PDA

View Full Version : Latest on the AW 609?

stilton
12th Feb 2017, 04:14
I haven't heard any news on this very interesting and seemingly capable aircraft
in some time, any one have information ?

Further insights and opinions welcome.

skadi
12th Feb 2017, 07:30
I haven't heard any news on this very interesting and seemingly capable aircraft
in some time, any one have information ?

Further insights and opinions welcome.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/aw609-prepares-for-icing-trials-as-flight-tests-resu-434022/

skadi

stilton
13th Feb 2017, 05:13
Thanks SK but that link doesn't work.

skadi
13th Feb 2017, 06:22
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/aw609-prepares-for-icing-trials-as-flight-tests-resu-434022/

skadi

stilton
14th Feb 2017, 05:41
Thanks for that, although not much information there.

Any more insights and opinions welcome.

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2017, 07:09
I was excited about the 609 project when I first heard about it and was very keen to get a chance to fly it. But that was in about 1979, not long after the start of my flying career. I'm not convinced I'm ever going to get the chance; my wife keeps telling me it's time to book me into the local care home......

Vertical Freedom
15th Feb 2017, 02:55
Yaaar back in the mid Eighties when I was doing my theory for CPL(H) the Teacher told the class....we'd be flying this Baby by the time we are licensed, because this WAS the future :8 Not sure which future he was referring too :eek: almost 30 years later........................still waiting :ugh:

SASless
15th Feb 2017, 03:41
Shy....same here....and having both Fixed and Helicopter ATPL....was sat there thinking Beech King Air's would be a thing of the past when the 609 came into being. But then....its bigger brother started way back in the 1950's and took almost forty years for it to make it out onto the Tarmac.

riff_raff
16th Feb 2017, 03:33
The AW609 is indeed a very elegant aircraft design. Unfortunately, for the commercial market it faces some hurdles. The total number of customers for this particular rotorcraft is a bit limited. Hard to justify the huge investment required given the limited potential production numbers.

noooby
16th Feb 2017, 17:19
Limited potential production of this model, but once the tech is proven, why not upscale? Perhaps that is the end game?
There still seems to be customer interest and orders confirmed. Enough to break even? Who knows. But enough that Leonardo think it worth moving forward with. Perhaps the 15 pax AW709 (I'm making that up!) will sell more frames and offset the losses (if any) from the AW609 program.
Kind of like how the 189 borrowed a lot from the 139 (as did the 169).

tottigol
17th Feb 2017, 02:26
Nooby, you may want to review that last sentence.:rolleyes:

noooby
17th Feb 2017, 16:58
Why? The cockpit of the 189 and 169 are modeled off of the 139. The dynamic component layout is also taken from the 139 and modified for the 189 (which is one reason why the MR Lag Damper issue affects the 139 AND the 189). The 139 is the first AW member of the new "family". Words taken from Leonardo themselves. I'm not saying that the 169 or 189 will make more money than the 139. The 189 certainly won't. The market for that size helo is not as big as the 139 market.

So what needs to be reviewed????

tottigol
18th Feb 2017, 12:11
I'll PM you.

OldblokeTH53
11th May 2017, 09:33
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flawed-flight-control-logic-triggered-aw609s-in-fli-437084/

Props hit wings!

atakacs
11th May 2017, 10:48
Not good :rolleyes:

In this day and age I would have thought that CFD + wind tunnel would have covered the entire flight envelope. It would seem, reading between the lines, that not all required testing was actually performed...

212man
11th May 2017, 10:58
Report here - pretty grim: http://www.ansv.it/cgi-bin/ita/Relazione N609AG.pdf

9Aplus
11th May 2017, 12:54
Better use this link
ANSV - Agenzia Nazionale per la Sicurezza del Volo (http://www.ansv.it/It/Detail_relazioni.asp?ID=2046)

Nige321
11th May 2017, 16:24
Or this one in English (http://www.ansv.it/cgi-bin/ita/Final%20Report%20N609AG.pdf)

SansAnhedral
11th May 2017, 17:43
Over-reliance on SIMRX combined with modifications with no functional explanation (at least stated within the report).

