PDA

View Full Version : RAF Top Gun award?!

nipva
31st Jan 2017, 11:16
A friend sent me a recent cutting from an obit in a Canadian newspaper marking the passing of an ex-RCAF pilot that contained the following phrase:
'With 22 years of serving as a fighter pilot with the RCAF, he received the honour of Top Gun while on exchange with the RAF'
In my 30+ years as a 'fighter pilot' I never came across such an award even after the eponymous film but this is supposed to have occurred in the 1980s. I am assuming that this is another example of media exaggeration but, just as likely, I may be wrong..

Timelord
31st Jan 2017, 13:17
Wasn't there a board somewhere in Decci for each detachment's "Top Gun"?

MACH2NUMBER
31st Jan 2017, 13:32
It was probably a local award. I received 2 trophies for best APC scores, Top Gun written on and pre the Top Gun movie.

Drainpipe
31st Jan 2017, 14:09
I flew with a Canadian exchange pilot whilst on an F3 squadron in the late 80s. We were the first recipients of the Spitfire Trophy for A-A gunnery. The trophy was presented to us by the AOC 11 Gp, AVM Palin, and the president of the Spitfire Society at a formal lunch at Bentley Priory. The RCAF ran an particle on us both in their magazine which I think was called Sentinel.

Nipva, i would be obliged if you could PM me the name.

Old Speckled Aircrew
31st Jan 2017, 14:29
David TOWER Obituary - Calgary, AB | Calgary Herald (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/calgaryherald/obituary.aspx?pid=183267698)

Drainpipe
31st Jan 2017, 14:39
A sad day. Dave was a great guy, huge fun to fly with and a true gentleman.

JN

Hangarshuffle
31st Jan 2017, 14:45
All good stuff but when was the last time an RAF "fighter " pilot actually shot down another real fighter, in a real fight in the air?
I'm guessing Falklands conflict but most of the pilots were FAA.
Got to be WW2?

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
31st Jan 2017, 14:48
How about Korea? There were pilots on attachment to US and Aussie squadrons. Maybe others.

Aaron.

Drainpipe
31st Jan 2017, 14:56
Can we keep this thread to comments about the sad passing of a fellow aviator and not use it for general discussion about historical interest. If you need to know the answers, Google is your friend.

Old Speckled Aircrew
31st Jan 2017, 15:11
True, but the original post did kinda ask a question

nipva
31st Jan 2017, 15:25
Thanks Drainpipe and I will forward your reply to my Canadian friend. My attempts at discretion were clearly short-lived as both the gentleman's name and the newspaper article concerned have now been quoted.
Prune proves its worth yet again

RedhillPhil
31st Jan 2017, 15:29
All good stuff but when was the last time an RAF "fighter " pilot actually shot down another real fighter, in a real fight in the air?
I'm guessing Falklands conflict but most of the pilots were FAA.
Got to be WW2?

I saw this question in a quiz a little while ago. The answer given was 1945. Arguably one answer was Dave Morgan in the Falklands but he was on secondment to the F.A.A. at the time.

Mogwi
31st Jan 2017, 15:43
8th June 1982, SHAR ZA177 - A4Bs C-226 and C-228 with AIM9L.

Heathrow Harry
1st Feb 2017, 09:58
Also in Korea - There were 17 x RAF pilot's that competed exchange tours with USAF F-86 units during the Korean War. Five of these accounted for 6 MiG's, two of them by one pilot, Graham Hulse, who was later KIA, as was another RAF pilot.

There were also, 32 RAF pilots that competed exchange combat tours with 77 Sqn RAAF flying Meteor F.8's.

Now ift it's RAF pilots in RAF planes the answer is 1945 - amazing 77 years!!!

charliegolf
1st Feb 2017, 10:01
Now ift it's RAF pilots in RAF planes the answer is 1945 - amazing 77 years!!!

'Cept for Inverarity and Lawrence, of course.

CG

Red Line Entry
1st Feb 2017, 10:21
Ah, but the quote was shot down another real fighter.

Inverarity and Lawrence killed a Jag :ok:

charliegolf
1st Feb 2017, 13:07
Ah, but the quote was
Quote:
shot down another real fighter

Inverarity and Lawrence killed a Jag

Doh! Feel so silly now.:ok:

MACH2NUMBER
1st Feb 2017, 18:51
Come off it everyone,
Top Gun was never to do with war kills. It was always a training accolade. Real aces got medals and honours.