PDA

View Full Version : A DIFFERENT TYPE OF GEARBOX

Fareastdriver
4th Feb 2017, 11:01
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Interior_view_Pantigo_Windmill_East_Hampton_Suffolk_County_N ew_York%282%29.png

It’s not the interior of a helicopter gearbox. It’s the workings of the Pantigo windmill in East Hampton built in 1804 but it is a demonstration of the technology used in modern gearboxes. There have, in recent years, been a number of accidents because of the failure of this system either through failing structurally or not having the correct lubrication. Future designs suggest that this system, which has been in use since the 15th Century, is going to be persevered with even though the stress management and manufacturing standards required are reaching their practical limit.

It is time to look at an alternative system?

Mechanical System. Rubber bands or chains. Has been proven in a small way in 10,000 R22/44s. It has a lot of history as a prime means of keeping the components of an automobile’s internal combustion engine apart. 50k miles is the normal operating time of a cambelt and the failures during that period are virtually unknown. It is quiet, can be made to handle a large amount of energy and, if required, can be doubled up as a safety measure. Properly designed it can be flexible enough to run around a pulley system so that it can transfer energy through right angle drives. Whether it can handle thousands of kilowatts of mechanical energy is to me, unknown.

Electrical System. Generators and motors. Thousands, soon to be millions of cars are going to be propelled this way. Even helicopter manufacturers are toying with it. It has been around for over a century with electrically powered trains with a large number generating their own in situ. The Turmo IIIC, the Puma helicopter’s first engine, started off this way, To convert 1,000 kw of gas turbine power via a generator to a motor capable of reproducing that power within a reasonable weight frame is a different problem but is it within the bounds of possibility. Electric motors, receiving a controlled frequency can rotate at a fixed RPM therefore negating reduction gears with their weight and lubrication problems.

Hydraulics. The construction industry show how much energy can be moved around with very little quantities of oil. The source of the pressure is generated by a rotating engine so that pressure needs to converted back to rotary motion. Chrysler invented the fluid drive in the 1930s and that led to the almost universal use of automatic transmission in the USA. The transmission itself is not the answer as that incorporates planetary gears which is what we are trying to avoid but the fluid drive itself is a possibility. The kit that controls in-flight refuelling gear is an example. That uses a variable level of fluid to control the torque on the drogue to keep it neutral for the receiver. The amount and the cooling requirements for the hydraulic oil would be a problem but not necessarily insurmountable. Alternatively hydraulic motors could be designed to rotate at high torque and low r.p.m..

Like all things that break with tradition any alternative system has to overcome the prejudice and suspicion of those that are going to use it. It is possible. Operations now use equipment that would be considered science fiction fifty years ago. I know damn all about the finer points of design and manufacturing so I cannot fathom my own questions. However I will throw it in so people can think about it and come up with any dreams or ideas.

G0ULI
4th Feb 2017, 12:02
Whatever new design might be created would need to be as efficient as the current technology in use. A toothed drive belt formed as a mobius strip to equalise wear could be a solution. Such belts have been used in industry for years transporting mine waste and other heavy objects. The main issue is the join between the ends of the belt creates a weak spot that is prone to failure. It might be possible to eliminate the join by using 3D printing type fabrication, so the belt is formed with a half turn in one continuous piece. The advantage here is that drivebelts can provide changes of direction and gearing within a single unit.

In order to avoid inefficiency it is necessary to reduce any slippage or backlash in the drivetrain to as close to zero as possible. Electrical and hydraulic systems perform at a disadvantage compared to direct mechanical connection through gearing or toothed belts. Chain drives can be very efficient but the complexity of the links and multiple potential failure points make them unsuitable for this task.

400hover
4th Feb 2017, 16:56
I believe that the traditional system used in gearboxes will stay for more yeard and at least 2 or 3 generations of helicopters.

The improvement will be in the materials used for gearboxes.

5th Feb 2017, 11:11
Back to the Fairey Rotodyne then:ok:

Fareastdriver
5th Feb 2017, 17:57
I didn't mention the Rotodyne, believe me, I can still hear it, or the tip jet helicopters of which there was a fair number because the drive was not mechanically through the gearbox.

I think 400 is right about it's continued use in the foreseeable future.

I was being interviewed in about 1975 and the board asked me my opinions on the concept of a Fly by Wire helicopter. I replied that I did not believe that it would come to pass in that century. My interviewers obviously thought that it was just around the corner so I failed in that application.

Back in 1962 as a spotty faced Pilot Officer on my first squadron, (V force) I was buttonholed by an Engineering Branch Air Vice Marshall who told me that I was in a dead end job because all pilots were going to be replaced by missiles in ten years.

They are two experts who got it wrong.

dipperm0
5th Feb 2017, 19:37
Westland created a new concept of gear box, the one used on the Lynx. It wa

Fareastdriver
5th Feb 2017, 20:14
cycloid gears?

jimf671
5th Feb 2017, 23:15
Cambelts? Don't start me. I was designing auxiliary gear drives on diesel engines during the period when cam belts were becoming increasingly popular.

They were a shoulder-sloping cost reduction for makers of smaller engines. Cheap easy initial build and after that the consumer, most often a secondhand buyer, bears the cost of maintenance and the trade gained a nice little earner.

People were popping into the office trying to sell us chains or belts. The belts were being sold as quieter even though we could already buy chains that were quieter than belts and lasted the life of the engine.

Things are not always what they seem.

6th Feb 2017, 21:27
The Lynx design was a 3-pinion gearbox that was able to absorb the full power of one engine in the event of OEI (something many helos struggled to do). The input drives from the engine were able to distort slightly so a lower ring gear was engaged to spread the load across the three pinions (two engine and one TR) which was then fed into the MR planet gear,