PDA

View Full Version : over 50? Born in Aden?

Been Accounting
29th Jan 2017, 17:42
Were you planning on going to the USA this summer?

Shack37
29th Jan 2017, 17:56
over 50? Born in Aden?
Were you planning on going to the USA this summer?

Yes, no and no

Herod
29th Jan 2017, 21:21
Aden pre 30 Nov '67 wasn't Yemen. It was a British Protectorate (I think, if not still part of the Empire) so I guess if you were the child of the "Occupying Forces" you'd be British Citizen.

JW411
30th Jan 2017, 08:41
That's right; in my time (1965 - 1967) it consisted of Aden Colony, East Aden Protectorate (EAP) and West Aden Protectorate (WAP).

teeteringhead
30th Jan 2017, 09:32
Many people - including Sir Mo - seem not to have read the small print. (I assume this is about the Donald's travel restrictions.)

The restrictions apply - it seems to me - if you have a passport from one of those countries, AND are travelling directly from that country to the US of A.

But never let the facts get in the way of a good knee-jerk!

ORAC
30th Jan 2017, 09:33
Why, are you having a reunion?

No restriction on UK-Yemeni citizens travelling to the USA from either the U.K. or Yemen - if you were making a making an oblique remark about the latest US presidential order.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/presidential-executive-order-on-inbound-migration-to-us

"The Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has today held conversations with the US Government and as a result we can clarify that:

The Presidential executive order only applies to individuals travelling from one of the seven named countries.

If you are travelling to the US from anywhere other than one of those countries (for instance, the UK) the executive order does not apply to you and you will experience no extra checks regardless of your nationality or your place of birth.

If you are a UK national who happens to be travelling from one of those countries to the US, then the order does not apply to you – even if you were born in one of those countries.

If you are a dual citizen of one of those countries travelling to the US from OUTSIDE those countries then the order does not apply to you.

The only dual nationals who might have extra checks are those coming from one of the seven countries themselves – for example a UK-Libya dual national coming from Libya to the US....."

If that doesn't answer your question, there's a thread in Jet Blast.

ian16th
30th Jan 2017, 12:12
Children of UK service personnel, born outside of the UK are treated as something less than 100% UK citizens by the USA. This has been so since before Trumps executive order.

I am aware that someone born at RAF Akrotiri Hospital, which is inside the Sovereign Base Area, have 'Cyprus' as their place of birth, in their UK Passport!

This complicates applications for US visa's.

melmothtw
30th Jan 2017, 12:49
Aden pre 30 Nov '67 wasn't Yemen. It was a British Protectorate (I think, if not still part of the Empire) so I guess if you were the child of the "Occupying Forces" you'd be British Citizen.

Yes...and no. Speaking as a forces brat born outside of the UK, I concur with Ian16th who notes that the US authorities invariably regard place of birth and nationality as the same thing (and it's up to you to prove otherwise). Also, even though I am British (born to UK parents in a UK hospital in a UK-administered territory) I have the dual-nationality of that other country on account of being born there.

melmothtw
30th Jan 2017, 13:03
The restrictions apply - it seems to me - if you have a passport from one of those countries, AND are travelling directly from that country to the US of A.

Which makes absolutely no sense, as all of the "bad dudes" (as Trump himself put it) will just travel via a third country, or have I missed something?

212man
30th Jan 2017, 13:41
Which makes absolutely no sense, as all of the "bad dudes" (as Trump himself put it) will just travel via a third country, or have I missed something?
I'm pretty sure there no direct flights from Iran (for instance) to the US, so this doesn't would seem in theory (and practice) to be applying to anybody from the 7 countries. Iranian PhD student stopped in Frankfurt - for example.

Shackman
30th Jan 2017, 14:29
ian16th - all too true unfortunately. Both my sons were born in Cyprus (one BMH, the other TPMH), both have full British passports with place of birth Cyprus, and both have had problems with US authorities (at different times). However, I should also add that once things were explained properly it seems the database was suitably amended and they have not had problems since.

