PDA

View Full Version : Trivia question for fast jet pilots

tu chan go
1st Feb 2017, 04:54
This is a trivia question for military fast jet operators who wear the RAF style anti-g trousers. I've been flying military fast jets for 38 years and I've never heard a plausible answer.

What is the purpose of the little pocket on the front of the waist band? Its about 1 1/2 inches square and has a plastic press stud fastening.

I've seen some pilots tucking their flying gloves into it but its obviously not designed for that. I've asked around the office and no-one seems to know what its for.

Lets see who the master of all aviation trivia is :)

newt
1st Feb 2017, 05:22
Surely that's where you keep your packet of three! Similar to that little pocket behind the belt of your No1 jacket!👍👍👍👍👍

Dan Winterland
1st Feb 2017, 05:39
Fighter pilots can go the distance with three?

tartare
1st Feb 2017, 08:20
A little pocket?
Surely not...?! ;)

NutLoose
1st Feb 2017, 08:50
Maybe it is to put your gold Sovereigns in for when you go down in bad peoples territory, or in the case of some of those that frequent here, possibly Doubloons.

:E

NutLoose
1st Feb 2017, 08:56
Off hand it wouldn't be to stow a blank / cover for the end of the G suit hose when not in use?

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/377412-how-does-sir-madam-organise-his-her-flightsuit.html

Tashengurt
1st Feb 2017, 08:56
It's for a cloth to wipe kneeboards with.

sycamore
1st Feb 2017, 11:25
Gentlemen aviators keep their silk handkerchief there,Jag pilots keep an `incontinence` pack in it...

Just This Once...
1st Feb 2017, 11:36
Told similar but I used to tuck my gloves in there. For a kneeboard wipe I had a small bit of rag tied around the end of my chinagraph - this also made grabbing it easier and allowed for one-handed adjustment of the chinagraph. I also adopted the technique of taking a large clean rag with me to clean screens, canopy etc - especially when I adopted the (frowned-upon) writing of 9-line info on the canopy technique.