I guess I was closer than I thought with my original (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/569872-aw609-tiltrotor-prototype-crashes-during-test-flight-2.html?highlight=tiltrotor#post9417300) assessments (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/569872-aw609-tiltrotor-prototype-crashes-during-test-flight-3.html?highlight=tiltrotor#post9418822)

Hot and Hi
18th Oct 2018, 16:18
While Leonardo awaits FAA certification of its AW609 civil tiltrotor next year, the company has asked the FAA to waive the agency's requirement for one (1) flight-based touchdown autorotation and to permit the company to use a simulator instead.

Dan Wells, Leonardo's AW609 test pilot, told R&WI Oct. 12 that the company believes it can demonstrate the touchdown autorotation by using the company simulator, rather than run the risk of damaging an AW609 and its parts.

Full article see here Rotor & Wing 12 Oct 2018 (https://www.rotorandwing.com/2018/10/12/leonardo-asks-faa-allow-simulated-touchdown-autorotation-aw609/?marketo_id=12299848&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1NMU5XWTFPRE01TTJKaiIsInQiOiJzNFp6QlVqQXBT bk1NbGN2b3RGMU1IaWF3Um51c2JYb3RnMzRFa0o5bFJoT002Y1kwWkkxVjFw Um5zV0poYkQ0cEc4Z1wvbWxDM0ZGMEVBSmsrRStQMmFHcHNpT3ZHTUo4bitE XC9yMG1QbmJraHhmTkxrZXhvQzVtU1wvY1FuSjRYYSJ9)

212man
18th Oct 2018, 20:01
I assume they have avoided HV curve demonstrating then, because that is a much higher risk test regime.

tartare
18th Oct 2018, 21:44
That's incredible - it doesn't look like it could auto-rotate - I'd just assumed the disc loading would be too high and it would be too heavy.
Seems they're already thinking of a SAR role:
https://www.slideshare.net/webfinmeccanica/aw609-for-search-and-rescue
It'd be ideal for long-range, over water winching off ships - the sort of thing done off the coasts of Australia and NZ.
Great for medivac too.

JohnDixson
19th Oct 2018, 02:24
Spot on 212. But doing the H-V and the Cat A tests await, sooner or later. I wondered at the emphasis on “ simulation “. Could it be that they intend to do the autorotative descent, approach, flare, and then do a power recovery-their interpretation of a simulation: everything less the touchdown? There is precedent for that, although in military certification.

SASless
19th Oct 2018, 12:12
Tilt Rotor Autorotation performance IS a risky business.

One source of information:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/v22-report.pdf

A Quote from the USMC Osprey Fact Book found at DTIC.

Myth: The V-22 is unsafe because it can’t autorotate

Fact: The V-22 is a tiltrotor and does not rely on autorotation for
a survivable power-out landing. The wide separation of the engines and the ability to drive both rotors with one engine make a power-out landing extremely unlikely. However, if required, the V-22 can glide for a predictable run-on landing in airplane mode, much like a turboprop.

From a "Vertical" Article:

If Things Go Bad
Nearly every system in the Osprey is triple-redundant. There are three flight control computers, three lightweight inertial navigation systems, three hydraulic systems and four generators. The V-22 only requires one of these systems to safely continue flying; the others exist for safety purposes, yet have identical functionality. This doesnt mean that things cant go wrong as with any aircraft, there are obvious emergencies that require learned procedures to overcome.
Stalling the Osprey is a definite possibility when youre flying in the low end of the airplane-mode flight envelope. Typical stall speeds occur around 105 to 110 KCAS, depending upon aircraft conditions; fortunately, its rare to be flying that slow without having converted. One situation that can be encountered, however, is an accelerated stall, because the stall speeds can increase upwards of 140 KCAS as the bank angle increases.
Normal stall characteristics in the V-22 are very benign: about the only indication that the airplane is stalled is the increase in descent rate on the display. Because the Osprey exhibits blown wing characteristics, it is very difficult to develop a full stall, thereby making the effects less dramatic. Continuing into a full stall will result in a nose-down pitching moment, but the effect is not nearly as dramatic as with some airplanes. Recovery is the same as with any airplane: reduce the control stick backpressure and apply full power: the Osprey will break the stall almost immediately. On the primary flight display, a stall meter is displayed below a 35-degree nacelle setting, showing a dynamic percentage of the stall to assist the pilot.
Probably the most discussed issue with the Osprey is the lack of autorotational ability. Of course, the Osprey spends the overwhelming majority of time flying as an airplane, so its easy to see that the need for autorotation is pretty minor but as Murphys Law states, when you least expect it, things can indeed go bad very quickly.
Technically, the Osprey can actually enter autorotation, although the flight characteristics are extremely poor. Reduce the TCL to the full aft position with the nacelles full aft and the rotor system is being powered solely by the upward flow of air through the rotors. The greatest detriment to the autorotational capability of the Osprey is the very-low-inertia rotor system, which doesnt store as much energy as a traditional helicopter rotor system. Rotor r.p.m. will bleed off very quickly if the autorotation is not entered almost immediately, and it is very difficult to recover lost r.p.m. Stopping the nacelles at the full aft position is also critical, because any edgewise airflow over the rotor will rapidly decay r.p.m. This also corresponds to very poor qualities during the flare and touchdown portions of an autorotation. The autorotational descent rate is quite large about 5,000 feet a minute and an aggressive and rapid flare is necessary to arrest that rate. An increase in r.p.m. will be briefly noticed here; but, again, due to the low inertia of the rotor system, that gained r.p.m. will very quickly start to decay.
Autorotations are taught and practiced in simulators with varying degrees of success. The simulators are designed to indicate a crash if any structural load limitations are exceeded; most autorotations end in a red screen. The truth of whether an autorotation is survivable, though, is hard to define. Chances are that an autorotation in an Osprey would be an extremely difficult maneuver, with survival owed more to luck than skill.
The loss of both engines in airplane mode requires very similar emergency techniques as utilized in a twin-engine airplane. However, as mentioned earlier, unlike an airplane it is impossible to feather the proprotors. The glide ratio of the Osprey is about 4.5 to 1 and the rate of descent while windmilling is about 3,500 feet a minute at 170 KCAS. Landing speeds vary with aircraft weight, but a middle-of-the-envelope speed is 130 KCAS. Unfortunately, the proprotors will definitely impact the ground, and converting the nacelles is not recommended. A safety design feature of the proprotors, however, is for them to broomstraw and throw the resulting fibers away from the fuselage to minimize damage to the occupants. Unfortunately, this characteristic has been tested in accidents; fortunately, it works as advertised.

FH1100 Pilot
19th Oct 2018, 22:02
I know that a lot of helicopter guys whine and moan about it, but this whole "Osprey can't autorotate" thing is just silly. First of all, do we take CH-53E's out, shut all three engines off and go to the ground? Do we take King Airs up and shut 'em both off and glide to a landing? Why would we ever do that?

Secondly, let's think about when an Osprey autorotation would be necessary? The thing would not be converted to helicopter mode way up high - they do that when they're descending and decelerating for landing. Meaning that the Osprey would be quite low...probably too low to successfully transition from powered flight to autorotation.

We have to get off this thinking that a total power-off event could happen to multi-engine aircraft. We need to accept the fact that if it ever happens, it won't be pretty. So have the crews practice it in the sims. And then hope they never have to do it for real.

SASless
19th Oct 2018, 23:38
The question relates to certification more than to operations.

Does the various authorities allow the aircraft to be certified by use of Sim. Demo's only or not....or does the aircraft have to be flown in the tests to prove what its performance is?

Where does an authority draw the line between theory and reality when certifying a passenger carrying aircraft?

josephfeatherweight
20th Oct 2018, 05:36
https://www.rotorandwing.com/2018/10/12/leonardo-asks-faa-allow-simulated-touchdown-autorotation-aw609/?marketo_id=12299848&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1NMU5XWTFPRE01TTJKaiIsInQiOiJzNFp6QlVqQXBT bk1NbGN2b3RGMU1IaWF3Um51c2JYb3RnMzRFa0o5bFJoT002Y1kwWkkxVjFw Um5zV0poYkQ0cEc4Z1wvbWxDM0ZGMEVBSmsrRStQMmFHcHNpT3ZHTUo4bitE XC9yMG1QbmJraHhmTkxrZXhvQzVtU1wvY1FuSjRYYSJ9
"We also have PT6 engines, which never fail."
Well, there ya go!

CTR
20th Oct 2018, 11:45
Over ten years ago Bell pilot Roy Hopkins flew 609 Ship 1 on an autorotation test flight that proved the aircraft rotors had sufficient energy to safely land the aircraft. In airplane mode the engines were brought to idle and an emergency reconversion to helicopter mode was conducted. Roy then executed an autorotation manuver that reduced aircraft vertical decent to zero and forward speed to near zero. The only thing missing from this test flight being acceptable for certification was it was conducted at altitude and the aircraft never touched the ground.