ORAC
30th Jan 2017, 14:52
I'm pretty sure there no direct flights from Iran (for instance) to the US, so this doesn't would seem in theory (and practice) to be applying to anybody from the 7 countries. Iranian PhD student stopped in Frankfurt - for example. it will be to cover directly booked through flights where the individuals don't clear security at the transit airport.

Existing airline systems don't send API/PNR messages to the transit airport for transit passengers , so their security services don't get informed. Instead the information is sent to the final destination airport, in this case the DHS et al.

Where the passengers disembark and clear security and check-in again they will be relying on the transit nation security services to take action.

212man
30th Jan 2017, 15:06
ian16th - all too true unfortunately. Both my sons were born in Cyprus (one BMH, the other TPMH), both have full British passports with place of birth Cyprus, and both have had problems with US authorities (at different times). However, I should also add that once things were explained properly it seems the database was suitably amended and they have not had problems since.
Never had any problem myself (Born in PMH Akrotiri) and, of course, as a UK citizen there is no visa requirement to travel to the US (except recently for those that have visited Iraq, Iran Syria and others in the last 6 years). On the other hand, if my mother had not been CASEVAC'd to Cyprus, in late pregnancy, things might have been different as I'd have been born in Libya (father based in Tobruk)!

Brat
30th Jan 2017, 18:43
One wonders why Trump would have chosen to restrict Muslims travelling to the US???????

Other left wing, liberal, ultra PC, Democratic Party supporting folks wonder why people elected someone like Trump?????

The world is truly a mysterious place.

Herod
30th Jan 2017, 19:03
Statistics show that by far the majority of terror attacks in the US since 9/11 have been carried out by either US born citizens or naturalised citizens (over 200) while non-immigrant visa holders, illegal immigrants and refugees account for about 30. (source - New America) He would be better beefing up surveillance of the home-grown terrorist.

engineer(retard)
30th Jan 2017, 19:06
I thought Muslims can still travel, I don't recall passports showing religion. As for travel bans, try wandering around the world with an Israeli stamp in your passport. I demand immediate protests.

lasernigel
30th Jan 2017, 22:31
As for travel bans, try wandering around the world with an Israeli stamp in your passport.

My brand new passport was "ruined" 3 years ago at Tel Aviv, Despite asking the girl at immigration 5 times not to stamp my passport, she looked up at me stamped it then laughed.

ian16th
31st Jan 2017, 08:34
Never had any problem myself (Born in PMH Akrotiri) and, of course, as a UK citizen there is no visa requirement to travel to the US (except recently for those that have visited Iraq, Iran Syria and others in the last 6 years). On the other hand, if my mother had not been CASEVAC'd to Cyprus, in late pregnancy, things might have been different as I'd have been born in Libya (father based in Tobruk)! My understanding was that being born 'outside of the United Kingdom' disqualifies one from 'visa free entry' to the USA.

This was the problem that my friends child had.

Must amplify, it is all hearsay as I have a 100% UK born of UK parents, plus 6 documented generations, UK passport, and always travelled to and from the USA on a B2 visa.

teeteringhead
31st Jan 2017, 11:24
My understanding was that being born 'outside of the United Kingdom' disqualifies one from 'visa free entry' to the USA. Not in my experience - or to be precise in the experience of the senior daughter, who was born in BMH Rinteln.

Maybe easier for the cousins to understand Germany because of all their troops and families there.....

pasta
31st Jan 2017, 11:35
Statistics show that by far the majority of terror attacks in the US since 9/11 have been carried out by either US born citizens or naturalised citizens (over 200) while non-immigrant visa holders, illegal immigrants and refugees account for about 30. (source - New America)
And, as widely circulated, more than twice as many Americans are shot by toddlers as are killed by terrorists of any nationality...

Wander00
31st Jan 2017, 12:59
Ban toddlers in the US.......No it is not funny - banning guns would have more benefit to the US than Trump's idiotic travel ban. And hats off to the AG who had the guts to stand up to him.

Herod
31st Jan 2017, 13:05
And hats off to the AG who had the guts to stand up to him.

