PDA

View Full Version : Inzpire & Discovery Air team up for ASDOT bid

chopper2004
20th Feb 2017, 13:34
Discovery Air Defence Services - Discovery Air Defence and Inzpire Join Forces to Deliver Air Support to Defence Operational Training Programme to the British Armed Forces (http://www.discoveryair-ds.com/page?a=1900&lang=en-CA)

I know there is another thread on the Thales / Scorpionjet but this is coming in from a different angle and never know could have more promise?

Cheers

Lyneham Lad
20th Feb 2017, 13:43
Inzpire is a proudly British company and was founded in 2005. As a joint-services organisation with more than 1,000 years of military experience...

The author was obviously feeling very inzpired when writing that! :eek: :ugh:

Rhino power
20th Feb 2017, 14:51
'Inzpire'?! Is it really too much to ask for companies to just simply spell words correctly, instead of trying to come up with stupid sounding (and looking) buzzwords all the time?

-RP

Pontius Navigator
20th Feb 2017, 16:06
TO, I agree too

Avtur
20th Feb 2017, 19:50
Sounds better if you say it with a Cornish accent, just like Jethro.

India Four Two
20th Feb 2017, 19:58
Is it really to much to ask for companies to just simply spell words correctly,

RP,

You mean like QinitiQ? The first time I saw that, I thought "Why would anybody choose a name like Quinity Cue?" :)

How much did they pay someone for the "re-branding?

What was wrong with Kinetic?

drustsonoferp
20th Feb 2017, 20:07
I always thought the name "100 Sqn" was quite good. It's a shame this sort of thing seems to be falling out of vogue.

theonewhoknows
20th Feb 2017, 21:01
Really! Is that it? You don't like the name Inzpire? Get a life.

mrben09
20th Feb 2017, 21:12
Or maybe all the normally spelt words are already trademarked companies ?

EAP86
20th Feb 2017, 21:35
All this emphasis on the 'z'. You would wonder whether someone who was in the MAA is involved.

[For those not in the know, some in the MAA are fanatical about the use of the 'z' in words such as 'specialization' etc.]

EAP

chopper2004
20th Feb 2017, 21:48
'Inzpire'?! Is it really to much to ask for companies to just simply spell words correctly, instead of trying to come up with stupid sounding (and looking) buzzwords all the time?

-RP
Inzpire - Success Through Excellence - Home (http://www.inzpire.com)

A professional company and good bunch of folks who work there as I have encountered them in recent years at the likes of Farnborough.

cheers

Rhino power
20th Feb 2017, 22:22
A professional company and good bunch of folks who work there...

Great, glad to hear it! :) I still don't see the need for the continuing trend of, er, trendy, stupid sounding/looking buzzwords as an excuse for a company name, India Four Two's mention of 'QinetiQ' is another good example!
I know it's all pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, it's just something that irritates me though, I wonder if there's a cream for it?

-RP

MSOCS
21st Feb 2017, 00:53
Rhino Power, relax dude. It's a name.

Rhino power
21st Feb 2017, 01:00
Rhino Power, relax dude...

I am, a couple of snifters of home made rocket fuel have made sure of that... :ok:

-RP

Whenurhappy
21st Feb 2017, 05:15
And might be due to the fact that 'Inspire' is also the name of the in-house magazine of Dae'sh/IS.

Pontius Navigator
21st Feb 2017, 07:03
At least that new word is easily pronounced in English; many of these made up words are not.

On made up names that have been around for decades, how about Kraft?

57mm
21st Feb 2017, 07:36
James L Kraft, a Canadian immigrant, formed the Kraft company in USA in 1909..

Onceapilot
21st Feb 2017, 07:50
Kraft? German word.;)

OAP

Pontius Navigator
21st Feb 2017, 09:02
57, I'll allow you that one. How about amalgamated words then? Serco or Unilever.

KG86
21st Feb 2017, 09:33
Qinetiq - Isn't that what you get when you run out of potential?

Davef68
21st Feb 2017, 10:51
All this emphasis on the 'z'. You would wonder whether someone who was in the MAA is involved.

[For those not in the know, some in the MAA are fanatical about the use of the 'z' in words such as 'specialization' etc.]

