PDA

View Full Version : Lost russian military heli

hoss183
16th Feb 2017, 17:00
Helicopter pilot lands to ask for directions in Kazakhstan - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38996750)
:rolleyes:

Vovick
16th Feb 2017, 18:12
Why Russian?

Nubian
16th Feb 2017, 18:21
Why Russian?

I'd say if he was russian and landed in Kazakstan to ask for directions..... he was a bit lost..:E

krypton_john
16th Feb 2017, 18:25
Russian as in manufacture perhaps rather than operator.

Don't they have google maps over there?

peterperfect
16th Feb 2017, 21:01
"The crewmember" surely ?
And, in light of the weather, looks like a good decision to land on a contrasting surface (the road) and wait for the blizzard to move through.
Anyone dispute that ?

No story, move on there nothing to see.

Good Vibs
16th Feb 2017, 21:30
Good plan. Big Deal!
How many times did we all read the village names on the road signs back when we were flying CH-34's in the German ADIZ!
Better safe than sorry.

Modtro
16th Feb 2017, 21:53
Sorry, just had to say it...

Seems to be a textbook IFR flight as my instructor used to call it... (I Follow Roads)!

Old Photo.Fanatic
16th Feb 2017, 22:51
Reminds me of when I was a pax. in a pair of Wessex flying from Odium to Biggin Hill for the Battle of Britain Air show in 1964.

It was quite foggy and flying over the Hogs Back, the Wessex I was in went down to a roundabout to read the road signs to help in direction to BH.!!!

We made it ok, and for the record it was one of the best Air shows I have attended.

3 airworthy Mosquitos on the ground, from the filming of 633 Sqn.
All 3 V Bombers and the RAF Yellowjacks , to name just a few.

OPF

BOBAKAT
17th Feb 2017, 00:09
Last time, the ATC say :i will help you : "follow the highway and give me the first village name road exit sign you read ".

Me : OK : "ausgang" ;)

chuks
17th Feb 2017, 10:36
I was looking for a bush strip on a very hazy day in the middle of nowhere, Nigeria, pre-GPS, when I finally had to give up and go to Makurdi, the nearest place I knew how to find, hard to miss because it's sited right on the Benue River.

When I got there I found a Nigeria Air Force fighter pilot wearing a spiffy grey leather flight jacket, even though it was 30º in the shade. He told me to follow the road south and to look for a hill that "sticks out like a dog's balls" and then to hang a right to follow the road that led to the Benue Cement airstrip at Gboko.

By God that hill did stick out "like a dog's balls," too!

hoss183
17th Feb 2017, 14:05
By God that hill did stick out "like a dog's balls," too!

Well we think that GPS navigation is the mutt's nuts these days, but you prove it was done by those nuts ;)

Vertical Freedom
18th Feb 2017, 06:34
standard operating procedures in the Himalayas :8 especially monsoon :{