke seriously , will do your head in..

3)On your contract you are allowed to have travel tickets after sim completion , well try to take them and they get denied , you can be stuck in the hotel between 4-6 months and not allowed to go home even if you have 10-14 days between training flights...

4)there was a German guy here a while back who got super depressed or just more depressed then others about being stuck here .. long story short .. his classmates helped him , the agency looked the other way and just dumped his arse at the end ... his brother had cancer and these idiots did not care ...

5)staff travel is another joke , you only get a few tickets up gradable and the rest are in economy with no upgrade option .... to book the tickets .. is another run around between the office and airport .. where you can spend the whole afternoon or morning to issue them .. after applying days ago.

6)Dont ever think you will get an increase either , they have not given pay rises in 7 years .. and they are not going to either.. the locals are always on strike and nothing changes ..

The locals hates Korean air and they are getting more annoyed with EK guys joining as it does not help them getting an increase... they tell me as i fly with Union guys ... so a pass here will not be guaranteed as they want to prove a point..

7)New email came out today ,.... Korean air advertise you can use your GD travel every month to a different port in the network .... Like you live in LAS and commute there and back ... but because of family over xmas you decide to nominate NY the next month ... Now not allowed anymore you have to go to LAS or you have to buy your own ticket to NY in Y class ...this contract is going to sh1t....

8) The contact company will just tell you all the things they think is good ... when you have an issue with KAL ,the agency will look the other way ... small things like leave , off days which does not add up ...the koreans in the office will tell you to call the agency , so it becomes a huge problem because they know the contract company will not back you .... These girls play the dumb innocent asian girl but will rape your arse with no remorse ....and play dumb with broken english ...

9)They advertise 9 days plus 2 and all these great things but when you get the contract , only like days before you suppose to start here , well it sings a different tune ,,, 6hard days off and 3 soft days , which means when these jokers strike you may only be given 6 days off and not 9 or when you are home they will call you back and if you dont show they take money off your pay again and tells you that you need to monitor the crewlink ... then it becomes you and agent and kal in a ping pong game again ... very unpleasant ..

10)Its a lonely 3 weeks and none of the koreans will mix with you , they dont even mix with each other .. if you love living out of a suitcase will then maybe, but its a horrible life ...its depressing and your family suffers too.

11)dont think for one minute you will fly less .. you will be going up and down over the pacific like no tomorrow , up to 4 times a month .. so they factor too.. you will do up 85-90 with factoring and if you add the travel days will lets say 12 each way thats another 24hrs in a tube... 1st 2 days at home you are so jet lagged and useless and then the 1st 2 days in ICN you are stuffed too...

Its just some of the many things to think about coming here ... In EK you can always call someone or go and see someone or do something about a problem or issue about safety , here there is no support and they do what they want and say its in the contract and its no where to be found and then who do you call ?, and then that guy speaks no english and its just so impossible .. its crazy ..

Lets just say most guys really hate it here and some wants to go back to EK even ... this is not what its advertised and most people feel conned .. another scam ?

think well and very hard ... they money sucks big time and is NOT worth the hassle at all...

With the winds... much of china pollution hits korea too .. some days it thick smog or yellow dust ..

5star
6th Apr 2017, 06:09
yep. cancelled them also from my list because of the above mentioned reasons.. 4 months away from family during training....never ever in my life. yes Korean, I do have a life.

And all the selections and training from scratch after nearly 12 years worldwide ops here on the 777... These guys need to get real....

Good luck to those who make the jump. Not for everyone, especially not when u want to live in Europe....

Panther 88
6th Apr 2017, 11:11
know of a guy who got fired enroute, and didn't know until landing. Two local f/o's did a snitch on him while he was on his break.

HPSOV L
6th Apr 2017, 17:08
It's OK. But I'd suggest try China first. Although most of us plod along for years it's not a healthy life. Maybe better to make some fast cash and semi-retire to a part time job at your local hardware store..

The Crew
10th Apr 2017, 00:20
You would have to be pretty desperate to leave EK for KR. Most go there after getting fired from current employer!

If you do choose it , the points above are all correct. The best place to get info is at the bar in the icheon Hyatt , where there are any number of crew passing the time of day.