PDA

View Full Version : What Ship

Shayc307
31st Jan 2017, 15:00
Hello everyone. I'm looking for opinions on what ship to get and why. I'm starting a new business venture an already have a few ships in mind but looking for more input. Mission details, ship will primarily be used for Ag/light utility work, spraying/wildlife survey/predator control, spraying being main mission. Kicker will be that majority of work will be from 5000ft-8000ft most of that between 5000-6000. For comparison two competitors in the area, one is running a 206b3 and the other an R66. I don't have unlimited funding, the R66 would be pushing the envelope on the initial investment but could be done if it would pay off in the long run via operating costs. Would be running between 150-300 hours a year. Just looking for input from people who have actually owned and operated these ships or similar and know their operating costs, including Insurance etc. thanks in advance!

hueyracer
31st Jan 2017, 17:48
Bell 205.

They come cheap and do exactly what you want it for already...cheaper than a r66...

I could hook you up with a big company specialized in them, and can do your ratings if required..

krypton_john
31st Jan 2017, 19:27
Huey, did you mean to say Bell 206?

hueyracer
31st Jan 2017, 19:29
No..what do you want to do with a 206?

They can sell you one as well....but for the price of a r66 or a good 206, you can also buy a cheap 205....

Gives you more payload.....

FLY 7
31st Jan 2017, 19:48
What about a Hughes 500. And there's also a kit for the En480B

LRP
31st Jan 2017, 21:04
never owned one, but I've operated the heck out of Longrangers. You can't get much more versatility for the money at the PA's you mentioned.

Gordy
31st Jan 2017, 21:26
I have some high altitude L4's that would do the job. I suspect they are out of your price range though.

Hueyracer:

but for the price of a r66 or a good 206, you can also buy a cheap 205....

Would love to see that, I have never heard of them that cheap. You can buy a restricted Huey for the same price but cannot carry pax.

FlimsyFan
31st Jan 2017, 21:38
We operate an R66, albeit at much lower DA than you are talking about. If you'd like some true running costs and my experience wrt to real world performance, feel free to PM me

FF

noflynomore
31st Jan 2017, 22:26
Ship?

Ship???

Shayc307
31st Jan 2017, 23:08
Thanks fellas, yea I never even thought about a 205 because I assumed they were out of the budget, an from what little research I just did it seams that they are, although I would love to have one!

The 500 and the 480 have both been on my research list also, so any real life experiences with cost to operate them are also very welcome, I know for sure the 206b3 and the 66 will do the job along with the 480 and 500, I'm just trying to decide what the most ecenomical route to go will be in the long term. L4 would be great although a little overkill for what I need and out of my price range.

But keep the info coming boys I really appreciate all the help I can get! Also another factor I should mention, business will be a single pilot operation, being me, an also I'm not an A&p or IA so reliability is going to be huge. I know they are Helicopters so there will be maintenance but the fewer maint issues the better as always.

I know the other operator in the area chose the 66 based mainly on that concern alone as he isn't AP or IA either an said although he probably would have rather had a B3, he didn't have quick access to a full time mechanic and had heard of other guys fighting the 206s more with little issues, oil seeps, etc that he didn't have the time or know how to deal with. He now has 600 hrs on his new 66 without taking it to the shop except for 100hrs.

SuperF
31st Jan 2017, 23:20
Agree with Gordy, you will get a UH1 around JR/LR pricing, but if anyone has a Civil 205 available for sale for 206 price let me know. I will buy it!

If your work is mainly spraying, and utility a UH1 would give you far more helicopter than any of the others, and put you in a different market to the guys already there.

SASless
1st Feb 2017, 00:53
Shayc,

Northwest Helicopters in Olympia, Washington might be a very good place to start if you are want to know about Hueys...as Brian Reynolds the owner there knows a thing or too about them. He also knows the spray business as well.

rrekn
1st Feb 2017, 12:00
Ship?

Ship???

I'm with you Nofly... Who calls them ships?

vaqueroaero
1st Feb 2017, 13:12
Although the 205/Huey is a great helicopter if you are going to try spraying with it think carefully. What are you spraying? If your intention is to get in on the corn run there are a lot of farmers/growers/agronomists that won't use an aircraft of that size because if you have to take off over the crop the downwash flattens it leading to yield loss. We run an early model 206 and it's a phenomenal workhorse, we rarely have any trouble with it, even though it's nearly 45 years old. We do primarily spraying, wildlife surveys, etc with it.

500guy
1st Feb 2017, 22:28
I love the 500 but I dont think it is the ship for you for two reasons.
It is considered to be fairly poor for ag work because it has a very narrow swath due to the downwash when compared to a OH-58 206 or 206L. Unless you are willing to pay 25% more per acre, you need a bigger rotor.

500s are fairly hard to maintain correctly. A properly dialed in 500 is one of the most stable, reliable, safe and fun aircraft in the world but it takes a lot of time and money to get it dialed in. The guys who know how to do it right are few and far between and I'd say 9/10 of those guys work for the 500 operators, not repair stations. With the 500 not everything you need to know is the books, they need a lot of TLC over and beyond the manufacturers requirements. If you do decide to go for a 500 you will want to consider C20R engine at that altitude.

If I were you I'd be looking for an OH-58 or a 206L3 or a 206L1C30

Huey's are great, but I think I may be a lot more helicopter than you want.

paco
2nd Feb 2017, 08:58
Good advice there - the C30 P in an L model is great. If I'm not mistaken, the 206A does not suffer from start cycles - it was one reason why we used it a lot for pleasure flying.

Phil

hueyracer
2nd Feb 2017, 13:06
Ever considered an Enstrom (no experience on it) or something similar like a "Lama" or Alouette?

Pablo332
2nd Feb 2017, 16:00
Try a 225 or a 61 they have proven sea going capability.

Shayc307
2nd Feb 2017, 16:39
Thanks a lot fellas! Lot of good info here! Especially on the 500 since I was considering it. Thanks.

Hughes500
2nd Feb 2017, 17:34
Never had much problem with all my 500's ,had 206's can't say much difference in running costs really other than you get a faster machine able to carry more with a 500! Big problem is their second hand values are huge, but they hold on to their value.
Would never ever have a C20R engine they are a heap of junk in a 500. All the 500's I know that have had engine problems have all had C20R's. I think it is to do with the engine being mounted at 45 degrees ?????
On another side I know which I would want to be in if you stuff it in !

500guy
2nd Feb 2017, 18:57
We operate 5 C20Rs with no issues. They used to have coking issues, but that was 15+ years ago. now they are a great engine.

Hughes500
2nd Feb 2017, 21:00
We are always having problems with ours !

500guy
3rd Feb 2017, 15:07
Coking? what oil are you using? Who overhauled it last and how long ago?