So what Leonardo is requesting is only simulation of the aircrafts handling qualities as the aircraft touches down. Not if the rotors can arrest the aircrafts decent in autorotation.

Added note. Roy actually pulled to much collective and Ship 1 not only stopped decent by increased altitude before it was reduced to achieve simulated touchdown. Proving the aircraft has rotor energy reserve.

JohnDixson
20th Oct 2018, 15:41
CTR,thanks for the note about an exceptional bit of airmanship/test flying by Mr. Hopkins, whom unfortunately I have not met but whose reputation had certainly reached our test pilot office.

Your last line provokes a question as to why, therefore, it is now seen by Bell as needful of being demonstrated by simulation only ( assuming simulation means a full flight simulator ) rather than a flare to a power recovery demonstration? Engine response time or other engine/airframe interface consideration?

SASless
20th Oct 2018, 16:08
The PT 6 is pretty darn reliable....but as anything mechanical, designed, built, maintained, and operated by Humans....it is not infallible.

By November 2015, 51,000 had been produced logged 400 million flight hours from 1963 to 2016, it is known for its reliability with an in-flight shutdown rate of 1 per 651,126 hours in 2016.

Medevac999
20th Oct 2018, 16:18
So what the license requirements? Can it be flown on a ATPL H (EASA).

9Aplus
20th Oct 2018, 16:57
Good point :)

CTR
20th Oct 2018, 18:39
Your last line provokes a question as to why, therefore, it is now seen by Bell as needful of being demonstrated by simulation only ( assuming simulation means a full flight simulator ) rather than a flare to a power recovery demonstration.

The 609 is now fully a Leonardo responsiblity for certification. Bell is only in a limited supporting role I believe.

Certification for safe autorotation landing allows for limited damage to the aircraft to occur. My guess is that Leonardo does not want to cause any damage to their expensive and limited flight assets.

JohnDixson
20th Oct 2018, 19:51
Understand your response and concur, up to the point that you correctly refer to as a Leonardo decision. My curiosity is why, given the past flight test experience, why they choose not to demonstrate a maneuver that "would not require exceptional pilot skill ". The last phrase isn't FAA language, but a military requirements document just to be sure. Makes the point clear, though.

212man
21st Oct 2018, 12:16
So what the license requirements? Can it be flown on a ATPL H (EASA).
Of course not! It’s not a Helicopter - it’s a Powered Lift aircraft and will require a new category of license.

SASless
21st Oct 2018, 13:02
If one holds an ATPL for both Multi-Engine Airplane and Helicopter....what credit will the authorities give for that when concocting the requirements for the Powered Lift qualification you reckon?

212man
21st Oct 2018, 13:29
If one holds an ATPL for both Multi-Engine Airplane and Helicopter....what credit will the authorities give for that when concocting the requirements for the Powered Lift qualification you reckon?
i haven’t seen anything out there, but haven’t exactly had looking for it front of mind recently! My belief is that there would be something like a 60/40 or 70/30 balance of credit in favour of H/A.

wrench1
21st Oct 2018, 14:03
do we take CH-53E's out, shut all three engines off and go to the ground? .
Don't know. But the S92 had to 2x to get Part 29 cert and nobody really wanted to do a 3rd from what I was told.

CTR: Certification for safe autorotation landing allows for limited damage to the aircraft to occur. My guess is that Leonardo does not want to cause any damage to their expensive and limited flight assets.
Problem is the 609 is not being certified to Part 29 or Part 25 for that matter but under Part 21 as a "Special". There's been talk of a "Powered Lift" reg for years but nothing yet.

SASless: If one holds an ATPL for both Multi-Engine Airplane and Helicopter....what credit will the authorities give for that when concocting the requirements for the Powered Lift qualification you reckon?
Had a cold beverage with a DER friend who stated a person would probably be able to get a commercial astronaut rating before a tiltrotor rating the way things were going........

