PDA

View Full Version : February Fool's Joke = Naval Eviction??

unclenelli
1st Feb 2017, 20:09
I've checked the calendar and today is 1st of FEBRUARY, not 1st of APRIL!

Check this out, Culdrose are getting evicted!!!!!!!
Cornwall locals to be evacuated due to EU pollution laws | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4179320/Cornwall-locals-EVACUATED-EU-pollution-laws.html)

So Cornwall think it is cheaper to build 7 new towns, than a few bypasses, in order to comply with EU Law??????????????????????????????........................... ......on the day we discuss Article 50?????????????????????..................................... or a way to ensure Article 50?????????????????????? HHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Won't that just move the pollution problem to the new towns and leave 7 ghost towns to wrack & ruin/blight on the landscape/end AONB status

Hangarshuffle
1st Feb 2017, 20:19
Always love those pictures I think taken by google earth cameras as used on the Daily Mail link..
Other than a Cornish benny who the **** wears a bobble hat, deep cut Brit mil camouflage jacket and grows a sports beard and long hair on a clearly warm Summers day?

Bing
1st Feb 2017, 21:40
Because the first thing I think when I go to Cornwall is **** me the pollution here is worse than London...

nimboboy
1st Feb 2017, 22:08
This is Cornwall Council don't forget, them of the "we can run RAF St Mawgan better than the RAF can" and "we don't want those noisy jets here to upset the visitors", not very bright then and haven't improved at all, still costing us millions a year, problem is it's not really the councilors who run the show, it's the officers who don't come up for re-election.:ugh:

TorqueOfTheDevil
2nd Feb 2017, 08:46
This is Cornwall Council don't forget, them of the "we can run RAF St Mawgan better than the RAF can" and "we don't want those noisy jets here to upset the visitors", not very bright then and haven't improved at all

Totally. Perhaps the air pollution comes from whatever the council are smoking in seemingly industrial quantities...

longer ron
2nd Feb 2017, 09:15
Yes the SNP are on this bandwagon as well,a main/busy 'A' Road goes through our town centre anyway :hmm:
Perth council are trying their damndest to kill off our small towns with various measures.
When I walk through our local towns up here - the majority of people are heavy smokers anyway so I cannot see much if any health improvements,unless they bypass the towns of course.
There is also a huge alcohol and drug problem up here,so good luck with any health improvements with that lot.

Non Emmett
2nd Feb 2017, 09:32
Nimboboy refers to the Cornwall County Council officers, don't be too concerned about them, they come and go and a rate of knots, hang about for a spell then either move on to some even more lucrative job upcountry or are handsomely paid off.

As for new roads to overcome the air pollution problems - a 2.6 mile stretch of the A30 across Bodmin Moor is being dualled at present, has taken eighteen months so far and was due to be completed in spring, now put back to July. Cost is £90 million. And this Council runs Newquay Airport though it seems passenger numbers of late are up from very depressed earlier levels.

ImageGear
2nd Feb 2017, 10:51
Genuine question.

How come Cornwall has so much air pollution when the prevailing winds are South Westerly, sea breezes are a regular occurrence and it is geographically a rather thin peninsular? Is it perhaps all originating in Northern France?

Also, how does it compare with, for example, Euston Road, London.

Imagegear

barnstormer1968
2nd Feb 2017, 11:34
Imagegear.
The pollution you ask about in Euston Road is an entirely different issue. I remember seeing a protest where a Black Lives Matter spokeswoman was saying that London's air pollution is racist as it affects blacks more than whites.
The population of Cornwall are mainly white so it must be like comparing apples and oranges.

Of course, she may have just been a publicity seeking creature eager to protest.

Martin the Martian
2nd Feb 2017, 11:38
Not sure why Culdrose would be evicted, but there you go.