Or their spellchecker is set to American

minigundiplomat
21st Feb 2017, 15:55
Inzpire pushed out some marketing guff recently about 'never leaving a man behind' - almost did a little sick in my mouth.

Yep - you're ex-mil, we get it. You're not the Navy SEAL's.

ORAC
21st Feb 2017, 18:52
And might be due to the fact that 'Inspire' is also the name of the in-house magazine of Dae'sh/IS. Are they afraid they'll take them to court in London over trademark infringement?

airpolice
21st Feb 2017, 20:38
KRAFT, some schoolteachers refer to the "hard of thinking" as the KRAFT Children. I used to think it was because they are only good at Crafts rather than Academic subjects.

Can't Remember A ******* Thing is closer to meaning.

DuckDodgers
10th May 2017, 08:00
The message here in Canada is that Discovery Air Defence's Alpha Jets are on a fleet wide grounding. No details forthcoming at this time but it cannot be helping their dyer financial situation.

chopper2004
10th May 2017, 12:50
The message here in Canada is that Discovery Air Defence's Alpha Jets are on a fleet wide grounding. No details forthcoming at this time but it cannot be helping their dyer financial situation.

Oh so they not doing too well financially this segment of the Group or the whiole group which includes a few helicopter companies such as Great Slave, Discovery Chile etc etc.

Is the AJ grounding a tech problem which might mean global grounding such as affecting Armee de l'air fleet etc?

Hope things work out

cheers

SWBKCB
4th Aug 2017, 15:56
Draken have now joined with Cobham to compete on ASDOT

(http://www.cobham.com/aviation-services/special-mission/news/cobham-and-draken-sign-teaming-agreement/)

theonewhoknows
4th Aug 2017, 20:54
Really - for how long? Next week it will be........

Lone Kestrel
7th Aug 2017, 15:11
Ouch!.....

Starbucks Love Child
8th Aug 2017, 18:29
Savvy move by Cobham.

TBM-Legend
8th Aug 2017, 22:11
The message here in Canada is that Discovery Air Defence's Alpha Jets are on a fleet wide grounding.

interesting as they are contracted via Air Affairs [Oz mil provider] for three Alpha Jets for RAAF training..

DuckDodgers
8th Oct 2017, 16:02
More bad news for DADS here in Canada, another fleet-wide grounding of their Alpha Jets due to non-conformation as a result of changes in airworthiness policy issued by Transport Canada early in 2017. This is the second iteration, the first prevented them partaking in much of MAPLE FLAG and rumour has it that they will be lucky to fly again before December; this also effects the 3 aircraft in Australia which are on a trial with the ADF. Page 5 of the link briefly mentions it but look at the corporations balance sheet. Interestingly Shavit is no longer CEO, took his money and ran, but is retained as an advisor for his links to the IDF and IAI to keep pushing that Netz angle.

http://www.discoveryair.com/app/media/2287

Avtur
10th Oct 2017, 12:17
They have been back in the air for a while. Do catch up.

R_Toland
7th Apr 2018, 09:45
Given the buzz behind the 'Red Aces' media frenzy, the accuracy and standard of recent reporting in Shephard's MTSN has slipped some what, i do hope they are not listening to marketing speak. Also, i thought Red Aces was the name of the Philippine Air Force Display Team flying the Macchi S-211?

Firstly this in February 18, my observations in red:

The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has initiated a new phase in the Air Support to Defence Operational Training (ASDOT) programme with the down-select of a Leonardo-led team. – for balance this should state that Babcock/Elbit, Thales/Textron/QinetiQ and Cobham/Draken were down-selected after PQQ. BAE Systems, Boeing and LM did not make it through this stage. The ‘Red Aces’ team, comprised of Leonardo, Top Aces (formerly Discovery Air Defence Services) and Inzpire, is yet to declare which platform it will put forward (#) for the requirement and is expected to be joined by other consortia pursuing the contract. Other contenders for the programme include a bid from Saab which has offered an aggressor variant of its Gripen C aircraft. Modifications to the aircraft would include replacing the platform’s live weapons with simulated missile capabilities and the installation of the company’s PS-05 Mk IV radar. – Saab are not formally part of any consortia that made it through PQQ, the best that can happen here is either a Dry Lease or Purchase, either of which will be too expensive given the budget for the program that has no Capital.Following the collapse of a Babcock-led team (#) in July 2017, which included Cobham Special Missions and Draken International, Babcock announced it had formed a new partnership with Elbit Systems (#). The two companies already have a history of collaboration, working together on the MoD’s Military Flying Training System (#) (MTFS) programme. – The background here is wrong, Babcock walked away from Draken/CAE team before announcing its partnership with Elbit in Q4 2017. Cobham and Draken signed their agreement at RIAT in July 17. While the Leonardo team is yet to declare its chosen platform, the possibilities include the company’s M-346 (#) training aircraft or options from Top Aces’ fleet, such as the IAI Westwind 1124, Dornier Alpha jet and McDonnell Douglas A-4N aircraft. Top Aces has also received approval from the US Department of Defense to acquire ex-US Air Force F-16s. – The M346 is way too expensive, just look at Poland’s acquisition. Top Aces HAS NOT received any approval to acquire F-16 aircraft, they have no Third-Party Transfer (TPT) for those defense articles off of the Department of State, it is also not in the US Foreign policy interest to enable the re-transfer to a Canadian Private Entity. Talking of those aircraft, they put the better part of C$34MM down on ex-IDF F-16 Block 10 acquired under Peace Marble I or IV back in 2014. This is where it gets interesting as this was the Debenture holders investment into Discovery Air Defence Services back in 2013 which they will never get back given Clairvest’s acquisition of Discovery Air, its splitting off of Discovery Air Defence Services from the parent Discovery Air which it saddled with all the debt, hence the name change back to Top Aces in Feb 18 and the recent protection order/restructuring against Discovery Air. The pending legal case in Canada could be interesting. Leonardo’s Airborne and Space division will leverage the company’s simulation background to further its programme effort, while Top Aces boasts on-going contracts to supply fast-jet airborne training services to the Canadian, German and Australian armed forces. – The German competition is due to be re-competed (for a Jan 2020 start). ASDOT will replace the UK’s current live air training activities, provided by Cobham, which use the company’s Falcon 20 aircraft and supply target towing and EW/ECM facilities and airborne threat training. Fast-jet aggressor services are currently provided by Serco. – This has not be been the case since 2013 when 736 NAS reformed due to the shortcomings of the service provision by Serco. The contract is expected to be worth £750 million over 15 years, with the award anticipated for in mid-2019. Service provision is scheduled to commence in January 2020 with full operating capability six months later. – Again, this is not accurate, see below from the updated Tender Notice: Proposed/Estimated ITT Issue Date: 29/06/2018. Proposed/Estimated ITT Return Date: 28/09/2018. Proposed Issue Date of Contract: 31/03/2020. Proposed Completion Date of Contract: 31/03/2035
Then this article in March 18, my observations in red:Discovery Air Defence Services, originally known as Top Aces (#), has reverted to its former name. Although trading as Discovery Air Defence until 1 February, the Top Aces brand was still used in the US. – See reason why above.The company said that it has ‘flown 68,000-plus accident-free flight hours and is the exclusive adversary air provider to the Australian, Canadian, US and German armed forces’. The next couple of years will be important for adversary air or ‘red air’ service providers in that the US Air Force, US Navy, US Marine Corps and UK MoD all have major requirements. In the US, the US Air Force now plans to contract an additional 5,600 hours on top of the 42,000 hours specified in its RFI that was issued to industry in July 2016. – this is not entirely true, the 5,600hrs is for Nellis ADAIR Phase 2 starting in October 2018 to prevent a capability gap until the larger CAF ADAIR Program, that now includes Contractor Close Air Support of some 11,500hrs, comes online in Fiscal Year 2022 which is iro $6BN over 10 years. Known as AdAir, the US Air Force programme is expected to be worth $280 million in the first base year. The contract will then likely call for annual extensions for four years. – this is Neliis ADAIR Phase 2, and $280MM is over the 5 years starting in Fiscal Year 19. ‘2018 is a very exciting year for Top Aces and the global adversary air industry,’ said Paul Bouchard, president. ‘This rebrand builds on our proud history [and] it aligns our geographical brands into one to provide the world’s most advanced adversary air solutions to prepare Western aircrews for today’s new threats.’ – Then why has Garry Venman left? The US AdAir programme calls for an aircraft that is capable of M=1.5, has a radar and is fitted with countermeasures, and that specification requires competitors to source 4th generation combat aircraft. – Again, not entirely accurate, there are 3 categories of aircraft attributes with capability exchange criteria. It’s far more complex than this and real thought has been put into it by the USAF. Do you really need an aircraft that can do an instantaneous turn of >15deg/s sec at 15,000ft or can you achieve the perceived advantage by other means? The company currently flies A-4N Skyhawks and AlphaJets (pictured) and so is now ‘preparing to introduce the next generation of adversary services using advanced 4th generation supersonic aggressor aircraft’. Shephard understands these to be former US DoD F-16s. – Again inaccurate, they are ex-IDF Block 10s of the Peace Marble I or IV batch. They’ve been marketing this for 5 years now and its getting boring.
One of Top Aces competitors for the US AdAir requirement, US-based Draken International (#), has recently signed a deal with Denel to procure 12 Atlas Cheetah supersonic fighters; nine single-seat Cheetah C and three tandem-seat D variants.This follows an earlier order By Draken for 22 Mirage F1s previously used by the Spanish Air Force and an order for 63 Mirage F-1s from ATAC (#) in September last year. The US red air requirements are going to be highly contested programmes. It is clear that companies such as Top Aces, Draken International and ATAC are now jockeying for position for a head start in what will be a very tight race. – No mention of Tactical Air Support Inc which is surprising.