SASless
21st Oct 2018, 14:14
I am thinking the 53E did EOL to a power recovery. due to there only being two prototypes.....and only one that was fully instrumented for flight test data purposes. Also....the 53E was a military protocol not a civilian certification.

one thing for sure.....if the Brits ran a commercial Lunar Landing Program the Operator would require the Astonauts to pay for their own Type Rating!:E

JohnDixson
21st Oct 2018, 15:46
Hello Wrench 1, from the fellow who did the two S-92 auto’s. You only have to do one, successful data point that meets the FAA criteria. FAA Part 29 doesn’t require a set of maneuvers etc.

In our case, we did the first one and it was fine, EXCEPT that in getting the N2’s close, in case I called for power at the last moment, Bob Spaulding nudged the throttles a bit too much and one of the engines N2 actually joined the Nr trace just at touchdown. That engine torque was zero on the data traces, so we could have successfully argued the point, but the first one went well enough* so we had a short conversation with the telemetry crew and decided it was easier to do another and not have a tenuous discussion. That probably also answers your second comment.
*Knowing that we were going to do a full on auto sooner or later, I ended a lot of flights with a power recovery auto just to get comfortable with the speeds and flare point, pitch rate and max attitude. And of course on the day in question, we did a couple of power recoveries as a warm up for everyone involved.

wrench1
21st Oct 2018, 17:14
from the fellow who did the two S-92 auto’s.

I saw some videos of your tests plus had a couple friends involved in the process. Big aircraft, big flare! Were you looking out the skylight to get your reference?:)
I've been in a few Astar full autos with a big flare but can't imagine what it was like in that big tub. At least with a nose wheel you didn't ride over on the nose and rip out your pitot tube....

JohnDixson
21st Oct 2018, 18:27
Wrench 1 wrote:
“At least with a nose wheel you didn't ride over on the nose and rip out your pitot tube....”

Indeed an issue with some machines. Once upon a time in a place called Camp Holloway, I had a side job as unit Standardization Pilot and gave the newbies a local check ride/local procedure ride, which included some power recovery autos. The point of which was simple: the Central Highlands had a lot of red clay and in dry season the coefficient of friction of that stuff was a very big number, thus in any real auto, one wanted to get as close to zero speed as possible in the flare. One young aviator just out of Ft Rucker was really not getting it slowed down, so at the end of his flare and rock over to level I told him I had the controls and began a takeoff from say 20 kts. Put the nose down, raised the collective and got to maybe 50 ft when the T-53 stalled and the Nr drooped. Managed to get it level and used what potential energy still in the rotor to cushion, but we were going maybe 25 or so on flat red clay. Ship rolled up on its nose and broke the chin bubbles but I kept the cyclic centered so the tail was ok. New engine, plastic and skids and it flew the next day. Wasn’t quite sure it wasn’t going to nose over to be honest. The main rotor was very close to hitting the ground directly in front, but didn’t.

ShyTorque
21st Oct 2018, 20:26
Secondly, let's think about when an Osprey autorotation would be necessary?

How would a one-sided transmission failure be dealt with?

bigglesbutler
21st Oct 2018, 20:50
With regard to the license requirements I recently had a conversation with the 609 training team in Philly and showed them the CASA powered lift requirements, link below. He was a little surprised CASA already had the implementation planned, powered lift PPL, CPL and ATP all available.

Open the table of contents at the top of the page, select Volume 2, Part 61 and scroll down to the relevant license.

CASA regulations (https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00621/Html/Volume_2)

212man
22nd Oct 2018, 08:40
With regard to the license requirements I recently had a conversation with the 609 training team in Philly and showed them the CASA powered lift requirements, link below. He was a little surprised CASA already had the implementation planned, powered lift PPL, CPL and ATP all available.

Open the table of contents at the top of the page, select Volume 2, Part 61 and scroll down to the relevant license.

CASA regulations (https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00621/Html/Volume_2)

Technically true, but no reference to credit for other types of aircraft and currently only achievable by an ex-military PL pilot I would say (unless I missed something).

bigglesbutler
22nd Oct 2018, 09:20
50 hrs in the 609 sim and bobs your uncle, 609 type and Powered lift license. Thats how I read it but it has yet to be done so we shall have to see.

si

SASless
22nd Oct 2018, 15:21
The FAA does allow for a Military Pilot to obtain a Commercial Pilot License under the "Military Competency" method.

How will that work for those Military Pilots rated in the V-22 Osprey or any of its derivatives?

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/mcn_acs.pdf

Jack Carson
22nd Oct 2018, 16:45
Does the 609 have a traditional collective power control or is it configured with the V-22 type Blottle?

