PDA

View Full Version : 65 Years Ago Today

Warmtoast
7th Feb 2017, 08:51
How time flies - 65-years ago today I took this photo of the flag outside Station HQ at 5 FTS (RAF Thornhill - S. Rhodesia) flying at half mast. It marked the death the day before (6th February 1952) of King George VI and accession of our present queen to the throne.
WT

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/Thornhill%20-%20Flag%20Half-Mast_zpsmtsmcvvl.jpg

Fareastdriver
7th Feb 2017, 09:18
I was walking back from the NAAFI at 4 FTS (RAF Heany, Southern Rhodesia) to my father's married quarter. Over the trees I could see the ensign at SHQ at half mast.

That evening my mother had to make up a black armband for my father to wear.

Planemike
7th Feb 2017, 22:13
Yes, anniversary of the first time a reigning British monarch flew on a commercial airline. East African Airways DC3 Nanyuki to Entebbe.

Chugalug2
8th Feb 2017, 07:32
The BBC was playing endless sombre music on the radio, without seemingly explaining why. I was sent around to the local shop on an errand for a loaf of bread or some such. I asked them if their radio was similarly afflicted. "Don't you know? The King is dead!" I was abruptly told, as if I should have somehow realised the implication as a 10 year old.

Hydromet
8th Feb 2017, 08:14
I do remember hearing it on the radio when mum put the news on in the morning, but my main memory is the Manly Ferries flying mourning flags.
Later, I remember being taken with the rest of the school to Manly Oval on a freezing cold day, in purple crepe smocks, to rehearse some sort of parade to celebrate the coronation, but don't recall ever actually doing the parade for real.

The Oberon
8th Feb 2017, 09:30
I can remember, as a 6 year old, being taken, at some ungodly hour, to get a good place on The Mall. My introduction to UK ceremonial. We actually "camped out" the previous night on The Mall for the Coronation.

M-62A3
8th Feb 2017, 10:21
One of my earliest aviation memories comes from that day. I was four and three quarters in February 1952 and we then lived in a small farming hamlet near Scunthorpe. I recall the next door neighbour came round to tell my mother she had heard the announcement of the King's death on the news While they were talking at the door a small aeroplane flew over. The image I have retained for the past sixty-five years is that of an Auster.
My mother remarked it must be a private plane - presumably based on an assumption that the RAF, etc., were grounded that day as a mark of respect. Was she correct in that assumption?

Wander00
8th Feb 2017, 13:21
M62 - I was a week off my 6th birthday and on half term I guess (because I was at home) when the woman across the road came to tell my Mother, in reverential terms, that the King had died. They were both in tears. The King and Queen Elizabeth were highly thought of, especially as a result of their behaviour during the war. Never wise to get the parents on the subject of Edward VIII and Wallis S though

Old Photo.Fanatic
9th Feb 2017, 10:34
I was walking through the school hall and heard over the radio loudspeaker that the King had died.
I went into the classroom and announced that the king had died.

The teacher then gave me a real *ollocking and told me not to spread false alarm and despondency amongst the rest of the class.
He was a real nasty SOB at the best of times.:*

OPF