Rigga
7th Apr 2018, 23:23
ASDA - Associated Diaries - A bunch of dairy farmers who got together
TESCO - Terry Stevens Company
AMSTRAD SEAT FIAT VOLVO ABBA - etc.

All well known non-words - New non-words arrive every day

TBM-Legend
7th Apr 2018, 23:36
What's Red Adair got to do with this? I thought he put out fires at oil wells not wheel wells!

NutLoose
8th Apr 2018, 18:10
ASDA - Associated Diaries - A bunch of dairy farmers who got together
TESCO - Terry Stevens Company
AMSTRAD SEAT FIAT VOLVO ABBA - etc.

All well known non-words - New non-words arrive every day

Amstrad, was short for Alan Michael Sugar TRADing

SEAT are the intials for Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo

Can't be bothered to list the others.

charliegolf
9th Apr 2018, 07:28
ASDA do a nice little line in office supplies.

CG

57mm
9th Apr 2018, 15:03
I can do FIAT for you:

Fix It Again Tony........

AnglianAV8R
10th Apr 2018, 19:59
FORD: Fix Or Repair Daily

ALITALIA: Aircraft Landed In Turin, All Luggage In Athens

Rigga
11th Apr 2018, 19:21
I am enormously happy that my little input has changed the world...yet again!-)

Wander00
12th Apr 2018, 13:23
Or Lotus - Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious

SWBKCB
26th Sep 2020, 07:57
The MoD has scrapped the Air Support to Defence Operational Training (ASDOT) programme.

ASDOT would have seen British pilots trained against jets supplied by industry partners, however the contract has now been halted with no winner selected.

A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said:

“We received a number of industry proposals in response to the ASDOT invitation to negotiation. We will now re-assess the parameters for the programme.”

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/ministry-of-defence-scrap-asdot-programme/

So ASDOT was dropped in 2019. Cobham now reporting a new MOD contract, anybody know what this is?

Spike Jepson, Cobham VP of Flight Operations said: “To have secured another long-term contract with the UK MOD is really exciting and it is testament to the hard work, skill and dedication of our team. It has enabled us to make further significant investments in infrastructure, technology and staff numbers which is fabulous for the business and great for the local area.”

https://www.teessideinternational.com/cobham-aviation-confirms-long-term-future-at-teesside-airport/

Hot 'n' High
26th Sep 2020, 08:22
So ASDOT was dropped in 2019. Cobham now reporting a new MOD contract, anybody know what this is?

Just a continuation of Cobham/FR support which has been going on and evolving for decades - even back to Hunters and Canberras at Yeovil back in the 1970's - and probably before then. :ok:

I believe ASDOT was going to be on a whole new level. I was not involved but knew people who were so I don't know details, just it was a big project to change the world.