For a few years now there has been a pollution monitor on Wesley Street in Camborne, which features high density terraced housing originally built for the mining community along both sides apart from where Tesco and Centenary Methodist Church stand. The road is narrow and with the houses either side it is akin to driving through the Death Star trench -without the TIE Fighters. When the first results became available they were shockingly high, as bad as if not worse than pollution in big cities, and they have remained high ever since. The road is nearly always busy, and the pollution has nowhere to go except into the houses which crowd the road. This is the sort of thing that causes the problem, and the areas highlighted have very similar layouts. There is already a bypass around Camborne, by the way.

Of course, if Cornwall Council planners did not keep approving housing schemes in which the housing pushes right up to the road -as it now does on the other side of the Wesley Street Tesco as well- that would help. In any case, there seems to be a growing realisation that pollution is becoming a big problem, and until central government takes an interest local authorities will have to struggle on as best as they can -as usual. If nothing else it certainly helps to highlight the issue.

Fonsini
2nd Feb 2017, 12:12
I can't help but think that all these pollution/road congestion/bypass arguments all stem from the simple fact that the UK is chronically overcrowded. Every time I come back for a visit the cramped living conditions are immediately apparent.

racedo
2nd Feb 2017, 13:21
I can't help but think that all these pollution/road congestion/bypass arguments all stem from the simple fact that the UK is chronically overcrowded.

Cornwall overcrowded...................... you having an animal on a Safari Park with a long neck.

Heathrow Harry
2nd Feb 2017, 13:22
well yes compared to Arizona but no when compared to New York or S California

Martin the Martian
2nd Feb 2017, 19:29
Cornwall overcrowded...................... you having an animal on a Safari Park with a long neck.

In August, definitely. Not so much in the other eleven months.

Planet Basher
2nd Feb 2017, 19:34
Cornwall is very nice, I love the smell of radon in the morning.

thunderbird7
2nd Feb 2017, 21:18
Typical Maily Dail scaremongering bollox. Nasty europe - good brexit. Total crap.

noflynomore
3rd Feb 2017, 12:52
Even though it is being flagged up right, left and centre people still fall for this ridiculously obvious fake "news".

How could Cornwall, the esternmost place in UK possibly suffer from significant pollution? It has the cleanest air in the country!

Isn't it blindingly obvious this is disinformation and cannot possibly be true?

Elvis got ducks pregnant on the Moon, anyone?

ORAC
3rd Feb 2017, 13:21
Noflynomore - in which case the local council is in in the joke......

Residents may be forced to move away | St Austell Voice (http://www.staustellvoice.co.uk/news/73/article/6177/)

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/environmental-protection/environmental-protection-air-quality/clean-air-for-cornwall-strategy/

noflynomore
3rd Feb 2017, 13:48
ORAC, if this is the case in small towns in the cleanest air in the UK then what hope is there for our cities and areas further downwind which are a thousand times bigger and thus more polluted? By the same measure they must surely be totally uninhabitable and should be evacuated immediately. Do we hear calls for this? Has it even been suggested? No! Then I submit that the Cornish thing must be gross overreaction. What is your explanation?

BEagle
4th Feb 2017, 07:28
Sounds remarkably like pseudo-scientific greenwash to me...

One wonders whether this was cobbled up by the same people who used the rainfall data to build those ridiculously huge storm drains on the road from RAF Mount Pleasant to Stanley... They took the annual figure as the monthly figure, hence the drains are able to cope with 12x the average rainfall...:rolleyes:

bobward
4th Feb 2017, 10:28
Re post 17 stating that Cornwall is the easternmost part of the UK. Even to me, living in EAST Anglia, that seems a bit off......

Even we Norfolk folk know our directions, and Cornwall certainly isn't in eastern England.....

BEagle
4th Feb 2017, 11:33
Indeed! And a 'high six' to all our Naarrfak viewers!

FantomZorbin
5th Feb 2017, 08:00
:D:D:Dhttp://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

76fan
5th Feb 2017, 08:26
Bobward,

Suggest that you read line 3 of post 17 again.

Tankertrashnav
5th Feb 2017, 11:11
One of the towns mentioned is Redruth. I must confess that if I lived in Redruth and the council offered me cash to move away I'd snatch their hand off!

TTN (Camborne boy ;) )