And has just been dismissed. Where is this all going to end?

Regarding carrying arms, I can't really see the objection to limiting it to say one (visible) sidearm, with a limited capacity chamber (think six-gun). Why does the NRA insist that it is necessary to have semi-automatic, or even automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines? The original amendment goes back to the days of muskets, when it was necessary to be armed, partly for protection against animals/other humans and partly because of the need to maintain a State's Militia. The world has moved on.

Shack37
31st Jan 2017, 20:40
My brand new passport was "ruined" 3 years ago at Tel Aviv, Despite asking the girl at immigration 5 times not to stamp my passport, she looked up at me stamped it then laughed.

For this reason, before retiring, myself and colleagues all had two Passports.
It also allowed the company to apply for visas, when necessary, on the second PP if the holder was already travelling or out of the country when a visa for somewhere else was required.

ORAC
1st Feb 2017, 09:02
And hats off to the AG who had the guts to stand up to him. AG in question was an Obama political appointee whose resignation had been accepted and was continuing to serve temporarily whilst the Democrats delayed the confirmation of her successor. She just took the opportunity for a bit of virtue signalling and flounced rather than walked out the door.

Wander00
1st Feb 2017, 09:38
I disagree, she took the line she had declared at her affirmation hearing. Sure she would have been replaced anyway by Trump, but IMHO she stood up for what she believed was correct, not a line always taken by Government law officers here or in the US

SimWes
1st Feb 2017, 17:36
Unfortunately when filling out the ESTA, it doesn't give you a choice to put anything other than Yemen if you stem from the good old Aden times...

melmothtw
1st Feb 2017, 19:28
Unfortunately when filling out the ESTA, it doesn't give you a choice to put anything other than Yemen if you stem from the good old Aden times...

Indeed, hence my point earlier about the US equating place of birth with nationality. I have been lucky in that my place of birth is currently in the EU, and so has had no restrictions placed on it beyond those that have been placed on the UK. Dread to think how you'd get round being born in Aden/Yemen or even somewhere like Hong Kong though.

SimWes
2nd Feb 2017, 11:47
Indeed, hence my point earlier about the US equating place of birth with nationality. I have been lucky in that my place of birth is currently in the EU, and so has had no restrictions placed on it beyond those that have been placed on the UK. Dread to think how you'd get round being born in Aden/Yemen or even somewhere like Hong Kong though.

Having said that, it was approved.....

Blacksheep
2nd Feb 2017, 12:14
Children of UK service personnel, born outside of the UK are treated as something less than 100% UK citizens by the USA....and by UK too. I was born in South Africa while my father served at Simon's Town Naval Base. I was determined by the Home Office to be a South African citizen and at the age of 21 had to apply for "citizenship by descent". For this you have to prove that your parents are British by birth, your parents were legally married at the time of your birth and your father is the legitimate son of a father who is British by birth.

This class of citizenship does not confer British citizenship on any of one's children who are born outside the UK after 31st December 1982.

This not the same as naturalisation, which presumably carries similar restrictions upon one's descendants. Upon being told that he was either Irish or Pakistani, Spike Milligan refused to apply for naturalisation and emigrated to Australia.

melmothtw
2nd Feb 2017, 14:20
Having said that, it was approved.....

Not sure how you'd get on now.

SimWes
2nd Feb 2017, 15:13
Not sure how you'd get on now.

Was approved after the announcement

November4
2nd Feb 2017, 17:05
My understanding was that being born 'outside of the United Kingdom' disqualifies one from 'visa free entry' to the USA.

This was the problem that my friends child had.

Must amplify, it is all hearsay as I have a 100% UK born of UK parents, plus 6 documented generations, UK passport, and always travelled to and from the USA on a B2 visa.

Born in Aden in 1964. My passport says place of birth - Steamer Point. My driving licence shows Yemen as country of birt though as Aden was not an option in the list of countries.

2 years ago, I applied for an ESTA and had to select Yemen as country of birth as no option for Aden and got the ESTA no problem.

I now travel to the US regularly and was able to obtain an A1 visa with no problems.