SplineDrive
22nd Oct 2018, 18:36
Does the 609 have a traditional collective power control or is it configured with the V-22 type Blottle?

Last time I was in the sim it had a more traditional collective, not the V-22 setup. I assume it hasn’t been changed during AW’s ownership of the program, but I suppose that’s possible.

SansAnhedral
22nd Oct 2018, 19:35
609 and V280 use a conventional "collective" arrangement, both to ease the transition of rotary wing pilots already familiar with the setup. The TCL on V22 so far is the only implementation of the other paradigm.

chopper2004
20th Oct 2022, 21:37
N609PH made a first with achieving long range flight Verigiate to Dubai last October. It was there for both the World Expo and the Dubai Air Show (of which I attended) so here are my photos below.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/bd162ec7_fa14_4cec_aee1_69815f6a7dd3_47c57c8f3e4499d00dc0194 e8536ecaa0a80723d.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/1761daec_bfc9_4928_a208_20bf2ee14830_80c98a896b5efacff33d812 b5f4c3532271606e8.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1863x1397/55c67e53_de6c_4dfc_aae2_a4d82dd7a474_aa194b244b59179c7e58cc1 380114ad4302514b0.jpeg

cheers

chopper2004
20th Oct 2022, 21:39
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-10-19/first-production-leonardo-aw609-flies

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x980/54e1c7a3_316e_4ecc_85c5_fcac8ffa393b_71abb23c78a8b543dfb551d 086c36d8bcc5fc747.jpeg

cheers

SASless
20th Oct 2022, 23:23
Is it me....or is the unpainted green job the better looking paint scheme?

Tickle
21st Oct 2022, 01:42
I prefer the painted one. The mismatched engine cowlings don't work for me.

If I recall correctly, one of the EMS operations in Australia was seriously considering one of these.

I don't know much about they work. Do both engines power a common gearbox to keep both props turning if one engine fails? Does the wing take over the load for gliding if both props stop? I wonder if these things have been tested if so.

CTR
21st Oct 2022, 11:49
Do both engines power a common gearbox to keep both props turning if one engine fails? Does the wing take over the load for gliding if both props stop? I wonder if these things have been tested if so.

Yes, like the V-22, both prop rotor gearboxes are shafted together to allow a single engine to power both rotors in the event of a failure.

Additionally, unlike the V-22 that needed to compromise rotor diameter to fit on the deck of an aircraft carrier folded, the 609 rotors are large enough to provide capability for auto rotation all the way to the ground safely.

Evil Twin
22nd Oct 2022, 09:49
I think it has its merits as a tool and here in Australia on EMS to locations without a strip it would be hard to beat. As an EMS pilot I'd love to see how it would go for remote work. That said, and not a criticism, most of the population is based around the coast and more often than not a helicopter can get the job done. Inland, a different story.

JohnDixson
22nd Oct 2022, 13:43
CTR-any idea what the auto descent rate is at max weight? Ditto for auto Nr?
Also, did the certification authority require an autorotation landing?

SASless
22nd Oct 2022, 13:52
The Achilles heel of the Osprey as I understand it is the lack of a full regime autorotative landing capability....compounded by its OEI weight limits in OGE Hovers.

Flights of Fusion
22nd Oct 2022, 15:59
A shame it couldn't have been a type rating that could be acquired, perhaps for dual rated pilots, then as a whole separate license category.
Definitely limits the pool available who are cleared to fly it to either being military trained or civilians with a boatload of money.

CTR
22nd Oct 2022, 19:57
CTR-any idea what the auto descent rate is at max weight? Ditto for auto Nr?
Also, did the certification authority require an autorotation landing?

Like the V-22, the 609 has the ability to perform a run on landing in the event AEO. So for certification I recall it being a marketing plus, not a requirement.

The aircraft max weight has grown since AW took over responsibility, so I cannot state if it is possible at max weight.

When Bell test pilot Roy Hopkins flew the simulated auto rotation test flight, he throttled both engines back in airplane mode, proceeded to go through emergency reconversion to VTOL mode, the simulated and autorotation to ground landing at a safe altitude to allow recovery. Looking at the telemetry altitude traces, upon first flaring for the autorotation landing the aircraft actually gained altitude and required lowering the collective to finally land.

