PDA

View Full Version : Training to be a helicopter Pilot

akfnqwicvbouq
15th Feb 2017, 18:48
Hi
I am interested in becoming a helicopter pilot and wonder if some of you more experienced guys might help me along the way :)

First off, there's (as always) the matter of cost. I've done some research, and as it seems, its a lot cheaper to train in the US instead of Europe (where i live). In Europe I believe it costs around a 100 000 USD for everything, or am I wrong? But what exactly is the price in the US? I've only found some suspiciously low figures...

Secondly, how good are the job prospects (or should I say: how bad)?

Bravo73
15th Feb 2017, 20:06
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/122944-faq-training-employment-prospects-please-read-before-posting.html

Sir Korsky
16th Feb 2017, 17:29
If your intent is to feed a family from this occupation, then forget it. The low oil price has pretty much decimated the industry. Pilots with jobs are staying in them longer and it's become more difficult to move around. If you don't have a network of buddies to call on if you get laid off, then you may find yourself unemployed for quite a while. Experienced pilots, those with 4000 hours plus should be able to keep food on the table right now, but that's for guys within the USA. Outside, things may be much worse. If you have another source of income, then go for it. It certainly beats working in an office.

16th Feb 2017, 18:08
Join the military and get paid to learn.