PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways job offer in NYC

OldVirus
17th Feb 2017, 16:37
Hi guys,

I need some help and there's not much information out there online. Or at least information I couldn't find from my many hours of searching Google and Glassdoor.

I just got a job offer for Qatar based in NYC for a Senior role. Regional Direct Sales & Ecommerce manager for the Americas. Based on the title and responsibilities of the job, I expected a high salary at least 130K (it's also NYC so super expensive to live). They are offering only 100K. They are telling me no negotiations possible.
Can anyone from the airline industry offer any insight if this is a decent offer? I know airlines tend to offer lower salaries, but this low for such an expensive city like NYC.

Thank you so much! Your advice is highly appreciated by my family and I.

Obbie
18th Feb 2017, 16:01
I think you already answered your own question.
Tell them the pay is insufficient, and no thank you.

WilliamBrantree
21st Feb 2017, 01:53
Doesnt hurt to try and ask for the salary number you desire. I am sure they can factor in something else to substatiate what you require.

Granted this is all from experience at previous companies. Wouldnt know anything about QR though. All I have to say is best of luck!

mmorel
21st Feb 2017, 13:24
I was wondering if they also provide you tax free 100K or you have to pay your tax?

Also do you get education allowance for your children from qatar Airways?

bringbackthe80s
21st Feb 2017, 13:33
I' m sure the IRS would be extremely pleased with him not paying any taxes

Ghost_Rider737
21st Feb 2017, 13:35
8k USD per month gross isn't bad considering you are just starting out. Live outside the city and commute.

You should net around 6k. i think it's liveable. do you have a family ?

WilliamBrantree
23rd Feb 2017, 00:15
I was wondering if they also provide you tax free 100K or you have to pay your tax?

Also do you get education allowance for your children from qatar Airways?
I am sure if he or she is applying for a position within the United States, he or she would have to pay taxes.

casablanca
23rd Feb 2017, 14:43
If you are not a permanent resident in Qatar ( or away from USA for 330 days) you will not receive tax exemption on first 100 K

londoneasyjetboi
24th Feb 2017, 04:39
You need to look at QR's whole package - are you given tax benefits (ie QR pays for it), housing and transport allowances, school fee reimbursement, medical cover?

I get all of this being based at the hub, including allowances, I am at about 80% of that offer, but not senior at all... just a small potato.

QR are, unfortunately, very restrictive of their salaries, you are allocated a grade (1-12) and there is a very small range. To go above that range would require a re-title. Regional Director should be Grade 10 I believe.

I personally think you are being low balled there, but our HR is rubbish and doesnt understand market rates for services.

Having said that, Doha is sh*t place to live so they have to pay more to get people to come here - if it weren't for the salary I certainly wouldn't be here.

100k is on the low side, but there's no way you'll get you 130k - as another poster has said, try negotiating then if no movement just say no. Its a hard thing to do but if they want you they'll make an offer.

Random musings here, but another thing to consider if 100k is less than what you already earn, if that's the case, move on, and airline isn't that good... yes there's the staff travel and travel industry discounts, but its not worth a paycut. Now, if you are not earning 100k already and it is a payrise, perhaps should consider it. Any increase is better than none at all.

Another point to note is payrises generally only happen on commencement of a newer higher graded job... as I said, HR is rubbish here.

umberto65
24th Feb 2017, 05:00
The role is not as senior as you think... 100k is about right

londoneasyjetboi
4th Mar 2017, 07:04
shame the OP didnt come back with more info/updates.

Cantbebothered
4th Mar 2017, 07:14
Dont be flattered by titles. A janitor is called a custodial engineer etc...all just ego boosters to deflect from average to low salaries. You will be a sales manager and that is a normal salary for an international sales manager in US.