The 609 minimum Nr is actually more critical to maintaining support to the fly by wire systems continued operation versus adequate kinetic energy for auto rotation. When reconverting to VTOL excessive Nr decay from lack of air flow windmilling the rotors can cause generators and pumps to go off-line.

RVDT
22nd Oct 2022, 20:18
I think it has its merits as a tool and here in Australia on EMS to locations without a strip it would be hard to beat. As an EMS pilot I'd love to see how it would go for remote work. That said, and not a criticism, most of the population is based around the coast and more often than not a helicopter can get the job done. Inland, a different story.

You may have a different view when you take into account the downwash levels of these things. Sure it will probably be less than a V22 but still high. GW versus Rotor Diameter.

Even a Bell 412 is not really suitable in Aus. Winching they bring down branches from trees that are an issue for whoever is on the winch cable for example.

https://youtu.be/ozGifDuywu8

SASless
22nd Oct 2022, 21:14
Ground clearance between the fuselage and ground looks awfully low of off airport/helipad landings....similar to the S-76.

JohnDixson
23rd Oct 2022, 01:10
CTR thanks-and let me ask if I understand correctly, that the AEO run on utilizing wing aerodynamic lift is THE AEO procedure but there will also be a rotor autorotation capability offered as a plus?

Second question is about the simulated rotor autorotation, where the flare resulted in an altitude gain. Just theorizing, but the 609 has a decent sized wing and depending on the speed at flare, the altitude gain may have been mostly wing lift related? Of course, if the flare speed is decreased too much to avoid excessive wing lift, it might be too low to obtain a boost in prop rpm ( potential energy to be used for the pitch pull at landing ). I’d guess that by now, they have done additional simulation, varying pitch rate and max pitch attitude, and have all that resolved…..at least insofar as simulation can be trusted for these type dynamic maneuvers.

Well, time to try some real power recovery auto’s and find out what is what.
Can one assume that rooftop procedures will be developed for the 609?

CTR
23rd Oct 2022, 02:16
CTR thanks-and let me ask if I understand correctly, that the AEO run on utilizing wing aerodynamic lift is THE AEO procedure but there will also be a rotor autorotation capability offered as a plus?

Second question is about the simulated rotor autorotation, where the flare resulted in an altitude gain. Just theorizing, but the 609 has a decent sized wing and depending on the speed at flare, the altitude gain may have been mostly wing lift related? Of course, if the flare speed is decreased too much to avoid excessive wing lift, it might be too low to obtain a boost in prop rpm ( potential energy to be used for the pitch pull at landing ). I’d guess that by now, they have done additional simulation, varying pitch rate and max pitch attitude, and have all that resolved…..at least insofar as simulation can be trusted for these type dynamic maneuvers.

Well, time to try some real power recovery auto’s and find out what is what.
Can one assume that rooftop procedures will be developed for the 609?

John,

As always, there is never a simple answer. As you pointed out, a wing and forward air speed provide lift in addition to the rotor inertia. So depending on 609 weight, pylon angle, altitude, forward speed, distance to and length of potential places to land, the pilot needs to make some critical decisions. Do I do a running landing, shoot for a full autorotation landing, or a combination of both.

I wish I could give you the detail flight envelope
limits, but I not been connected with the 609 for almost a decade now.

JohnDixson
23rd Oct 2022, 10:55
Thanks, CTR. Its an interesting aerodynamic and piloting procedural subject. Perhaps we’ll have the benefit of someone close to the program who can contribute.

CTR
23rd Oct 2022, 18:42
Thanks, CTR. Its an interesting aerodynamic and piloting procedural subject. Perhaps we’ll have the benefit of someone close to the program who can contribute.

John,

This 2010 AHS award announcement may provide a lead. I recall the same year that Roy and Geoff made a presentation to a flight test pilot association meeting. That presentation should have the information you are looking for for the aircraft configuration at that time. But as I advised you, things may have changed.

The Frederick L. Feinberg Award is presented to the helicopter pilot or pilots who have made the most outstanding achievement in the previous year. This year’s award is given to Bell Helicopter experimental test pilots Roy Hopkins and Jeff Greenwood for completing a crucial milestone during 2009 including a reconversion test of the BellAgusta BA-609 illustrating the tiltrotors’ ability to land safely following an all-engines inoperative emergency.

https://vtol.org/news/ahs-announces-2010-award-recipients